First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Progressive Bigotry.
1062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Northwestern Unit...
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Ashvins wrote:

There's a phenomenon going on with our generation where there's a call for equality and sensitivy and awareness, demanding more freedom but also trying to censor people's words and tones.
While asking for equality and awareness, we are also walking on a knife's edge as we try to censor everyone's voices and opinions because everyone is always so offended by everything.
There is a way to be aware of what goes on in the world and wanting to accept more people, but we can't do that while we try to censor everyone at the same time.
People have a opinions and speak. People have the right to voice their opinions. You can't demand awareness from people at the same time as trying to take away their voice.
We can bring awareness to the issues of, for example, privilege. We can provide many examples to bring awareness to it. We can do so in reaction to something someone said. We can voice our opinions about it and inform them. What we can't do is try to deny them their rights to speak and use their voice.
I'm not saying I agree with using racist language. I'm not saying being racist is okay. I'm saying that tone censoring fixes nothing and only exacerbates a person's desire to use it because they feel oppressed. Everyone does. Everyone is offended by everything.
But that only detracts from the real issue, which no one ever wants to really pay attention to.

Tl:Dr: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelynn Beatrice Hall.


I really agree with this. I have a lot more thoughts on the subject that would probably be far too long for a forum post, but I think that all of this discussion around privilege really masks the true issues, especially considering that what's done about privilege often becomes this sort-of confessional, "forgive me father, for I have sinned" nonsense that really doesn't aid anything in the end. Also I think that privilege is more of a symptom of larger systems (i,e, power) but I guess that's a little more... messy for Buzzfeed or some other such site to generate ad revenue from click-bait clicks. In short, I think we all need to be more tolerant of people who are making the effort to learn and just haven't mastered the "right language", or who haven't educated themselves fully on issues of social justice.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

AkitoMadaka wrote:

We have 2 gay guys where I work.

They never stop trying to add innuendo into conversations. It's really fucking annoying and childish. I get it, you're gay, and that's OKAY. I don't need a 15 minute reminder while you're giggling like a 14 year old at the word penis.


I'd probably do it to annoy people.

14729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

Usuguraii wrote:

"I've met three gay people and see what the media portrays as being gay, so obviously everyone who is gay is like this. I can make any hasty generalization I want about everyone whose gay and it will be true because it's validated by my [limited] experience." .


Well, that's the thing, y'see--It's the same "We're not ALL like that!" fallacy the Muslims and Atheists try to hide behind, and fail:

If there's some attention-struck looney zealots out there making you personally look bad by association...are they OUR job to clean up, or are they YOURS?....Exactly who are their brothers' keepers?
And if it yours, where do you draw the line between "All our people are good!", and "Some of our people are bad!", which would be to take the side of your own critics?

It's progressiveness versus that cool Tribal Unity you've been enjoying:
Do you want the free-ride, and forbid anyone from saying anything bad because "one or two people" aren't like the more visible nuts, so it's mean of everyone in the outside world to even suggest they might be a representation, or do you want to start the hard work of tapping into that mainstream-normal side you want the world to see, and be accused of being a "traitor to your own people"?
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/7/16
Faggot? What is this, 4chan?
622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / The Fifth Dimention
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

PrinceJudar wrote:

Why can't we all just be Independents?



Seriously, I know how you feel...

Posted 1/6/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


AkitoMadaka wrote:

We have 2 gay guys where I work.

They never stop trying to add innuendo into conversations. It's really fucking annoying and childish. I get it, you're gay, and that's OKAY. I don't need a 15 minute reminder while you're giggling like a 14 year old at the word penis.


I'd probably do it to annoy people.



Sounds more like needing to feel special, they must have a lack of friends or are either self saturated, but then again I could be wrong.
Posted 1/6/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

Faggot? What is this, 4chan?


People still use that site?
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/6/16
It's in human nature to shun and hate people who are different. Society will never change in that respect. There isn't really anything we can do. There will always be bigots of some kind.
16725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/7/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
People can also be quite repetitive you know, even when it is obvious, I.E. Black African, etc. I'm just urging caution. It might not be offensive to you but I wouldn't blame people for genuinely being offended at such a word.


Oh some people are quite offended when I use it. I'll just keep using it till they get De-sensitized and stop caring :P

Though I guess Black African makes sense because you have Mediterranean Africans.

These gummi bears are sooo good :D. if you ever get a chance buy some gummi bears from menards they are the best gummi's i have found and they re cheap.
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:
Oh some people are quite offended when I use it. I'll just keep using it till they get De-sensitized and stop caring :P

Though I guess Black African makes sense because you have Mediterranean Africans.

These gummi bears are sooo good :D. if you ever get a chance buy some gummi bears from menards they are the best gummi's i have found and they re cheap.

Oh, okay. As long as you are aware of the consequences.
17175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

TrickedMJ wrote:

Gonna be honest, I don't think I've seen ANY threads saying, "I hate faggots" or "Gays don't belong!" I've seen a SMALL amount of replies like that but definitely no threads.
There might not be any homophobic threads (anymore) but there sure are many transphobic post.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16
What is a qualifier for transphobia nowadays, telling someone straight up that they're not a bigender elfkin? Ha ha. If anything, nondyphoric transtrenders and their ridiculous 'ids' are tremendously insulting to actual trans people, but whatever.
1062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Northwestern Unit...
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

Ejanss wrote:


Usuguraii wrote:

"I've met three gay people and see what the media portrays as being gay, so obviously everyone who is gay is like this. I can make any hasty generalization I want about everyone whose gay and it will be true because it's validated by my [limited] experience." .


Well, that's the thing, y'see--It's the same "We're not ALL like that!" fallacy the Muslims and Atheists try to hide behind, and fail:

If there's some attention-struck looney zealots out there making you personally look bad by association...are they OUR job to clean up, or are they YOURS?....Exactly who are their brothers' keepers?
And if it yours, where do you draw the line between "All our people are good!", and "Some of our people are bad!", which would be to take the side of your own critics?

It's progressiveness versus that cool Tribal Unity you've been enjoying:
Do you want the free-ride, and forbid anyone from saying anything bad because "one or two people" aren't like the more visible nuts, so it's mean of everyone in the outside world to even suggest they might be a representation, or do you want to start the hard work of tapping into that mainstream-normal side you want the world to see, and be accused of being a "traitor to your own people"?


I could give two shits less about "normalcy" or mainstream culture, so I mean, cool I guess? Like you're going to be extremely homophobic towards all gay people because a few are annoying, and then try to say that it's all of our fault for those guys being annoying? What do you want us to do, go out and shoot them because you're personally annoyed by them? I mean, I guess I understand. I saw two heterosexuals getting awfully close to each other in a booth at iHop and now I hate all heterosexuals. I think you should find those people and shoot them because seeing heterosexual intimacy disgusts me. I've literally thrown up from seeing two heterosexuals kiss before; it's not a joking matter. Seriously, what are you going to do? Are you going to keep these people in check for the sake and sanity of the rest of us, risking acceptance by other heterosexuals, or are you going to just let them keep corrupting our children and causing us physical discomfort?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.