First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply In what ways is misanthropy justified?
Posted 1/3/16
What gives you the impression that misanthropy needs to be justified?
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:
It's based on how you feel towards people and women?


Dislike is a feeling. Even dislike towards humankind. For instance--I bloody hate my aunt, and certainly people can understand or find it a logical feeling when given the circumstance. Nevertheless, emotions never work off of an objective basis--for then who defines it? Or should I say, what? It's subjectively understood or rationalized, so it depends on the individuals you ask. When we get justification for our emotions...when is it then simply an excuse? Is anything we feel truly ever justified? I argue that our feelings are understood and perhaps rationalized to a degree. What that degree that is usually depends on subjective worth of it defined by the majority of individuals.

42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16




Sorry to get off topic but...

5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Sure, at face value, it is justified. I mean, mankind has done some truly horrific things.

If you take a deeper look at it, I don't think it's honest or realistic. Mankind has just begun on its journey through life, in the grand scheme of things. You can't really find fault in the fact that we've got faults. If you do, you're being unrealistic.

If aliens have visited, they probably haven't made themselves known due to our issues, but at the same time, they haven't held it against us to the point of destroying us. And if aliens have not, but do visit us in the future, I'd like to think that they realize humanity is still in the early stages of growth, and would be kind enough to spare us.

People who hate mankind would find more productivity in understanding this and trying to fix mankind, the best they can, for future generations.

EDIT: I do think that hating ourselves for being omnivores who eat meat is probably the worst reason. Animals are not as intelligent as humans, they do not think as humans do. We don't torture agricultural animals, that's a myth, and pets are more likely to be the subject of animal cruelty. In fact, distress before death can cause a poor taste in meats, so it is generally avoided. Pigs are probably the most intelligent agricultural animals, but if you kill a pig and leave it in the pen, the other pigs will eat it. Chicken eat chickens, too. And if cows ate meat, I'm sure cows would eat cows. Agricultural animals have no understanding that they are simply meat, they just live happy lives until they die so that we can live. Sure, be thankful for it, but don't hate yourselves over it.

Hell, people trip me out. They can sit there and watch stories about rape and murder on the news, never batting an eye, and then cry at the humane society commercials.

Of course, that's just my opinion.


I'm one of those people. I like animals more than I do humans.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:
Sorry to get off topic but...





We are humans and yet we can dislike people at times.



42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16



I don't know. I use to think of myself as a borderline misanthropist. Where I HATED and liked humanity. Now I don't know how to feel about the human race. I don't want to love them because human beings don't deserve my love. Yet hating them is somewhat pointless to me. So I don't know how to feel about humanity.


I do know that Homosapiens are a very peculiar species. I don't understand them maybe because I don't understand myself.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

I don't know. I use to think of myself as a borderline misanthropist. Where I HATED and liked humanity. Now I don't know how to feel about the human race. I don't want to love them because human beings don't deserve my love. Yet hating them is somewhat pointless to me. So I don't know how to feel about humanity.


I do know that Homosapiens are a very peculiar species. I don't understand them maybe because I don't understand myself.


Usually hate for people, women, and that sort of strong emotion is really unhealthy. It's particularly more conflicting to daily life than simply a person you can avoid. Been there done that. Have to learn to let it go, otherwise it will start eating physically at your body--not just your mind.

Negative emotions are better fleeting, so you're right on the degree of it being not worth holding onto.

Healthier to just tilt your head and be complacent with not understanding.

Self introspection is the best kind of inquisition if yah ask me.



42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I don't know. I use to think of myself as a borderline misanthropist. Where I HATED and liked humanity. Now I don't know how to feel about the human race. I don't want to love them because human beings don't deserve my love. Yet hating them is somewhat pointless to me. So I don't know how to feel about humanity.


I do know that Homosapiens are a very peculiar species. I don't understand them maybe because I don't understand myself.


Usually hate for people, women, and that sort of strong emotion is really unhealthy. It's particularly more conflicting to daily life than simply a person you can avoid. Been there done that. Have to learn to let it go, otherwise it will start eating physically at your body--not just your mind.

Negative emotions are better fleeting, so you're right on the degree of it being not worth holding onto.

Healthier to just tilt your head and be complacent with not understanding.

Self introspection is the best kind of inquisition if yah ask me.





Thanks.
5962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
Am I the only guy who loves humanity?

42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16


6662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16
I work in a retail pharmacy. Misanthropy is certainly justified. I'm not allowed to share the details because of HIPPA.

Working retail in general is a perfectly valid rationale for misanthropy. But with pharmacy and medicine you get details. *shudders*
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

Ravenstein wrote:

I work in a retail pharmacy. Misanthropy is certainly justified. I'm not allowed to share the details because of HIPPA.

Working retail in general is a perfectly valid rationale for misanthropy. But with pharmacy and medicine you get details. *shudders*


Posted 1/3/16

Ravenstein wrote:

I work in a retail pharmacy. Misanthropy is certainly justified. I'm not allowed to share the details because of HIPPA.

Working retail in general is a perfectly valid rationale for misanthropy. But with pharmacy and medicine you get details. *shudders*

If we dated, could you, like, feed me oxazepam?

You could tie me up and spank me, if you wanted to.

Good deal, no?

9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
No. I feel theres a dangerous trend towards misanthropy on the web and in geek culture that needs to change. Lighten up a bit.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I think it's more justified than hating a single group of humans.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.