First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply The 1%
Posted 1/25/16

sarteck wrote:

>Why would I give a fuck about reality when I can substitute my own?

Oh. You're one of those.

Okay, nevermind. No getting through to you.

As soon as I bring myself down to the intellectual level of an average American, you say "Oh, you're one of those. No getting through to you." That's just, so wonderfully timed, thank you.

82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Hrafna wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:

a lazy person

You can do a lazy ass job, like the fuckers who built and refurbished my house, where in the kitchen I've got 3 layers of paneling because they figured why take the old paneling down before we put up the new one, like, just to save time so they could go jerk off or something, but there's no such thing as a lazy person. A lazy person, the person you're calling undeserving (of living?), is a person who's struggling with depression. So, you're basically saying, that if you're struggling with depression, that if you're sad and upset, if you're hurt, and in pain, and alone and have nobody, just go kill yourself because you're worthless.


Oh, how naive you are. There are most certainly lazy people, ones who are not struggling with depression. Typically it is because of selfishness. And even if a person was struggling with depression, that is no excuse to be lazy. They need to get over it. Whether they need to get therapy, medication, or increase their physical activity, they need to do whatever the can to get over it. Increasing ones physical/mental activity and doing some work, getting things accomplished, is one of the best therapies for depression anyway.
Posted 1/25/16

ishe5555 wrote:

Oh, how naive you are. There are most certainly lazy people, ones who are not struggling with depression. Typically it is because of selfishness. And even if a person was struggling with depression, that is no excuse to be lazy. They need to get over it. Whether they need to get therapy, medication, or increase their physical activity, they need to do whatever the can to get over it. Increasing ones physical/mental activity and doing some work, getting things accomplished, is one of the best therapies for depression anyway.

We don't have to erase the word lazy if you really want to keep it in your vocabulary, but if you're going to apply it, then at least apply it correctly, to a person who does not do a thorough job, a.k.a., a lazy job. When you apply it to a person, you're implying that there is no reason behind this person's behavior, as if there's no causation at all. "Oh, he's just inherently lazy." No, there's a reason why they're like that. There's always going to be reason. If you sit down in a chair, and go "Nah, I don't want to do it," then think about why you don't want to fucking do it, and don't stop thinking just because you got to the answer "I'm tired," why are you tired? There's a reason why you're tired.

Depression is a bit like being exhausted, while you're on a mountain, in Norway, alone, in the middle of January. You fall over, and you lie there, thinking to yourself "Hmm, maybe I should get up. After all, I'm on a fucking mountain, in Norway, in the middle of January. Oh, but it's so comfortable here in the snow," and then you fall asleep, and die of hypothermia. THAT is what depression is like. THAT is what it's like for the MAJORITY of people whom you comb under "lazy" "without reason" and that all they would have to do, and I'm quoting a caricature here, is to just "stop being sad, and be awesome instead."

You would have to be an extremely uninformed, ignorant, dare I say a tremendously stupid person, to think that someone could just be "lazy" "without reason", and that telling them to "get off their lazy asses" is a solution. It is not a productive contribution of yours, on the contrary, it's impractical, as you will most likely, no, most definitely, make the situation worse. You're not... agh, you know what? Just, fuck it. I remember, I lost interest in this a long time ago. It isn't going anywhere.
82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Hrafna wrote:

We don't have to erase the word lazy if you really want to keep it in your vocabulary, but if you're going to apply it, then at least apply it correctly, to a person who does not do a thorough job, a.k.a., a lazy job. When you apply it to a person, you're implying that there is no reason behind this person's behavior, as if there's no causation at all. "Oh, he's just inherently lazy." No, there's a reason why they're like that. There's always going to be reason. If you sit down in a chair, and go "Nah, I don't want to do it," then think about why you don't want to fucking do it, and don't stop thinking just because you got to the answer "I'm tired," why are you tired? There's a reason why you're tired.

Depression is a bit like being exhausted, while you're on a mountain, in Norway, alone, in the middle of January. You fall over, and you lie there, thinking to yourself "Hmm, maybe I should get up. After all, I'm on a fucking mountain, in Norway, in the middle of January. Oh, but it's so comfortable here in the snow," and then you fall asleep, and die of hypothermia. THAT is what depression is like. THAT is what it's like for the MAJORITY of people whom you comb under "lazy" "without reason" and that all they would have to do, and I'm quoting a caricature here, is to just "stop being sad, and be awesome instead."

You would have to be an extremely uninformed, ignorant, dare I say a tremendously stupid person, to think that someone could just be "lazy" "without reason", and that telling them to "get off their lazy asses" is a solution. It is not a productive contribution of yours, on the contrary, it's impractical, as you will most likely, no, most definitely, make the situation worse. You're not... agh, you know what? Just, fuck it. I remember, I lost interest in this a long time ago. It isn't going anywhere.


Who said there is no reason. Just because there is a reason doesn't mean it isn't lazy. It doesn't have to be because they are "tired" either. It could be just because there is no incentive to do otherwise. An example, is that I have known several female coworkers that had husbands who didn't work, because they stay at home playing video games all day. When their wife gets home, they still have to cook and clean, because their husband doesn't do anything. Are they depressed? Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Are they addicted to games? Possibly, but that is not necessarily the reason either. Humans, like all living things are self centered in their nature. Typically, that extends to those we care about, because maintaining the connection is important to our emotional well-being. However, some people take advantage of others, if allows them to shirk whatever responsibilities they may have, not only for their family, but even for themselves.
8974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Minne-snow-ta!
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
I wish I was part of the 1% along with other people who I think truly deserves it (like scientists, etc.), but then it would increase that percentage slightly...
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Whenever I see people seriously complaining about the 1%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1Nb2Upe4c
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.