First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Schadenfreude - I want to see you fail
Posted 1/25/16
makes me think of a German user on another forum who gloats about having unreleased songs from artists which everyone wants to have (and won't give them to anyone)
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Unless you can fix the mindsets of people who are trolling then you might as well learn to grow thick skin or not bother wasting time with them. Laws and the like can only skew or put a "band aid" on it as you put it. Much like many problems in this day and age the problem lies with the person as the root cause.
16841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Ejanss wrote:

We have a good grasp on what exactly is "trolling" whenever this forum brings out the "fishing"meme. Ohh, if only a good few years' worth of posters on Usenet, back in the day, could have so easily grasped the basic concept that maybe Bad People On the Internet were not all they appeared to be.

As for the proliferation on Facebook and social media, that's what you get for trying to get all your Net content in one convenient one-stop-shopping location.
It's the Youtube Comments factor: The more universal the access, and the more undefined the topic, the more riff-raff you'll get wandering in off of the anonymous locations.
(Just look at the disparity between CR General and Anime threads: What kind of person has nothing in particular to talk about, and tries to stay in conversations anyway?)

I think the problem is that there's a new generation of people who have never been taught about how to use the Internet. Not just them, but there's also people my age and older, those who may have not been taught about what it's like to use the Internet, especially the "dangers" that exist out there. Basically, the Internet is not a safe space, because there are millions of people out there, each of whom have different outlooks and opinions.

I don't know my Internet terminology, but I always thought that a "troll" was some lowly little sh!t who said and did things to get reactions out of people, all on account of because (or, to be precise, "for the lulz"). I dislike trolls as much as the next person, but they're not really something to take so seriously. The best way to deal with trolls is to not interact with them. Per my experience, when you interact with a troll, he's just going to keep doing things to aggravate you, usually because he's ignoring everything you're saying to him. So, then, why is this person being a troll? There is no reason. There is no "why". 99% of the time, there is no need to take the troll seriously. Just ignore the troll and go about your life from there.
But no. And I hate to bring up the abbreviation "SJW" again, but I noticed that trolling has been redefined by people who adhere to social justice politics. It has now come to the point where people are trying to get governments involved to put a stop to trolling. If I remember correctly, New Zealand has passed some laws that make trolling a criminal offense. I don't know how deep it goes, but that's got to be a bullsh!t deal for New Zealanders in general.

I do believe the Internet has come a long way, especially when you look at how Internet forums were back in the late 90's. That must've been the "Wild West" era that people speak of....which, sadly, I have very little experience with. My first Internet experience wasn't a baptism by fire, and I guess I have near f*ck-all experience with trolls. Still, I believe the trick is to realize that the world isn't a friendly place, and you can't expect the world to cater to your feelings.

But hey. I can't tell people how to go about their lives. If my advice flies over their heads, so be it.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
I'm not interested in trolling on the internet and what complete strangers online are doing doesn't affect me. But I do find myself wishing people I actually know to fail and fail hard.
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16

Gross1985 wrote:
I do believe the Internet has come a long way, especially when you look at how Internet forums were back in the late 90's. That must've been the "Wild West" era that people speak of....which, sadly, I have very little experience with. My first Internet experience wasn't a baptism by fire, and I guess I have near f*ck-all experience with trolls. Still, I believe the trick is to realize that the world isn't a friendly place, and you can't expect the world to cater to your feelings.


In the old days of Usenet, the "adrenaline thrill" of trolling (most turned out to be stoners or Howie-heads) was that you couldn't keep them out--
If someone wants to troll CR, they can't sit over on 4chan and post comments to both forums. But in the days of Usenet, you could post to multiple groups at once, if something appealed to multiple topics, so trolls would find some "safe house" group where they either attracted each other, or usually some group whose members were so angry/high-school/fanboy that you could start an argument just by throwing a pebble (Alt.games.final-fantasy was considered the legendary "safe house" across all of Internet), use that as their HQ base, literally go out in search of some nice, unassuming, law-abiding group of topic posters--usually some fantasy of overexposed-trend fanboys, like Star Trek or Marvel, who were obviously basement geeks who would stomp their feet and rage if you said bad things--and do a few deliberate Troll-Button threads to draw them out. And if they took with nice believing "Go away, you bad person, why do you say such mean things?", they would be added to the Christmas-Card list.
I remember when MST3K went off the air, the active, creatively wiseass and troll-proof group was besieged with an orchestrated troll attack saying "Well, now you're the group of a cancelled show, which means the group's going to disintegrate into a lot of fluff and personal arguments and end up conquered, so let's start the troll invasion now!" It didn't work out that way. OTOH, there were some groups (ahemanime) you could throttle and scream in their faces "They're BIG FAT SHOWOFF FAKES!!!" and they wouldn't believe it. And don't think I didn't try.
New amateur kids were not particularly subtle or successful, and the big "gold rush" at the time was to post movie spoilers they found out over on the Movie-Spoiler forums to "good" groups (this was around the time Sixth Sense was in theaters), until that forum started attracting the same crowd and those digging for gold didn't realize they were fools-gold trolling each other... Ironic.

I remember one legendary (if we can use that word, as they were very much legends in their own minds) cross-posting troll who arguably was the reigning "king" of Usenet trolls bragging to "his" groups that A&E was coming to do a documentary on him.
What he hadn't been told was that the A&E show was "Intervention", and was going to do a show on his cough-syrup addiction. He didn't take it well.
But after that, it just brought down the era. Those of us Wild West sheriffs and Clint-Eastwood troll fighters realized we'd basically been had, and all the time we had just been watching the posts of a drunk Saturday night.

And then, of course, the death of Usenet kicked in just a year or two afterwards. Sort of had it coming by that point.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

94 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
in the trash
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16
this thread reminded of this comment that was left on an old edit I did back on my old DA account http://comments.deviantart.com/1/187870328/1762341063 what's funny I wasn't even trolling in the first place.

also the replies are a trip.
8632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

dragontackle wrote:

I swear people are bitches. If you(not you OP, just speaking in general) cant handle a bit of insults then get the fuck off the internet.


This is correct.
16841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

nebudelic wrote:
this thread reminded of this comment that was left on an old edit I did back on my old DA account http://comments.deviantart.com/1/187870328/1762341063 what's funny I wasn't even trolling in the first place.

also the replies are a trip.

Wow. Getting all pissy on account of the Trollface. Seriously; if that were me saying "I hate trolls," and someone responded with just that image, I'd laugh. Seriously. It's the Trollface. Do you not look at it and become unable to control your laughter?

Alas, the Internet is srs bns.....or whatever it's called. "Serious business". I'm convinced that the thinner-skinned are making it more serious than it should be. "Oh my God someone posted a Trollface on my Twitter I'm taking this to the UN!!"



Saemonza wrote:

dragontackle wrote:
I swear people are bitches. If you(not you OP, just speaking in general) cant handle a bit of insults then get the fuck off the internet.

This is correct.

Seconded.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Gross1985 wrote:

I don't know my Internet terminology, but I always thought that a "troll" was some lowly little sh!t who said and did things to get reactions out of people, all on account of because (or, to be precise, "for the lulz"). I dislike trolls as much as the next person, but they're not really something to take so seriously. The best way to deal with trolls is to not interact with them. Per my experience, when you interact with a troll, he's just going to keep doing things to aggravate you, usually because he's ignoring everything you're saying to him. So, then, why is this person being a troll? There is no reason. There is no "why". 99% of the time, there is no need to take the troll seriously. Just ignore the troll and go about your life from there.

No. A troll is someone who purposefully and successfully flames or pisses people off. People who try to piss others off but aren't able to do so are called losers. A person who says retarded things because they're retarded is an idiot. Unfortunately, people are called all three because they have a difference of opinion. So, the improper word usage is usually being thrown around by the many ignorant bigots that populate our world.

Troll, like so many other buzzwords, has lost it's connotation, and is just a word you throw at someone because they disagree with you, much like the acronym, SJW. However, the original meaning is still there, it' just that if you know what the word actually means and know that the person is using it improperly then you should shrug it off as the word has lost its power.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16
Once known as a Troll,

A Creature that can capture bridges without those on it knowing or they are taken with the stream.

Seek people they can lure into the stream and ending up as bait.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
I don't even know what the discussion is about, just read the last few posts, wanted to give my own input.

As we can all agree, "troll" is a subjective word, meaning that it can mean different things to a lot of us, due to its use as Internet slang.

With that in mind, this is my opinion of what trolls are.

Trolls are, as Gross mentioned, those who enjoy getting a reaction out of people. Often, they'll be assholes just to be assholes, play Devil's Advocate, or do whatever else is in their power to piss you off. Online, this is usually done to provoke you into saying something stupid, which we all do when we are angry, and they'll use that to further emotionally abuse you.

Furthermore, trolls are not always trolls. They take on the persona of a troll according to specific conditions, variable among individuals. He could "go trolling every day after homework" or "troll on the weekends when she's off work" or "troll when socializing with a specific group off friends" or what have you.

Sometimes, people troll just to blow off steam.

I love going to the chans, shitposting with a lot of guys, having some complete newfag come in and expect to be taken seriously. Whenever I see that, I pounce on it, and I shitpost and troll until I get bored. Because it's fun.

Does that make me a troll? Yeah, but MOST of the time, I'm a decent guy. Here, I don't act like I act on the chans, because it's a different society.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

sarteck wrote:

I don't even know what the discussion is about, just read the last few posts, wanted to give my own input.

As we can all agree, "troll" is a subjective word, meaning that it can mean different things to a lot of us, due to its use as Internet slang.

With that in mind, this is my opinion of what trolls are.

Trolls are, as Gross mentioned, those who enjoy getting a reaction out of people. Often, they'll be assholes just to be assholes, play Devil's Advocate, or do whatever else is in their power to piss you off. Online, this is usually done to provoke you into saying something stupid, which we all do when we are angry, and they'll use that to further emotionally abuse you.

Furthermore, trolls are not always trolls. They take on the persona of a troll according to specific conditions, variable among individuals. He could "go trolling every day after homework" or "troll on the weekends when she's off work" or "troll when socializing with a specific group off friends" or what have you.

Sometimes, people troll just to blow off steam.

I love going to the chans, shitposting with a lot of guys, having some complete newfag come in and expect to be taken seriously. Whenever I see that, I pounce on it, and I shitpost and troll until I get bored. Because it's fun.

Does that make me a troll? Yeah, but MOST of the time, I'm a decent guy. Here, I don't act like I act on the chans, because it's a different society.

That's why words shouldn't be regarded with loose definitions. You have to be at least somewhat smart in order to be a troll. People going around attempting to troll when they're literally not able to because they don't know how to manipulate someone else's emotions do not deserve to be called what they're trying so hard to be called. You're only gratifying their wishes and making them feel as if they have successfully done what they are trying to do.

People who are successful in trolling should be told so, let them have their 'hehe haha' moment, and then you should go about your day. At the end of the day, you've only lost when you let a troll get to your emotions.

As Gross said, you should leave people who are trolling alone because they are only going to keep trolling you until you leave. People who are trying to troll should probably be told that they're making an ass of themself and then left alone, but calling them a troll just means that you've let them win even though they're closer to being an ass than they are to being a troll by the original meaning of the word.

I've been called a troll. I can troll if I feel like it, but I generally refrain from doing so unless the person is deserving, so generally the term has been used incorrectly on me. And, from what I've seen, you're not a troll based off of how the word was originally used.

And the supposed discussion probably goes back a few weeks when OP learned that people on the internet don't agree with her on a lot of things.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

And the supposed discussion probably goes back a few weeks when OP learned that people on the internet don't agree with her on a lot of things.


Is OP, by any chance, Anita Sarkeesian?

[EDIT] But no... If anyone ever wants to discover the true meaning of trolling, or at least get a good grasp on ths subject, I recommend just hanging around the chans for a while. Be disgusted if you want, but just lurk there several months. Hell, even post if you want to. You'll be able to more definitively hae an image of what trolling is all about, instead of a one-sided view.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
sarteck wrote
You just said the name, "the one you know"... flames inbound!

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.