Post Reply How does Crunchyroll spend my membership fee?
jto1 
6901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
I was wondering, how does Crunchyroll spend my membership fee? What exactly am I paying for? Where does my money go?
42646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

jto1 wrote:

I was wondering, how does Crunchyroll spend my membership fee? What exactly am I paying for? Where does my money go?


After operating expenses, it goes apportioned to what you actually watch.

http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

So you aren't contributing to shows you don't watch, only to the ones you do watch.
jto1 
6901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/4/16
Thanks for the link

CR should post some of that information in their FAQ.

It's great that my money just goes to the shows I actually watch. I think this defeats the arguement of international subscribers paying more for less content, that keeps coming up. The more you watch the better value for money it is .

Still wondering if my money from the UK goes towards anything UK related that CR does? Does it help CR get licences for the UK (though if they are applying for a worldwide licence most of time I would assume the UK is included)?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 1/4/16 , edited 1/4/16
Of course a lot of it goes towards the anime industry but it's not a charity and crunchy is a big company.
42646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

jto1 wrote:
Still wondering if my money from the UK goes towards anything UK related that CR does? Does it help CR get licences for the UK (though if they are applying for a worldwide licence most of time I would assume the UK is included)?


I don't know about specifically the UK... I do know that there are a handful of shows that CR has, mostly in other languages than English, which are not available to the US.. French WIXOSS, Spanish Sacred Blacksmith, and Dance in the Vampire Bund, and Dog Days 3 for select parts of Asia but I don't know the language, others I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are a few more. Proportionally, only a small number, though. They do try, but competitors can grab rights, even if they don't use them, such as the situation where Funimation has English rights all over but doesn't use them...


Sir_jamesalot wrote:
Of course a lot of it goes towards the anime industry but it's not a charity and crunchy is a big company.


True, CR is a business, which has to be profitable to continue existing. People do seem to forget that. But there are only about 50 or so employess last I heard, perhaps a few more by now, so I wouldn't consider them to be "big", at least not by US standards...
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 1/4/16 , edited 1/4/16

asharka wrote:

True, CR is a business, which has to be profitable to continue existing. People do seem to forget that. But there are only about 50 or so employess last I heard, perhaps a few more by now, so I wouldn't consider them to be "big", at least not by US standards...


I thought CR made a mint.

Here is an article on crunchyroll saying most goes to anime
http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

and it also says 200,000 subs
if they all spent 7 once a year that means $1.4 Million
But they don't, a lot spend more than that.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:


asharka wrote:

True, CR is a business, which has to be profitable to continue existing. People do seem to forget that. But there are only about 50 or so employess last I heard, perhaps a few more by now, so I wouldn't consider them to be "big", at least not by US standards...


I thought CR made a mint.


....50....? That's insane

millions × $8 / 50
42646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:


asharka wrote:

True, CR is a business, which has to be profitable to continue existing. People do seem to forget that. But there are only about 50 or so employess last I heard, perhaps a few more by now, so I wouldn't consider them to be "big", at least not by US standards...


I thought CR made a mint.


The ad-supported part of CR barely pays operating expenses, at least according to this ANN article

Video ads that are attached to streaming video work the same way. They're sold by the thousands, and these days, go for around US$7-12 CPM. (Hulu, with its huge presence in the ad market and mainstream video lineup, can get about $30.) For every thousand ads viewed, the website gets only 7 to 12 dollars. It's enough to buy everyone coffee at McDonalds!


So that leaves subscribers, of which at last count of about 700K they are growing a lot but that has happened only very in very recent years.

And sure, 4-5 mil a month sounds like a lot to you or me, but consider Hulu or Netflix who have many millions of subscribers. CR isn't even a blip on their radar...

To the poster just above, you have a completely unrealistic view of how business works... the employees don't get the subscription money, although the CEO and venture capital owners get a big cut now, I'm sure. Most of the money goes back to the anime comanies for licensing fees...The arrangements are usually some minimum guarantee, and then whatever deal they made to each one independently for the volume of viewing hours.

Did you even read the interview? CR has to pay on all their bids, whether or not they get the license...
jto1 
6901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

asharka wrote: the situation where Funimation has English rights all over but doesn't use them...

Ah, that old and continuing problem for UK anime fans who want to wach legal streams . Though some have been showing up on Viewster recently (usually courtesy of Anime Limited).

Der Zoodirektor
23403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 1/4/16

asharka wrote:


jto1 wrote:

I was wondering, how does Crunchyroll spend my membership fee? What exactly am I paying for? Where does my money go?


After operating expenses, it goes apportioned to what you actually watch.

http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

So you aren't contributing to shows you don't watch, only to the ones you do watch.


The article is very old, so the numbers are not really current. The revenue share system still the same though.

The number of people working at the offices has grown quite a bit during the past 2 years, and we have added more languages to our offerings, so the number of subtitlers across the globe has also grown significantly.
You must be logged in to post.