First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Automatic anti bully system
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16


If we should have something to block on the PC/phone. Then we should target the MAC number since it's unique to all devices. However someone can just buy a new phone or PC if they want to circumvent that... And yeah there are methods to hids/modify it, but it's not as simple as just use a VPN or proxy to hide
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

lunarxx wrote:

This is the kind of thinking that is fallacious: Its not that someone can't take it so much as they don't wish to be annoyed by the inconvenience of swatting mosquitos. Its quite silly from my point of view tbh. If something offends someone, they shouldn't be forced to endure hazing to prove to others they're tough.


You don't have to endure hazing, you just have to deal with your bullies. Now, I agree that there are some issues online that are hard to deal with, but there are other ways to handle these issues.

My point is that create bubbles around ourselves, without learning to deal with bullying, is an issue.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

Software isn't the solution since software is flawed and isn't solid like some (including you) would assume. A auto block system wouldn't help at all since it'll have one of two things, a extremely lax architectural detection system at which point it won't help anyone since it won't detect something. Or it'll have such a strict system where it'll consider everything offensive to the point where someone saying something about the weather could be considered offensive by the system. And even if that wasn't the case, then it wouldn't be able to tell what one individual would consider offensive and what someone completely else would consider offensive.


Okay controversial opinion coming up. I think a strict system will be alot better than what we have. Autoblockers are not new. Randi Lee Harper for example made one for blocking people who follow the GG movement. Im gonna assume your being hyperbolic with your example of the strict system but in my view I dont see a problem with overshooting a bit. Sure some accounts that are completely unrelated are going to be blocked. That will happen. But as long as this hypothetical auto blocker is an opt in opt out kind of thing I dont see a problem with that


A IP block system of sorts would just be even more stupid then a auto system... Ever heard of a proxy, VPN (virtual private network) or tor? Their tools that let's you switch IP in addition to make you appear is if you were in another country. If I want then I can switch IP now in like 20sec. Even if that wasn't the case then there are ISP's out there that switch around their customers IP's, so if there was a IP block system then it would mean that what one customer did might block someone else out completely who haven't done a thing[


Yeah im not an idiot. I know how IPs, VPNs, and Tor work weve all browsed an /x/ thread on the deep web. I take it back then IP banning would be useless.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:
If we should have something to block on the PC/phone. Then we should target the MAC number since it's unique to all devices. However someone can just buy a new phone or PC if they want to circumvent that... And yeah there are methods to hids/modify it, but it's not as simple as just use a VPN or proxy to hide


Actually, it's really easy to change MAC number for a computer. I.... knew someone who did it on another site because the mods got a little big for their britches. He still has an account over there, but got bored with reminding the mods they had no real power, so stopped. He's not quite so hateful, these days.

Also, for the record, it isn't hard to change IP addresses, either.

In fact, you don't really even have to be a hacker to know how to get around bans like it's nobody's business. The toughest part is making the many email addresses and accounts you'll need to be that level of an ass.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


lunarxx wrote:

This is the kind of thinking that is fallacious: Its not that someone can't take it so much as they don't wish to be annoyed by the inconvenience of swatting mosquitos. Its quite silly from my point of view tbh. If something offends someone, they shouldn't be forced to endure hazing to prove to others they're tough.


You don't have to endure hazing, you just have to deal with your bullies. Now, I agree that there are some issues online that are hard to deal with, but there are other ways to handle these issues.

My point is that create bubbles around ourselves, without learning to deal with bullying, is an issue.


So your logic is just suck it up. Sorry dude thats kinda BS especially in the internet age.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:
MAC is not transmitted when you browse websites. It transmits the user-agent (browser) but that isn't much use. If you install an app on a phone it can track personal identification info on it to use to block you. Also you can often change the MAC address that programs see but you can't change the burned-in MAC address.


Can be, if the site requests it. I think you may have to agree to a user agreement for this, not sure.

However, I know of at least one place that uses all three: browser, IP, and Mac.

Again, I, um, knew someone who got around that, and he's no hacker, I can tell you.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:
If we should have something to block on the PC/phone. Then we should target the MAC number since it's unique to all devices. However someone can just buy a new phone or PC if they want to circumvent that... And yeah there are methods to hids/modify it, but it's not as simple as just use a VPN or proxy to hide


Actually, it's really easy to change MAC number for a computer. I.... knew someone who did it on another site because the mods got a little big for their britches. He still has an account over there, but got bored with reminding the mods they had no real power, so stopped. He's not quite so hateful, these days.


I didn't mean it like that

I know a MAC number can be modified with ease, however what I meant was that it isn't as easy as just installing a proxy/VPN and pressing a button. If you want to modify such information then you'll have to get into CMD/command which is a bit more hard and most people won't try this since they may not understand the code their putting in. But if their really desperate then they too might do that, after all bullies are just no lifers who got nothing better to do
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Im down with fighting harassment on the web and I welcome programs and systems like this. Twitter is absolutely shit at handling harassment ("BUT MUH BLOCK BUTTON" says the guy whos never heard of a sock puppet account) and I think there is alot they could do better.


A system like this will help in some cases, however it won't help in most cases and just do a bunch of mistakes.

I mean have you checked youtubes content ID system that is suppose to protect copyrighted content, it can't deem what's a copyright offend and what's a review or opinion about something.... As someone who have a degree in software development I can say that this won't really help since software is flawed by defalut


Well the thing here is I need to know more about what exactly the system entails seeing as how vague they were. For me I would propose an autoblock system for users. IE they can block out people who re-tweet certain people, follow certian people, use certain hashtags, etc from viewing there tweets. Also bans on twitter need to be based on IP addresses so people cannot create sock-puppets.


The blocks you mentioned could be implemented but it would only serve to isolate people and accidentally block people.

IP Ban's do not work. They only stop DDOS/Spam attacks not individuals plus they accidentally block unintended victims since IP's are dynamic and change frequently. Every now and then most modems assign you a NEW ip address so you rotate out IP addresses. If you block an IP address on someone that knows nothing about computers it might block them for a month if they are with certain internet providers. Some providers use static IP addresses but that is becoming rarer. If they know much about computers they will know how to get a new IP address, heck I can get a new IP address with the click of a button.

If you are on a phone you can get a new IP address every time you connect to a different tower. If you are at a university you could possibly get the universities IP address blocked and stop thousands of people from accessing a program. I know I have been blocked from random websites when I was connecting through my university.


Fine I rescind my statements on the IP adress. Mae Culpa im admittedly not a genius of tech.

But ill once again state. I do not have a problem with people being accidentally blocked.
1353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

SЦP FДGGФT HФШ УФЦ GФИЙД ЬLФCК THIS


Thank you for making me giggle.
16789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:



If we should have something to block on the PC/phone. Then we should target the MAC number since it's unique to all devices. However someone can just buy a new phone or PC if they want to circumvent that... And yeah there are methods to hids/modify it, but it's not as simple as just use a VPN or proxy to hide


MAC is not transmitted when you browse websites. It transmits the user-agent (browser) but that isn't much use. If you install an app on a phone it can track personal identification info on it to use to block you. Also you can often change the MAC address that programs see but you can't change the burned-in MAC address.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

megahobbit wrote:
So your logic is just suck it up. Sorry dude thats kinda BS especially in the internet age.


Not really. My view is more like stand up or remove yourself from the situation. At least in real life you sometimes cannot remove yourself. On the internet there is no reason to take harassment, because you can always walk away.

I know some people are attached to accounts like crazy, but really either stand up, suck it up, or walk away.

Not that I have anything against blocking, etc. But it should be determined by the user, and not some program in the sky, watching and censoring everything we say. That's really what bugs me.

Also.... I SERIOUSLY believe that we should be teaching people how to deal with bullies. We no longer do that. We tell them to run to some authority... and this is the same. In the end, it makes us depend more and more on authorities to fix our lives so we don't have to. That's my opinion.


If you disagree, fine, but I stand by it.
41695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
People need to grow thicker skins. Obviously I can't excuse shit like suicide baiting, nor callout culture both of which are the most brutalized forms of online bullying and for a good reason, but as far as microaggressions go a lot of things need to not be dwelled upon or overblown because they're not actually representative of legitimate cases of online bullying, as far as I'm concerned.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:
Not really. My view is more like stand up or remove yourself from the situation. At least in real life you sometimes cannot remove yourself. On the internet there is no reason to take harassment, because you can always walk away.

I know some people are attached to accounts like crazy, but really either stand up, suck it up, or walk away.

Not that I have anything against blocking, etc. But it should be determined by the user, and not some program in the sky, watching and censoring everything we say. That's really what bugs me.

Also.... I SERIOUSLY believe that we should be teaching people how to deal with bullies. We no longer do that. We tell them to run to some authority... and this is the same. In the end, it makes us depend more and more on authorities to fix our lives so we don't have to. That's my opinion.


If you disagree, fine, but I stand by it.


You see I greatly disagree with you there. In the modern society social media accounts are very important for business and communication with others. Most people who are harassed through tend to be in some form or another social figures who need there account for networking.

Personally I dont mind some program blocking users. If you wanna use that program thats fine.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

megahobbit wrote:

Personally I dont mind some program blocking users. If you wanna use that program thats fine.


I could get behind an opt-in super blocker. But, at the end of the day, there are still some slippery shits that'll slip past.

I just don't want to watch what I say, everywhere I go, because some program is censoring me. If a user wants to block me, I'm not going to go out of my way to harass them, anyway.
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


lunarxx wrote:

This is the kind of thinking that is fallacious: Its not that someone can't take it so much as they don't wish to be annoyed by the inconvenience of swatting mosquitos. Its quite silly from my point of view tbh. If something offends someone, they shouldn't be forced to endure hazing to prove to others they're tough.


You don't have to endure hazing, you just have to deal with your bullies. Now, I agree that there are some issues online that are hard to deal with, but there are other ways to handle these issues.

My point is that create bubbles around ourselves, without learning to deal with bullying, is an issue.


Agreed so many people would rather live sheltered lives where nothing negative affects them and yet that is not the world we live in. They are denying reality and i've seen the effects living such a sheltered life can have on a person. As for the idea behind the program if one day they do develop something markable to the general public I see only parents buying them and no one else. People really need to develop thicker skin instead of just hiding from the world.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.