First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime Haters?
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

They are not being mean because of what watching anime entails, they are being mean because alot of "anime fans" are pretty goddamn annoying in most comment sections on the internet. You have extremely annoying fans who get upset the minute you insult anything to do with their precious animu and they start flinging insults around like a 2 year old because someone doesn't like their favorite show.

After a while, you get fed up with it and you start to treat everyone the same because of the rotten eggs in the carton.

I personally avoid alot of other anime fans in real life at university, because they are either too obsessive and all they ever want to talk about is anime and how good they are at japanese because they learned the first row of Hiragana. I myself am a pretty big fan of anime, and a hardcore manga reader, but even I get annoyed with aot of anime fans that I have met.


This pretty much.


Also, a lot of people still think of anime as either Pokemon/Yugiohish stuff or porn, especially loliporn.
104107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 8/17/16

Recently
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
The anime haters are mostly misinformed idiots. They think it's either little kids cartoons or hardcore porn. For them there is no in between.

You also have the anime haters who hate it just because it's Japanese. Because of course there wasn't enough racism in the world already
Le_Dom 
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

They are not being mean because of what watching anime entails, they are being mean because alot of "anime fans" are pretty goddamn annoying in most comment sections on the internet. You have extremely annoying fans who get upset the minute you insult anything to do with their precious animu and they start flinging insults around like a 2 year old because someone doesn't like their favorite show.

After a while, you get fed up with it and you start to treat everyone the same because of the rotten eggs in the carton.

I personally avoid alot of other anime fans in real life at university, because they are either too obsessive and all they ever want to talk about is anime and how good they are at japanese because they learned the first row of Hiragana. I myself am a pretty big fan of anime, and a hardcore manga reader, but even I get annoyed with aot of anime fans that I have met.


I think that's the best answer so far.

If there's anything I can add, it really grinds my gears when I see posts like ''Oh, so you say anime is for kids? Watch Elfen Lied and say that again (said very smugly)''.

You know, recommanding a show that proves that anime can be as gross and awful as the haters claim it to be. Thereby replacing one prejudice with another that's just as bad, if not worse.
7881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SCANDINAVIA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

They are not being mean because of what watching anime entails, they are being mean because alot of "anime fans" are pretty goddamn annoying in most comment sections on the internet. You have extremely annoying fans who get upset the minute you insult anything to do with their precious animu and they start flinging insults around like a 2 year old because someone doesn't like their favorite show.

After a while, you get fed up with it and you start to treat everyone the same because of the rotten eggs in the carton.

I personally avoid alot of other anime fans in real life at university, because they are either too obsessive and all they ever want to talk about is anime and how good they are at japanese because they learned the first row of Hiragana. I myself am a pretty big fan of anime, and a hardcore manga reader, but even I get annoyed with aot of anime fans that I have met.


This seems to sum it up. I was lucky, when I went to school there was a lot of "normal" people that liked it. Now I don't really have contact with people who do. So it's my secret.
32462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
There are numerous reasons why. As others have pointed out, it can be bad experiences with anime fans in the past. You have the general discrimination against geeks and nerds (luckily it is not bad as it used to be). Some people just hate anything that they consider out of the normal. It's called the pink monkey effect. The actual experiment most likely didn't happen. But it is common behavior in primates to punish members of the group who are different.
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/pink_monkey.htm
3270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
Because some anime fans react like this when someone doesn't know what anime is
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
"Anime is for kids"

tf?
41370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
BTW / What anime is this ? I wiil give you a hint it is an ALT story of another Anime



34924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I heard that Harley Davidson people hate on people that watch anime.
5962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16

HuastecoOtaku wrote:

People like this ruined it for us

It's probably both bad fans and what the majority perceives anime to be about. Also, anime is becoming much more visible in US pop culture than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Anime is becoming increasingly accessible to Americans and making more and more inroads into US popular culture, while at the same time content that pisses on Western taboos is seemingly more and more common. Anime newcomers nowadays would be quickly exposed to such bizarre content as brocon, siscon, and lolicons in addition to ecchi that pushes the envelope of good taste for PC Westerners. The incest/lolicon taboo character can pop up when the newbie viewer may not expect it (eg. The irregular at magic high school, engaged to the unidentified, the perfect insider, higurashi). I'm quite used to it now, but it's really quite odd to be throwing these kinds of terms around.

The deep level of revulsion in most Westerners for serious taboo breaking shouldn't be underestimated, if they begin to associate anime exclusively with this kind of content.

I expect some kind of major media/government pushback on the American end to be inevitable, much like there was controversy in the 1980s over Dungeons and Dragons and so on. Already CNN seems to like reporting on lolicon as if it's the whole of Japanese manga product.
490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16
I think its because either the way certain anime fans act and also might have seen like a brief glimpse of a show like inuyasha or something and just not get it and make fun of it.I have a couple friends that have enjoyed a couple shows but aren't into it like I am. Which sucks because after finishing a really good show I get that depressing void feeling and want to discuss the show with someone lol. Some people just don't get it I think or it doesn't click with them. I get more emotion and "feels" from certain anime then I do from regular shows and movies.
In highschool I didn't watch anime that much (dropped it around 8th grade) but I remember certain kids who were anime fans getting picked on, like wearing naruto headbands and running oddly down the hallways being very strange.
13031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / El Mirage, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16

FLjerry2011 wrote:

BTW / What anime is this ? I wiil give you a hint it is an ALT story of another Anime





my otome maybe?

OT Like all other hobbies and such it has to do with the fans. While you have ones that are level headed you also have the ones who make people want to hate the activity.
41370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

goku8399 wrote:


FLjerry2011 wrote:

BTW / What anime is this ? I wiil give you a hint it is an ALT story of another Anime





my otome maybe?

OT Like all other hobbies and such it has to do with the fans. While you have ones that are level headed you also have the ones who make people want to hate the activity.


You are Correct / The Original Story was My Hime !
9897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
The hate against anime is mostly inaccurate and wrong but plenty of fans don't do the medium any favors. I've met plenty of anime fans in real life that make me embarrassed I'm a fan.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/4/16

VagrantShadow wrote:

Recently I've noticed that people are being quite rude to people who watch anime. Their seems to be a lot of hate for us on the net and I am only confused as why. Several people I know are afraid to admit they enjoy anime. Anytime I tell someone I watch anime they give me an odd look. What do they think watching anime entails?


Because wtf are you watching Asian cartoons for?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.