First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Immortality, human body or android body
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
Depends on the level of the technology.

I would accept whichever was more readily available. Once biological immortality is achieved, it is only a question of time before biology and technology become fully integrated, blurring the lines between the two.

Are those nanites swimming in your blood, or engineered viruses? Or both?
Posted 1/5/16


I'll just forsake either body and go for transcendance
Sogno- 
45654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
imma go with cyborg



that's close to android right
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
Dariamus, you got a point, whichever is available sounds good.

Sogno-, cyborg sounds good, forgive my English.
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
I would stay with a human body. It's likely that our generation will reach pretty close to biological immortality. Honestly we'll probably be able to expand our lifespan long enough to reach immortality.

The negative factors of this is we will still go through aging and that painful process for a period of time, and feeling old for 50 years sounds awful.. but worth it in long run I think.
Tay01 
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
Why would we need to grow the whole body, we can grow individual body parts. Plus I would like my extra brains put in polar bears.
However if android technology is getting better I might try that.
But I would rather just get tons of biological modification done to my polar bear bodies, wings, regrow able limbs, controllable metabolism.
36200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
The idea of uploading a human consciousness to a computer or another brain is complete nonsense. The "upload" would merely be a copy of what exists in your mind. Unless you posit the existence of a computer system in the future that will exactly mimic the functioning of a human brain, "uploading" yourself to a computer would consist of copying data to the system that will in turn be used to create a simulation of your consciousness. Even if a computer system is developed in the future that exactly mimics the human brain, you'll get results that are no better than that of "uploading" yourself to another human brain. Namely, you'll be creating a mind exactly the same as your own with all of your memories.

Creating a duplicate of your consciousness would provide immortality, but only in the sense that a person just like you might be able to exist indefinitely. I have no idea where people get this notion that consciousness can be moved from one place to another. As far as science can tell, the brain itself gives rise to consciousness and therefore the idea of moving it makes no sense. If you prefer to think that people have souls that are somehow connected to their brains, what kind of machine do you expect to be built in the future that will allow a soul (a thing for which we have absolutely no evidence for) to be moved to another brain, or worse, to a computer?

None of it makes any sense.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16
Well if you've seen Avenger 2 on how they were going to transfer Ultron's consciousness to the cyborg body then you know that it's possible if you run the electrical synapses faster than the consciousness(Yes, it is a movie). I've mentioned that human electrical synapse runs at 150m/s and it is possible to run faster than that speed and create a bridge between the two brains, or to synchronize them. So you are not duplicating the consciousness but rather transfer it from one brain to the other using a flood fill algorithm.
The brain itself generate consciousness similar to a combination of transistors or logic gates(speculating). If you say that your brain "is" consciousness then the only possible conclusion would be that everyone's brain is different, or else everyone would just be your consciousness. But since everyone's brain structure is pretty much the same(well I suppose you have a point here since I'm contradicting myself). Either way you can create an identical brain structure using 3d printing, then just flood fill it with your own electrical synapses.
48492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

EarthLight22 wrote:

The idea of uploading a human consciousness to a computer or another brain is complete nonsense. The "upload" would merely be a copy of what exists in your mind. Unless you posit the existence of a computer system in the future that will exactly mimic the functioning of a human brain, "uploading" yourself to a computer would consist of copying data to the system that will in turn be used to create a simulation of your consciousness. Even if a computer system is developed in the future that exactly mimics the human brain, you'll get results that are no better than that of "uploading" yourself to another human brain. Namely, you'll be creating a mind exactly the same as your own with all of your memories.

Creating a duplicate of your consciousness would provide immortality, but only in the sense that a person just like you might be able to exist indefinitely. I have no idea where people get this notion that consciousness can be moved from one place to another. As far as science can tell, the brain itself gives rise to consciousness and therefore the idea of moving it makes no sense. If you prefer to think that people have souls that are somehow connected to their brains, what kind of machine do you expect to be built in the future that will allow a soul (a thing for which we have absolutely no evidence for) to be moved to another brain, or worse, to a computer?

None of it makes any sense.
This all seems very accurate to me. I would go further to say that machines that are able to sense their surroundings and process thoughts and information have a "consciousness" that really is no different than our own. We value our self awareness because of a genetically inherited drive to survive as a function of needing to pass our genes to further generations. We recognize that dying means no longer being able to experience the world around us. Ultimately we are all just complex biological computers. Therefore something artificially built could not provide a body for a human, because once you turn it on, you have created an individual that deserves it's own right to continue living.

3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16
No one says you can't transfer a computer to another computer "on", it's just never been done before, an idea known as hot swapping .


P.S. I respect all ideas here, just don't go giving me nightmares
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

EarthLight22 wrote:

The idea of uploading a human consciousness to a computer or another brain is complete nonsense. The "upload" would merely be a copy of what exists in your mind. Unless you posit the existence of a computer system in the future that will exactly mimic the functioning of a human brain, "uploading" yourself to a computer would consist of copying data to the system that will in turn be used to create a simulation of your consciousness. Even if a computer system is developed in the future that exactly mimics the human brain, you'll get results that are no better than that of "uploading" yourself to another human brain. Namely, you'll be creating a mind exactly the same as your own with all of your memories.

Creating a duplicate of your consciousness would provide immortality, but only in the sense that a person just like you might be able to exist indefinitely. I have no idea where people get this notion that consciousness can be moved from one place to another. As far as science can tell, the brain itself gives rise to consciousness and therefore the idea of moving it makes no sense. If you prefer to think that people have souls that are somehow connected to their brains, what kind of machine do you expect to be built in the future that will allow a soul (a thing for which we have absolutely no evidence for) to be moved to another brain, or worse, to a computer?

None of it makes any sense.

It makes no sense to you, but is exactly the path I would chose.

Each version of me would be a unique individual, but some version of me would always persist.

51305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/6/16
If we're talking about stuff this advanced, than I'd like nano robot swarms injected into my body that repair even the most extreme damages almost in an instant. They should also control exactly what food-parts are actually digested, construct missing nutrients on some subatomar level, based on what I eat. Eat only cookies all day and stay healthy nevertheless basically.
And extend my muscle power, my brain, etc pp.
I'd guess that, given high enough technology, that biologic bodies are superior.
36200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Dariamus wrote:


EarthLight22 wrote:

The idea of uploading a human consciousness to a computer or another brain is complete nonsense. The "upload" would merely be a copy of what exists in your mind. Unless you posit the existence of a computer system in the future that will exactly mimic the functioning of a human brain, "uploading" yourself to a computer would consist of copying data to the system that will in turn be used to create a simulation of your consciousness. Even if a computer system is developed in the future that exactly mimics the human brain, you'll get results that are no better than that of "uploading" yourself to another human brain. Namely, you'll be creating a mind exactly the same as your own with all of your memories.

Creating a duplicate of your consciousness would provide immortality, but only in the sense that a person just like you might be able to exist indefinitely. I have no idea where people get this notion that consciousness can be moved from one place to another. As far as science can tell, the brain itself gives rise to consciousness and therefore the idea of moving it makes no sense. If you prefer to think that people have souls that are somehow connected to their brains, what kind of machine do you expect to be built in the future that will allow a soul (a thing for which we have absolutely no evidence for) to be moved to another brain, or worse, to a computer?

None of it makes any sense.

It makes no sense to you, but is exactly the path I would chose.

Each version of me would be a unique individual, but some version of me would always persist.



Actually, you misunderstood what I was saying. Or perhaps I should have made that last sentence a bit more descriptive. If you are interested in that kind of immortality, that's fine. My "none of it makes any sense" quip was directed at those who would like to pretend that uploading a copy of their consciousness to a computer or another brain would allow their current selves to gain immortality. If your version of immortality is having some version of yourself living on perpetually then it works just fine. But I don't think that's what most people are hoping for.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16
I don't see what's wrong with wanting to live on forever. Or you're saying the current technology cannot make it?
36200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

fredreload wrote:

Well if you've seen Avenger 2 on how they were going to transfer Ultron's consciousness to the cyborg body then you know that it's possible if you run the electrical synapses faster than the consciousness(Yes, it is a movie). I've mentioned that human electrical synapse runs at 150m/s and it is possible to run faster than that speed and create a bridge between the two brains, or to synchronize them. So you are not duplicating the consciousness but rather transfer it from one brain to the other using a flood fill algorithm.
The brain itself generate consciousness similar to a combination of transistors or logic gates(speculating). If you say that your brain "is" consciousness then the only possible conclusion would be that everyone's brain is different, or else everyone would just be your consciousness. But since everyone's brain structure is pretty much the same(well I suppose you have a point here since I'm contradicting myself). Either way you can create an identical brain structure using 3d printing, then just flood fill it with your own electrical synapses.


What you've posted in s a bit jumbled, but I'll try and reply as best I can. I'm a huge fan of science fiction. The problem of continuity of existence versus duplication, whether in reference to uploading a consciousness or using some kind of teleport, is often badly handled. In Star Trek the Next Generation for example, sometimes the transporter destroys and then recreates things (like in episodes where they get extra copies of people out of it) and sometimes transporting is portrayed as being a means of travel where you are conscious during the entire process. I don't see how what takes place in the Avengers is any more realistic or elegant.

I think you might be getting hung up on the word "transfer". Of course it seems plausible that we could duplicate the contents of a brain given sufficiently advanced technology. But that's not a valid path to immortality. If you create a copy of my brain, you are just creating a second me in a different brain. I don't know about you, but my idea of immortality is based around the continued existence of my own person, not the fact that some version of myself might be able to live on endlessly.

When people talk about uploading themselves to a computer, I think they usually want to imagine a future like Ghost in the Shell where human consciousness can somehow be expanded so that you can hop between bodies ( not by creating a copy of yourself) and the Internet freely and still be the same individual throughout. That doesn't seem at all realistic.



fredreload wrote:

No one says you can't transfer a computer to another computer "on", it's just never been done before, an idea known as hot swapping .


P.S. I respect all ideas here, just don't go giving me nightmares


How does being able to remove and replace parts of a computer while the computer is any way relate to the fact that if you upload a copy of yourself to another computer or another brain, you will just be making a copy rather than moving your consciousness somewhere else?

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.