First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Gender and race swaps in well established stories....
993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


ran76 wrote:

since you finally admitted you were wrong I'll leave you alone(as long as you don't keep replying)... so much for wanting to argue, huh?



Yes, please do. Next time, how about we just whip them out and measure them? Wouldn't that be much quicker?


Also, ONE thing I said was factually inaccurate. You still ranted about what I was saying without even understanding what I was saying.


you just couldn't leave it alone? I clearly gave you an out. but, apparently, you just can't help yourself. and you claim I'm the one that wants to keep arguing?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

ran76 wrote:

you just couldn't leave it alone? I clearly gave you an out. but, apparently, you just can't help yourself. and you claim I'm the one that wants to keep arguing?


Oh, the guy picking arguments gave me an out.... I'm so privileged.
993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


ran76 wrote:

you just couldn't leave it alone? I clearly gave you an out. but, apparently, you just can't help yourself. and you claim I'm the one that wants to keep arguing?


Oh, the guy picking arguments gave me an out.... I'm so privileged.


You're the one that said you wanted this conversation to be over, yet you keep coming back. I find that rather... odd. But I'm in a reasonable mood so you get a second chance. Anything after this is entirely on your head. Please choose wisely.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

ran76 wrote:
You're the one that said you wanted this conversation to be over, yet you keep coming back. I find that rather... odd. But I'm in a reasonable mood so you get a second chance. Anything after this is entirely on your head. Please choose wisely.


Hit me with your best. Unfortunately, that'll probably mean twisting everything I said into a completely different meaning before you even have anything to argue with. And that's my point. You didn't even seem to understand what I was saying from the beginning.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
Im against whitewashing characters.
993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


ran76 wrote:
You're the one that said you wanted this conversation to be over, yet you keep coming back. I find that rather... odd. But I'm in a reasonable mood so you get a second chance. Anything after this is entirely on your head. Please choose wisely.


Hit me with your best. Unfortunately, that'll probably mean twisting everything I said into a completely different meaning before you even have anything to argue with. And that's my point. You didn't even seem to understand what I was saying from the beginning.


I don't really have to "hit you" with my best shot. Because I've said what I felt I had to... unless you mean you being a liar.

"Oh, I want this to be over, but I have this weird compulsion o get the last word in even when I admit I was wrong about some I was talking about."

10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

megahobbit wrote:

Im against whitewashing characters.


So am I. But, that's kind of my point. If you want to make real lovable characters that are dear to our hearts, taking a previously established character and changing them isn't the way to do it.

We simply need to create new characters.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

ran76 wrote:


I don't really have to "hit you" with my best shot. Because I've said what I felt I had to... unless you mean you being a liar.

"Oh, I want this to be over, but I have this weird compulsion o get the last word in even when I admit I was wrong about some I was talking about."



Actually never said I wanted it to be over, I simply said that you wanted to argue. Which you did, until I admitted to know less of Ms. Thor than you. Then you wanted to walk away like a winner. *slow clap*

However, you never really addressed what I discussed in OP. You DID misinterpret what I said... entirely. And went on a rant about that. When that didn't work out, you switched to the Ms. Thor argument.

So, I'm simply saying, if you want to have a real discussion, discuss OP. You might want to understand what I was saying to begin with, though.
3060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:




the master was a man too. yet everyone loves missy. a female doctor is the next logical step for doctor who to go in, but it is up to the actor to do it well.


Not everyone, I find the idea of Missy ridiculous. Firstly, because I think a male character should remain a male character. But secondly. the Master has died at least twice now. And the Doctor himself shouldn't even be alive since he has regenerated too many times. But Steven Moffat has just made the series really silly now. I don't think even he understands the plot and he writes it. He probably writes all the Doctor Who episodes at 3am while stoned and drunk

it was established back in "The eleventh hour" that regenerating into a girl was a possibility for male time lords. nothing about the doctor's character is defined by him being a male, he never even has the same type of personality from regeneration to regeneration. I'm sure that if he regenerated into a girl he wouldnt even give it a second though. it would probably make bigger waves if he regenerated to be black than it would if he regenerated to be a woman. and if moffat hadn't given him a new string of regenerations, guess what? the show would be done. and no one is ready for that.
993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Actually never said I wanted it to be over, I simply said that you wanted to argue. Which you did, until I admitted to know less of Ms. Thor than you. Then you wanted to walk away like a winner. *slow clap*

However, you never really addressed what I discussed in OP. You DID misinterpret what I said... entirely. And went on a rant about that. When that didn't work out, you switched to the Ms. Thor argument.

So, I'm simply saying, if you want to have a real discussion, discuss OP. You might want to understand what I was saying to begin with, though.


So does that means you actually wanted to continue? Because saying "You just want to argue." usually implies you don't want to continue the conversation yourself.

You also seemed to forget I did agree with you on Wally West. I didn't say anything on 007 because I'm kind of indifferent on the character.

I switched to the "Ms. Thor" argument? 1st of all, you're the one that brought her up in the first place in your OP and my 1st post was a response to that. That's hardly "switching to".

Just because I disagree with the things you wrote doesn't mean I misinterpreted it, it just means I disagreed with it. Same goes with correcting something you wrote(which you later admitted to be in error). You keep calling it a rant. I think that thesis you call an OP falls under "rant" a little better than two short paragraphs on my part
44855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
I understand the issue and agree that if james bond was black it would change the character but I dont think it would change it too drasticaly. If you put bond in a modern setting and consider this bond to be a different person from the ones in the other movies he could easily be black. I'm sure there are many black people born and living in Britain or England. though it may be less common there than in the US. the only problem is that it would be hard for him to blend into a crowd since those countries are probably mostly white people.

I would also like to point out that when I heard daniel craig was going to be bond i thought it was a bad idea. he is not what I expected bond to look like. bond, to me, is white with dark hair and a british accent. daniel craig is blond. he looks more german than british. I didn't really watch the movie so i dont know if he had a british accent. but from the clips iv seen the movie looked ok.

Then theres movies where they clearly change a character to a different race and it doesnt work. in The last Airbender they cast the northern water tribe people as white when in the original show they were more native or inuit. I felt like it created a disconnect between the actors and the characters they played. and the fire nation has a very chinese look to it but they used actors of an Indian descent while the outfits looked like mongolian armor. also it was no where near as funny as the original show. the actor that played sokka was not funny enough and stilll looked like the vampire he played in twilight.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

ran76 wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

Actually never said I wanted it to be over, I simply said that you wanted to argue. Which you did, until I admitted to know less of Ms. Thor than you. Then you wanted to walk away like a winner. *slow clap*

However, you never really addressed what I discussed in OP. You DID misinterpret what I said... entirely. And went on a rant about that. When that didn't work out, you switched to the Ms. Thor argument.

So, I'm simply saying, if you want to have a real discussion, discuss OP. You might want to understand what I was saying to begin with, though.


So does that means you actually wanted to continue? Because saying "You just want to argue." usually implies you don't want to continue the conversation yourself.

You also seemed to forget I did agree with you on Wally West. I didn't say anything on 007 because I'm kind of indifferent on the character.

I switched to the "Ms. Thor" argument? 1st of all, you're the one that brought her up in the first place in your OP and my 1st post was a response to that. That's hardly "switching to".

Just because I disagree with the things you wrote doesn't mean I misinterpreted it, it just means I disagreed with it. Same goes with correcting something you wrote(which you later admitted to be in error). You keep calling it a rant. I think that thesis you call an OP falls under "rant" a little better than two short paragraphs on my part


I mentioned Thor in passing. That's all.

And actually, you did misinterpret.

I'm simply saying discuss OP. We've cleared up the Thor issue, now let's get back to the meat and potatoes, which you keep avoiding.

Do you understand what OP was saying? What was OP saying? So far, it seems like you really don't know.

And admittedly I rambled on a bit in OP, which was noted at the bottom of OP, so you won't get any arguments there. It was literally stated by me from the beginning.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/8/16



it was established back in "The eleventh hour" that regenerating into a girl was a possibility for male time lords. nothing about the doctor's character is defined by him being a male, he never even has the same type of personality from regeneration to regeneration. I'm sure that if he regenerated into a girl he wouldnt even give it a second though. it would probably make bigger waves if he regenerated to be black than it would if he regenerated to be a woman. and if moffat hadn't given him a new string of regenerations, guess what? the show would be done. and no one is ready for that.



I wasn't aware that it had already been established he could regenerate into a girl. But even so, he's been a male character for so long it would be rather odd. And if he has always been able to regenerate into a female, why has there been no female doctors yet?

I know most people are not ready for the end of Doctor Who. And fair enough if Moffat found a way to actually explain why the Doctor regenerated again without dying, but he didn't. We all just have to go along with it. The last 3 seasons have made absolutely no sense at all.
14751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16


Trewill91 wrote:the master was a man too. yet everyone loves missy. a female doctor is the next logical step for doctor who to go in, but it is up to the actor to do it well.


Not everyone, I find the idea of Missy ridiculous. Firstly, because I think a male character should remain a male character. But secondly. the Master has died at least twice now. .


And once turned into a slimy spirit-snake so he could possess Eric Roberts instead of just regenerating.
(No, no, the Fox TV-movie is now canon, so we have to accept it as a thing, just like the idea that the Daleks would have "put the Master on trial"...)


eclair-lumiere wrote:And fair enough if Moffat found a way to actually explain why the Doctor regenerated again without dying, but he didn't. We all just have to go along with it. The last 3 seasons have made absolutely no sense at all.



Me, I've just taken it for granted that the New Series has Not Freakin' Clue One what they do with the old series or canon.
That was an impression formed very early on with Russell T. Davies, Billie Piper and the first two seasons (the Companion is not the Doctor's "hot date", any more than Peri or Tegan was!), and has while it has become slightly more forgiving enough to be curious about the Moffat years, hasn't significantly warmed since.

(I remember one BBC documentary that had harsh words for the new series early on, in that it was so busy being Do-It-Yourself Douglas Adams to kiss up to the Tom Baker image, it took away the classic Doctor's Holmes-like ability to find unique escape routes. The Baker or Pertwee Doctor's odd genius might use an overlooked trick of science to get out of a tight spot, while the Tennant or Smith Doctor might suddenly say "Of course, this could only come from Thrumpylaxian III, that explains everything!")
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
I still don't see why it matters.
It's a color of skin.
It's an extra fold of flesh in the chest area.
Who
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.