First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Derogatory words and cursing
13618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
A word is an assortment of letters with a particular order. That's it. The primary reason for words is language and the entire purpose of language is communication. There are no universal meanings attached to words, they are created and changed by ANYONE. This includes the prestigious n word that really gets people angry.

That being said I'd rather not swear. It's something I do because I'm linguistically dumb and use it as a filler or subconsciously while playing a video game or something.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
The sentiment is more important than the word. when people insert cursing into their phrases as a pseudo hyperbole I auto remove them in my mind and if it makes more sense my way it means the speaker went out of their way to be less effective and I end up thinking less of the speaker.

On younger generations not thinking much of it, I think it says less about respect and more about tolerance, I've seen elderly people act very indignant over what they don't like hearing.
41699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
I curse a lot, I've gotten significantly better over the years, but I don't particularly care how offensive someone finds it in a casual social situation, usually. I'm not gonna appeal to some bitch's oversensitivities just to gratify her/̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ preferences or adversity towards cursing, at least not to the point of 100% abstaining from it. Someone who wants to be my friend is going to have to tolerate the vulgarity I have in me, I've tried to fully tone it down over the years but it's basically impossible.

If you're the one who's so easily offended by the word "bitch" to the point where you make outrageous claims that sound attention seeking such as "the word bitch essentially makes me want to dieeee", then I really have no words. That's crossing the line at being offended, bitch isn't even that derogatory. If it were actually something that COULD qualify as a "slur", whatever, but the singular usage of the word bitch, if it sends you spiraling into such anxiety- well, you need a therapist.

I covered the whole lot of the fact that general curses aren't equal to "slurs" in one of my blog vents. The connotations towards general curses, while generally not pleasant, are nowhere near that of slurs such as the n-word that have been used to demean people based on race, for example. Surely, cursing isn't nice, but the intentions of it are not always bad and in modern context they're not always meant to be demeaning. So calling them "slurs" isn't right at all. Don't like them, don't use them, but you cannot stop the rest of the world from using them unless you wish to remain trapped in a safe bubble for the remainder of your life.
22322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

PrinceJudar wrote:

Please tell me I'm not the only child that had been dragged to the shower and made to swallow soap. All it took was one swear word, and I hadn't even known what it had meant at the time. After that I didn't start swearing until late high school...the rest is history.

Thankfully we had bar soap at the time. My sister got liquid soap.



Oh yeah, got that when I was younger. I also spent a lot of my early life in a Christian daycare and up to 3rd grade. Then there was public school and it was quite a change. It almost felt unavoidable to slip and swear. My mother was quite reasonable though and started to just scold me. Now as I said previously I mostly don't care.



stars201 wrote:

Oh as a child? Well as a child, if I swear in front of my parents, I get beat up for it. I would rather get grounded or swallow soap than get bruises and scars


That's horrible. I hope all those still important to you have learned better ways.
Posted 1/7/16

GrandMasterTime wrote:

A word is an assortment of letters with a particular order. That's it. The primary reason for words is language and the entire purpose of language is communication. There are no universal meanings attached to words, they are created and changed by ANYONE. This includes the prestigious n word that really gets people angry.

That being said I'd rather not swear. It's something I do because I'm linguistically dumb and use it as a filler or subconsciously while playing a video game or something.


The meanings get blurred and bent by the media, becoming sensitized. Politically charged words become buzz words and umbrella terms. SJWs for example, homophobia, for example, et cetera. Its a climate issue. In 1950 calling a black man a negro woiuld have been normal, today, you might get hurt, lose your job or get sued.

My question is this: Which is more a problem to be solved, how to change the acceptance of the hated word, or why we want to use it in the first place? Makes you wonder, wtf.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
I have a problem with people throwing around slurs could care less about cussing.
Posted 1/7/16
I don't really know why cursing is grouped with slurs by OP, most would come to a consensus on slurs being bad , noone really cares about who is cursing..
Posted 1/7/16
This is when I would not call you a fa***t: Your voice, behavior and choice of words make my skin crawl; you're being obnoxious and creepy. You're a grown man, on the phone with your mother, and the conversation from your end goes something like this "OMG, we were on the ocean, right? and, OMG, like, the waves were sooooooo huge, like OMG, mhmmm, yes, I love you too mommy, mhmmm, bye-byeee." Now, you may be obnoxious and creepy, and you may make my skin crawl, but what you say and do is none of my business. I wouldn't feel a reason to laugh, or make fun, or in any way go out of my way to insult you. In fact, I wouldn't talk about you, or talk to you. And, what you are is the least of my concern. What I would least of all do is consider you homosexual simply because you're putting on a pretentious display that is a very disgusting.

This is when I would call you a fa***t: Like I wrote above, your voice, your behavior, and your choice of words make my skin crawl; you're being obnoxious and creepy, but wait for it... now you're also going to be an asshole, and you're not just going to be an asshole, you're going to be an asshole to me. I'm having a conversation with someone, and I reply them with "Sure, Asian chicks are hot," and from out of the blue, you barge in, in my business, direct your attention towards me, raise your voice at me, and try to make me look bad and feel bad in front of everyone, try to shame me, hang me by the neck as a sexist and a racist, make an example out of me, you try to make me feel ashamed about the words I chose to use, words you twisted to mean the opposite of what I meant. 1. I referred to an ethnicity, 2. I stated that my reaction was positive towards said ethnicity, 3. I used the only term available to my vocabulary to describe the opposite sex in this context ("jenter" usually implies that we're talking about "little girls" meaning preteens and babies which I'm not attracted to, "kjærring" is often confused as being insulting towards women even though it originally means "dearest" so I stay clear of using the term, and "kvinner" is a formal word which is mostly if not only used in a small part of the country and which does not suit my dialect at all).

If I call you a fa***t, I'm not going to apologize for it because it was likely, no, certainly due to a very good reason.
Posted 1/7/16
^I laughed so hard.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
can I see a link to the closed thread pls ^^
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
You can curse and sound intelligent in a conversation or you can curse and sound like you haven't made it past the 3rd grade in education and maturity. The first one is fine, you can even curse like a sailor and it's cool.. If it comes to the point where you curse words fill in your linguistic incompetency then it becomes sort of annoying.

Derogatory words are much more dangerous. In general, don't use then.. using them in a private settings with friends, just messing with each other is okay, but it can get out of hand.


lambofgenesis wrote:

can I see a link to the closed thread pls ^^


http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-934395/is-it-rational-to-assume-people-who-use-the-word-faggot-or-nigger-to-be-racist

Your wish has been granted.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

Shenseiken wrote:

I'm sure it probably wasn't the most thoughtful comment. You have to be responsible though if you're going to start using abstruse or rare definitions. Good to hear your friend was open-minded in the end, but you can't blame others you're not familiar with if they took it in a way that was unintended.

Like I said, I know it wasn't the most appropriate thing for me to say. It slipped out, as in, I wasn't thinking in the rush of the moment and it just happened to be the word that I said.

It's neither an abstruse nor a rare definition, I wasn't the first person that I know to know what the meaning of the word is. I used to think that it was a slur word for black people just like a lot of people, but I'm not an idiot nor am I afraid to admit that I was wrong, and when my friend showed me what the actual definition was, I accepted my newfound definition of the term.

People these days literally can't be fucked with with to learn new things, and that includes learning more to things that you already know (you may know that nigger has been used as slang to refer to a black person, but you don't know the original definition until someone brings it to your attention.)

That being said, I generally have pretty open minded friends. I wouldn't be able to get along with someone with a lock on their brain.

If I explain to someone what the term is and even have to prove it to them, but they're still being obtuse about it, then they can go fuck themself.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
Words are just words and it all depends on the context in which you use them. The word itself isn't bad. But if you use it in an insulting or derogatory way THEN it becomes bad.

Also,not surprised PV's post got closed. There's a lot of favouritism on here. Some rules for some people. Other rules for others. I've noticed that despite PV posts some of the most coherent and intelligent posts and never insults or trolls anyone he has been banned at least once and his posts get closed. Yet other people go around insulting everyone and posting obvious troll posts yet nothing is done.
22322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

People these days literally can't be fucked with with to learn new things, and that includes learning more to things that you already know (you may know that nigger has been used as slang to refer to a black person, but you don't know the original definition until someone brings it to your attention.)

If I explain to someone what the term is and even have to prove it to them, but they're still being obtuse about it, then they can go fuck themself.


I think your own words can help present my meaning. In my experience, and seemingly yours, it would serve to show most people are of this mindset. Your suggested definition is what I would call rare and moving towards the obsolete. If you go about using terms like those you should at least be prepared to explain yourself. There are other well understood words to say what you're meaning.

However if you read the rest of my post, I did stress the importance of inquiry and open-mindedness.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Shenseiken wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

People these days literally can't be fucked with with to learn new things, and that includes learning more to things that you already know (you may know that nigger has been used as slang to refer to a black person, but you don't know the original definition until someone brings it to your attention.)

If I explain to someone what the term is and even have to prove it to them, but they're still being obtuse about it, then they can go fuck themself.


I think your own words can help present my meaning. In my experience, and seemingly yours, it would serve to show most people are of this mindset. That is what I would call rare and moving towards the obsolete. If you go about using terms like those you should at least be prepared to explain yourself. There are other well understood words to say what you're meaning.

However if you read the rest of my post, I did stress the importance of inquiry and open-mindedness.

Hmm, I can agree with that. I know the word is changing, it just still feels annoying that you're automatically branded a racist for using a word outside of racial intent.

But like I have said, I do not use the word regularly, it was a slip. I could have easily said idiot, which would not have even been a thing just because of differing connotation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.