First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Progressive Bigotry.
1062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Northwestern Unit...
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/7/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

What is a qualifier for transphobia nowadays, telling someone straight up that they're not a bigender elfkin? Ha ha. If anything, nondyphoric transtrenders and their ridiculous 'ids' are tremendously insulting to actual trans people, but whatever.


I mean, straight up telling someone that they'll never be the gender they ID as because you have a rudimentary understanding of genetics, human physiology, and how mental illness actually works is pretty transphobic, but sure, let's say it's the "transtrenders" who're making up transphobia. Because why would transphobia be an actual thing? Like most people aren't even transphobic, they just disapprove of the tranny lifestyle, that's all. Like how I disapprove of the male lifestyle. You can not approve of something and still tolerate it; I know I do.
7112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16
As a proud libertarian, fuck everybody's opinions and love everybody's soul at the same time.
41649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

Usuguraii wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

What is a qualifier for transphobia nowadays, telling someone straight up that they're not a bigender elfkin? Ha ha. If anything, nondyphoric transtrenders and their ridiculous 'ids' are tremendously insulting to actual trans people, but whatever.


I mean, straight up telling someone that they'll never be the gender they ID as because you have a rudimentary understanding of genetics, human physiology, and how mental illness actually works is pretty transphobic, but sure, let's say it's the "transtrenders" who're making up transphobia. Because why would transphobia be an actual thing? Like most people aren't even transphobic, they just disapprove of the tranny lifestyle, that's all. Like how I disapprove of the male lifestyle. You can not approve of something and still tolerate it; I know I do.


Well, obviously, they're not making it up, but they are overblowing the statistics as well as overgeneralizing when they say crap like "all cis people are inherently transphobic", implying that hatred towards them is somehow ingrained in people who are comfortable with their genitals... as a way to earn extra pity points, which is pretty disgusting. Of course there is actual transphobia, but small web microaggressions on tumblr or something don't generally constitute it. I'm just constantly sick of being called one for not agreeing with the extreme of things and the thousands of new 'genders' and 'sexualities' that people think are somehow 'inventive' or 'cute', but to me are just overwhelmingly alike and difficult to understand, since most of the newly invented 'genders' and 'sexualities' are either complete and utter nonsense, or generally based off of one component of a preexisting sexuality - in the case of shit like demisexuality (apparently you have to have an ~emotional bond~ to your partner before you consummate a relationship, implying that most people don't do that, and everyone is somehow an easy sex maniac unless they're not ~DEMIIIIII~, which is ridiculous, because most people normally try to form some kind of bond to a partner before the relationship has sexual intimacy, but w/e...), considered to be completely normal and in no way 'marginalized'....

The point is, of course prejudice against trans people is real, but it's generally not as abundant as people on the web like to claim....... to claim it not to be real is stupid, but to claim that some alleged "accounts" of web!transphobia are as real or as hurtful as that of real life transphobia, as far as tumblr at least goes, is pretty ridiculous.

For example, my old friend who switched her gender from that of comfortably normal female to that of an "Agender" ninny or whatever, proceeded to get angry at me for calling her a bitch, and has constantly screamed at me for spouting "gendered slurs" at her, which is where my joke status comes from. She just doesn't want to be insulted, period, because it implies that she is anything but a pristinely perfect child, but really, she isn't. She's an apathetic nutcase committed to a false "justice" movement that is just gonna hurt her in the end. I have no sympathy for someone who isnt actually gender dysphoric or suffering any kind of bigotry in reality spouting that crap at my face.

My patience only stretches so far when it concerns serious accusations that have been very loftily used against me regarding -ists, -phobias, and other suffixes- by these ninnies, all of which have been lies to somehow shift people over to their side or to garner them pity. Some things I can only take for a certain time before i erupt and become unreasonably angry at the whiners in question and try and snap them back into shape. I have no tolerance for being harped at by a bunch of scavenging birds who are looking to damage me in the name of their silly little form of web justice that has no impact outside of the internet whatsoever, especially if it's just to bolster their low self esteem.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

Faggot? What is this, 4chan?


Nope this is the Tumblr Hugbox. We stopped calling people faggots because its apparently a complement to some people.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/16
Lonely parenthesis wants it's mate.
)
Lonely parenthesis is looking the wrong way.
Look the other way Lonely parenthesis!
(


41649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

dragontackle wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

Faggot? What is this, 4chan?


Nope this is the Tumblr Hugbox


LOL... actually... I'm fine with the usage of the word on the web, at this point it's kind of lost its original 'offensive' connotations anyway, all the same, I'm not a huge fan of using it in real conversation, but online... i don't really care. It's meaningless here. I don't really care if a bunch of guys push one another around and use it irl either, if someone gay actually really gives a shit they can come forward and say it, but to me, as a bystander, I don't see any point in screaming about the word being used unless it's actually being used to bully someone literally....

Man, if we're in the tumblr hugbox, perhaps the new placeholder for it should be "gay slur"...
1062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Northwestern Unit...
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

Well, obviously, they're not making it up, but they are overblowing the statistics as well as overgeneralizing when they say crap like "all cis people are inherently transphobic", implying that hatred towards them is somehow ingrained in people who are comfortable with their genitals... as a way to earn extra pity points, which is pretty disgusting. Of course there is actual transphobia, but small web microaggressions on tumblr or something don't generally constitute it. I'm just constantly sick of being called one for not agreeing with the extreme of things and the thousands of new 'genders' and 'sexualities' that people think are somehow 'inventive' or 'cute', but to me are just overwhelmingly alike and difficult to understand, since most of the newly invented 'genders' and 'sexualities' are either complete and utter nonsense, or generally based off of one component of a preexisting sexuality - in the case of shit like demisexuality (apparently you have to have an ~emotional bond~ to your partner before you consummate a relationship, implying that most people don't do that, and everyone is somehow an easy sex maniac unless they're not ~DEMIIIIII~, which is ridiculous, because most people normally try to form some kind of bond to a partner before the relationship has sexual intimacy, but w/e...), considered to be completely normal and in no way 'marginalized'....

The point is, of course prejudice against trans people is real, but it's generally not as abundant as people on the web like to claim....... to claim it not to be real is stupid, but to claim that some alleged "accounts" of web!transphobia are as real or as hurtful as that of real life transphobia, as far as tumblr at least goes, is pretty ridiculous.

For example, my old friend who switched her gender from that of comfortably normal female to that of an "Agender" ninny or whatever, proceeded to get angry at me for calling her a bitch, and has constantly screamed at me for spouting "gendered slurs" at her, which is where my joke status comes from. She just doesn't want to be insulted, period, because it implies that she is anything but a pristinely perfect child, but really, she isn't. She's an apathetic nutcase committed to a false "justice" movement that is just gonna hurt her in the end. I have no sympathy for someone who isnt actually gender dysphoric or suffering any kind of bigotry in reality spouting that crap at my face.


To be completely honest, I think everyone needs to spend some time off of tumblr. It's very difficult to tell the difference between trolls, teenagers who don't really know any better, and just plain 'ol indoctrinated people who regurgitate the same bullshit over and over again without actually critically thinking about any of it (for fear that they might *gasp* actually have power!! which is bad!!! it's bad to be privileged!!!!111). I used to very much be one of those people who over-zealously "championed" social justice, and since spending some time off of tumblr, my views have changed so dramatically.

Anyway, to address the first paragraph, I'm not sure which statistics are overblown, as I've seen a multitude of statistics concerning trans people, transphobia, violence, etc. and most of the time, considering no one knows how to actually read statistics, I just look at them for myself, so I'm not quite sure which ones you could be referring to, to be frank. The whole "all cis people are transphobic" thing is basically a very rudimentary understanding of the way systems of power work and this like, perversion of those systems into a thing called "privilege", which is then further bastardized until you get "everyone who has power/privilege is bad!" Honestly that's just flat out wrong and really misinterprets a lot of the philosophy and critical theory behind these concepts (which, evidently, the people who frequently say it have not read). I think all cis people are CAPABLE of being transphobic, but to suggest that it's some inherent state, that cis people are literally born from the womb being transphobic, gives off this feeling of helplessness to me. If you're inherently transphobic, and it doesn't actually impact your life all that much (since you're not trans) why would you want to change? What would motivate you to actually critically examine your power/privilege and actually use it for change? Especially when there's a constant fear that if you mess something up, even once, your name will be plastered all over the website and you won't have a moment's peace from everyone and their mom telling you to die or otherwise "calling you out".

I really don't agree with all these labels coming out for "new" genders or sexualities, because I personally feel like it would be easier if everyone just did what they wanted, and everyone else respected that. I don't need a label to be who I am, and who I am is not going to change just because I found out what I should call myself. I think a lot of people feel differently about that, and that's fine for them, I'll respect them for that, but I'm honestly not going to spend my time reading through catablogs about genders or sexualities so I can understand which one predicates an emotional connection and which one does not. That just sounds silly and kind of a waste to me, but it's cool if it helps someone else, I guess?

I have thoughts and feelings on being agender, but as I've already stated that whole spiel about labels and how I generally find them unnecessary, and how I already feel like this is a huge derail on my part, I'll stop there.
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

I find that the comments that come from the anti-LGBT people are usually people that also happen to be religious. I'm seeing a strong correlation between religion and anti-whatever. It's what their book of lies tells them. They also like to say, "But I'm not __phobic, I just don't agree with this lifestyle" as if that doesn't make them phobic.


Believing that homosexuality is a sin does not make you homophobic. Treating homosexuals with hate, discrimination, or prejudice makes you homophobic.

Also, believe what you want. As I have said before, I used to be an atheist, and had no problem with homosexuality. I am now Christian and believe it is a sin. It doesn't change how I feel about the person committing the sin. Not that there aren't some bigots who hide behind religious beliefs, because there are. However, truly following Christ offers no opportunity to hate anyone, regardless of sin.

Calling Christians and other religious people bigots because of beliefs is an outright assault on religion, usually Christianity, and it is far from the truth. However, you can call my bible whatever you want. As I told someone else, it took me 28 years to find my faith, and it means a lot more to me than any slander you can to toss around.

Also, regardless of my religious beliefs, I believe in the separation of church and state, and therefore support gay marriage rights.

God bless you.




amazing
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 1/6/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

I find that the comments that come from the anti-LGBT people are usually people that also happen to be religious. I'm seeing a strong correlation between religion and anti-whatever. It's what their book of lies tells them. They also like to say, "But I'm not __phobic, I just don't agree with this lifestyle" as if that doesn't make them phobic.


Believing that homosexuality is a sin does not make you homophobic. Treating homosexuals with hate, discrimination, or prejudice makes you homophobic.

Also, believe what you want. As I have said before, I used to be an atheist, and had no problem with homosexuality. I am now Christian and believe it is a sin. It doesn't change how I feel about the person committing the sin. Not that there aren't some bigots who hide behind religious beliefs, because there are. However, truly following Christ offers no opportunity to hate anyone, regardless of sin.

Calling Christians and other religious people bigots because of beliefs is an outright assault on religion, usually Christianity, and it is far from the truth. However, you can call my bible whatever you want. As I told someone else, it took me 28 years to find my faith, and it means a lot more to me than any slander you can to toss around.

Also, regardless of my religious beliefs, I believe in the separation of church and state, and therefore support gay marriage rights.

God bless you.


Dude,if more Christians were like you, I probably wouldnt have turned my back on it.
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

dragontackle wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

I find that the comments that come from the anti-LGBT people are usually people that also happen to be religious. I'm seeing a strong correlation between religion and anti-whatever. It's what their book of lies tells them. They also like to say, "But I'm not __phobic, I just don't agree with this lifestyle" as if that doesn't make them phobic.


Believing that homosexuality is a sin does not make you homophobic. Treating homosexuals with hate, discrimination, or prejudice makes you homophobic.

Also, believe what you want. As I have said before, I used to be an atheist, and had no problem with homosexuality. I am now Christian and believe it is a sin. It doesn't change how I feel about the person committing the sin. Not that there aren't some bigots who hide behind religious beliefs, because there are. However, truly following Christ offers no opportunity to hate anyone, regardless of sin.

Calling Christians and other religious people bigots because of beliefs is an outright assault on religion, usually Christianity, and it is far from the truth. However, you can call my bible whatever you want. As I told someone else, it took me 28 years to find my faith, and it means a lot more to me than any slander you can to toss around.

Also, regardless of my religious beliefs, I believe in the separation of church and state, and therefore support gay marriage rights.

God bless you.


Dude,if more Christians were like you, I probably wouldnt have turned my back on it.


actually there are many Christians like him. but most folks are not eloquent in speech and may only know how to respond with an angered defense. Because Christians feel attacked and hated too... just for their beliefs. they're just trying to fight back. Wanting people to understand. Pretty much like any social justice group out there who have good foundations and mean well but can't get across the right way the right things to say.
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 1/6/16 , edited 1/6/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

Well, obviously, they're not making it up, but they are overblowing the statistics as well as overgeneralizing when they say crap like "all cis people are inherently transphobic", implying that hatred towards them is somehow ingrained in people who are comfortable with their genitals... as a way to earn extra pity points, which is pretty disgusting. Of course there is actual transphobia, but small web microaggressions on tumblr or something don't generally constitute it. I'm just constantly sick of being called one for not agreeing with the extreme of things and the thousands of new 'genders' and 'sexualities' that people think are somehow 'inventive' or 'cute', but to me are just overwhelmingly alike and difficult to understand, since most of the newly invented 'genders' and 'sexualities' are either complete and utter nonsense, or generally based off of one component of a preexisting sexuality - in the case of shit like demisexuality (apparently you have to have an ~emotional bond~ to your partner before you consummate a relationship, implying that most people don't do that, and everyone is somehow an easy sex maniac unless they're not ~DEMIIIIII~, which is ridiculous, because most people normally try to form some kind of bond to a partner before the relationship has sexual intimacy, but w/e...), considered to be completely normal and in no way 'marginalized'....

The point is, of course prejudice against trans people is real, but it's generally not as abundant as people on the web like to claim....... to claim it not to be real is stupid, but to claim that some alleged "accounts" of web!transphobia are as real or as hurtful as that of real life transphobia, as far as tumblr at least goes, is pretty ridiculous.

For example, my old friend who switched her gender from that of comfortably normal female to that of an "Agender" ninny or whatever, proceeded to get angry at me for calling her a bitch, and has constantly screamed at me for spouting "gendered slurs" at her, which is where my joke status comes from. She just doesn't want to be insulted, period, because it implies that she is anything but a pristinely perfect child, but really, she isn't. She's an apathetic nutcase committed to a false "justice" movement that is just gonna hurt her in the end. I have no sympathy for someone who isnt actually gender dysphoric or suffering any kind of bigotry in reality spouting that crap at my face.

My patience only stretches so far when it concerns serious accusations that have been very loftily used against me regarding -ists, -phobias, and other suffixes- by these ninnies, all of which have been lies to somehow shift people over to their side or to garner them pity. Some things I can only take for a certain time before i erupt and become unreasonably angry at the whiners in question and try and snap them back into shape. I have no tolerance for being harped at by a bunch of scavenging birds who are looking to damage me in the name of their silly little form of web justice that has no impact outside of the internet whatsoever, especially if it's just to bolster their low self esteem.


So much agree. LGBT is perfectly fine, and I accept people who choose to be that way.. however I can understand why this whole movement can get on peoples nerves.

So, I was reading these posts on Facebook from a 'black queer girls page.' And the way it pretty much goes, cis white males are terrible, and if you try and be nice to them they go all ' you're not LGBT, you don't understand my struggle, leave me alone asshole.'

As with this expansion of 'silly' new freaking 'genders' and 'identities,' like everyone needs to be a special freaking unique cupcake with their own special name. On top of that, they take their pride so far as to openly insult cis people, and use their 'gender identity,' to defend themselves from any accusations by crying wolf when they are being genuine PoS people.

Transphobia does definitely exist, but there are a hell of a lot of people that hurt that case for sure.
Posted 1/7/16

WeeabooWarrior wrote:


lunarxx wrote:



I've been thinking on the bigoted threads circulating about as of late. With all of this talk about thinning out the herd within the ranks of liberals of gays and transgenders, I think its important to say, the left is a fairly diverse group. That being said however, alot of this talk in the spirit of "gays and transgenders not speaking for us" doesn't really address the underlying problem, which is the desire to exclude glbt and other undesireables from american politics. If you think about the many discriminatory threads on homosexuality and gender conformity, it almost seems liike its less to do with trolling liberals and more of a genuine desire to try and change the political landscape of the forums, to "balance" it. Almost.

Not so fast. There is a deliberate effort to label GLBT as mentally ill. It used to be considered that in the DSM. The mentally ill are some of the most vulnerable people in society, it would seem advantageous to put glbt in that group.

I'm wondering if this itself is a form of political extremism? Why must people hate ppl for being different? What can be done about this mindset? Discuss your thoughts on the rash of outcries from self-described moderates and conservatives.





"I've been thinking on the bigoted threads circulating about as of late. With all of this talk about thinning out the herd within the ranks of liberals of gays and transgenders, I think its important to say, the left is a fairly diverse group. "

Diverse as in what?

" That being said however, alot of this talk in the spirit of "gays and transgenders not speaking for us" doesn't really address the underlying problem, which is the desire to exclude glbt and other undesireables from american politics."

Wait, are Transgender people not being included or are the being excluded or excluding LGBT people? I don't know of any real barring of LGBT from American Politics.

"If you think about the many discriminatory threads on homosexuality and gender conformity, it almost seems liike its less to do with trolling liberals and more of a genuine desire to try and change the political landscape of the forums, to "balance" it. Almost. "

I think your getting this idea that Criticizing certain aspects about LGBT or Gender Roles in our society is discrimination, it's not. Of course the majority of it's trolling, this is an internet forum. You can't expect real idea exchange when your in either in an echo chamber or if you never fight your ideas out on Public forums.

"Not so fast. There is a deliberate effort to label GLBT as mentally ill. It used to be considered that in the DSM. The mentally ill are some of the most vulnerable people in society, it would seem advantageous to put glbt in that group.

I'm not certain on whether or not there is a movement to label gays as "mentally ill", but knowing conservative criticisms of the APA, the biggest critique was that the removal of homosexuality as a mental illness was NOT Based on evidence and more so on social pressure.

The leader of the APA during this chapter of it's time can attest to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O33IbTWQ8

"I'm wondering if this itself is a form of political extremism?" Forcing gay's into the DSM manual without proof? Yes. Asking why there was no proof and not telling the whole truth on the situation that would have an effect on an individual? I would say No.


"Why must people hate ppl for being different? "Hatred is a natural emotion. If you wanted to know why people "hate", that simply varies. You also assume that people hate them for being what they are, instead of what they have done. Do we hate murders for being fathers? No, we hate them because they murder.


" What can be done about this mindset?" Being honest.

"Discuss your thoughts on the rash of outcries from self-described moderates and conservatives.

Well as a conservative, I can tell you that this issue is alot more deep than you think. Don't make the mistake of Hindsight Bias or Confirmation bias.


That guy is part of NARTH, who are an organization for conversion therapy, which everyone in the scientific community knows doesn't work to "cure" homosexuality. Because its not an illness, thus proven they can't effectively treat it. "ex-gay" movements inefficacy and greater harm than good are cases in point. Homosexuality is not a disease, modern science agrees.
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

What is a qualifier for transphobia nowadays, telling someone straight up that they're not a bigender elfkin? Ha ha. If anything, nondyphoric transtrenders and their ridiculous 'ids' are tremendously insulting to actual trans people, but whatever.


As far as I'm concerned, if someone claimed they've kept something swept under the rug their entire lives for other people in their lives, who am I to call them a liar or an attention whore? Its not any else's place to decide what another person identifies as. Sure I don't have to care, but that don't mean I know they are lying or doing it for attention. For all I know they might really be suffering and its just something that people don't understand or accept. People can live their entire lives being what they think others want them to be, and not say a word, because those that do have to risk losing their friends and family, that goes for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgendered. Yeah, there are the attention whores that are just claiming it to be special and noticed , but as you say most real ones that come out aren't doing it for that.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


I was actually raised in a Catholic home. Perhaps if more of the religious were this pleasant--my relationship with it would have turned out differently. Then again, perhaps not. Still a welcome sight to see.

48494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

I find that the comments that come from the anti-LGBT people are usually people that also happen to be religious. I'm seeing a strong correlation between religion and anti-whatever. It's what their book of lies tells them. They also like to say, "But I'm not __phobic, I just don't agree with this lifestyle" as if that doesn't make them phobic.


Believing that homosexuality is a sin does not make you homophobic. Treating homosexuals with hate, discrimination, or prejudice makes you homophobic.

Also, believe what you want. As I have said before, I used to be an atheist, and had no problem with homosexuality. I am now Christian and believe it is a sin. It doesn't change how I feel about the person committing the sin. Not that there aren't some bigots who hide behind religious beliefs, because there are. However, truly following Christ offers no opportunity to hate anyone, regardless of sin.

Calling Christians and other religious people bigots because of beliefs is an outright assault on religion, usually Christianity, and it is far from the truth. However, you can call my bible whatever you want. As I told someone else, it took me 28 years to find my faith, and it means a lot more to me than any slander you can to toss around.

Also, regardless of my religious beliefs, I believe in the separation of church and state, and therefore support gay marriage rights.

God bless you.
Since it's been a long time since my curious-about-this-religious-stuff church going days, I think that the church has actually moved toward and made an effort to align itself with the anti-glbt movement. So I'm always a bit skeptical about people who claim to be Christian yet deny all accusations of bigotry (even if sometimes that is an unfair accusation). What I mean is that as an atheist I see the church and the organization of Christianity as a homophobic one and so anyone who joins or participate is automatically also guilty of that homophobia to a certain extent. It's kind of the same you wouldn't join the KKK because it has a bad rap of being racist, and people would see you as racist for associating with them, right? When we join a group and willingly advertise our membership to that group, we allow any preconceived notions people have about that group (accurate or not) to be applied to us as well.

Of course if you still want to be a Christian that's fine, just worship in private, read the Bible and interpret it how you believe to be correct and enjoy believing that you have a special friend up in Heaven watching over you or whatever. I think all those things can make you a Christian. But you really can't fault people for calling you a bigot for openly associating with an organization that I think does really make an effort to be politically and socially homophobic. And that's not your fault, but it is your fault if you don't put enough effort into dispelling that perception you don't want people to have of you personally. Think about it.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.