First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Should schools require uniforms? How strict should enforcement be?
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I'm all in favor of creative dress outside of school or work. There is a proper time an place for everything.

Hell, I offered to dye my younger daughter's hair blue last summer. She lost interest after I agreed help
I wanted the blackmail photo's for when she's older.
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/12/16

Dariamus wrote:

I'm all in favor of creative dress outside of school or work. There is a proper time an place for everything.

Hell, I offered to dye my younger daughter's hair blue last summer. She lost interest after I agreed help
I wanted the blackmail photo's for when she's older.


Who the heck wouldn't be? If we're arguing in that scenario, than of course 99.99% of people would agree with you. There's no debate there, unless someone seriously believe in North Korea level authoritarianism.
926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / Murica
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
No. Coming from someone who has to wear uniforms in school, a dress code is perfectly fine. The whole "bUT KIDS GET MADE FUN FO WRING CHEAP CLOTHES 11!!" is bullcrap. At least in my school. We all get along and most people are mature enough not to bully people.

The whole "all kids look the same in uniforms so no one gets hurt" is also bullcrap. A lot of people I know, including me, look like crap in uniforms.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/12/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Dariamus wrote:

I'm all in favor of creative dress outside of school or work. There is a proper time an place for everything.

Hell, I offered to dye my younger daughter's hair blue last summer. She lost interest after I agreed help
I wanted the blackmail photo's for when she's older.


Who the heck wouldn't be? If we're arguing in that scenario, than of course 99.99% of people would agree with you. There's no debate there, unless someone seriously believe in Hitler level authoritarianism.


I think what he is saying is that the time and place for casual and expressive dress is NOT in school or work.


QuietlyLoud wrote:

No. Coming from someone who has to wear uniforms in school, a dress code is perfectly fine. The whole "bUT KIDS GET MADE FUN FO WRING CHEAP CLOTHES 11!!" is bullcrap. At least in my school. We all get along and most people are mature enough not to bully people.

The whole "all kids look the same in uniforms so no one gets hurt" is also bullcrap. A lot of people I know, including me, look like crap in uniforms.


I've seen kids get made fun of for wearing dirty or ripped clothing. And at least one instance where a boy was laughed at for wearing pink. It's not bully-level behavior but it leads me to believe that it's certainly possible. Obviously, it's no guarantee unless the outfit is outrageous, but it's a possibility. People will pick at differences in appearance, as we've seen time and time again.
Posted 1/12/16

Morbidhanson wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Dariamus wrote:

I'm all in favor of creative dress outside of school or work. There is a proper time an place for everything.

Hell, I offered to dye my younger daughter's hair blue last summer. She lost interest after I agreed help
I wanted the blackmail photo's for when she's older.


Who the heck wouldn't be? If we're arguing in that scenario, than of course 99.99% of people would agree with you. There's no debate there, unless someone seriously believe in Hitler level authoritarianism.


I think what he is saying is that the time and place for casual and expressive dress is NOT in school or work.


Oh, I see.
Posted 1/12/16
HECK NO
23413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Always my room
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I am not for or against school uniforms. I understand why people like them thats fine BUT I wear a uniform and we can only wear school approved jackets from our school's list of uniform jackets and none of them are warm. I say if you are going to make us wear a uniform all through our school career just make them comfortable and make the outwear warm enough for the winter.
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / Hicksville Ohio(n...
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
require everyone to wear business casual would be fine with me.
1717 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
In elementary school, I never had even a dress code. In grades 5-7, I had a very lenient dress code. When I moved, I had a stricter dress code in 8th grade. When I reached high school, I started attending a military prep school. Everybody looks the same, pretty much. Even so, I know there are bullies--my brother switched back to public school because of them.
I personally don't mind the military uniforms. I don't have to worry about what to wear each day, plus I can show off my academic prowess with the awards I wear.

I have had experience with no dress code, a lenient one, a strict one, and a full-blown uniform. I have been fine with each of these and believe that it does not matter if there is a uniform (in general). I do believe certain areas need something to prevent students from dressing like sluts and gangsters, but other than that, it should be fine.
4573 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Online
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/12/16
I would have been fine wearing a uniform in school but mainly because the girls would be wearing uniforms and yeah, mmm.
15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
I'm not sure school uniforms are truly needed. I can understand the positives behind it. But if it's a public school especially in the united states.....yea. It won't work out well due to especially cultural differences that require certain clothing to be worn.
12089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / CT
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
yES, If you see what the kids in my school wear. Extremely inappropriate for school.
Posted 1/12/16
I wore a school uniform in my 4 years of high school
To be honest, I liked it because it saved me a lot of time to get ready
Also, I felt like I belonged to something, which I felt was kind of cool lol
15074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/12/16
No. I like seeing how people express themselves through their clothing choice. You see a person wearing a band t-shirt that you like? Great, it's a way to break the ice and make a new friend! First impressions are everything, and having the freedom to wear what you want in school helps determine who to try and become friends with.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/16 , edited 1/15/16
I should flesh out my own answer, huh.

1. Yes. I think uniforms should be required from K to 12. This goes beyond the level of "dress code" for me. The purpose of uniforms is to get younglings used to having a school and workplace attitude. When everyone is wearing the same thing and doing the same thing, it's easier to focus on the task at hand rather than individual differences. To me, school needs to be treated very seriously. It is like a workplace or a martial arts dojo or a military training camp. The mindset should be the same in all three.

You're not there to make friends. You're not there to look pretty. You're not there to worry about things other than your schoolwork. Rules should be in place to make school seem like a serious affair because it is. Once you develop the discipline to take school seriously, you're prepared to do things yourself without being badgered to, so you can have more freedom in college. You're an adult at that point, so you should make your own decisions. Before then? Follow the rules and tough out the discipline. You will probably make friends at school, but that's not your goal there. And you're free to play with them when you're not in the classroom.

You have time to express yourself out of school (and outside of work). You have the weekends and you have summer and you have time after class. School isn't even an entire day, it's just about 8 hours, which coincides with the standard length of time you spend on a shift at work. If you can't even manage to set aside your desire to be different for 8 hours, that's not a good sign. This might seem overly tough, but it's pretty much how a lot of workplaces are. Kids have more time off than most adults, anyway, so this isn't deprivation.

Uniforms, provided that the school board is sane, should be dictated by the weather and classroom conditions. Jackets and coats ought to be allowed, but rules should govern what types can be worn at school. Accessories might be okay, but nothing overboard. Simple necklaces and watches and bracelets, okay. No giant chains and ponderous medallions and 1-inch gauges. Shoes should be more flexible. I don't expect kids to change into multiple pairs of shoes every day, and shoes are expensive. They should wear something suitable for exercise for when they do PE, and may bring another pair to put in the locker for non-PE times.


2. For rules to work, they need teeth. Straying from the code needs to be punished consistently. I'm a fan of a three-strikes rule. After three violations, the parents/guardians should be notified and they should have to meet with the teacher/principal before their child is allowed back to school. Obviously, instructors ought to have discretion and not make a huge deal over something like an inch of fabric, but some warnings should be given in that case. 3 warnings seem okay before 1 writeup. 3 writeups = 1 meeting. The slate should be cleared periodically, perhaps after every quarter or semester. And after every parent meeting.

If a violation can be fixed on the spot, the teacher should just tell the student to fix it. Like remove the offending accessory or tuck in their shirt.

Or another approach might work. Added homework always seems to be a scary thing. Nothing big enough to be unmanageable, but it needs to be enough to be annoying.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.