First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Mature content and why forumites fear an ignore button.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Clearly the OP has a bee in their bonnet about something... but what they are actually ranting about I have no idea.
6403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
I personally wouldn't mind having an ignore button, since certain posts seen can ruin one's enjoyment of a discussion. Not to mention it being much easier to ignore trolling/flaming type of posts. If it saves me from having to get annoyed/pissed off and inadvertently saves a mod some time having to come in to edit/delete posts then I'm onboard with it. Some want to wade through the muck? Okay, but not everyone does. Thus the middle ground is offering those that don't want to see it the ability to ignore for only themselves, while having no real impact on everyone else.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
It's basic that a forum has ignore.

It's also basic that the search works and stuff like that. I want and ignore so I can be ignored and become more powerful
22322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

lunarxx wrote:



One would think someone would turn off ignore if they wanted to learn new ideas, but think about it, they ignored them for a reason, they don't want to see them anymore. If someone came to my house and harrassed me I shouldn't allow it simply because I might learn something. Its the same principle. Might make a similar argument against birth control because I might enjoy having a baby despite my wishes.


Crunchyroll isn't your house or your womb. No one is knocking your your door trying to offer their ideas and (genetic)material. Posting ideas in a forum you don't agree with isn't harassment. It's a discussion in a medium you can filter with your view or choices of links. You're right there are already ways of ignoring. It doesn't need to be promoted though.


You know, if the forums fell apart like a house of cards because UNinterested people don't like YOU or YOUR opinions, we should by that logic reinstate the draft and not have an army of volunteers.


The armed forces aren't important for the debating of ideas. It's importance is enforcing and ending them. Perhaps you should make something out of congress.


Tbh have to say, this PJ is like some cult in here but they'res so full of s*** like BO she's established on CR everyone applauds + kisses their a**, so anything they say is backed by these sycophantic morons b/c of some pretentious air she is an intellectual but the maturity of a HS freshman . All it takes to do what she does it be PC about their trolling and pick the right targets and provide entertainment value by being an opportunistic douchebag. So by extention when ever someone quotes this person I assume they're a douchebag by association.


I happen to have ideas she thinks rather similarly on. She seems to be more active than I am. If I'm going through a thread and want to expand on an idea that I already wanted to share, then I prefer to credit an earlier post and add cohesion. And hey, It looks like you're already starting to filter your ideas.


But back on point, YOU WOULD THINK you'd want INTERESTED particicants, think of it THIS way, an ignore button would only serve to AID purifying debates, in effect bringing back the Extended Discussion everyone always talks about; it promotes dedication and committment to academia that people claim the merged forum lost.

Sometimes that interest comes from people who earnestly disagree (perhaps like yourself). An extended discussion forum would split the community and take focus away from both. If the topics you want to see are more interesting and popular you'll see them more anyway. It would also add needless etiquette to them IMO.
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16

PrinceJudar wrote:

I agree with netdisorder on this matter.


KarenAraragi wrote:

Except for the fact that some mods don't give a fuck. You could ask the person to agree to disagree and still send you 50 replies. Even if you won or was something minor. Picking fights with you over every little thing. This user only stop when Ask by the mod. Translation. The mod that actually give a fuck. This user also happens to pick fights with other users too. I want the block function. I hate it when I have to go to the reply area and see this asshole picking a fight with me.
Maybe to you the negativity will outweigh the positivity of it. But to me the good side is better than the negativity.


Pressing mute and block buttons for minor grievances isn't a good thing. Especially to avoid arguments, refutations, or disagreement. Despite how irrational or passively aggressive you may find it. The simple remedy is to stop replying--not put the shutter over your eyes. What you describe is exactly of the sort of breeding grounds that gave birth to Tumblr. It's created with initially good intention, but the customized individual experience often concludes in a rampart of radical echo chambers. Perhaps it's to the own individual's harm, one could argue, but the end result is a change in the community experience. It's not the kind of environment suited for a discussion board.



Yeah, I know but still want it no less.
I don't mind arguments. I mind assholes who insist in replying to you just for the sake of replying and adding nothing to the conversation.
Edit. There this user who shall remain nameless. He was so mad about me liking Attack On titan for it racist themes, he felt the need to use another account to let me know about it. After I block him in PM again. He was so mad he keep doing in the forums too. He Stop because Mods gave a fuck.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Yeah, I know but still want it no less.
I don't mind arguments. I mind assholes who insist in replying to you just for the sake of replying and adding nothing to the conversation.


Hi.


KarenAraragi wrote:

Edit. There this user who shall remain nameless. He was so mad about me liking Attack On titan for it racist themes, he felt the need to use another account to let me know about it. After I block him in PM again. He was so mad he keep doing in the forums too. He Stop because Mods gave a fuck.

Attack on titan is racist?
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / erhhhh
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Sounds like some real snoody stuff. Entirely unnecessary.
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:

Yeah, I know but still want it no less.
I don't mind arguments. I mind assholes who insist in replying to you just for the sake of replying and adding nothing to the conversation.


Hi.


KarenAraragi wrote:

Edit. There this user who shall remain nameless. He was so mad about me liking Attack On titan for it racist themes, he felt the need to use another account to let me know about it. After I block him in PM again. He was so mad he keep doing in the forums too. He Stop because Mods gave a fuck.

Attack on titan is racist?


It has racist themes. I read the manga. When season 2 come out. You will see what I mean. There also the fact that some of the characters are base around people who aren't exactly good human beings either. Then are suppose views from the creator who aren't the best shall we say.
Still I don't give a fuck. To me personally, I Don't care what the Author thinks or what his personal views are. To me, a good story is a good story. Also, in season one there hints about it. Is really important for the plot later on in the story.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

It has racist themes. I read the manga. When season 2 come out. You will see what I mean. There also the fact that some of the characters are base around people who aren't exactly good human beings either. Then are suppose views from the creator who aren't the best shall we say.
Still I don't give a fuck. To me personally, I Don't care what the Author thinks or what his personal views are. To me, a good story is a good story. Also, in season one there hints about it. Is really important for the plot later on in the story.


Ah, I see. Thanks.


To me, a good story is a good story.

I agree.
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16

Morbidhanson wrote:


lunarxx wrote:

It's not up to you, buddy. A person might wish to see other post than the offender they wish to ignore. No signs of weakness, a matter of preference. Nice try. It might be bad for your health if it causes you anxiety. Is it weak, yeah, but is that a bad thing? Need to get over your masculinity. Let gay people marry and let CR users ignore. Simple.


Weakness is not a good thing and encouraging it by disguising it as preference is even worse. And there was no mention of masculinity. Everyone needs to be able to have some self-control. It's not a male or female characteristic. It's a characteristic needed to function properly in the real world.

Did you really just compare gay marriage to ignoring forum posts? I'll try not to think about that part.


Ignoring gay rights is a serious issue.

Weakness is the human race. The defining difference is money and resources. There's not anything eloquently superior with a haughty, well-spoken man like you but a matter of time, luck, and motivation. Intelligence has little to do with education, and behaviour? You're not qualified to be my therapist. Forum assessments mean shit. I could be sharing this account for all you know so whatever assessments need to have composite vectors. But seriously, sir, I've worked my ass off for nothing in ways you'll never know and watch my sister's children longer than she's known them so don't talk to me about self-control. What I do is ask questions, and I'm not afraid to. I don't have to like blowback. I expect it but I don't have to accept it.
Not my fault if you can't understand.
Posted 1/8/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:

Clearly the OP has a bee in their bonnet about something... but what they are actually ranting about I have no idea.


Because censorship is a safety concern adults as well for children due to health concerns with are highly subjective to different individuals, we don't have the right to deny the rights of others, esp when its done out of spite for me personally because its my idea.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

lunarxx wrote:

we don't have the right to deny the rights of others

Great, glad you agree.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16

lunarxx wrote:

Ignoring gay rights is a serious issue.

Weakness is the human race. The defining difference is money and resources. There's not anything eloquently superior with a haughty, well-spoken man like you but a matter of time, luck, and motivation. Intelligence has little to do with education, and behaviour? You're not qualified to be my therapist. Forum assessments mean shit. I could be sharing this account for all you know so whatever assessments need to have composite vectors. But seriously, sir, I've worked my ass off for nothing in ways you'll never know and watch my sister's children longer than she's known them so don't talk to me about self-control. What I do is ask questions, and I'm not afraid to. I don't have to like blowback. I expect it but I don't have to accept it.
Not my fault if you can't understand.


Weakness is natural but still not to be encouraged. One does not point out a problem and attribute it to nature and ignore it as though that will solve everything. Natural stuff isn't necessarily beneficial.

I'm not trying to be a therapist. I'm pointing out that all you need to do is literally not read something instead of turning it into a grand issue about rights. A post on a forum is a bunch of words on a screen that people can elect not to read, yet they don't, so it doesn't follow that coming up with meaningless mechanisms to block oneself from reading something will help if they still want to read in the first place. Those kinds of people will still go ahead and read so it won't matter if you have an ignore function and several other ways for a person to block himself/herself from reading. They won't have the intended effect since they won't really be used. There will just be more finger pointing when the finger should be pointed at the self.

It all boils down to whether a person decides it's worthwhile to read and reply. An ignore function is redundant; people already have one.

I'm not bringing in my life story and didn't ask for yours but, you're right, this is just a forum assessment, just as your own posts are mere forum assessments. If you've been through so much, ignoring a post should be cake in comparison. There is really no need to be so angry about something you don't care about, haha.

We're talking about the usefulness of an ignore function on a forum. All I'm hearing from you is basically that we need to implement this sort of stuff "just in case" someone can't help themselves. Sounds a lot like trigger warnings, which I also deem useless for accomplishing what they are supposed to. "Just in case" is as good a reason as "because I think it will help." There's more depth to it than that, otherwise it's cardboard.
Posted 1/8/16

Morbidhanson wrote:


lunarxx wrote:

Ignoring gay rights is a serious issue.

Weakness is the human race. The defining difference is money and resources. There's not anything eloquently superior with a haughty, well-spoken man like you but a matter of time, luck, and motivation. Intelligence has little to do with education, and behaviour? You're not qualified to be my therapist. Forum assessments mean shit. I could be sharing this account for all you know so whatever assessments need to have composite vectors. But seriously, sir, I've worked my ass off for nothing in ways you'll never know and watch my sister's children longer than she's known them so don't talk to me about self-control. What I do is ask questions, and I'm not afraid to. I don't have to like blowback. I expect it but I don't have to accept it.
Not my fault if you can't understand.


Weakness is natural but still not to be encouraged. One does not point out a problem and attribute it to nature and ignore it as though that will solve everything. Natural stuff isn't necessarily beneficial.

I'm not trying to be a therapist. I'm pointing out that all you need to do is literally not read something instead of turning it into a grand issue about rights. A post on a forum is a bunch of words on a screen that people can elect not to read, yet they don't, so it doesn't follow that coming up with meaningless mechanisms to block oneself from reading something will help if they still want to read in the first place. Those kinds of people will still go ahead and read so it won't matter if you have an ignore function and several other ways for a person to block himself/herself from reading. They won't have the intended effect since they won't really be used . There will just be more finger pointing when the finger should be pointed at the self.

It all boils down to whether a person decides it's worthwhile to read and reply. An ignore function is redundant; people already have one.

I'm not bringing in my life story and didn't ask for yours but, you're right, this is just a forum assessment, just as your own posts are mere forum assessments. If you've been through so much, ignoring a post should be cake in comparison. There is really no need to be so angry about something you don't care about, haha.

We're talking about the usefulness of an ignore function on a forum. All I'm hearing from you is basically that we need to implement this sort of stuff "just in case" someone can't help themselves. Sounds a lot like trigger warnings, which I also deem useless for accomplishing what they are supposed to. "Just in case" is as good a reason as "because I think it will help." There's more depth to it than that, otherwise it's cardboard.



You're so cynical, I was telling the truth, hardship hasn't hardened me. And I disagree.t is about rights. If you would stop preaching about responsibility you might see that. I'm under a lot of stress, I'm not "hiding behind" rights, I actually am a believer in that its a slippery slope to deny rights leading to worse things. You got me pagged for a hypocrite and I wont try to persuade you due to the nature of your bias as well as others forum's. I don't know what you hope to achieve by trying to frame me as such but I won't let you drag me down by further distorting my words and putting your own spin on it for an agenda.

Its not in case someone cant help themselves, they have a right to use it and you can't deny. From a certain POV you are whining I can block you.

Look at the highlight in red, please. Tell me how you read the future, psychic sjw. In the meantime keep trying to expose me in your righteous crusade for the fraudulent quack I really am.
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
I'm afraid the matter is just a very trivial case of moving on, either being the bigger person and not reply in order to have the last word against one who's '' harassing '' you or having a '' different opinion '' than you, really.

Be like me; read but don't write a reply.

What's the point of arguing against an opinion that's horizonally against your own if you're not willing to broaden your horizon anyways?

Just because someone is against your PoV doesn't mean you should risk an aneurysm confronting the person in question, right?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.