First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do some smart people fail to figure their way out of religion?
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16

Ejanss wrote:Just for a laugh, why don't you tell us how "smart" you are about religious concepts--
I've already got five of the fundamental mistakes you're about to make inside a sealed envelope, let's see how many of them I got right.
(Might want to look up that other saying about "The man who doesn't know, and thinks he knows, is a fool...")



XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

There's nothing wrong with devotion unless you

Let the corrupted religious officials control you.
Use your holy book as a shield.


(...Shh, SHH, let him do it and make his own mistakes in public!
I've already got "All world religions are the Vatican, and therefore a corrupt world-dominating buncha pedophiles", and "Everybody in the entire world believes the Bible word-literally, including the goofy/violent Old Testament stuff", you don't want to give away the rest of the list before he even gets a chance!
Aw, heck, let's make it ten mistakes, since Ms. Blabbermouth gave away the first two.)
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

Ejanss wrote:


Ejanss wrote:Just for a laugh, why don't you tell us how "smart" you are about religious concepts--
I've already got five of the fundamental mistakes you're about to make inside a sealed envelope, let's see how many of them I got right.
(Might want to look up that other saying about "The man who doesn't know, and thinks he knows, is a fool...")



XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

There's nothing wrong with devotion unless you

Let the corrupted religious officials control you.
Use your holy book as a shield.


(...Shh, SHH, let him do it and make his own mistakes in public!
I've already got "All world religions are the Vatican, and therefore a corrupt world-dominating buncha pedophiles", and "Everybody in the entire world believes the Bible word-literally, including the goofy/violent Old Testament stuff", you don't want to give away the rest of the list before he even gets a chance!
Aw, heck, let's make it ten mistakes, since Ms. Blabbermouth gave away the first two.)

What
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


Ejanss wrote:Just for a laugh, why don't you tell us how "smart" you are about religious concepts--
I've already got five of the fundamental mistakes you're about to make inside a sealed envelope, let's see how many of them I got right.
(Might want to look up that other saying about "The man who doesn't know, and thinks he knows, is a fool...")



XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

There's nothing wrong with devotion unless you

Let the corrupted religious officials control you.
Use your holy book as a shield.


(...Shh, SHH, let him do it and make his own mistakes in public!
I've already got "All world religions are the Vatican, and therefore a corrupt world-dominating buncha pedophiles", and "Everybody in the entire world believes the Bible word-literally, including the goofy/violent Old Testament stuff", you don't want to give away the rest of the list before he even gets a chance!
Aw, heck, let's make it ten mistakes, since Ms. Blabbermouth gave away the first two.)

What


Okay, "Mr.", that darn avatar fooled me.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

Ejanss wrote:



Okay, "Mr.", that darn avatar fooled me.

I meant that I'm not sure I follow what you wrote.
16390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Arizona, US
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16
It's not something a non-religious person would understand. Religion isn't because of " the fear of the unknown". It's a way of life and doesn't make any one person special or perfect. Being a non-religious or a religious person doesn't determine your intelligence.
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:



Okay, "Mr.", that darn avatar fooled me.

I meant that I'm not sure I follow what you wrote.


I mean that atheists/bashers have made the EXACT SAME MISTAKES for at least the last 150 years since Mark Twain, and when I say "Mistake", I'm using the definition of "Goofy stuff you get wrong, because you were so personally on a roll you didn't check your facts, and let bias take over."

I guess the reason we haven't "given up on religion" is because we don't get so full of ourselves that we goof up stupid factual mistakes, and then pat ourselves on the back for thinking we're the first person on the planet who ever did.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/10/16
You know I just had a convo with my dad about how Im an athiest and topics like this still make me wanna vomit. Why do you have to shit on people for being religious. Who cares at this point.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

Ejanss wrote:



And that has what to do with my OP?
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:



And that has what to do with my OP?


Well, it sounded like you were going to fall back on the same cliche's too, so just wanted to make the point about how goofy, intolerant, biased and underinformed they sounded in public, like the OP's first post.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16

Ejanss wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:



And that has what to do with my OP?


Well, it sounded like you were going into the same cliche's too, so just wanted to make the point about how goofy, intolerant and biased they sounded in public, like the OP's first post.



There's nothing wrong with devotion unless you

There's nothing wrong with devotion

nothing wrong with devotion


Pls reed
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16
Because some people have grown up with it and it's ingrained in them


I still celebrate some traditional Chinese practices, but I know for sure that no higher being of the sort exists. Knowing that I still do it regardless.
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

TheCrushmaster wrote:

My reason for believing in God has nothing to do with "just in case." I believe in God because, without Him, nothing can exist. No logical claims can be made, for you have no source for them. Is truth always consistent? If so, what's keeping it consistent? If not, then that is a universally consistent truth; so, yes, some truth is consistent.

Without a source for truth, you are left with nothing. And that's the proof that God exists - without Him, you couldn't prove anything.

Relevant, with the same line of thought: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

Specificity aside, the heart of your question is a valid one that perplexes me. One answer is that there is not merely one type of intelligence - it's quite the spectrum.


I legitimately do not understand this post. It feels like there are way too many assumptions in the post that really cannot be assumed.

So, explain it like I'm 5.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16
A lot of science is faith based too because of how often most people get their information first or even second hand.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/12/16
The answer varies but I will point out that if I were to rely purely on my logic completely out of the context of religion there is nothing stopping me from being something terrifying. Keep in mind that not all are forced into religion by various means but rather form their own beliefs upon choice and even instinct.
6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

JustineKo2 wrote:

I think I am smart, but I know there are a lot of people smarter than me (smart as in intelligent).
Yet some of those smarter people still buy into this concept of religion, or practice a religion.
I'm not saying religious people are dumb so perhaps it is just fear of the unknown and unseeable that makes people think, 'OK, I'll believe, just in case."
But that's dumb. There's lots of evidence that shows religion grew out of people's ignorance and the attitude of what's the harm in believing in God? Well what's the harm in not believing?


actually you pretty much are saying those who follow a religion are stupid. Logic dictates that something created the universe and everything in it, you can't create something from nothing, and the concept of faith is not very hard to grasp, you practice it every time you get out of bed or leave your house.

If you wish to think that all you can see and prove in all that there is, that is your choice but I find it rather silly to consider that, that is all there is to life and the world. It also mind of makes you a hypocrite in many ways, if you believe in nothing. If you consider love for example to just be a chemical reaction than if you say that you love someone those words don't really mean anything at all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.