First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Thinking about developing a debate platform...
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
So yeah. I work as a Systems Administrator. I oversee a bunch of servers, third shift. Sometimes, while I wait for a task to finish, I watch a bunch of CrunchyRoll, hah.

To get and keep the job, I've had to keep a programming background so that I had a general idea of how things were run. This isn't to say that I develop any software, it's just to say that I can point out which pieces are doing what.

My main strengths lie in PHP, MySQL, and BASH, with decent knowledge of an array of other things to help do whatever I need to do when I need to do it.

Now that my credentials are out of the way...

I'm considering developing a new plugin/addon/app/whatever for Google Hangouts.

I was going to see if (like most major social networks) it has a series of API calls that I can use to accomplish the following:

"Debate Moderator" uses Plugin.
Assigns following values:
--Number of Debaters
--Length of main topic per debater: (e.g.: "5 minutes", "10 minutes" "10-15 minutes")
--Interruptions* allowed per 5 minutes per topic (e.g. "0" "1" "9999")
--Interruption Length (e.g.: "2 minutes", "4 minutes" "3-5 minutes")
--Number of extra topics** (e.g. "0" "2" "12")
--Length of extra topics per debater: (e.g.: "5 minutes", "10 minutes" "10-15 minutes")

*Interruptions is when (one of) the opposing debater(s) "buzzes" in to bring up a related point which must be briefly discussed to get main points across about it

**Topics -or- extra time to rebutt previous "main topics", open statement, closing, etc.

-----------------------------

A Moderator chooses who goes first.

That person states their point of view for a specified time.

Another Debater may choose to "buzz in" at a time where they want to open up a point of contention.

--Both/All parties briefly discuss (and try to conclude discussions) about contention.

--More debaters can "buzz in" later.

--These "Interruptions" are optional.

Debater finishes. Moderator chooses next debater.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

---------------------------------

I would have the app basically handle all control automatically, with the Moderator Options to override as necessary.

Anyone feel like helping me with conceptualization, pseudo-code, coding, testing, or debating on Google Hangouts?
Posted 1/24/16
I don't see why you people want to debate in real time, when half of you don't do your research BEFORE you have a debate about it. I can appreciate devil's advocate for the sake of it, but this is just taking a side before you know the facts.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't see why you people want to debate in real time, when half of you don't do your research BEFORE you have a debate about it. I can appreciate devil's advocate for the sake of it, but this is just taking a side before you know the facts.


^^;

I'm not sure what you're thinking about the reasons behind this development, but it's certainly not so that I can debate people. I'm terribad at speaking in real life, and couldn't debate my way out of a wet paper sack.

I want to develop this so that people who can actually debate have a nice easy controlled format to do it in, where every second counts to get across their points succinctly and counter their opponents.

I'd like eventually for even famous YouTubers to try it out. I just like coding shit, that's all.

So this doesn't really sound like something you should be mad about, by the very words of your own post.
Posted 1/24/16

sarteck wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't see why you people want to debate in real time, when half of you don't do your research BEFORE you have a debate about it. I can appreciate devil's advocate for the sake of it, but this is just taking a side before you know the facts.


^^;

I'm not sure what you're thinking about the reasons behind this development, but it's certainly not so that I can debate people. I'm terribad at speaking in real life, and couldn't debate my way out of a wet paper sack.

I want to develop this so that people who can actually debate have a nice easy controlled format to do it in, where every second counts to get across their points succinctly and counter their opponents.

I'd like eventually for even famous YouTubers to try it out. I just like coding shit, that's all.

So this doesn't really sound like something you should be mad about, by the very words of your own post.


I just wanted to speak my thoughts out about the needs of an app to debate in real time when I feel half of the turn by turn debates essentially includes searching up links that'll verify your source instead of basing your views on reliable sources. It essentially is me bitching aboutt he first thought that came to mind concerning real time debate, which essentially is "what grinds my gears".


Although, I suppose such an app would feature better mass debaters who actually do their research. Sorry.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
You should set a given topic. Then, give a certain date when to do the debate so everyone have done their research, gathered evidences, and acquired witnesses/professionals on a given field.



-- deny every credibility --




13151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkjDuSVXiE

I have a feeling this wouldn't go great...
Posted 1/24/16
Debate is war. Without weapons.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I just wanted to speak my thoughts out about the needs of an app to debate in real time when I feel half of the turn by turn debates essentially includes searching up links that'll verify your source instead of basing your views on reliable sources. It essentially is me bitching aboutt he first thought that came to mind concerning real time debate, which essentially is "what grinds my gears".


Although, I suppose such an app would feature better mass debaters who actually do their research. Sorry. :(


No worries, maybe it was because I was going off in that Trump thread or something, hahahaha.

Naw, not everyone debates like that. I've seen some really good debates, even ones done by professionals, and since it's something I've been interested in lately (Google hangouts that is, not debates), I wanted to try to code an app for it.

Kind of like when I was into Tumblr, I coded an app just for the hell of it. You would sing into you Tumblr account, use the app to create "Triple Triad" card (yes, from Final Fantasy VIII) of whatever character you wanted (I was programming it then for My Little Pony, but it can accept any types of characters). It would then be entered into the database. You could then receive "cards" of yours (and others) characters and play against other people. Had a "card level up" system, a set of tiers, a nice little chatbox I created (as in built from scratch, not one of those clunky modules you see), supported board sizes from 3x3 on up to 8x8 with option for team play.

I actually adapted it from the same thing I programmed for a Bleach fan forum I used to admin, but that I'm finally shutting down after years of inactivity. The theme there was "any anime character." That one didn't have as muh options as I programmed into the Tumblr version, though, not by a long shot.

Only reason I coded it was because I wanted to code something people would use and that would help me hone muh skills.
16847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
I don't use google hangouts nor do I like it. Plus I don't like the idea of integrating a google product into something that could be done without google. Pass.

Personally I don't see why time restrictions should be implemented when time is not a constraint.
27355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 1/24/16
I'm not sure I understand the need for a real time debate on the Internet either.
Posted 1/24/16
*adds to list of websites to avoid like the plague*
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16
Sounds like a better platform for candidates to debate.

I know nothing about coding, but it sounds like something I may watch.

I like the idea about setting debates up a week or so in advance so people could gather research. Someone else said this, I think. That would be much better, I think.

You could also have different debate teams and "positions" in the teams. Like each team leader would do most of the speaking, but the other members could have a limited number of buzz-ins to support the ideas. Teams wouldn't necessarily have to do much if any cooperating, and could research independently. Depending on how strict the limitations were, that could get messy. You could also have it set up where the team leaders/ primary debaters could take on topics a couple of weeks in advance, and then could break their argument into pieces and let people sign up and be approved as supporting debaters.

If you REALLY wanted to make into something crazy good, you could also do a voice debate system where one debater was unmuted at a time. Others could buzz in, and then be unmuted by the moderator. One person unmuted at a time, so no interruptions or people talking over someone. Then, once you had that system in place, get some popular (as popular as you can) youtubers (not the stupid kind, the educational kind) to participate and they'll do their own advertising. That's free advertising for you. I'm sure there are plenty who are dying to have some hard conversations with each other. Also, gathering people who've already researched the info will cut down on the stupid.

Next thing you know, people are watching/listening to the debate streams and they're all up on youtube for later viewing. It hits it big... AND people are learning and growing from this. You've just made the world a better place AND earned a pretty penny.

But, Sarteck, remember me when you hit it big.... I'm not expecting handouts, but when you start having to hire a staff, at least offer me a position. I mean, even I can fetch coffee.


I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating with all of this, but I'm so dead serious. It could be huge. It could be a thing. So, if you don't have dreams... I will do the dreaming for you, buddy.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

melodyXXnur wrote:

Debate is war. Without weapons.


nah son. words are weapons
Posted 1/24/16

Sogno- wrote:


melodyXXnur wrote:

Debate is war. Without weapons.


nah son. words are weapons


I'm not a son . And yeah quite agree with you. Words are murderous.
16847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 1/24/16

melodyXXnur wrote:


Sogno- wrote:


melodyXXnur wrote:

Debate is war. Without weapons.


nah son. words are weapons


I'm not a son . And yeah quite agree with you. Words are murderous.


Words start wars sonny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

tl;dr Napoleon busy fucking up Europe, nobody to beat down berber states, berbers start harassing American ships. Initially America offers money to have safe passage, tolls increase yearly. Eventually Thomas Jefferson takes office and tells them to fuck off. Berbers declare war, proceed to get fucked by 'murica.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.