First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Where do I go to cash in on my privilege?
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:
LOL. You're an _____. You do realize that inherited wealth has nothing to do with racism or systems in general. People from older generations had money, and they passed it to their kids. That's all.

Not to mention, we're literally talking about 1% of the population.

If you really think that 1% of the population constitutes racism in any form, you're a fucking moron. Sorry. That's just reality.


I think we are misunderstanding each other, but I'm sorry you think I'm a moron. Let's end it there
2549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / California
Online
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16
This must be where one throws the, "At least you don't get shot walking down the street!" card, amirite? There are privileges for every ethnicity out here, though I do think whites might have a slight advantage. Of course there's not too much of a difference, we just have privileges for different things and different reasons.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

kinga750 wrote:

Like I said I think privilege is a terrible choice of words. I don't think the term is entirely appropriate anymore. The term "white privilege" annoys me to be honest. It doesn't give enough credit to the progress we have made so far. 200, 100, even 50 years ago it made a lot more sense though. That's not a long time when you are talking about fundamentally changing the way society operates, especially since our current systems were built upon a rotten foundation.


I certainly agree that, even as short as 50 years ago, "privilege" might have been an appropriate term. Even though we had laws against discrimination based on race and gender, they were just recently applied and faced a lot of opposition from men and women across the country. After the cultural movements of that decade (the 60's) and the 70's, however, one can't really say that "privilege" (or at least the kind we're used to hearing about) exists at all in the United States, or indeed in the Western world.

I would, however, argue that there is a case for "privilege" held AGAINST the majority. For example, all kinds of "affirmative action" that discriminate against people due to them lacking a certain amount of melanin or due to having a "Y" chromosome. That is to say, that there are programs and institutions that are quite specifically biased against both men and white people. This "anti-privilege" extends even unto our court systems (e.g., child custody).

So I actually do think that privilege does exist, but it's the reverse of what we're so used to hearing. People do have an actual systematic (not just systemic) advantage due to their melanin levels or gender, by NOT being white and NOT being male.


TrickedMJ wrote:

This must be where one throws the, "At least you don't get shot walking down the street!" card, amirite? There are privileges for every ethnicity out here, though I do think whites might have a slight advantage. Of course there's not too much of a difference, we just have privileges for different things and different reasons.


THe "at least you don't get shot" bit is more an example of socio-economic status than anything else. It's not your gender or skin color that determines that; it's the neighborhood you live in, usually due to your inability to live somewhere with less crime, most likely cause by lack of necessary income.
18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:


nooneinparticular wrote:

On wealth, the top 1% control more than the bottom 90% combined. Even the difference in wealth between the top 1% and top 10% is over 1000%.


I see this thrown around a lot, and while the principle is true (that the richest people own quite a lot), the figures are false.

According to a 2007 study ( http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html ), the top 1% owns approximately 34.6% of the wealth in the United States.

According to the same study, the top 20% own approximately 85% of all the wealth.

(It's actually a prime reason why Bernie Sanders' economics are fail.)


kinga750 wrote:

I agree that classism and the wealth gap is a major problem, and that many white people are disadvantaged by it. Just because there is classism doesn't mean that racism isn't a problem though. The fact that whites have inherited so much wealth, and collectively control such a huge percentage of it highlights the systemic nature of racism.


I completely agree that it doesn't mean that racism isn't a problem. However, that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Being "privileged" infers that a member of the privileged group automatically enjoys benefits unavailable to those who do not belong to the group.

One could argue that assuming someone enjoys more privilege because of their skin color itself is racist.


cheers to an Oligarchy under the name of a federal republic
18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
so, is receiving benefits such as food diapers clothes and some money for being pregnant/or with a child as a single mother privileged?
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:
I certainly agree that, even as short as 50 years ago, "privilege" might have been an appropriate term. Even though we had laws against discrimination based on race and gender, they were just recently applied and faced a lot of opposition from men and women across the country. After the cultural movements of that decade (the 60's) and the 70's, however, one can't really say that "privilege" (or at least the kind we're used to hearing about) exists at all in the United States, or indeed in the Western world.

I would, however, argue that there is a case for "privilege" held AGAINST the majority. For example, all kinds of "affirmative action" that discriminate against people due to them lacking a certain amount of melanin or due to having a "Y" chromosome. That is to say, that there are programs and institutions that are quite specifically biased against both men and white people. This "anti-privilege" extends even unto our court systems (e.g., child custody).

So I actually do think that privilege does exist, but it's the reverse of what we're so used to hearing. People do have an actual systematic (not just systemic) advantage due to their melanin levels or gender, by NOT being white and NOT being male.


Honestly I am not a big supporter of affirmative action. I understand its intent and think it comes from a desire to do good but it makes us more divided. On one hand we need to deal with the widespread poverty and lack of opportunity for minorities, but it's also true that it is fundamentally unfair. Of course it will inspire resentment, particularly from people that are poor/disadvantaged but can't benefit from the programs.

Gender is a whole different beast. In a lot of ways it's a more complex and subtle subject than race. I think it will continue to be a fluid issue as society changes. Of course you have extremes on either side of the debate, and the loudest voices always get noticed most. So far it's been a peaceful debate and one that both sides seem willing to engage in though, so I'm not too concerned about it.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

redokami wrote:

so, is receiving benefits such as food diapers clothes and some money for being pregnant/or with a child as a single mother privileged?


No, I would not say that it is. Those are not things that are exclusive to other people because of their gender or race (well, except the "being pregnant" bit). They are things that are exclusive to a situation that people of any race or gender can "enjoy." That's my personal opinion, anywho.


kinga750 wrote:

Honestly I am not a big supporter of affirmative action. I understand it's intent and think it comes from a desire to do good but it makes us more divided. On one hand we need to deal with the widespread poverty and lack of opportunity for minorities, but it's also true that it is fundamentally unfair. Of course it will inspire resentment, particularly from people that are poor/disadvantaged but can't benefit from the programs.


That makes two of us, then. It's been my personal experience that affirmative action can worsen race relations rather than provide benefits--e.g., cries of (as you said) "they only got the job because they're _____," or in some cases causing a person to think, "did I really only get the job because I'm _____" and making them doubt their self-worth.

It's not that most people making these programs didn't have good intentions, mind you. Almost all the time, they do.

It seems that we largely share the same opinion, that "privilege" is an outdated word that doesn't apply to the vast majority of the population based on things like race or gender, and that's really the point I'm trying to get across.

The other point would be, I guess, that even if you are lucky enough to be "privileged" by being born into class and wealth, it doesn't really make ya a bad person, or mean that you have to equalize everything so that you're just as poor as every other schmuck.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

kinga750 wrote:
If you really think that 1% of the population constitutes racism in any form, you're a fucking moron. Sorry. That's just reality.


I think we are misunderstanding each other, but I'm sorry you think I'm a moron. Let's end it there

Reading comprehension? I said "If you really think that 1% of the population constitutes racism in any form, you're a fucking moron."

If I misunderstand you, then I don't think that. If you truly believe this, then yes, I think you are definitely a moron.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

kinga750 wrote:

Gender is a whole different beast. In a lot of ways it's a more complex and subtle subject than race. I think it will continue to be a fluid issue as society changes. Of course you have extremes on either side of the debate, and the loudest voices always get noticed most. So far it's been a peaceful debate and one that both sides seem willing to engage in though, so I'm not too concerned about it.


Really? You want to go with that?
7881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SCANDINAVIA
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
The great discussion of our times is happening right now at tumblr. What you fail to realize is that they saw the truth, you just weren't enlightened enough. I truly feel shame for you but I figure you already know what that feels like.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
Rofl, I figured the video would be Anita or Zoe related.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:
That makes two of us, then. It's been my personal experience that affirmative action can worsen race relations rather than provide benefits--e.g., cries of (as you said) "they only got the job because they're _____," or in some cases causing a person to think, "did I really only get the job because I'm _____" and making them doubt their self-worth.

It's not that most people making these programs didn't have good intentions, mind you. Almost all the time, they do.

It seems that we largely share the same opinion, that "privilege" is an outdated word that doesn't apply to the vast majority of the population based on things like race or gender, and that's really the point I'm trying to get across.

The other point would be, I guess, that even if you are lucky enough to be "privileged" by being born into class and wealth, it doesn't really make ya a bad person, or mean that you have to equalize everything so that you're just as poor as every other schmuck.


Yes I agree with all of that
Posted 1/24/16
White people are so generic. Getting all the women. Women suck.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Also.... if you REALLY want to get down to privileges based on race..... trust me when I say there are a ton of benefits ONLY available to minorities etc. There are all sorts of scholarships, benefits, privileges, etc that specifically exclude white males.


Drumstick, it's not even about race or ethnicity. The way the US funds tertiary education is ineffective in general. If it pleases you I'll dig up a longer post I've made on this matter already complete with statistical research, but otherwise this shall be my standing statement. The US sucks at funding tertiary education, and has a half-brained, half-arsed way of getting people to the tertiary level.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

BlueOni wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

Also.... if you REALLY want to get down to privileges based on race..... trust me when I say there are a ton of benefits ONLY available to minorities etc. There are all sorts of scholarships, benefits, privileges, etc that specifically exclude white males.


Drumstick, it's not even about race or ethnicity. The way the US funds tertiary education is ineffective in general. If it pleases you I'll dig up a longer post I've made on this matter already complete with statistical research, but otherwise this shall be my standing statement. The US sucks at funding tertiary education, and has a half-brained, half-arsed way of getting people to the tertiary level.


No doubt. I can't say I disagree with this, but was only listing one way in which we have problems. Hell, I didn't even get started with sports scholarships, and you REALLY don't want me to do so, either.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.