First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Swedish police banned from describing criminals if they sound racist
3060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


Trewill91 wrote:


hurtuoc wrote:

Honestly what's so racist about calling a person white, black, brown ,etc... Most stupid thing ever is when you say [Color] person and they easily get offended for no reason at all. I don't give a fuck when someone calls me Asian because ethnically I am an Asian. So why would a person be offended for being called literally what they are?


who knows... i was once talking to a classmate about how i people always used to confuse me with another black student in my grade because all black people apparently look the same and she called me racist. I'm black. she was white. i was so confused.


WTF I'm confused.


RIGHT!?!
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

imagine how much fun it will be to describe a suspect:

"we're looking for either a guy or a girl that is about 5' - 6' suspected of a crime. if you find him/her, let us know - police"


35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/16 , edited 1/16/16
I'm not going to break this apart across several different refugee threads, so here's everything that I'm taking from what's been going on lately in one fell swoop:

Police need to reach out to people and offer them substantial protections from retaliation by individual criminals and gangs in exchange for information. They should also freely provide useful and necessary information about suspects to each other and the press as is appropriate. Information such as a suspect's race, age, height, weight, and so on are useful pieces of information that should be collected and shared as necessary. The public must, however, receive this information sensibly. They should not begin to label entire ethnic communities according to the activities of their worst elements. That's only going to make things more difficult.

Perpetrators need to face equivalent investigation and prosecution regardless of their racial/ethnic/national background according to the standards of the law, and they should also be granted the full benefits of due process and be presumed innocent until the necessary burden of proof for guilt has been met. Penalties should follow the sentencing standards outlined in the law when guilt is determined, including deportation if applicable. It is wholly inappropriate for a report of sexual assault, sexual harassment, or whatever else to be ignored because of the ethnic background of either the victim or the perpetrator. It is also wholly inappropriate to call for entire communities to be punished for the crimes of some.

Services should be provided to protect and care for victims, particularly victims of violent crime and sexual harassment. Assurance that these services exist should be given to victims so as to better improve the probability that they will come forward and provide useful information about perpetrators. Stigmas against their doing so should be combated at all levels of the community.

The sheer number of people seeking asylum in Europe requires elevated security measures that weren't necessary before the refugee crisis, particularly since it is difficult to effectively screen entrants from certain countries. Checking for identification while crossing national borders, for example, is reasonable. Although slower processing would leave people awaiting entry for far longer serious consideration of lowering the number of people accepted for entry in a given year should be on the table. Europe is facing a significant problem that is detracting from national security and puts general public safety at risk since entrants' criminal backgrounds aren't always available. Trade in both legitimate and false passports must be addressed.

Ethnic minority communities should engage in open dialogue and cooperative effort with the community at large to address any internal problems they may be experiencing, particularly gangs involved in sexual assault, human trafficking, and illicit drug trade. They only stand to gain from doing this, and the community at large should greet such efforts with encouragement and avoid temptation to label entire ethnic minorities according to the actions of their worst elements. The cooperation of the whole of the community is crucial to combating criminal activity.

A certain level of integration is reasonably expected of both immigrants and asylum seekers. They should be expected to learn the language of the country they're entering to at least a moderate functional proficiency, they should be expected to know and follow the laws at the municipal, regional, and national levels, and they should be expected to show respect for the customs and traditions of the host nation. With that said they should also receive equivalent respect for their own customs and traditions, being free to continue to practice these to the fullest legal extent as they desire, to retain their own language if they like even if there are settings where the more common language should be standard (such as in the armed forces and public schools), and so on.

This is what I consider to be a reasonable platform at the moment. It's a fairly sound rejection of far-right nationalism, but it's not the sort of centre-left positions I tend toward. If anything it's fairly centrist, which is where I've generally been finding myself with regard to the issue of refugees in Europe from the outset.
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/16/16 , edited 1/16/16

You post is sounding quite conservative, at least American conservative. You can come over here but: learn our language, follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and don't commit major crime then your welcome. If you cause trouble and want to force us adopt your culture then get the fuck out of my country.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

Rujikin wrote:

You post is sounding quite conservative, at least American conservative. You can come over here but: learn our language, follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and don't commit major crime then your welcome. If you cause trouble and want to force us adopt your culture then get the fuck out of my country.

That's actually funny if you take a look at most Americans: we don't follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and, if you look at the internet, barely know our official language. Hmm.
15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

sundin13 wrote:

I can't wait until they start posting police sketches of these people which are just stick figures...


rofl
17179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/16/16
This change makes the descriptions extremely broad and it actually makes it easier for cops to get away with racial profiling.
g_f 
25169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / South Carolina
Online
Posted 1/16/16

hurtuoc wrote:

Honestly what's so racist about calling a person white, black, brown ,etc... Most stupid thing ever is when you say [Color] person and they easily get offended for no reason at all. I don't give a fuck when someone calls me Asian because ethnically I am an Asian. So why would a person be offended for being called literally what they are?


No offense, but yellow is the race of all asians, so you are yellow. Another denomination for asians is mongoloid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mongoloid&redirect=no l
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

You post is sounding quite conservative, at least American conservative. You can come over here but: learn our language, follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and don't commit major crime then your welcome. If you cause trouble and want to force us adopt your culture then get the fuck out of my country.

That's actually funny if you take a look at most Americans: we don't follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and, if you look at the internet, barely know our official language. Hmm.


We don't murder one another or steal from one another though and we have to pay taxes as well as go through the horrors that are the BMV. Most Americans including myself bash America for not being perfect but if someone were to attack us we unite to bomb the fuck out of them, we are always striving to be better and that is why we criticize ourselves. We have so many different versions of American culture that if you can't find one then you obviously don't belong here.

If you can have a conversation with other Americans then you know it well enough. We don't have that high of standards but if you fail to meet then then your obviously not serious about becoming an American.
29739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 1/16/16
Can the world officially go fuck itself? Skin colour is a valid description of a person. Why is it so bad to describe someone as black? Ooh! Am I somehow racist for thinking of the person as black first and a person second? Fuck no! I'm describing what that person looks like! People need to stop being such pansies and being so incredibly oversensitive over this shit. You don't get this with any other physical feature of a person, and in all seriousness, this bullshit political correctness offends me way more than someone describing me as black. It offends me more that they think I would be offended by something so tiny. I'm not comfortable with how much something so stupid actually really pisses me off.

It's one of the many reasons I hate the term "African American". African isn't a skin colour. American isn't a skin colour. There are black people outside of America. I'm not African American. I'm black.

I don't think people even know the meaning of the word "racism" anymore. Calling a black person black isn't racist, and isn't going to make them break out in an uncontrollable rage. It's a legitimate fucking physical description of a person. God... I'm repeating myself, but I don't care.

World, stop being so pathetic. Stop wrapping everyone in bubble wrap, as if they can't handle even the slightest bit of verbal friction.

Seriously pathetic.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

Rujikin wrote:

You post is sounding quite conservative, at least American conservative. You can come over here but: learn our language, follow our laws, support our country, accept our culture, and don't commit major crime then your welcome. If you cause trouble and want to force us adopt your culture then get the fuck out of my country.


Perhaps, but there are enough points of divergence between myself and US conservatism (conservatism in general, really) that I'm not one.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/16/16

Frenzify wrote:

Why is it so bad to describe someone as black?

Posted 1/16/16
Lol yeah I don't understand how that would sound racist for just describing the appearance which should include the skin colour.
It should be mandatory actually.
Posted 1/16/16

hurtuoc wrote:

Honestly what's so racist about calling a person white, black, brown ,etc... Most stupid thing ever is when you say [Color] person and they easily get offended for no reason at all. I don't give a fuck when someone calls me Asian because ethnically I am an Asian. So why would a person be offended for being called literally what they are?


Agreed!!!!
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/16 , edited 1/16/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:

This change makes the descriptions extremely broad and it actually makes it easier for cops to get away with racial profiling.


This is another good reason to collect and report data on the race/ethnicity of suspects, to enable detection of biased policing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.