First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Ever felt like your intelligence is getting duller everyday?
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

Jolty_febe wrote:

Unfortunately I'd say reading and educational videos/documentaries are the best way to go. The news is wonderful as well, looking up journals in a particular subject is good too. Rereading oldish textbooks or new textbooks is good as well. Even if you don't answer the questions in them or write anything about them, reading on a similar subject with many books will help you remember the generalities of whatever you're reading about.

Writing essays and reviews of media and nonfiction one has read/watched/experienced is another way to remember things well, discussing it with people on a forum is another great way to help put the information into long term memory.

The important thing is to do a little each day, that helps solidify things more than binging on a subject for one day and then trying to recall it exactly a week later.

In terms of getting better at grammar.....that's a rather vague statement. The best I can think of is to read a grammar book and then write everyday, at max you could get a tutor. A good, easy grammar book to start with is "Painless Grammar". Although it's geared to middle school students it's still useful to me, embarrassingly so.


I already got a English Grammar for Dummies book-DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16
ya but i've also been smoking like every day and it's probably slowing me down more. oh well #boredom

i recently graduated and honestly left school feeling like i learned nothing though. meh
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

ceremoniously wrote:

ya but i've also been smoking like every day and it's probably slowing me down more. oh well #boredom

i recently graduated and honestly left school feeling like i learned nothing though. meh


High school or college?
7974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Minne-snow-ta!
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
All my chemistry knowledge from college is a little dull now. Pretty sure I only use a small percentage of chemistry at work and everything else I kind of forget, though a quick refresher can help me remember.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I sometimes feel that way. But then I'll take a trip down memory lane and actually read something I had written 10 years ago or whenever, and I'd realize I've always been a dumbass. I'm just more of a self aware one now.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

Balzack wrote:

I sometimes feel that way. But then I'll take a trip down memory lane and actually read something I had written 10 years ago or whenever, and I'd realize I've always been a dumbass. I'm just more of a self aware one now.


Sogno- 
45682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
it wasn't all that bright to begin with
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

Sogno- wrote:

it wasn't all that bright to begin with


Who?
Sogno- 
45682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

it wasn't all that bright to begin with


Who?


well idk about u but my intelligence was already fairly dull haha
2063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I feel the same on a short term basis ... like now because of winter break. I feel like watching education youtube videos gets me in the habit of learning something new everyday. You might be able to call this a temporary replacement for school. It works for me rather than reading books because I'm just not a reader (except for things like manga.>.<) . But find what works for you. We have the internet to our advantage now so explore
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I actually did for a bit. Then, I stopped drinking. My inability to sleep came back within the first couple days, and I found myself laying awake for hours thinking. It reminded me why I picked up drinking, in the first place.

Still not drinking, and I do feel a bit sharper... I still need to exercise my brain a little more, though.
428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I feel that way as well, especially as I go on in college. I feel dumber compared to my peers, especially since I struggled for my grades last semester, while my friends breezed through with a few getting straight A's. I have to study my butt off and focus for those A's, while my friends get A's with little work and it bothers me. I think though that this is a case of being a big fish in my small pond of high school. Once I got to college I met people much smarter than I was and it left me feeling sad, in awe, and happy at the same time.

My English and grammar, however have suffered. I make it a point to write in whole sentences and edit them on these forums to practice.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16


Oh alright.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/16

chinesedoodle wrote:

I feel that way as well, especially as I go on in college. I feel dumber compared to my peers, especially since I struggled for my grades last semester, while my friends breezed through with a few getting straight A's. I have to study my butt off and focus for those A's, while my friends get A's with little work and it bothers me. I think though that this is a case of being a big fish in my small pond of high school. Once I got to college I met people much smarter than I was and it left me feeling sad, in awe, and happy at the same time.

My English and grammar, however have suffered. I make it a point to write in whole sentences and edit them on these forums to practice.



I felt like that too. I feel it more when I'm in Math class.
Posted 1/3/16

henikmattlog wrote:

Yea I feel like this whenever Im on break from classes so I keep myself busy with studying something new.


Agree
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.