WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Let's all start calling RWBY an Ameri-me
33129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/19/16
I can work with Ameri-me, I can work with OEA as well... though I agree OEA sounds boring and uninteresting. If American Anime were to ever become a thing it would need a name that would pop and a name that sounds stupid would do the trick, everyone would notice that not some little three letter abbreviation.
22332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 1/19/16 , edited 1/19/16
All animation in Japan , no matter where it comes from is considered anime . Batman the Animated Series was done in Japan & S . Korea , so is it anime ? How about the Power Puff Girls ? There are quite a few "American" animation series done by Japan .
20076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Culebra PR
Offline
Posted 1/20/16 , edited 8/15/16
RoosterTeeth 4lyfe
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Great Beyond...
Offline
Posted 8/13/16 , edited 8/15/16

If it's American I'll stick to calling it a cartoon. Wasn't ashamed of enjoying the occasional cartoon, and not about to start now.


Sorry just got back onto Crunchyroll, forgot how to ACTUALLY reply to someone
17775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/13/16 , edited 8/13/16

Gameenderz wrote:

(EDITED) I wanted to know where RWBY was from, why the artist for the opening song sings in english. I googled RWBY and found the RWBY wikia site. http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/RWBY where I learned it was an American made Anime! First I've ever heard of, might have watched some in the past not knowing it was American made. But I don't always research my anime. And then I thought-why not call it an Ameri-me? If there is Japanime there should be Ameri-me It'll be FUN! We can call any American anime that ever goes live Ameri-me, LET'S DO IT!!!


How about NO.
1080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Kansas, USA
Offline
Posted 8/13/16

CardClamp wrote:


If it's American I'll stick to calling it a cartoon. Wasn't ashamed of enjoying the occasional cartoon, and not about to start now.


I know this post is old, but I need to say it... Calling RWBY a cartoon (Though all anime technically are cartoons, and I for one consider RWBY anime), is such a cop out if your reason is JUST so you can enjoy cartoons that aren't anime, you got some Moe in RWBY, and the clicks of anime in it. If you REALLY want to enjoy a cartoon watch Gravity falls, South Park, or Steven Universe.

Watching RWBY BECAUSE it's not "Anime" is like Wanting to try something NEW so instead of your usual McDonald's Big Mac so instead you get a Whooper from Burger king, in the end you'll still get diabetes.


I'd consider it the other way around: all cartoons are anime. "Cartoon" is somewhat indicative of a certain style, while "anime" (animation) is a broader term. In a technical sense, every Pixar film is "anime," but the term has become synonymous with Japanese animation. It's also situationally, generationally, and geographically interpreted. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to The Lion King as a cartoon until the spin off series' began airing on television, but then, the movie was still an "animated" film. There's no definitive interpretation of the two terms.
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Great Beyond...
Offline
Posted 8/13/16

PandAndy wrote:


CardClamp wrote:


If it's American I'll stick to calling it a cartoon. Wasn't ashamed of enjoying the occasional cartoon, and not about to start now.


I know this post is old, but I need to say it... Calling RWBY a cartoon (Though all anime technically are cartoons, and I for one consider RWBY anime), is such a cop out if your reason is JUST so you can enjoy cartoons that aren't anime, you got some Moe in RWBY, and the clicks of anime in it. If you REALLY want to enjoy a cartoon watch Gravity falls, South Park, or Steven Universe.

Watching RWBY BECAUSE it's not "Anime" is like Wanting to try something NEW so instead of your usual McDonald's Big Mac so instead you get a Whooper from Burger king, in the end you'll still get diabetes.


I'd consider it the other way around: all cartoons are anime. "Cartoon" is somewhat indicative of a certain style, while "anime" (animation) is a broader term. In a technical sense, every Pixar film is "anime," but the term has become synonymous with Japanese animation. It's also situationally, generationally, and geographically interpreted. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to The Lion King as a cartoon until the spin off series' began airing on television, but then, the movie was still an "animated" film. There's no definitive interpretation of the two terms.



Anime is admittedly, and sadly very subjective, but my comment was trying to show the hypocrisy in that one person's comment was all, "You want to broaden your animation horizons away from anime once in a while? GOOD for you, but it's total bullshit, if it's an animation that EMULATES anime!" Regardless of whether you consider that animation particularly anime or not, then by watching that show you aren't broadening your horizons, your cheating your own intentions. think of it like this-

Anime fan: Uh DUH of course I watch things other than anime! My Favorite cartoons are RWBY and Avatar the Last Airbender....... though they are my ONLY favorite non-anime cartoons.

Person A: Well.... if you DO like cartoons do you watch Gravity Falls perhaps?

Anime Fan: No.

Person A: How about the Legend of Korra?

Anime Fan: Yes.


Do you see a pattern here?
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Great Beyond...
Offline
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16

qwueri wrote:

If it's American I'll stick to calling it a cartoon. Wasn't ashamed of enjoying the occasional cartoon, and not about to start now.


I know this post is old, but I need to say it... Calling RWBY a cartoon (Though all anime technically are cartoons, and I for one consider RWBY anime), is such a cop out if your reason is JUST so you can enjoy cartoons that aren't anime, you got some Moe in RWBY, and the clicks of anime in it. If you REALLY want to enjoy a cartoon watch Gravity falls, South Park, or Steven Universe.

Watching RWBY BECAUSE it's not "Anime" is like Wanting to try something NEW so instead of your usual McDonald's Big Mac so instead you get a Whooper from Burger king, in the end you'll still get diabetes.
qwueri 
19675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16

CardClamp wrote:

Anime is admittedly, and sadly very subjective, but my comment was trying to show the hypocrisy in that one person's comment was all, "You want to broaden your animation horizons away from anime once in a while? GOOD for you, but it's total bullshit, if it's an animation that EMULATES anime!" Regardless of whether you consider that animation particularly anime or not, then by watching that show you aren't broadening your horizons, your cheating your own intentions. think of it like this-

Anime fan: Uh DUH of course I watch things other than anime! My Favorite cartoons are RWBY and Avatar the Last Airbender....... though they are my ONLY favorite non-anime cartoons.

Person A: Well.... if you DO like cartoons do you watch Gravity Falls perhaps?

Anime Fan: No.

Person A: How about the Legend of Korra?

Anime Fan: Yes.


Do you see a pattern here?



I know this post is old, but I need to say it... Calling RWBY a cartoon (Though all anime technically are cartoons, and I for one consider RWBY anime), is such a cop out if your reason is JUST so you can enjoy cartoons that aren't anime, you got some Moe in RWBY, and the clicks of anime in it. If you REALLY want to enjoy a cartoon watch Gravity falls, South Park, or Steven Universe.

Watching RWBY BECAUSE it's not "Anime" is like Wanting to try something NEW so instead of your usual McDonald's Big Mac so instead you get a Whooper from Burger king, in the end you'll still get diabetes.


Why is cartoon some narrow style while anime is some broad term? The distinction of terminology is largely the country of origin.

Where anime and cartoons really diverge is the depth of genre. Cartoons are mostly either disney/pixar-esque family movies, children's programming, super-hero action, anime-styled action, or comedy/parody. It'd be like if anime consisted only of Gibli films, pokemon styled shows, shounen, and comedy.

The difference in labeling is strictly country of origin, and both have borrowed from the other in style and themes over the years.
1306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/15/16
Doesn't Anime refer to it being animated, why call RWBY Amerime, you could use that to refer to anything American then, not just something animated
23015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/15/16
I always call manga-style art/visual novels by westerners neo-manga and I know I'm not the only one. Ameri-me doesn't have a great ring to it though neo-anime doesn't work well either. I think I'l stick to calling western animation cartoons and Avatar, RWBY anime-inspired at best.
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16
And we should also call japanese anime japanime.
33877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16
RWBY is a cartoon... Anime are cartoons, and vice versa... Regardless of what you consider RWBY to be, this argument is an exercise in pedantry.
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Great Beyond...
Offline
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16

qwueri wrote:


CardClamp wrote:

Anime is admittedly, and sadly very subjective, but my comment was trying to show the hypocrisy in that one person's comment was all, "You want to broaden your animation horizons away from anime once in a while? GOOD for you, but it's total bullshit, if it's an animation that EMULATES anime!" Regardless of whether you consider that animation particularly anime or not, then by watching that show you aren't broadening your horizons, your cheating your own intentions. think of it like this-

Anime fan: Uh DUH of course I watch things other than anime! My Favorite cartoons are RWBY and Avatar the Last Airbender....... though they are my ONLY favorite non-anime cartoons.

Person A: Well.... if you DO like cartoons do you watch Gravity Falls perhaps?

Anime Fan: No.

Person A: How about the Legend of Korra?

Anime Fan: Yes.


Do you see a pattern here?



I know this post is old, but I need to say it... Calling RWBY a cartoon (Though all anime technically are cartoons, and I for one consider RWBY anime), is such a cop out if your reason is JUST so you can enjoy cartoons that aren't anime, you got some Moe in RWBY, and the clicks of anime in it. If you REALLY want to enjoy a cartoon watch Gravity falls, South Park, or Steven Universe.

Watching RWBY BECAUSE it's not "Anime" is like Wanting to try something NEW so instead of your usual McDonald's Big Mac so instead you get a Whooper from Burger king, in the end you'll still get diabetes.


Why is cartoon some narrow style while anime is some broad term? The distinction of terminology is largely the country of origin.

Where anime and cartoons really diverge is the depth of genre. Cartoons are mostly either disney/pixar-esque family movies, children's programming, super-hero action, anime-styled action, or comedy/parody. It'd be like if anime consisted only of Gibli films, pokemon styled shows, shounen, and comedy.

The difference in labeling is strictly country of origin, and both have borrowed from the other in style and themes over the years.



if Anime is some narrow Style, then all Impressionist paintings are literally the same thing. There is some anime that differ from the norm of anime, and has a twist of the anime style, that leaves it as to HOW far it is twisted from anime. Something like Gregory Horror Show I would never consider anime. If Country of Origin is the only deciding factor, that means if you aren't Japanese you can't make any contribution to anime, which is closed minded as fuck. There is no such thing as an Objective anime because we put meaning into that word and there is a split between people who define by origin and style! You're wrong when you say it's strictly country of Origin, otherwise there would never have been debate FOR YEARS! All you're doing is taking your dumb opinion and making it sound like fact.

Besides my comment was not to argue whether RWBY is OBJECTIVELY an anime or not. My comment was simply trying to say that you are doing nothing but cheating yourself IF you want to get away from anime occasionally by watching cartoons. Which is Ok, but defeats the purpose if that said cartoon is well.... Anime Style! It may not be an anime to you, but you're only cheating yourself if your intention is trying something DIFFERENT from anime or something that isn't anime. Again as I said in my previous comment... Big Macs and Whoopers are both BURGERS!!! That isn't different





43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Great Beyond...
Offline
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

And we should also call japanese anime japanime.


I say we just call it Japanese anime and American Anime or.. "(Insert Country name) Anime"

because if Korean Drama fans are willing to call their favorite stuff Korean Dramas, we as sure hell can call our favorite stuff (Insert Country name) anime.

All the origin definition believers of anime can Just say "Japanese Cartoon" ... And They shouldn't complain about it being long winded Korean Drama fans have to use their term Korean Drama ALL the Time!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.