First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Too old for high school?
Posted 1/10/16

VZ68 wrote:

Is this a new thing? Allowing kids at 20+ to still be in High School?


Over here in my part of the US, you can stay in high school until you're 21. I remember a few upperclassmen being 20 by the time they graduated.
Posted 1/10/16

kinga750 wrote:

In my state you can not attend regular highschool after age 19. It used to be 21 but they changed it a few years ago. There is an adult highschool program, and of course the GED for older students.


It's very similar in my State, here.
7090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In Your Closet
Offline
Posted 1/10/16
Over where I live you can be in high school until the age of 21, at least that what I heard, but that was several years ago so I'm not sure if they change the rules
Posted 1/10/16
I have a 'friend' that has failed HS around 4 times now, he's also 20 years old. Idk why he's even bothering with it still
If I was in his shoes I would just get my GED instead
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

Yuki_Narukami wrote:

I have a 'friend' that has failed HS around 4 times now, he's also 20 years old. Idk why he's even bothering with it still
If I was in his shoes I would just get my GED instead


The answer was already posted on the first page.
12089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / CT
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16
I've seen a bunch of 20 year olds in my highschool. I'm assuming that they dont have enough credits so they choose to stay in high school. I've seen this kid who was 20 years old dating freshmans..
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 1/10/16
Other than a victory lap, I'm not sure how long you can stick around where I am.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 1/10/16
21 is the max in my area. Honestly id prefer if 18 was the max. I really dont want younger teens around grown ass adults. And if I were to still pursue teaching, id make sure if there were any 18 year old students flirting with underclassmen id report them straight to the police.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/10/16

dragontackle wrote:

21 is the max in my area. Honestly id prefer if 18 was the max. I really dont want younger teens around grown ass adults. And if I were to still pursue teaching, id make sure if there were any 18 year old students flirting with underclassmen id report them straight to the police.


I don't like the concept of statutory rape as much as the next guy but damn really, a four year age difference at most is a bit much to be reporting anyone for, especially to the police.

And 18 is a weird age to be considered an adult in my opinion. I mean you can die for your country but not buy a drink, or take out a lease on a house, can't go to a strip bar nor enter a casino. I mean is 18 really the age where adulthood begins or is it 21 where all the above is actually legal to do.

Though I did graduate from high school at 18 so I can't see if a brain dead solider like me can manage it why others can't.
5638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / シャドーモセス島
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16
When I was a Freshman in HS my sister was a Senior and through that I ended up meeting and knowing some of her friends. One of which I guess didn't graduate. He ended up showing up at my own graduation and graduated with us. I suppose we have a sort of outside program because I don't remember seeing him throughout my years there. I remember recognizing him back-stage and being happy for him.

In other words, I don't see a problem with being 20 or 21 and finishing HS. You know... as long as you aren't chasing underage tail.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 1/10/16 , edited 1/10/16

Ranwolf wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

21 is the max in my area. Honestly id prefer if 18 was the max. I really dont want younger teens around grown ass adults. And if I were to still pursue teaching, id make sure if there were any 18 year old students flirting with underclassmen id report them straight to the police.


I don't like the concept of statutory rape as much as the next guy but damn really, a four year age difference at most is a bit much to be reporting anyone for, especially to the police.

And 18 is a weird age to be considered an adult in my opinion. I mean you can die for your country but not buy a drink, or take out a lease on a house, can't go to a strip bar nor enter a casino. I mean is 18 really the age where adulthood begins or is it 21 where all the above is actually legal to do.

Though I did graduate from high school at 18 so I can't see if a brain dead solider like me can manage it why others can't.


Yeah, I might be going overboard. But back when I was in my Freshman Year of High School one of the chicks I had a crush on got knocked up by a 19 year old dude and abandoned because he was a deadbeat bitch, and that still pisses me off to this day. Which is why I feel so strongly about seniors who are overage dating Freshman and Sophmores.
27147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/11/16
The school i went to if you turned i believe it was 21 and still in high school you were kicked out cause ur too old.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/11/16

dragontackle wrote:

21 is the max in my area. Honestly id prefer if 18 was the max.


18 would be going too far.

Quite a few people turn 19 before graduating.

18906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/11/16 , edited 1/11/16
Generally speaking, most of the high school kids now either drop out or graduate by 18/19 (depending on when their birthday falls during the school year). There may be a few stragglers for various reasons such as special education or moving to the USA from another country. Different states allow dropping out with parental approval starting at about age 14 although every state is different about what age this can occur. Most people whose parents won't let them drop out end up sticking around till 18 when they pass the age of majority and become adults when they can drop out and their parents can't do anything about it.

When I was in school you had a LOT more older students because holding people back a grade if they weren't doing well academically or if they had behavior problems was much more common. I remember 8th graders who were older than the teacher who was a new college graduate. Of course, kids getting to skip ahead if they were academically accomplished was also more common. Somewhere along the way the school administrators decided it was better to keep kids with their own age groups regardless of their academic skills so you rarely see people being held back or skipping grades anymore.
Posted 1/11/16
An 18 year old could fail senior year for a couple of years and graduate as a 20 year old.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.