First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Derogatory words and cursing
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:

Ya know the Japanese don't really have curse words. They have insulting words and insulting words with a lot of emotion in them but even their kids say the same insults that adults do.


wat.

baka
teme
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
There's a time and place for words. I curse fairly a lot, but I'm mindful enough that people that I'm not friends with say that I never curse.

Now when I'm with my friends, there's no limit on cursing, racism, and insults. If I'm pissed I usually slip up though, with fairly brutal and horrific results. Like people get scared by my words because of how racist, violent, and terrible the phrases I say are. Oh well, haha

Like me and my friends say, words are just words, they only mean what you think. Some people are too spineless to know that, so that's why I'm mindful, I don't wanna deal with their shit.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
For me I don't give a shit what the word is. I use all sorts of language. Your relationship with a person and the context/tone the words are used in decide the meaning it's intended as. Words can be powerful weapons or tools of communication. All depends on how you wield them.

Now whether or not another person perceives that correctly is another story. Fuck them though. That part isn't my problem.
571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Missouri
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16
Eh, it's pretty much just contextual and situational, OP. There are so many variables.

Let's say you're having a conversation and someone who has never seen you for the first time looks at you in a magic crystal ball. All they see is this one hypothetical conversation for their first impression. You're seen as low class by using vulgar language because lower class people generally have poorer education and implied that they cannot articulate themselves as well as higher class people. Articulation is seen as higher class because it implies being intelligent or educated. That's just how society has raised not just us, but everyone before us since the dawn of civilization and is pretty accurate.


Inside that conversation itself, it's different. The style of language you use is completely, totally, 100% dependent on the circumstances. It's alright to call someone a "stupid fucking cunt' online (and I do that myself a little often than I should) or with friends. But you dare not say that in your thesis defense or you will be a laughingstock of academia. You articulate yourself in that social situation instead, but you really don't have to online and usually don't. And you talk neither in a vulgar manner nor like a pompous twat in other situations like a job interview, walking the middle of the road. It's kind of like the concept as using "yall" here where it's actually said. Yeah, I use it when talking to most groups of people but I have to articulate myself in others and it's totally taboo altogether in any form of serious writing unless for dialogue, poetry, etc.

I wish more people would write on this subject so I could actually enjoy reading for once. Language and social circumstances intertwine closely and it's such a super interesting concept.

tl;dr: the third person sees you as educated/uneducated depending on the style you use but the style of language you (the first person) use depends 100% on the social situation and/or your closeness to the second person.

Also forgive me for grammar errors because I am a little tipsy right now. I love you Samuel Adams.
24271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
Sticks and stones can break your bones but words can make you butthurt. I try not to put too much stock in it because opinions...
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
Anyone who gets offended by swearing is, putting it lightly, a stuck up cunt.
16789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

lambofgenesis wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

Ya know the Japanese don't really have curse words. They have insulting words and insulting words with a lot of emotion in them but even their kids say the same insults that adults do.


wat.

baka
teme


Kisama chikushou gaijin

:P
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

lunarxx wrote:

I don't really know why cursing is grouped with slurs by OP, most would come to a consensus on slurs being bad , noone really cares about who is cursing..


The line between them can and often blends into gray areas. The word "bitch" was considered derogatory towards women once upon a time, but the stigma surrounding the word has changed quite a good deal. Although some people attempt to put that weight on the word again--for rather unfathomable reason.


Rujikin wrote:

I hate people that curse for every other word because then it loses all meaning. You can't tell how they mean it because they use it to describe EVERYTHING. While we are on-topic I feel this is a good time to use this





Posted 1/8/16
Fantastically said PrinceJudar, you specified my mindset and the relation one's perception has on everything in every given situation. I don't really see a reason in repeating something so well advocated at this point so I'll leave my regards here and depart.
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
I'm not the first one to say it in this thread but I agree that the word themselves are harmless, it's the meaning behind the word. I don't care what you say around me, until you intend for the word to have a deep hateful meaning. Say what you want, but when you cross the line between simply using a word with little to no purpose and being hateful, expect me to call you out on it.

Not that it really matters if I say anything. You're gonna say what you want to say regardless. Just know that Southern-senpai does not approve.
4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Ive never really cursed growing up, but I have realized that as you get older your tolerance gets lower, your temper is easier to set off, and the filter between your head & your mouth become practically non-existent. As a result I'm turning into a sailor. Children, you have been warned.
20902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
"Words lose their meaning the more they are used. For instance the word 'gay' and 'retarded'. "

Well gay is in the dictionary as informal for Stupid...

Honestly i use derogatory and curse words alot even saying "Oh that's gay" i believe it depends on the context in what you are saying and not the words themselves.

But that's my opinion on the matter
30783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
I think people who get offended by words, rather than the intent behind the words have far too much time on their hands. I just don't understand how someone could get so offended by someone saying "fuck", or the word arbitrarily deemed as super offensive, "cunt". Why is that more offensive than "dick"? Who rates what words are more offensive than others? I know people would like to believe that the excessive use of cursing is a sign of society's rapid downfall, but what harm does cursing honestly do?

For example, and try to be lenient with me here, mods, if I were to say, "motherfucking", "bitch", "ass" and "cunt" separately, most people with a reasonable threshold for offense wouldn't care. But then if I were to say "You're a motherfucking bitch ass cunt," it becomes a whole lot more aggressive, and then maybe I can understand some offense to the words.

Slurs, though, are a whole other matter, and I feel like they should be treated on a separate level than curse words. I'd still say that the intent matters more, but not by much. Even writing such words in a discussion, some people would still be offended by them just being used.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

Seems by the responses that most people aren't opposed to swearing outside of inappropriate situations or contexts.



Komaku wrote:

Fantastically said PrinceJudar, you specified my mindset and the relation one's perception has on everything in every given situation. I don't really see a reason in repeating something so well advocated at this point so I'll leave my regards here and depart.


Appreciated.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 1/9/16
I have diffrent levels of curse words depending on who I am around eg. 'poop' around little kids and 'shit' around teens/adults.
In my family calling each other moron, idiot, baka ect. is considered fine but being called 'special' is masively insulting.
'faggot' in the UK can be used as a insult towards a gay/effeminate person but its also a type of meatball and also means a bundle of (useally) wood. Though it is not commonally used anymore re the wood.
Context is definatly important.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.