First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Schadenfreude - I want to see you fail
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

sarteck wrote
You just said the name, "the one you know"... flames inbound!



I can say "Voldemort" instead of "She Who Must Not Be Named." But you're right, shouldn't just post that, so edited some substance in.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

sarteck wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

And the supposed discussion probably goes back a few weeks when OP learned that people on the internet don't agree with her on a lot of things.


Is OP, by any chance, Anita Sarkeesian?

I have my suspicions.

27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16
Sounds 120% like me. I like to see people who deserve it get hurt and fail. I'm not the one dishing it out if I don't think they deserve it, though.

But, yeah, disagreeing with someone doesn't make you a troll just because the other person calls you a troll. I may be wrong, but I'm getting the idea that you think there's this agreement that you're the troll when someone calls you a troll? Doesn't sound right to me.

I still think trolling is something done deliberately to elicit a certain negative response. Some people just can't handle criticism or disagreement. There's no such thing as an unintentional troll. There's a specific intent and an action that successfully materializes it. An intent to disagree isn't enough. It's an intent to disagree in a way that makes it knowingly likely the target will respond a certain way + success at provoking such a response that results in a successful trolling. And people who go about doing this on purpose are trolls.

I think it's different from shitposting, which is pretty much just wild and unintelligible babbling.

At some point, though, both get old. A bit of these is amusing but when thread after thread degenerate into name-calling, it gets boring.


sarteck wrote:
...Anita Sarkeesian?

Sarkeesian is a crazy nutcase. Don't be shy about saying it.
Posted 1/25/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Gross1985 wrote:

I don't know my Internet terminology, but I always thought that a "troll" was some lowly little sh!t who said and did things to get reactions out of people, all on account of because (or, to be precise, "for the lulz"). I dislike trolls as much as the next person, but they're not really something to take so seriously. The best way to deal with trolls is to not interact with them. Per my experience, when you interact with a troll, he's just going to keep doing things to aggravate you, usually because he's ignoring everything you're saying to him. So, then, why is this person being a troll? There is no reason. There is no "why". 99% of the time, there is no need to take the troll seriously. Just ignore the troll and go about your life from there.

No. A troll is someone who purposefully and successfully flames or pisses people off. People who try to piss others off but aren't able to do so are called losers. A person who says retarded things because they're retarded is an idiot. Unfortunately, people are called all three because they have a difference of opinion. So, the improper word usage is usually being thrown around by the many ignorant bigots that populate our world.

Troll, like so many other buzzwords, has lost it's connotation, and is just a word you throw at someone because they disagree with you, much like the acronym, SJW. However, the original meaning is still there, it' just that if you know what the word actually means and know that the person is using it improperly then you should shrug it off as the word has lost its power.


Must I educate you again telling lies?

troll1/trōl/
noun
a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.
troll2/trōl/
verb
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
sing (something) in a happy and carefree way.
walk; stroll.
noun
a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.


That's it. And while you guys make it sound like an art to be respected with lies and deception (and I've seen it made to look chivalrous and refined), a troll boils down to the bottom of the barrel to the top of the ladder. How "well" you troll, doesn't make you more or less of a troll; if you troll and fail you're still a troll and have successfully trolled by making deliberate and offensive online posting. Read the def, that's all you need, but by all means continue making it sound justified, reputable and respectable.

Trolls like to justify their actions like chivalrous internet vigilantes if they sense something is unpopular, and meet minimal resistance in doing so. But I stop before I view them as practicing an art. You can't troll me because I know its a one sentence definition where intelligence is irrelevant, they question are your morals, which you do not have.You're not my problem, you're someone elses problem, and will be dealt with when you slip up attacking someone like you've been in your group. Luck don't last forever, and yours will one day run out.

Anita Sarkeesian, hah. I laughed so hard.
Posted 1/25/16

Morbidhanson wrote:

Sounds 120% like me. I like to see people who deserve it get hurt and fail. I'm not the one dishing it out if I don't think they deserve it, though.

But, yeah, disagreeing with someone doesn't make you a troll just because the other person calls you a troll. I may be wrong, but I'm getting the idea that you think there's this agreement that you're the troll when someone calls you a troll? Doesn't sound right to me.

I still think trolling is something done deliberately to elicit a certain negative response. Some people just can't handle criticism or disagreement. There's no such thing as an unintentional troll. There's a specific intent and an action that successfully materializes it. An intent to disagree isn't enough. It's an intent to disagree in a way that makes it knowingly likely the target will respond a certain way + success at provoking such a response that results in a successful trolling. And people who go about doing this on purpose are trolls.

I think it's different from shitposting, which is pretty much just wild and unintelligible babbling.

At some point, though, both get old. A bit of these is amusing but when thread after thread degenerate into name-calling, it gets boring.


sarteck wrote:
...Anita Sarkeesian?

Sarkeesian is a crazy nutcase. Don't be shy about saying it.


You're right. I've messed up and done that before, but I do believe you are correct sir, there is a marked difference between the two. In the latter case, it could be simply bad delivery or even percieved as manic or psychotic, but the latter is more obvious neither one is good. :/
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

lunarxx wrote:

troll1/trōl/
noun
a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.
troll2/trōl/
verb
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
sing (something) in a happy and carefree way.
walk; stroll.
noun
a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.


I didn't ask for your neodefinition though?
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16

lunarxx wrote:

That's it. And while you guys make it sound like an art to be respected with lies and deception (and I've seen it made to look chivalrous and refined), a troll boils down to the bottom of the barrel to the top of the ladder. How "well" you troll, doesn't make you more or less of a troll; if you troll and fail you're still a troll and have successfully trolled by making deliberate and offensive online posting. Read the def, that's all you need, but by all means continue making it sound justified, reputable and respectable.

Trolls like to justify their actions like chivalrous internet vigilantes if they sense something is unpopular, and meet minimal resistance in doing so. But I stop before I view them as practicing an art. You can't troll me because I know its a one sentence definition where intelligence is irrelevant, they question are your morals, which you do not have.You're not my problem, you're someone elses problem, and will be dealt with when you slip up attacking someone like you've been in your group. Luck don't last forever, and yours will one day run out.


Gee, that's nice and all, but coming from someone who has actually trolled, you're wrong.

Sometimes, it's just for fun.

I don't know why you're making it seem all Knights Templar shit.
14777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/25/16 , edited 1/25/16

sarteck wrote:Gee, that's nice and all, but coming from someone who has actually trolled, you're wrong.


What, you, trolled?

......NAWWWWWWWWHHHHHH!!!!

(Not like that Trump thread, though, that's a serious issue to our country.)


lunarxx wrote:Trolls like to justify their actions like chivalrous internet vigilantes if they sense something is unpopular, and meet minimal resistance in doing so. But I stop before I view them as practicing an art. You can't troll me because I know its a one sentence definition where intelligence is irrelevant, they question are your morals, which you do not have.You're not my problem, you're someone elses problem, and will be dealt with when you slip up attacking someone like you've been in your group. Luck don't last forever, and yours will one day run out.


Oh, lord, I remember those Usenet days--
When a troll was Outed, half of them would suddenly try to make a grab for Credibility, and staying on as an undercover member everyone chatted with, by saying that they had really been testing the group, to see how devoted they were to topic, and how focused they were to keeping the conversation within the rules of the group.
And then, to keep the act going, whenever the members would start small-talking, they would be the ones to throw big stuffed-shirt fits about "No, no, no, that's off-topic, let's keep it on header rules, or I'll have the Mods shut down this thread immediately!"...Or sillier still, would try to look like they were the "serious" member, and spreading doom-and-gloom warnings about "That's why this group is dying anyway..."

Of course, once everyone DID start ignoring them completely, they would throw even bigger fits about "The Orwellian hive-mind group-think, shutting out any dissenting opinion!"
Gee, after all the hard work they said they were doing, you'd think they'd have been happier we were so troll-proof...
13618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/25/16
Human nature, the failure of others around you and success of self is desirable.
Dragon
58371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 1/26/16
Closed by OP request
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.