First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Where do I go to cash in on my privilege?
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16
This pigeonholing nonsense goes both ways. It irritates the crap out of me when anyone uses their race or religion for their failures in life but some of these stereotypes on here are ridiculous. I am black and never had "free stuff"like some of these moronic post assume. I knew I wanted to be an architect since I was 17 and was beyond broke. I have many brothers and sisters and didn't want to ask my parents for a dime for education. I didn't have scholarships and had very minimal aid. Think 250-500 per semester for a 14k per semester tuition. My loans wouldn't cover the entire tuition and I had to take a year off. I worked the entire time I went to school and walked 5 miles each way to work and didn't have a cellphone. This allowed me to save 15k a year for tuition and transportation to New York City(2hrs each way, $100 a week).I graduated with a 5 year BA in architecture and have a career in the field. Also, I owe 50k in loans, I'd do it again in a heartbeat and am thankful that I was able to progress my dream a little further.

When I was in school, my professors would always tell me that I'm going to go far in architecture. Getting out of school was rough though, job market, loss of a parent weeks before graduation,in an un ideal area all added up. I went to countless interviews and landed my first job. I remember their was a co worker who was no more than 19 years old who was the graphics guy their. He said to me one day, "you only have this job because your black"...This was a job below my skill level and training, I gave it my all and this idiot acts like I was given something.

I also remember when I was on the way to one of my interviews after graduation. I parked my car on the side of the street to prep for the interview and noticed a cop car had followed me. He never pulled me over, he simply just nervously looking at me. I decide if he wasn't going to pull me over, I was going to the parking lot of the job. I drive up the street and park, then get out the car. He starts pacing fast towards me and sees me wearing a suit from 30 or so feet away. When he sees the suit, he gets in his car and leaves. I've been pulled over before and harassed in a cab, "randomly selected" for gun searches on a few occasions. To anyone who doesn't think profiling exist, ask any minority you know and you'll hear a different story.

Where I will agree with some is that your race isn't an excuse for lack of success in life. We all have plenty examples of people who've made it on far less. In saying that, I also acknowledge that when it comes to law enforcement and perception of the public, race is a factor. A long winded story, but I've finally found a job that I like in my field
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
8025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Naked in a pine tree
Offline
Posted 1/24/16


It's white cis male supremacist privilege that you can sit on a chair on a forum posting about being here just for the comments. DESPICABLE!!

10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
9299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16
To add to the comment at the top of the page, iam white and i have been harassed by police many times. Admittedly not so much as a grown man but as a teen we were always getting questioned and searched by police.
But hey when you dress in a certian way and hang out in groups or at night it happens, no matter what race you are.
I also have experienced being handled very roughly by police more than once. I was arrested and the cops lied like hell in court.

But i guess it's probably ture that you would suspect a black man or being a criminal more than a white man. I only ever really got harassed by cops when i was out late or in groups or drunk, not just in day light or sober or anything.

But apparently here in OZ the blacks and Arabs and Indians and that get HELL government support/aid and cheaper loans and they get priority to housing trust homes and cheaper or free education and etc

And i have seen them pull the race card and the me no sepak English bullshit.
I talk with my Asian mates and they dont get the extra benifits, Europeans and that dont/didn't either.

My brother was working in security and kept copping the "white cunt" abuse from Aborigines, he repleid with a "black cunt" comment, the reaction is so funny. Like dis belief.
I've copped plenty of it myself.

Anyways i dont know, i just get tired of this myth that white people have everything so easy and dont have any problems and dont cop racisim and that only white people are racist.

We all human yo, religion seperates, race should'nt.

3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

kamahl01 wrote:

This pigeonholing nonsense goes both ways. It irritates the crap out of me when anyone uses their race or religion for their failures in life but some of these stereotypes on here are ridiculous.


We're one and the same mind.


kamahl01 wrote:

I am black and never had "free stuff"like some of these moronic post assume.

Stop right there and show me one post in this entire thread that has equated blacks to wanting free stuff. Or even implied it.

I've followed all the posts in this thread since I created it and can safely say that there are none (unless someone's made an edit I didn't catch).

Do not point out racism when there is none. It's distasteful, and aggravating.

{[EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION] If you mean HolyDrumstick talking about the "ignorant ghetto black folks" who shoot white people in Compton, then I hope you're realizing who he's talking about, and that it's not the race as a whole.}


kamahl01 wrote:

I knew I wanted to be an architect since I was 17 and was beyond broke. I have many brothers and sisters and didn't want to ask my parents for a dime for education. I didn't have scholarships and had very minimal aid. Think 250-500 per semester for a 14k per semester tuition. My loans wouldn't cover the entire tuition and I had to take a year off. I worked the entire time I went to school and walked 5 miles each way to work and didn't have a cellphone. This allowed me to save 15k a year for tuition and transportation to New York City(2hrs each way, $100 a week).I graduated with a 5 year BA in architecture and have a career in the field. Also, I owe 50k in loans, I'd do it again in a heartbeat and am thankful that I was able to progress my dream a little further.


We all have our stories. Hell, mine would take several posts (hell, several threads) and encompass thirty-eight states.


kamahl01 wrote:

When I was in school, my professors would always tell me that I'm going to go far in architecture. Getting out of school was rough though, job market, loss of a parent weeks before graduation,in an un ideal area all added up. I went to countless interviews and landed my first job. I remember their was a co worker who was no more than 19 years old who was the graphics guy their. He said to me one day, "you only have this job because your black"...This was a job below my skill level and training, I gave it my all and this idiot acts like I was given something.

Then he was an asshole. Even if I worked with you AND I thought you were underskilled, I'd not have been an ass enough to say that you just got the job because you're black.

YOu seem to be thinking anyone here has claimed that racism doesn't exist. It does. And affirmative action is what causes quite a lot of resentment from both the majority and minority, the former who could tend to think as you experienced, and the latter who often wonder the exact same thing.


kamahl01 wrote:

I also remember when I was on the way to one of my interviews after graduation. I parked my car on the side of the street to prep for the interview and noticed a cop car had followed me. He never pulled me over, he simply just nervously looking at me. I decide if he wasn't going to pull me over, I was going to the parking lot of the job. I drive up the street and park, then get out the car. He starts pacing fast towards me and sees me wearing a suit from 30 or so feet away. When he sees the suit, he gets in his car and leaves.


And you automatically think, "ERMAGAWD RACIAL STEREOTYPE!" just because a cop who couldn't even see you well enough to see the suit, much less your race, FOLLOWED YOU FOR A BIT?

Jesus Christ man, do you honestly believe this doesn't happen to white people? Get off your high horse. It happened to me and my mother just tonight when I was taking her back to her house from dinner. Should I assume he thought I was a terrorist since I've got a glorious beard?


kamahl01 wrote:

I've been pulled over before and harassed in a cab, "randomly selected" for gun searches on a few occasions. To anyone who doesn't think profiling exist, ask any minority you know and you'll hear a different story.


And if this is what they consider "profiling," then yeah, they're full of shit.


kamahl01 wrote:

Where I will agree with some is that your race isn't an excuse for lack of success in life. We all have plenty examples of people who've made it on far less. In saying that, I also acknowledge that when it comes to law enforcement and perception of the public, race is a factor. A long winded story, but I've finally found a job that I like in my field


I'm sorry, but everything you've said here happens to white folk, black folk, green folk, and polka-dotted folk.

There is racism that exists, yeah. One of the last places I lived was THE most racist place I've ever been, but it was towards whites. (Fort Peck Indian Reservation, Poplar, MT. Horrible place, never go there.) There are skinheads that think blacks should be property, or worse--entire gangs of them--in other places I've been. There's Harlem.

But those are choices made by individuals, not hurdles of society as you claim.
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

The media can't shove it down my throat even if they want to when I can't even afford cable TV


Neither can I. Does that make me oppressed?


That sounds more like a privilege to me
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
2016.


Converting precious privilege into currency instead of gold for the post-Apocalypse after Trump Makes Anime Real and we are forced to wage war with genetically engineered catgirls and giant robots.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

maxgale wrote:

2016.


Converting precious privilege into currency instead of gold for the post-Apocalypse after Trump Makes Anime Real and we are forced to wage war with genetically engineered catgirls and giant robots.


I take the cat-girls, and you get the robots? That sound fair?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:
{[EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION] If you mean HolyDrumstick talking about the "ignorant ghetto black folks" who shoot white people in Compton, then I hope you're realizing who he's talking about, and that it's not the race as a whole.}


Yeah, that's exactly why I emphasized the ignorant ghetto part. I wanted people to understand I was talking about a particular group within the race, not the race as a whole.

The entire situation could easily be inverted, and it could be black people going into the wrong neighborhood with a bunch of ignorant racist white trash. Not that all white trash is racist, but... I think you get the point.

The point of that statement was that violence from one group to another, based on race, in no way helps or improves the discussion. I was just being a bit of a dick about it. The second point was that violence happens from all types of people against all types of people, and that this is only evidence of human nature, not a rotten society as a whole. Of course, much of that was implied, but still.

Anyway, YES the reason I stressed the ignorant ghetto part is because the fact is that much of that particular group is the way they are due to being ignorant and from the ghetto, and nothing to do with race. The reason race was part of the discussion at all should be pretty clear.

Thanks for pointing that out to that person, Sarteck. I only wanted to go more in depth to my actual meaning in that post, just for extra clarification.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16
Man, I come from the South. The deep South at that. I've seen the way the system treats the poor and the marginalized. I ain't gonna lie, some of the most fucked up twisted shit I've witnessed is shit done by white folks.

I'm not saying being white is a demerit of character, but not realizing that most of the system is controlled by white folks and being ignorant of the way so many minorities are mistreated is.

I've lost good friends to gang violence, and I don't support any of that, but trust me, there's a reason why these kids feel like they need to get crewed up, and it's not to be cool.

White privilege is a thing.

I can't tell you how many times some redneck hamplanet has told me to go back to my country or learn the language. I dont even have a reply to that. I'm Native American, I just speak some spanish because I work in a fucking chicken plant.
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Online
Posted 1/24/16
XD all dis white privilege. We should get a points card for everytime we breath we can collect points, and it lowers our taxes on purchases.

I got soo much white privilege I don't know what to do with it all, plez halp.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16 , edited 1/24/16

AkitoMadaka wrote:

Man, I come from the South. The deep South at that. I've seen the way the system treats the poor and the marginalized. I ain't gonna lie, some of the most fucked up twisted shit I've witnessed is shit done by white folks.

I'm not saying being white is a demerit of character, but not realizing that most of the system is controlled by white folks and being ignorant of the way so many minorities are mistreated is.

I've lost good friends to gang violence, and I don't support any of that, but trust me, there's a reason why these kids feel like they need to get crewed up, and it's not to be cool.

White privilege is a thing.

I can't tell you how many times some redneck hamplanet has told me to go back to my country or learn the language. I dont even have a reply to that. I'm Native American, I just speak some spanish because I work in a fucking chicken plant.


I used to live next to you in Dahlonega, and only 22 miles away from you, I can say the we didn't have anything of the sort.

We had individual racists, not a system or culture against marginalized groups.

And the overwhelmingly vast majority of people were fucking drooling over anyone with Native blood. I can vouch for this because for the majority of my young life, we traveled around the US, somewhere different every week, doing pow-wows (selling shit, dancing, and singling). Only during the winter did we take a break, and it was always in the SOutheast, and usually right in Georgia where we finally settled down before I left for the Navy.

And if you are in Georgia and don't know English, I certainly have to ask what fucking Rez you are from.


[EDIT] In fact, my mother and father bought weed from a Indian guy there in Gainesville all the time. We also sometimes did pow-wows with him.

[DOUBLE EDIT] Uh... Don't tell me you're related to Kipp and Berkey....
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
You have a better chance at winning the Oscars
16761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

On a serious note.... Can someone actually explain how I have benefits for being a white male. Like seriously.

Because I don't feel like I've got a red carpet on life or anything.


If we HAVE to get serious... You don't.

Privilege and benefits don't come from race or gender nowadays (in the Western world, anyhow). It's all socio-economic status. Basically, how rich you and those around you are.

If you're poor (no matter how much melanin you have in your skin or how much flesh hangs between your legs), you're just as under-privileged as the other poor guy behind you who is also buying 12-pack Ramen at Kroger.


Fuckign cucklord being able to afford ramen! I got to buy spagetti, sauce, then season it to make it taste good. I can't even afford the pre-made stuff! My white privlidge isn't working where do I get more money from it?1!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.