First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you need tofu to be a vegan or vegetarian
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Yes or no? either way, just explain.
Posted 1/8/16
No, there other sources of protein from whey protein, eggs, cheese, and yogurt if your vegetarian. If your vegan there are nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, and various protein powders made from vegan things.
48449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Nope
Posted 1/8/16
I'm vegan and I actually can't eat tofu because I'm allergic. I've found ways to work around it.
One Punch Mod
85881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Can do without tofu, especially if you make a lot of your own food and aren't relying on restaurant vegan options. Another protein option I didn't see mentioned is seitan.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/8/16
Nah, tofu just has protein that can help balance your diet. You could eat almonds and get similar health benefits I think. There's also supplements you could take if you need more protein.
Posted 1/8/16
Nope
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 1/8/16

ISeaDreamer wrote:

I'm vegan and I actually can't eat tofu because I'm allergic. I've found ways to work around it.


That's what I like to do too and I'm not a huge fan of tofu, either. Have you cooked any broccoli recently? I love that vegetable.
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16
No but I love tofu noodles.
It's like ramen except not bad for you and cheap I imagine these and ramen will be my lifeline when I go back to college later this year.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/8/16 , edited 1/8/16
Nah, it's just one of the more easily accessible sources of protein for a vegan. Don't know about you but choking back supplements or a metric ton of nuts holds little appeal. Tofu done right is delicious.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/9/16
Of course not.
10613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 1/9/16
no, but tofu is delicious :p
would recommend trying unless you're allergic to soy
Posted 1/9/16

Sephigi wrote:


ISeaDreamer wrote:

I'm vegan and I actually can't eat tofu because I'm allergic. I've found ways to work around it.


That's what I like to do too and I'm not a huge fan of tofu, either. Have you cooked any broccoli recently? I love that vegetable.


Not recently but I do really like eating it with different things. Lately I've been a big fan of noodle makers.
3493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Near a peach tree.
Offline
Posted 1/9/16

ISeaDreamer wrote:


Sephigi wrote:


ISeaDreamer wrote:

I'm vegan and I actually can't eat tofu because I'm allergic. I've found ways to work around it.


That's what I like to do too and I'm not a huge fan of tofu, either. Have you cooked any broccoli recently? I love that vegetable.


Not recently but I do really like eating it with different things. Lately I've been a big fan of noodle makers.


I get where you're going and I read that some farmers grew vegetables with compost from a latrine and scientists found out that their veggies had a lot of vitamin B12.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/9/16

Sephigi wrote:

I get where you're going and I read that some farmers grew vegetables with compost from a latrine and scientists found out that their veggies had a lot of vitamin B12.


It's probably still better to take supplements/fortified food for B12 if you're a vegan. Though if that is true, then that could be a nice advancement in the food industry. I'm skeptical though. People have claimed there's B12 in non-animal products before, only to have it turn out to not be the case. Other than mushrooms in very small amounts.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.