Post Reply 90's Anime
3382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 1/3/16
I haven't seen a ton of popular anime from the 90s, but the anime I have seen all shared one common element: plotholes. Whether it's using a random deus-ex-machina to get out of trouble or just ignoring logic to advance the story or not sufficiently explaining some HUGE event in the story, all of them had it. I love a lot of them to death, but that doesn't mean these plotholes aren't there. Why is this? Is this inconsistency part of their charm? Do manga writers need to put more effort into consistency nowadays? Am I just raving and none of you know what I'm talking about?

P.S. No, I did not just watch kids anime.
6116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/16 , edited 1/3/16
I'm sure there's plotholes in everything from every decade. I doubt there's anything specific about the 90s in this regard.

It's possible you're watching a lot of OVAs that were only meant as supplementary content to the source manga/video game, or as is the case with some OVA series, ran out of money or other production issues that left them unfinished (as what happened to the original Bubblegum Crisis).
6074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

FruitPunchSamurai987 wrote:

I haven't seen a ton of popular anime from the 90s, but the anime I have seen all shared one common element: plotholes. Whether it's using a random deus-ex-machina to get out of trouble or just ignoring logic to advance the story or not sufficiently explaining some HUGE event in the story, all of them had it. I love a lot of them to death, but that doesn't mean these plotholes aren't there. Why is this? Is this inconsistency part of their charm? Do manga writers need to put more effort into consistency nowadays? Am I just raving and none of you know what I'm talking about?

P.S. No, I did not just watch kids anime.


Hmmm... I would say I disagree with you since 90s anime were mainly aimless, so they couldn't have plotholes really. A lot of older anime had that "you can jump in at any episode" feel that was common with looney toon cartoons.
16140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
Go back and watch anime from the 70s-80s. It happens every generation. A lot of those anime are still a lot of fun though. I'm looking at you Mazinger.
13 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
The 80's animes we're the best.Nowadays anime is full of fan-service.
6074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
They used to have tons of fanservice in older anime too.
I wont deny that nowadays there are anime that have 90% fanservice as its draw, but it's not like old anime didn't have it and new anime only have it exclusively.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/16 , edited 1/5/16

popaandreea wrote:

The 80's animes we're the best.Nowadays anime is full of fan-service.

32540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:


popaandreea wrote:

The 80's animes we're the best.Nowadays anime is full of fan-service.



There a reason why they call it the Gainax bounce
6116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:


popaandreea wrote:

The 80's animes we're the best.Nowadays anime is full of fan-service.



To be fair though, Dirty Pair is 85% killing people and about 15% fanservice. I'm sure at the time it was considered moe cheesecake but by today's standards its downright gritty.
You must be logged in to post.