First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Robot workers Replacing Humans
8974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Minne-snow-ta!
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
You can't automate everything unless the robots can learn from mistakes and improve. Robots are good for known tasks but will produce errors for unknown tasks where a human can at least learn and solve the unknown situation. At least that's how I see it at where I work. Oil refineries are prone to many new unknown problems that you can't just automate.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/16

hemicuda2 wrote:


brookline wrote:

Big Business and high tech are working to create robots to do work humans do now. The purpose is cheap labor = free labor. So if robots will be doing all the work, what will humans be doing? how will we earn incomes. this will cause more unemployment, more people on government assistance.


http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/meet-the-most-lifelike-robot-who-will-steal-your-job/vi-BBo59T4



If robots are doing all the work then that means humans wont need to work which means everything will be made and done by robots so everything will be free and we can go about our days doing things that matter.


Then we get Skynet
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
Like unemployment wasn't bad enough already and now more push on the whole robot servant workers? That'll end just fine won't it...
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/16 , edited 1/5/16

lisdavid89 wrote:

You can't automate everything unless the robots can learn from mistakes and improve. Robots are good for known tasks but will produce errors for unknown tasks where a human can at least learn and solve the unknown situation. At least that's how I see it at where I work. Oil refineries are prone to many new unknown problems that you can't just automate.

Neural Nets and self learning software have been around for decades and are growing more complex/general daily.

The problem is not self learning, it is common sense.


MonologueWolf wrote:

Like unemployment wasn't bad enough already and now more push on the whole robot servant workers? That'll end just fine won't it...


Wait till somebody decides 90% of the population serves no purpose and decides to get rid of the parasites

4510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 1/5/16
Nothing is ever free. You may be able to make labour cheaper but it isn't free. Those robots will need maintaining and if robots are doing that then those too will need maintaining. Components to make robots must come from somewhere and the at the beginning of the manufacturing process this mus be acquired.
585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Center-of-US
Offline
Posted 1/5/16

tkayt wrote:

Nothing is ever free. You may be able to make labour cheaper but it isn't free. Those robots will need maintaining and if robots are doing that then those too will need maintaining. Components to make robots must come from somewhere and the at the beginning of the manufacturing process this mus be acquired.


Absolutely correct.

Moreover, the owners of the robots won't sit around and ignore a chance to make money. If you can't afford the products and services made by the robots, you're way out of luck.

Also remember from the business perspective, you don't switch from people to robots without an overall cost saving. They won't pay a whole bunch of money for engineers and fancy machines unless one way or another, that option is more cost-effective overall than paying assembly-line workers.
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

D4nc3Style wrote:



This is what asking for $15 an hour has done, lol.


I'm sure this would make shy people happy tho! Or with others with social anxiety!
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Tinamarie101 wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:



This is what asking for $15 an hour has done, lol.


I'm sure this would make shy people happy tho! Or with others with social anxiety!

No different than the automated tellers at Wal-mart or most grocery stores.

Acceptance of automated cashiers is already growing.

22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16
All data requires an some form of human insight. Numbers don't talk on their own and even the largest of data sets have biases. Humans make and design the algorithms, sometimes with faulty assumption. Those algorithms continuously get changed as well for the "why???" humans can only ask.

Reminds me of non polynomial computational complexity algorithms. Backtracking is not very timely in algorithms. Machines lack the intuition, introspection and reflection on decision making. The initial approach of the algorithm, for example.

Robots will replace some employment, but it only opens up more savvy positions. If anything, it only prioritizes the need for more of the very questions that make us human. Less is the need for basic computation and more of a need for why we perform the computation and perhaps even what that solution means.

Machines aren't alive...if they were we'd be competing with something else entirely.

7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

tkayt wrote:

Nothing is ever free. You may be able to make labour cheaper but it isn't free. Those robots will need maintaining and if robots are doing that then those too will need maintaining. Components to make robots must come from somewhere and the at the beginning of the manufacturing process this mus be acquired.

I would assume the maintenance robots would be able to work on each other. It's not a recursive problem.

Components can already be manufactured in an automated facility. We just need robots capable to performing the maintenance.

The holy grail of Abundance comes when you can launch Von-Neumann machines into the asteroid belt. A few more decades before we have that technology.
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Dariamus wrote:


Tinamarie101 wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:



This is what asking for $15 an hour has done, lol.


I'm sure this would make shy people happy tho! Or with others with social anxiety!

No different than the automated tellers at Wal-mart or most grocery stores.

Acceptance of automated cashiers is already growing.



tbh, i prefer them when i go to a grocery store. BUT they cant take out cashier jobs 100% everywhere. because government welfare like WIC. it has to be done by a cashier. So as long as system with that doesnt change they cant make all those jobs turn into a self-checkout.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Tinamarie101 wrote:
tbh, i prefer them when i go to a grocery store. BUT they cant take out cashier jobs 100% everywhere. because government welfare like WIC. it has to be done by a cashier. So as long as system with that doesnt change they cant make all those jobs turn into a self-checkout.

It will be a while before anything is replaced 100%

Disruption of current society, however, comes at a far lower threshold. What do you think would happen with 25% unemployment? How about 50% unemployment?
27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Dariamus wrote:


Tinamarie101 wrote:
tbh, i prefer them when i go to a grocery store. BUT they cant take out cashier jobs 100% everywhere. because government welfare like WIC. it has to be done by a cashier. So as long as system with that doesnt change they cant make all those jobs turn into a self-checkout.

It will be a while before anything is replaced 100%

Disruption of current society, however, comes at a far lower threshold. What do you think would happen with 25% unemployment? How about 50% unemployment?


I dont see it being possible with those programs tho. all it'll do is increase the risk of fraud and i dont think the government would allow that as where already in a much higher risk for fraud these past 2 yrs than we have ever been! Idk about anywhere else but where I live they take the help towards women and children very seriously. if anything they'll always be 1-3 cashiers at all stores. instead of the 5-10 were used to seeing at some stores.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Tinamarie101 wrote:


Dariamus wrote:


Tinamarie101 wrote:
tbh, i prefer them when i go to a grocery store. BUT they cant take out cashier jobs 100% everywhere. because government welfare like WIC. it has to be done by a cashier. So as long as system with that doesnt change they cant make all those jobs turn into a self-checkout.

It will be a while before anything is replaced 100%

Disruption of current society, however, comes at a far lower threshold. What do you think would happen with 25% unemployment? How about 50% unemployment?


I dont see it being possible with those programs tho. all it'll do is increase the risk of fraud and i dont think the government would allow that as where already in a much higher risk for fraud these past 2 yrs than we have ever been! Idk about anywhere else but where I live they take the help towards women and children very seriously. if anything they'll always be 1-3 cashiers at all stores. instead of the 5-10 were used to seeing at some stores.

Automated factories in China are already reducing their labor force by 90%

Yes, stores will retain 1-3 cashiers, instead of the 5-15 they used to have: an 80% reduction in labor.

27282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Dariamus wrote:


Tinamarie101 wrote:


Dariamus wrote:


Tinamarie101 wrote:
tbh, i prefer them when i go to a grocery store. BUT they cant take out cashier jobs 100% everywhere. because government welfare like WIC. it has to be done by a cashier. So as long as system with that doesnt change they cant make all those jobs turn into a self-checkout.

It will be a while before anything is replaced 100%

Disruption of current society, however, comes at a far lower threshold. What do you think would happen with 25% unemployment? How about 50% unemployment?


I dont see it being possible with those programs tho. all it'll do is increase the risk of fraud and i dont think the government would allow that as where already in a much higher risk for fraud these past 2 yrs than we have ever been! Idk about anywhere else but where I live they take the help towards women and children very seriously. if anything they'll always be 1-3 cashiers at all stores. instead of the 5-10 were used to seeing at some stores.

Automated factories in China are already reducing their labor force by 90%

Yes, stores will retain 1-3 cashiers, instead of the 5-15 they used to have: an 80% reduction in labor.



but you gotta think, these jobs never paid much to begin with. nothing that nothing vs a low check is better.. but tbh if the government forces this on us they'll be effected to. especially in stores. if people are left without jobs because of the decrease of jobs that just means we people wont have much money to spend. Welfare rates will go up but without the money being put out for things not returning because of these families/individuals with no money, money goes to waste for the money that went towards food that expired before being bought. causing them to bump up their prices to pay for those items. makes it harder for us and then again on them making the problem worse from doing that in the first place. besides that taxes is what gives us these welfare help. if jobs decrease, money does, meaning most probably wont be able to afford all of their taxes. it makes a mess on both ends and if they cant think of this before hand then i guess were gonna walk right into another depression state unless they give us more jobs when taking away these others!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.