First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply What made you start to disbelieve God's existence?
Creator
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/16
I was raised by christian parents and after research and talking with other religious and non-religious people, I felt that there was just not enough evidence for the existence of a god.

I began by watching debates, and listening to shows like "the atheist experience" followed up with lots of reading. It's was a liberating feeling; although, It is hard not to feel that my religion and upbringing cheated me out of so much early on.


Member
Humms 
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 1/15/16 , edited 1/15/16
Hope you don't mind, I like to write..... a lot


To be honest, and going about this logically. There is no God.

I simply believe that we created the idea of God so that we may one day become one. God is omnipotent, something we think is Unrealistic, the almighty. Immortalized throughout time itself.

It's the fact that God's name was used for humanities excuse for everything, doesn't that seem odd to you? I will kill in the name of God, because you cannot be higher than God himself; go against him and be forever a sinner. Why do you think our laws don't revolve around him anymore? Even though it is still feared and shared, the idea of God isn't some figure that was depicted by man, it is simply an idea that we use to instill fear, praise, love, hope, and judgement.

I was born Christian and baptised at a Ukrainian Catholic church, my life at the Time consisted of weekly mass every Sunday. Born under Christ. Now......I live without the useless titles and birth rights. I can say right now I'm not a Christian, I didn't need to sign a contract, I didn't have to say it to anyone; I simply made a choice. I only hope in what I believe in, and God ain't one of them sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I will always enjoy my favorite stories. Mythology, God's and powers, most Greek Gods. I do think the idea of God is whatever we make it out to be, whatever we can create. That's why we all like to see some of our favorite characters act like Gods, because it is something we want to attain, but can never achieve; so we create the idea.

Atheist by nature, but I will always try to become that which has no equal.
Moderator
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/15/16
Alright, waited a while because I wanted to give a serious reply; I've been busy for a large part of the day, but I'm a little more free now.

Uh yah, this is kind of a wall. Sorry xD.

Origin

Questioning

Discovering

Critical thinking


TL;DR
Creator
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Alright, waited a while because I wanted to give a serious reply; I've been busy for a large part of the day, but I'm a little more free now.

Uh yah, this is kind of a wall. Sorry xD.

Origin

Questioning

Discovering

Critical thinking


TL;DR




This was well written, it's awesome you were able to reason yourself out of indoctrination by yourself with critical thinking and research.

The one article you said that began to put that little flame of doubt in your mind reminds me of the first time i questioned it, was due to a similar article; although, i do remember what it was about.

It was basically a list of the death counts between "satan" and "god" and let's just say it's not hard to figure out who won there.

I found the article you can view it below if you so desire to see what basically changed my mind, it sent a cold chill down my spine after reading this as a christian.

http://www.daltonator.net/durandal/religion/satan.shtml

Creator
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

Humms wrote:

Hope you don't mind, I like to write..... a lot


To be honest, and going about this logically. There is no God.

I simply believe that we created the idea of God so that we may one day become one. God is omnipotent, something we think is Unrealistic, the almighty. Immortalized throughout time itself.

It's the fact that God's name was used for humanities excuse for everything, doesn't that seem odd to you? I will kill in the name of God, because you cannot be higher than God himself; go against him and be forever a sinner. Why do you think our laws don't revolve around him anymore? Even though it is still feared and shared, the idea of God isn't some figure that was depicted by man, it is simply an idea that we use to instill fear, praise, love, hope, and judgement.

I was born Christian and baptised at a Ukrainian Catholic church, my life at the Time consisted of weekly mass every Sunday. Born under Christ. Now......I live without the useless titles and birth rights. I can say right now I'm not a Christian, I didn't need to sign a contract, I didn't have to say it to anyone; I simply made a choice. I only hope in what I believe in, and God ain't one of them sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I will always enjoy my favorite stories. Mythology, God's and powers, most Greek Gods. I do think the idea of God is whatever we make it out to be, whatever we can create. That's why we all like to see some of our favorite characters act like Gods, because it is something we want to attain, but can never achieve; so we create the idea.

Atheist by nature, but I will always try to become that which has no equal.




Sorry for the double post; although, i would like to say this is basically how a lot of us feel; although, it's generally better to say "we'll never know for sure if there's a god" even though we don't actually think there is because it's better for the person making the claim to have the burden of proof.

^__^
Member
Humms 
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 1/16/16 , edited 1/16/16

Reneker54 wrote:


Humms wrote:






It's actually generally better to say that we know for a fact God isn't real, because then we can talk one on one with someone without the presence of God to be your Trump card, and use the facts we have acquired over time.

Richard Dawkins
one of my favorite atheist and being my second favorite public speakers next to Stephen Fry and James Randi


Go watch some of his debates if you haven't already. Like I said before I will always tell people that God does not exist, If we die that means we are disconnected from our mind and brain which means we cannot possibly visualize God, nor can we store information on his identity and being, and considering that most people believe this to be the only valid argument of finding out the existence of God, it is simply nonsensical. The afterlife is the only argument someone can have, because we don't have an answer, because nobody can come back and tell us.

When people read a fictional book like Harry Potter, do we believe that magic is real? Some people do, and this relates to religion and God. We are suppose to humor the idea of "magic" or "God" because it is something that separates humans from mortality and the supernatural in terms of being fictional, and others simply believe it is true rather than fictional, This is why I'm an Atheist, because people can't seem to understand reality from fiction.

Is the Bible fictional? In most cases but not entirely, was there a man like jesus? Probably, but aside from that the Bible is simply a story, and religion is just a way of life that is not to be defended by an imaginary almighty being named God.
Creator
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/17/16
That's a great point Humms,

also Richard Dawkins is one of my favorite atheist faces as well. I love watching his debates, and reading his books on evolution.
Member
91 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 1/17/16
I am Jewish. Being Jewish does not require faith in God as it is also a form of community and culture. Moreover, I believe that being considered a religion can only hurt it, because the only things that come from organized religion are death and manipulation of the weak and poor.

I do not believe in God. Never have, even as a child. I remember having to go to Sunday school and on the first day they told us the story of Jonah, a man who lived inside a whale and Moses a man who was able to part the red sea with a staff...Really... even at 5 I couldn't buy that absurdity. That was my first and last class, I would then fake illness or sneak off to play with friends in the neighborhood than sit through that dribble.

My true convictions came in University as I was a Philosophy major and have studied the great works of Russell, Wittgenstein, Turing, Marx and many more. It became evident that in each generation throughout history even going back to ancient Greece (Democritus), the greatest minds in the world all had one thing in common, they knew God wasn't real and had conviction in their belief.

Even today, Dawkins, Hawking, Wozniak, list goes on and on you get the point. I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
Member
545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / UK
Offline
Posted 1/18/16
I never actually 'believed' in God, my Mother was from a Christian Family however they were very relaxed with it and never forced me to pray or anything. I was baptized as 'Methodist' Christian and did attend Church until I was around 7/8 maybe.

After my mother passed away when I was 8 then well I've been raised by my Father along with my brother and sister, he's a purely scientific minded person and a senior technical engineer in R&D electronics. He made us watch all the manned space launches and gave me my first proper interest in space/science/reasoning.

Since then well I've often wondered to myself about it all but instead of writing it all out I'll let Stephen Fry explain it for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo
Posted 1/18/16
I identify as agnostic, was once Catholic, I suppose my faith began to deteriorate as I began to question certain beliefs and dogmas the church held, such as their views on divorce,contraceptives, etc. At a certain point I didn't feel like continuing the charade, and left.

My current position is I don't know, because I don't at this time. I don't know if there is or isn't a god, and while I don't believe nor see a reason to believe, I could be wrong. That's it for me.
Member
27824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 1/18/16
If I can't see something or the existence of it hasn't been proven through science (DNA, matter and such) then I won't believe it in. Just written/verbal information isn't going to make me a believer.
Member
36204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / U.S.
Online
Posted 1/19/16
I was raised in an environment where most people were Christian. I was told that the Bible was historically accurate and that people of other faiths were willfully ignorant of the Bible's truth. In 8th grade, my teacher (with the OK from a school administrator who popped in during a lesson) actually taught Biblical stories as historical fact in several ancient history lessons. The most intelligent man I knew growing up completely bought in to one of those "Noah's Ark has been found!" crazes.

In college, I never had the opportunity to speak to someone who was an atheist, and I had somehow ended up not taking any hard science classes because of some New Age stuff I was into at the time. I know it sounds crazy given that the Internet was available, but I for years I was never once exposed to any good evidence for things like evolution and the Big Bang. And between New Age and Christian influences, my range of inquiry was very small.

One day I happened to see a clip on Youtube from one of Richard Dawkins' BBC specials (I think it was the God Delusion). For some reason, I didn't click away and decided to watch it; I was blown away. Everything he said was intelligent and well-thought out. I then went on a Dawkins, Hitchens, Randi Youtube binge and started to reading some of Dawkins' books on evolution. It was then that I was certain I had been lied to, and I began reading everything I could on Biblical scholarship and history.

I am an atheist because I can find no reason to believe in the existence of God. While I'm not an expert in any field of science (yet), I now know how misguided and simplistic most of the arguments you hear against science are, and I can now see through much of the rhetoric used to bolster belief in strange religious practices. I can now think critically about things, and I am a much better person for it.
Creator
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/16

EarthLight22 wrote:

I was raised in an environment where most people were Christian. I was told that the Bible was historically accurate and that people of other faiths were willfully ignorant of the Bible's truth. In 8th grade, my teacher (with the OK from a school administrator who popped in during a lesson) actually taught Biblical stories as historical fact in several ancient history lessons. The most intelligent man I knew growing up completely bought in to one of those "Noah's Ark has been found!" crazes.

In college, I never had the opportunity to speak to someone who was an atheist, and I had somehow ended up not taking any hard science classes because of some New Age stuff I was into at the time. I know it sounds crazy given that the Internet was available, but I for years I was never once exposed to any good evidence for things like evolution and the Big Bang. And between New Age and Christian influences, my range of inquiry was very small.

One day I happened to see a clip on Youtube from one of Richard Dawkins' BBC specials (I think it was the God Delusion). For some reason, I didn't click away and decided to watch it; I was blown away. Everything he said was intelligent and well-thought out. I then went on a Dawkins, Hitchens, Randi Youtube binge and started to reading some of Dawkins' books on evolution. It was then that I was certain I had been lied to, and I began reading everything I could on Biblical scholarship and history.

I am an atheist because I can find no reason to believe in the existence of God. While I'm not an expert in any field of science (yet), I now know how misguided and simplistic most of the arguments you hear against science are, and I can now see through much of the rhetoric used to bolster belief in strange religious practices. I can now think critically about things, and I am a much better person for it.


Posts like this, really make me thankful for people like Richard Dawkins, and other amazing faces of atheism, It's a great time to be alive in the same time period as them.

One of the things that changed my mind drastically was youtube bindging as well. Pretty awesome story, thanks for sharing it!
Member
64 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Aincrad
Offline
Posted 1/22/16
I love reading the stories of atheists, simply because it makes me feel like I'm not alone. I know that I'm not, but sometimes it's hard to remember that I'm not when most of the people around me are incredibly religious.

I guess I'll share my story.

Like many people here, I was also raised in a Christian family. Baptist Christian, to be exact. There aren't any specific or key events that occurred that ultimately made me disbelieve; but uhm, if there's such a thing as destiny, then me being an atheist was probably going to happen regardless of... whatever variables or possibilities are out there (e.g. making atheist friends, the lazy kids program at my church, non-practicing parents, etc.).

I've always been good at questioning things, and typically, those who were religious more often than not didn't have answers for me. This slowly led up to now, where... because I see no proof, I don't believe. It's that simple. The whole process took a while though, I didn't just "jump" to atheism. After Christianity, I looked for some kind of "in-between," because while I still wanted to believe in a supreme being, I began to fail to see the point of more and more religious practices (especially when I got transferred into a Catholic school in ninth grade). I found Deism, which is believing in God but not religion.

When I began to start calling myself a Deist, I thought I had found what I would stick with for a while. But then the more I began to think about it and read about it, the more I would lead towards thinking "maybe there isn't a God after all," but it still took months for me to... accept that thought as my own. This is because I grew up believing in this god, and I was taught that not believing was wrong, etc. I was terrified to go against how my parents brought me up, and scared of what would happen to me after death, and all that sort of stuff. These thoughts plagued me day after day, and around a time where a lot of really terrible things were happening at once (falling grades, parents both got hospitalized, bullied at school for being underweight, feeling horrible at art because I was in a class full of amazing artists and the comparison got to me, and a lot more).

One day I returned home from school and I was just... so upset for reasons that I can't even remember anymore. All I can recall is... throwing my backpack on the floor, tears streaming down my face, and repeatedly, angrily hitting my brother's bedroom wall (he doesn't live with us anymore and clearly I didn't want to screw up my own bedroom wall) with some toy purple bat I found in a box of really old toys. I'm not even the kind of person to release my strong emotions through hitting or breaking things. I typically just write or draw, so this was really rare for me. I was looking upward and cursing and crying and it was just a real mess. To clarify though, I don't believe that I turned into an atheist because "God didn't answer my prayers" or something like that. With all my questions, I think I would've ended up like this anyway. The big conglomerate of unfortunate circumstances just sort of... sped up the process a little.

As of late, I feel like I really need to read some more though, and watch some debates. I'll surely be checking out some of the names you guys have dropped here. I'm going to put a lot more time into critical thinking, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just after the truth, after all.
Member
5024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/22/16
I guess for me it was really just science and logic. All the mountains of scientific evidence that the bible is clearly incorrect about and the fact that it's more logical to think that humans made up the concept.

Even if you follow history you can see how a religion was developed and Christianity is no different. After thinking about it for a long time it became obvious to me that there is no god.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.