First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
How do you feel about Funimation currently airing dubs or not?
12297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I'm willing to watch a show if it's dubbed already and I haven't seen it. So far I've been really loving their dub of Assassination Classroom, and I've never seen the sub so it's been a blast.

I really like having the option of Dub or Sub now, since I used to have to wait for the BD/DVD release to even get a chance to hear the dub, and that's usually after I've already lost interest in a show. So it's really convenient for dub fans, and a really great way to get more people who prefer dubs "in the now" and current with the new seasons in Japan.

Some of their casting is a bit off, I admit, but it's really rare. I just wish they'd follow Sentai Filmworks with acquiring new talent since they're getting so many new shows.
Koda89 
34935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 1/12/16

Kreyola wrote:

I'm willing to watch a show if it's dubbed already and I haven't seen it. So far I've been really loving their dub of Assassination Classroom, and I've never seen the sub so it's been a blast.

I really like having the option of Dub or Sub now, since I used to have to wait for the BD/DVD release to even get a chance to hear the dub, and that's usually after I've already lost interest in a show. So it's really convenient for dub fans, and a really great way to get more people who prefer dubs "in the now" and current with the new seasons in Japan.

Some of their casting is a bit off, I admit, but it's really rare. I just wish they'd follow Sentai Filmworks with acquiring new talent since they're getting so many new shows.


Well they have been rolling in some of their new talent with their broadcast dubs. Some of them have an entire cast of voice actors I never heard of before.

Posted 1/12/16

Koda89 wrote:


Kreyola wrote:

I'm willing to watch a show if it's dubbed already and I haven't seen it. So far I've been really loving their dub of Assassination Classroom, and I've never seen the sub so it's been a blast.

I really like having the option of Dub or Sub now, since I used to have to wait for the BD/DVD release to even get a chance to hear the dub, and that's usually after I've already lost interest in a show. So it's really convenient for dub fans, and a really great way to get more people who prefer dubs "in the now" and current with the new seasons in Japan.

Some of their casting is a bit off, I admit, but it's really rare. I just wish they'd follow Sentai Filmworks with acquiring new talent since they're getting so many new shows.


Well they have been rolling in some of their new talent with their broadcast dubs. Some of them have an entire cast of voice actors I never heard of before.



What shows are those?
Koda89 
34935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 1/12/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


Koda89 wrote:


Kreyola wrote:

I'm willing to watch a show if it's dubbed already and I haven't seen it. So far I've been really loving their dub of Assassination Classroom, and I've never seen the sub so it's been a blast.

I really like having the option of Dub or Sub now, since I used to have to wait for the BD/DVD release to even get a chance to hear the dub, and that's usually after I've already lost interest in a show. So it's really convenient for dub fans, and a really great way to get more people who prefer dubs "in the now" and current with the new seasons in Japan.

Some of their casting is a bit off, I admit, but it's really rare. I just wish they'd follow Sentai Filmworks with acquiring new talent since they're getting so many new shows.


Well they have been rolling in some of their new talent with their broadcast dubs. Some of them have an entire cast of voice actors I never heard of before.



What shows are those?


You want me to go digging through the archives of FUNi's news blog?

I don't watch many of their broadcast dubs so I don't remember them off the top of my head, I just remember reading through their cast lists and going, "I don't know who any of these people are...."
43351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I tend to stay with subs unless it's an action heavy series. As long as the dub is half decent I'll watch just because it frees me up to focus more on the action rather than try to split my attention between reading the subs and keeping up with what's going on on the screen.

I find Funi does it right much more often than they do it wrong. My sole consistent complaint is when they dub they'll redo the sound, turning down the voices and overdoing the background and music. I really prefer how the Japanese do sound with everything equal. I hate when you have to crank it up to hear what's being said then get blown out of your seat when some explosion or music hits.
44228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / East Coast
Online
Posted 1/12/16


WINTER 2016 DUBS SHOWS I WiLL WATCH

Assassination Classroom 2 FUNI SUB / DUB
Dagashi Kashi FUNI SUB / DUB
Dimension W FUNI SUB / DUB
Divine Gate / Fairy Tale Crossover FUNI SUB / DUB
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash FUNI SUB / DUB
Pandora in the Crimson Shell FUNI SUB / DUB
Prince of Stride FUNI SUB / DUB
Snow White with the Red Hair S 1 / 2 FUNI SUB / DUB

Non-Winter DUBS NEW

NO-RIN FUNI Late Feb
Snow White with the Red Hair! S1 FUNI Will Watch Soon
Terror in Resonance FUNI Will Watch Soon

ONGOING FALL 2015 DUBS

Funimation Fall Broadcast Dub

Attack On Titan JR HIGH
Heavy Object
Norgami Aragarto
Seraph of The END
Shomin Sample
65202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I've checked a bunch of the broadcast dubs and I've liked the majority of them. I'm more inclined to rewatch a series dubbed than start and finish a show dubbed over the sub, there's special cases to this though (Baccano and Blood Blockade Battlefront).

I'd say Funi is doing a fine job thus far. Voice actors are a bit more limited in numbers over here but I think with programs like the broadcast dubs will encourage more people to join in and make it bigger.
22478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
The dub's are often of high quality, and provide their own...feel.



Grimgar of Fantash and Ash....such a horrible horrible execution, outside of the obvious nerd playing the Dark Knight kid, the voice actors are lazy stereotypes. So the English Dub should fix a lot of the problems I have with it's execution.
Won't make the show great, but it'll bring out the better aspects of it.


and....a lot of shows are like that. Blood Blockade Battlefront has an amazing dub.
5035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
When i am watching something with english dubs, it feels like i am watching kids show.
It's annoying when dupped versions uses same voice actors
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/12/16
I usually compare and watch what is better. for example Rurouni Kenshin dub is pretty bad once you hear the Japanese version.
Then there is the english version of Outlaw Star and .Hack which I love.
There are other dubs that are amazing more so than the original japanese but they weren't done by Funimation.
Funimation is hit and miss on their dubs but they hit more than they miss.
10720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 1/12/16
Them having dubs for so many series is good for those who like dubs. I, however, am not someone who could ever see myself choosing a dub over a sub so it really doesn't personally impact me either way.
66184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I like it.

I watch both DUBs and SUBs, and I just use what I feel like at the time of the series.
Posted 1/12/16
I love Funimation.
Always have. Always will.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/16

vempula wrote:
When i am watching something with english dubs, it feels like i am watching kids show.

It's the same for me. Western animation is mostly for children, anime is dubbed because it's treated as children's entertainment, and I grew up watching Cartoon Network (via satellite) for some years. This has created an association between English voice acting and childishness (in animation). I bet many people have formed this association too, but just don't realize it.

People talk a lot about the quality of dubs vs. subs, but it's rare for anyone to bring up artistic intent. That is, the fact that the work was scripted in Japanese for Japanese voice actors selected and directed by the original production team. This doesn't seem to matter at all to many people, and they treat voice acting as just a means of delivering the script to the audience. Maybe this is also the legacy of Western animation. Voice acting is not taken seriously, and by extension neither is the rest of the work.
Sailor Candy Moderator
215732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 9/15/16
Op Nuked. locked.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.