First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
Post Reply Upcoming Changes to CR Free Streaming in Canada
74893 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/12/17 , edited 2/3/17

Lushii13 wrote:

I really dislike this change....Other then Youtube, Funimation and Crunchyroll are the only ways to legally watch anime here in Canada. My ability to watch the shows I want has plunged to very small numbers now. I can't afford to put money at the side to just watch anime, College drains my money enough...

I really do get the change, it just kind of sucks it had to turn out this way.

Not commenting on the change (easy solution: become a subscriber) but I thought I should point out that there are several other legal choices for streaming anime in Canada:

Daisuki -free with ads, pay for fewer ads
Anime Network Online (The Anime Network) -the first episode of some series are free but you need a subscription to watch the rest
Netflix -subscription required

It is tough to pay for them all but just paying for Crunchyroll isn't really that much. $7/month is surely the cost of one lunch out or something like that. I know it costs thousands of dollars to attend post-secondary school here now (my kids will be going there in a few years) but $7/month isn't that much and you can get it for less in a yearly subscription. Now, having to subscribe to all of them adds up for sure but with the stuff you get for free on Daisuki and Funimation you can probably choose to subscribe to one of Crunchyroll or ANO depending on the shows you want to watch.

Most of Funimation's back catalog is free to watch and the ads don't even work (no adblock required, they just don't seem to display) so you really are getting them for free.

Most anime on Youtube is not actually licensed for it. It is copied from other places and stays up until someone notices.

Final thought: you're paying a lot of money to go to school; how much time should you be spending watching anime anyway?
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/17 , edited 2/3/17
I find it strange that you allow certain shows catalog to be free to watch with ad revenue (example one piece, Ai no excorcist and some more) when you said due to the weak canadian dollars you cannot do that. I came back to CR to see if this is true after 9 months. Why is certain shows free to canadian users that doesn't make any sense aren't you losing money that was the whole reason why you made this change. Is it because funimation is offering to Canada for free?
76174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / NE Ohio | Beijing
Offline
Posted 1/20/17

stalik wrote: I find it strange that you allow certain shows catalog to be free to watch with ad revenue (example one piece, Ai no excorcist and some more) when you said due to the weak canadian dollars you cannot do that. I came back to CR to see if this is true after 9 months. Why is certain shows free to canadian users that doesn't make any sense aren't you losing money that was the whole reason why you made this change. Is it because funimation is offering to Canada for free?

When something in this business doesn't make any obvious sense, over half of the time it is some kind of contractual obligation.

One Piece would be independent of Funimation, but some others may be due to the way that terms of the Funimation cross distribution deal are written.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
I'm wondering if this is a permanent solution. If perhaps one day the market goes belly up and the Canadian dollar equals out to the American dollar (either by the CAD catching up or the USD falling behind) will Crunchyroll remove this restriction? Part of me doubts it. My American friends were bugging me to watching anime with them here but it seems I'll have to find some other place to do it.
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/29/17
Wow. I've been avoiding Crunchyroll for half my life and now that I've said "aww, screw it" and finally decided to use the service, it's impossible to watch anything on my list of stuff to watch! It's like, discrimination against Canadians! I got through Parasyte and said "let's check out this other anime that I've only seen 50 ads for!" Then I try to watch and it's only available to premium members. T.T Need I say "disappointing"?
The part that really gets me is that I can't watch Nanbaka on CR, but their YouTube channel still has the first 3 episodes available at the moment.
28 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 1/18/18
So explain to me why I could watch all 12 episodes of The ancient magus bride but the 13th one was premium only. Not too happy here.
53123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/18/18

SalemW wrote:

So explain to me why I could watch all 12 episodes of The ancient magus bride but the 13th one was premium only. Not too happy here.


Did you mean episode 14, the most recent one?, or is there really a problem with 13.

The most recent episode will always be a week delayed for getting access by non-subscribers. Once the crown icon goes away, then you can view those.

In the US, only episode 14 has a crown, so if you see crowns on both 13 and 14, then I would guess that's an error (I can't be sure, since I can't see the site the same way you would in Canada). If so, then you should put in a support request asking why 13 is still tagged. /contact
28 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 1/23/18
It's weird, now I have access to 13 and 14, but not 15. It seems, (as I've had that problem with another anime as well (Ep. 3 of Sanrio Boys) that I don't have access to the latest episode of recent anime. I thought I had access to everything recent just not the archived ones. I'm a little confused now. TT^TT;; Did I not understand how the non-premium package works? I thought Sanrio boys wasn't that recent...
18169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/23/18 , edited 1/23/18

SalemW wrote:

It's weird, now I have access to 13 and 14, but not 15. It seems, (as I've had that problem with another anime as well (Ep. 3 of Sanrio Boys) that I don't have access to the latest episode of recent anime. I thought I had access to everything recent just not the archived ones. I'm a little confused now. TT^TT;; Did I not understand how the non-premium package works? I thought Sanrio boys wasn't that recent...


Because the 15th episode just aired this past Saturday. If you do not have a premium membership you have a week long delay before being able to watch any new episode of airing anime. Sanrio Boys is currently airing.

It's right there on the page.
Dushan 
12045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 1/24/18

hpulley wrote:


Lushii13 wrote:

I really dislike this change....Other then Youtube, Funimation and Crunchyroll are the only ways to legally watch anime here in Canada. My ability to watch the shows I want has plunged to very small numbers now. I can't afford to put money at the side to just watch anime, College drains my money enough...

I really do get the change, it just kind of sucks it had to turn out this way.

Not commenting on the change (easy solution: become a subscriber) but I thought I should point out that there are several other legal choices for streaming anime in Canada:

Daisuki -free with ads, pay for fewer ads
Anime Network Online (The Anime Network) -the first episode of some series are free but you need a subscription to watch the rest
Netflix -subscription required

It is tough to pay for them all but just paying for Crunchyroll isn't really that much. $7/month is surely the cost of one lunch out or something like that. I know it costs thousands of dollars to attend post-secondary school here now (my kids will be going there in a few years) but $7/month isn't that much and you can get it for less in a yearly subscription. Now, having to subscribe to all of them adds up for sure but with the stuff you get for free on Daisuki and Funimation you can probably choose to subscribe to one of Crunchyroll or ANO depending on the shows you want to watch.

Most of Funimation's back catalog is free to watch and the ads don't even work (no adblock required, they just don't seem to display) so you really are getting them for free.

Most anime on Youtube is not actually licensed for it. It is copied from other places and stays up until someone notices.

Final thought: you're paying a lot of money to go to school; how much time should you be spending watching anime anyway?


Amazon also has quite a lot of anime...and its never had to put up with anime strike. Ive been quite enjoying using it since I had Prime anyways.

Overall this change really only effects the CR free users. Not much ad revinue from them anyways so its ok if we lose some of the free watchers. This change will not have much of an effect on CR as a buisness overall. I still think a price raise in the future is coming.

Do not understand how people can sit there and say its unfair to target a country only for changes...thats exactly how it should be done. We are a completely diffrent zone from the US with how we handle are internet and how our dollar is valued.

nDroae 
8697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Kentucky
Offline
Posted 1/24/18
@Dushan This is a bumped announcement from two years ago, so any effects have probably settled down by now
74893 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/25/18

nDroae wrote:

@Dushan This is a bumped announcement from two years ago, so any effects have probably settled down by now :)


Why the necrobump? LOL. Several of those services are gone or renamed now!
Dushan 
12045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 1/25/18 , edited 1/25/18

nDroae wrote:

@Dushan This is a bumped announcement from two years ago, so any effects have probably settled down by now :)


Is it? Ha. Oh well. 'shrug'

two years ago? Why does this post still exsist I wonder. You would think forums would want to clean up all this usless data after that much time.
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.