First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Automatic anti bully system
60151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

J-POP187 wrote:

I know it's a hackathon. I'm speaking in general terms, online bullying is at best an annoyance. No one is making a person stay on a website they get harassed on. Whatever happened to turning the screen off or going to another website. Even most websites allow users to delete their accounts and make new ones so I don't see what the problem is. Contact a mod or if someone threaten you harm contact the cops just don't come out with a blanket system that can't differentiate between humor and harassment.
Take this for an example if another user and I are playing a competitive game and I typed in I smoke you Will that be an bannable offense?
I'm looking at the content of what they want to make and from most users responses we are nowhere near close to developing such software. In the future maybe and I stand by that the consumer base will be mainly parents with kids.
To me the best system while not perfect is always going to be the option to report to mods.


Sorry, I wasn't targeting you. I was really just piggybacking on what you said about denying reality.

However, in response to what you just said about not being able to see the problem, I would like to point out that the video does mention something about Twitter's current system for reporting offensive or abusive content being difficult to use. If nothing else, Twitter can be your one counterexample to the notion that there exists no problem regarding existing technologies to deal with online bullying. I'm no expert on social media or online bullying, and I'm not involved in the project's discussions, so I can really only parrot what the video told me as far as examples are concerned.

As for what you said about the software that they want to make, I can only reiterate that I've seen nothing in the video to suggest they are trying to make a fully automated system to block offensive and abusive content. As far as I can tell, that whole notion was invented by TheOmegaForce in the first post of this topic and perpetuated by further discussion.

I fully support software development initiatives like this one. Technology is constantly changing, and the existence of a working system does not preclude the potential discovery of an even better system. Furthermore, emerging technologies may present the opportunity for different types of online harassment that need to be addressed in different ways. Also, in my experience as a software developer, there is always something more you can add to make your software better. Facilitating discussions and development is a great way to keep technology moving forward.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
As someone who often sarcastically states the complete opposite of what I think to extreme levels when I disagree with something, this is stupid.
15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

D4nc3Style wrote:

People need to stop being being offended by everything.


Finally someone else who gets this.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
Ah yes, social media. The best way to bring out trolls and pansies alike.
16735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

VZ68 wrote:

I miss the wild west days of the internet...



They are still here.... if you know what to do
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

Rujikin wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

I miss the wild west days of the internet...



They are still here.... if you know what to do


Yeah, it's just not the same though.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
Its only going to get worse from here...
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16

descloud wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:

People need to stop being being offended by everything.


Finally someone else who gets this.


It's completely dumb, and getting very old very fast.

15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/16 , edited 1/7/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


descloud wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:

People need to stop being being offended by everything.


Finally someone else who gets this.


It's completely dumb, and getting very old very fast.



Yes it is. This generation needs to grow tougher skin. Iv met many in my college who were discriminated against in ridiculous ways. One was told he can't play basketball at some court because he is "white". I remember him saying something along these lines too "you don't see me making a fuss over it and filing a lawsuit over a few words" It's people just being whiny these days. And that's grade A racism right there he put up with.
79213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
Sadly language police tend to cause more problems then they fix. To be honest I have never understood why "online bullying" is such a problem... maybe it is because my bullies came from before the internet. On any social medium you can block people from talking to you, online anwyay. Back when I was a kid, if I was stuck in the same class as my bully... well... yeah life sucked a bit. There is not much I or the teachers could do about it other than let me beat the kid up.

Personally I feel that any medium that is going to have anti-bullying software or something like that is going to die if it is strictly a forum. I know that if CR adopted such pointless software that i would leave the forums and return to being only a streamer. Broad censorship does nothing for society. Sure it is going to work when we pin it down to a word or two. However, I look at the 2000s release of Battle Star Galatcia for what will happen in society.

In that series, they just changed up vowels and certain words so the charters could swear. I mean really how dumb do you think society is when I say "Oh Frak You"? Truth is the only thing that will happen with anti-bullying software is the eventual decline of exchange of free ideas and interaction. Give the internet 20 years. 90% of the internet will be outlawed because computers are not smart enough to understand the complexities of human language.

Personally, from what I have seen, online bullying is pretty pointless. At least the people who bullied me for loving the Power Rangers had enough of a spine to do it to my face and in front of a teacher. Millennials and whatever we call the next generation need to learn how to ignore other people. Bullies are trolls they thrive on watching you be sad or miserable or try to prove them wrong. If you just let them say whatever eventually they will slip up and you can turn their own words against them. Then again there is something far easier to do.

It is called be fucking patient. The average human life is what 70 years or so? For the most part the real problematic bullies that we can do nothing about will exist for what at most 12 years of that life? I can take solace in knowing that I have bumped into a few of my old high school bullies. All they have is that small portion of their life called their childhood. Otherwise, they are human garbage. They sift through trash cans they are unemployed, but hey they were cool in high school and middle school right?

So take a hint from me, just ignore those kids. They thrive off your reactions and will leave you alone. Best part is that likely in 20 years you will be able to get back at them and they will be left with a choice, be unemployed or take your revenge.
2549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Turn off your computer guys.
Posted 1/8/16

VZ68 wrote:

I miss the wild west days of the internet...



I began using the internet in 2010 and I feel like I missed the golden age, whether it be those legendary usenet discussions or TF2 hamming it up with griefers.
20714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16
Automatic systems are a terrible idea.

Whilst bullys do deserve to be banned and most people need to stop being whiny bitches Automatic is not the way to go.

However saying online bullying doesn't exist and you can just block them does not solve the problem at all.
Most bullies will just create a new account etc to bully you.

I think bullying in real life and online should be classed as harrasement and taken seriously.

But there is a fine line between bullying and not being able to take shit.

As someone who has been bullied most of there life and doesn't take much shit as offensive i can tell you real bullying does exist online and offline.

Ignoring it does not put a stop to it alot of the time.

Bullying is a problem online and offline and should be dealt with however i feel this should be a manual process as doing so a automatically is a terrible idea.







It's just stupid so many people say "Grow a tougher skin" and just ignore real bulllying.
Sure most of the time people i agree do need to do that however it exists.

One guy on a site i use a pedophile and hacker known in the community since the mods / creators of the site went AWOL but continue to host it for us users goes around bullying people freezing there clients and just being a genuine nuisance.

It's easy to block them but they will come back around and make your life hell.

If you even stand up or tell them to fuck off you bet your ass they will make your life hell.

This guy has doxxed some people and just in general is a fking scumbag and exactly what i mean when i talk about a real online bully.

Annoying that everyone who is friends with him defends him because he is 16-17 so he can't be a pedofile but it's openly known and has been acknowledged that he has pictures that count as CP (the girl who he got it from who is using told me personally when i asked)


Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16
Funnily enough, comments are turned off.
2370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Remember the days when people said horrible shit to your face?

School was a good learning experience for that, and the internet became cake by comparison.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.