First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply So this thing with Nintendo...
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/16
What is it with Nintendo that when They make stuff that people don't agree with, then later people love it but then when they do stuff people want almost everyone hates it, Like Metroid Other M is probably a product of "We want Nintendo to be more serious and adult and voice acting" and then everyone makes fun of it but it looks like it was trying to do what people want.

An then like Mario Sunshine came out way back when, I remember people saying "This is stupid, he squirts water!" but years later its like, almost everyone's favorite 3D Mario game or at least I see alot of speed runs of it, even on twitch.

Theres probably other examples as well but is this a thing happening? Does anyone notice this?

Posted 1/14/16
Yeah I've noticed it. Nintendo rarely does what the fans want, because when they do, the fans complain. Simple as that.
77402 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/16
Bitching and whining is the nature of internet forums.

Or you could just say that those who enjoy the games (or whatever form of entertainment) are to busy playing them whereas those who don't seem to have nothing better to do than just post on forums how much they hate the said games. For example, in one game forum I was active, there was this person who tried the beta, didn't like it, and then continued to post daily multiple times (and not just a few lines, we're talking walls of rant) for close to 9 months.

It's not just Nintendo, it's pretty much every gaming franchise.
9236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/15/16


Also Other M was hated for entirely different reasons. Namely the wussification of Samus, terrible writing all around, and the fact that it literally has no proper continuity to any other Metroid.
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/16

Also Other M was hated for entirely different reasons. Namely the wussification of Samus, terrible writing all around, and the fact that it literally has no proper continuity to any other Metroid.


If I remember correctly, its completely incorrect about some story elements and creates plot holes.
How did that even happen? o.o
9236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

AzuroHeart wrote:


Also Other M was hated for entirely different reasons. Namely the wussification of Samus, terrible writing all around, and the fact that it literally has no proper continuity to any other Metroid.


If I remember correctly, its completely incorrect about some story elements and creates plot holes.
How did that even happen? o.o


the same thing that happened to the star wars prequels:

way too much creative freedom given to a bad writer not used to it
Posted 1/16/16 , edited 1/16/16
The plot thickens

Nintendo is a big troll.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/16/16
Metroid Other M was the product of letting Team Ninja make a Metroid game.
9236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:

Metroid Other M was the product of letting Team Ninja make a Metroid game.

From what I've read their hands were super tied by the game's writer/producer - team ninja just did what they were told.

Though tbh even if they hadn't been so restricted it probably still would've been trash, what was the last good game they released that wasn't banking off DOA money?

Just like

like

give the franchise to FROMSoft to make a game. The good, Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodborne team and hten contract Platinum to do the combat system. Perfect Metroid right there.
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/19/16 , edited 1/19/16

From what I've read their hands were super tied by the game's writer/producer - team ninja just did what they were told.

Though tbh even if they hadn't been so restricted it probably still would've been trash, what was the last good game they released that wasn't banking off DOA money?

Just like

like

give the franchise to FROMSoft to make a game. The good, Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodborne team and hten contract Platinum to do the combat system. Perfect Metroid right there.


Ever played Vanquish? Look it up, thats the kind of Gameplay they could use for Metroid.
Plus wouldn't it be super cool if they made Metroid Maker? like possible to make levels so that you can use a crazy amount of speed booster.
3306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/19/16

retrometroid wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:


Also Other M was hated for entirely different reasons. Namely the wussification of Samus, terrible writing all around, and the fact that it literally has no proper continuity to any other Metroid.


If I remember correctly, its completely incorrect about some story elements and creates plot holes.
How did that even happen? o.o


the same thing that happened to the star wars prequels:

way too much creative freedom given to a bad writer not used to it


I loved Metroid Other M! That was my first Metroid game
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/16

I loved Metroid Other M! That was my first Metroid game

I don't hate it, plus in terms of general rating of video games its still a fine game, its not what people wanted and it didn't live up to the standards and verily the story is flawed and doesn't connect with the other games when it was meant to.
Posted 1/20/16
In what universe is Sunshine considered anyone's favorite game?


Though on a serious note, Metroid Other M had great gameplay in my opinion, but a terrible story with a subplot going nowhere, a Samus that follow orders that clearly endangers her life needlessly, and various other stuff.
Posted 1/20/16

AzuroHeart wrote:

What is it with Nintendo that when They make stuff that people don't agree with, then later people love it but then when they do stuff people want almost everyone hates it, Like Metroid Other M is probably a product of "We want Nintendo to be more serious and adult and voice acting" and then everyone makes fun of it but it looks like it was trying to do what people want.

An then like Mario Sunshine came out way back when, I remember people saying "This is stupid, he squirts water!" but years later its like, almost everyone's favorite 3D Mario game or at least I see alot of speed runs of it, even on twitch.

Theres probably other examples as well but is this a thing happening? Does anyone notice this?



Other M imo was too much of a shock from the standard samus formula, being a stereotypical maleesque protagonist with a feminine twist. It messes with a market geared towards guys to push psychological boundaries for what is acceptable - and to a typical guy its reminiscent of a soap opera , "mushy". Heaven forbid if the writers change their own fucking product for the fans and they don't like it; unforgiveable. I'll get flak for this , but having a weaker samus made her seem more human and less like a superman , and YES, they altered a lot to the story, but who cares? Continuity freaks? It was a fresh experiment that failed on the market, and nintendo was forced to recant to placate the masses. I'll admit it wasn't my favourite, either, but it got more hate than it deserved.


Super Mario Sunshine wasn't so bad, either. I admit I played halfway through it and dropped it, but I never saw anything wrong with its gameplay. It just had a very preschool presentation, even for a mario game. The games before it had raised the bar so high it just wasn't enough, I guess. :c
AX-9 
6810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Washington
Offline
Posted 1/21/16

retrometroid wrote:

Also Other M was hated for entirely different reasons. Namely the wussification of Samus, terrible writing all around, and the fact that it literally has no proper continuity to any other Metroid.


A good deal of that happened due to miss-translations.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.