First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply What do you use to hunt with?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

flipmane wrote:


It's the mall ninjas who spend way too much on a mediocre quality weapon, and say "it's the best"
If your new manufacture $1200 dpms ar15 was truly the best, my 40 year old system shouldn't be able to hold a candle to it.

If you're willing to pay out the ass for good gear like Ranwolf does, you know with good training and a lot of practice, that you can shoot small groups at almost any distance.


I have nothing but the utmost respect for old rifles, I own several world war 2 ones, the pride of that collection being a Type 99 Long Rifle I spent nearly 8k restoring to almost factory spec..had to rechamber her as her native round is just not to be had for money or love.
18016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Right off nowhere
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Ranwolf wrote:


flipmane wrote:


You must not like compound bows, then?


Nope, show me a person claiming to be an archer using a compound boy and I'l show you a lazy pretender to the title of archer. Single stave, recurve, hell even those annoying as hell to make composite bows are the only weapons of choice for a real archer. You have to earn that prefect hit with one of those, in both raw muscle power and skill.

Those bloody tacticool jobs that are compound bows..Forgot about it. Pulley's and even freaking scopes and acog style sights. Jeez just get a AR-15 and stop pretending.


I wound't go as far as calling someone that uses a compound bow a lazy pretender. Would you call Rodger Willett, Crystal Gauvin, Erika Jones, or the Wilde family lazy pretenders? Do you consider professional recurve archers that use aluminium bows with sights and stabilizers lazy pretenders as well? It does take more skill to shoot a primitive bow (stave, recurve, composite) effectively and more effort to keep the skill, but shooting any bow (except crossbow) takes skill and dedication. Compound bows have been around since the early 70's and have come along way in advancements in technology which makes them easier to use.

IMO crossbows to be are for the lazy over all. There are exceptions of course, i know many people that can no longer draw a bow and still get to enjoy hunting because of the crossbow.

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

ashiszen wrote:



I wound't go as far as calling someone that uses a compound bow a lazy pretender. Would you call Rodger Willett, Crystal Gauvin, Erika Jones, or the Wilde family lazy pretenders? Do you consider professional recurve archers that use aluminium bows with sights and stabilizers lazy pretenders as well? It does take more skill to shoot a primitive bow (stave, recurve, composite) effectively and more effort to keep the skill, but shooting any bow (except crossbow) takes skill and dedication. Compound bows have been around since the early 70's and have come along way in advancements in technology which makes them easier to use.

IMO crossbows to be are for the lazy over all. There are exceptions of course, i know many people that can no longer draw a bow and still get to enjoy hunting because of the crossbow.



Yes, yes I would. But regardless of my personal opinion on them all the gear you've just described is the exact reason I think so poorly of compound bows. They are just as bad as all the wanna be soldiers with their AR-15s. Slinging rails and accessory's onto rifles for reasons no combat vet would ever understand.

A bow does not need to be made of aircraft aluminium with a sight that'd put the most hard core AR-15 owner to shame. Nor does a bow need to be stabilized with counter weights. I mean I could understand all this crap if we were still using them as weapon's of war but even when we were archers managed to put holes into knights wearing full plate without all that tech. I mean damn you're taking down a deer not trying to stop a horde of camel jockey's..Don't get me started on people who only shoot the bow for sporting purposes.
6947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Ranwolf wrote:


KevHunt wrote:



All of which are obsolete technology and in most states you can't hunt with a .223. Most achery hunters learn with a recurve or long before moving up to a compound.


First off I am going to point out the irony of an archer calling anything obsolete. Secondly I can out perform any of these lazy pretenders with their compound bows with the very first long bow I made let alone the last I made. And only quitters move on to a compound bow, there is only half the skill and strength required to use one of them after all.

And in the end archery isn't about cutting edge performance. If I wanted that I use my C14. It's about style, skill, and sportsmanship versus your prey. And a hunting tool I made from raw wood, time, and more effort then I care to remember will always be the choice of any real archer.


I agree with you. When I see compound bows, I see pretty. I would used it to get a feel of a bow first. Then I after a couple of tries, get proper training on how to used a proper bow.
18016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Right off nowhere
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Ranwolf wrote:


ashiszen wrote:



I wound't go as far as calling someone that uses a compound bow a lazy pretender. Would you call Rodger Willett, Crystal Gauvin, Erika Jones, or the Wilde family lazy pretenders? Do you consider professional recurve archers that use aluminium bows with sights and stabilizers lazy pretenders as well? It does take more skill to shoot a primitive bow (stave, recurve, composite) effectively and more effort to keep the skill, but shooting any bow (except crossbow) takes skill and dedication. Compound bows have been around since the early 70's and have come along way in advancements in technology which makes them easier to use.

IMO crossbows to be are for the lazy over all. There are exceptions of course, i know many people that can no longer draw a bow and still get to enjoy hunting because of the crossbow.



Yes, yes I would. But regardless of my personal opinion on them all the gear you've just described is the exact reason I think so poorly of compound bows. They are just as bad as all the wanna be soldiers with their AR-15s. Slinging rails and accessory's onto rifles for reasons no combat vet would ever understand.

A bow does not need to be made of aircraft aluminium with a sight that'd put the most hard core AR-15 owner to shame. Nor does a bow need to be stabilized with counter weights. I mean I could understand all this crap if we were still using them as weapon's of war but even when we were archers managed to put holes into knights wearing full plate without all that tech. I mean damn you're taking down a deer not trying to stop a horde of camel jockey's..Don't get me started on people who only shoot the bow for sporting purposes.


I can understand your opinion,I do not agree with it, but I can understand where you are coming from. I feel the same way about crossbows and the spray and pray hunters. I don't do too much archery any more, well not enough for the old recurve I have to be considered skilled enough for ethical hunting.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Darksoultaker wrote:

.30-06 for deer, i have a vortex scope on it and i love it.

for elk i use a 300 Winchester Magnum with a leupold.

i hunt in Nevada Area 10 Ruby Mountains. gorgeous area if you arent familiar with it.

i dont really buy meat at the supermarket. i prefer a good lean cut of something i can provide with my own efforts.

its like a vacation every other year ( whenever i can draw a tag ha )




This isn't the off-ramp you are looking for.
3018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

VZ68 wrote:


Darksoultaker wrote:

.30-06 for deer, i have a vortex scope on it and i love it.

for elk i use a 300 Winchester Magnum with a leupold.

i hunt in Nevada Area 10 Ruby Mountains. gorgeous area if you arent familiar with it.

i dont really buy meat at the supermarket. i prefer a good lean cut of something i can provide with my own efforts.

its like a vacation every other year ( whenever i can draw a tag ha )




This isn't the off-ramp you are looking for.


Lmao I didn't expect anyone to really know anything about the area ggnore
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Darksoultaker wrote:
Lmao I didn't expect anyone to really know anything about the area ggnore


Spent quite a long time crossing that area, almost bagged me a mule deer (with my truck) on 95, and there are enough pronghorns bouncing around that area (which I also almost hit a couple) I did bag me a couple of badgers (with my truck) in Battle Mountain.
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

flipmane wrote:


cosmicpup wrote:

I use a bear longbow or a recurve I made myself. However, I only hunt when I need to. For food and such, and always use every bit of whatever animal I kill.


Does it make me a bad person that I don't use the bones to make tools? I use the meat and the skin.


Donate the bones to a local dog shelter?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
I usually use my single shot 410 for squirrel hunting. I don't like deer hunting, because I can't sit still long enough for it.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
I don't hunt so I don't use any weapon. I'd never go hunting either because presumably to hunt you would need some sort of gun. People who own guns scare the hell out of me.
6638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
If I was in a hunting mood I would use my Mosin-Nagant 91/30.
35784 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
I don't hunt, or would hunt but I do like to shoot
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Online
Posted 1/5/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:

I don't hunt so I don't use any weapon. I'd never go hunting either because presumably to hunt you would need some sort of gun. People who own guns scare the hell out of me.


Having a locked case full of simple machines, and the parts required to make them run locked elsewhere shouldn't make you afraid, but I guess everyone is different.

You can hunt with a bow, too. You can even fish with a bow, or fish in a stream with a trident.. hell, you can even hunt with hawks or a machete like they do in Mongolia.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/6/16


flipmane wrote:


eclair-lumiere wrote:

I don't hunt so I don't use any weapon. I'd never go hunting either because presumably to hunt you would need some sort of gun. People who own guns scare the hell out of me.


Having a locked case full of simple machines, and the parts required to make them run locked elsewhere shouldn't make you afraid, but I guess everyone is different.

You can hunt with a bow, too. You can even fish with a bow, or fish in a stream with a trident.. hell, you can even hunt with hawks or a machete like they do in Mongolia.


A gun is a weapon designed to kill. Yes, it's supposed to be used on animals but who knows when someone will snap and turn it on a human? I'd be scared of anyone who owns a bow and a machete too.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.