First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Stupid Bills That California and New York Are Working On
11023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 1/26/16

sarteck wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

well in Canada you can't even write a tweet without fear of being sent to years in prison, be several hundred thousand dollars in debt and not able to work. some people living there might not care about violations of privacy and whatnot, since they never had it to begin with.


Let's be fair, he didn't go to prison... He was just assumed guilty and not allowed to access the Internet AT ALL, which his livelihood depended on.

it hardly makes a difference in my book. he was wrongfully convicted and was forced off his livelihood for at least 2 years, incurring several hundred thousand dollars in charges. he was only able to go through this because of generous donations for those who believe in free speech. he was assumed guilty before any evidence was even presented.
Posted 1/26/16 , edited 1/26/16

Ranwolf wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:


I find it amusing that you are comparing our countries to that shithole. You really think you are going to find somebody that bad by randomly picking on people phones? By that logic, China crime rate will be lower than the US.


I suppose you're just pointedly going to ignore the fact most terrorist acts committed on First World soil were done so by people whose residency records go back years if not decades. They weren't done by refugees new to the country or special kill squads flown in for that purpose alone.


No, you are avoiding the question here. Explain to me how does a random cop, who feel like expressing his Cojones. Will increase his one percent of finding some random terrorist or nut job? This isn't any different than letting a cop enter your house without a warrant.
11023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 1/26/16
police in the US also have a quota they need to meet. they're supposed to catch a certain number of "criminals"
guess what will happen if they add this, and someone working for the police is behind his or her quota?
hint: one unlucky citizen
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/26/16
It is time for some short rope and a long drop.
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/26/16
38026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

Ranwolf wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:



I am NOT a liberal.


Well I really hate to say this to a fellow soldier but you're talking like one, your opinions and viewpoints thus far make you sound like one. And the fact you think personal freedoms and liberties should take precedence over national and indeed international security are kinda a nail in that coffin ya dig.

Personal rights are all fine and dandy. But we can't pretend this world is full of basically decent people. There are endless examples of monsters living amongst us, using the rights your 'liberal' alter ego is defending to go unnoticed. I mean unless ya think all the brothers and sisters we've buried were killed by the common cold. This is a world were the anonymity of cyber space is the prefect playing field for those smart enough and depraved enough to commit great harm upon the very fabric of our various countries.



You have it backwards liberals are the ones who want to sacrifice individual freedoms for the sake of the State. Gun control, government involving itself in every facet of private life, dictating what is and is not taught in schools - against the wishes of parents.

Conservatives are the ones who want to protect individual freedoms and restrict government interference, protect 2nd Amendment rights, restrict government's involvement in ever facet of private life, letting parents decide what they want their kids to be taught in their kid's schools.

I am a conservative. You are advocating a strengthening of government over individual freedoms, you are advocating a police state over a government of the people for the people.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/289513.Benjamin_Franklin

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
11752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 1/26/16
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

^^This.

The government is for the people, by the people, and the people shouldn't have to be afraid of the government becoming it's own all- seeing- body that can do whatever the hell it wants; although it already seems that is the case in some people's eyes.
53496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/26/16
What's most disturbing is that there are a lot of people who really believe that giving up their basic human rights will keep them safe from terrorists who aren't even affected by laws like this.
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/26/16 , edited 1/26/16

PhantomGundam wrote:

What's most disturbing is that there are a lot of people who really believe that giving up their basic human rights will keep them safe from terrorists who aren't even affected by laws like this.

Well, I'd like to say that it's because people don't like to think critically anymore, but it only took like 2 seconds of thought to realize that this was a bad idea, so I don't even know anymore.
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

What's most disturbing is that there are a lot of people who really believe that giving up their basic human rights will keep them safe from terrorists who aren't even affected by laws like this.

Well, I'd like to say that it's because people don't like to think critically anymore, but it only took like 2 seconds of thought to realize that this was a bad idea, so I don't even know anymore.


Worst thing is "If you didn't do anything wrong..."

No, FUCK YOU. It's called the bill of rights. It's like people want to stop being citizens and start being subjects.
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

VZ68 wrote:

It's like people want to stop being citizens and start being subjects.

I don't think I could have possibly said this better, myself.
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / Hicksville Ohio(n...
Offline
Posted 1/26/16
i find it scary that so many people live in a bubble.. sigh,,,,,
17711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

DeadlyOats wrote:




You have it backwards liberals are the ones who want to sacrifice individual freedoms for the sake of the State. Gun control, government involving itself in every facet of private life, dictating what is and is not taught in schools - against the wishes of parents.

Conservatives are the ones who want to protect individual freedoms and restrict government interference, protect 2nd Amendment rights, restrict government's involvement in ever facet of private life, letting parents decide what they want their kids to be taught in their kid's schools.

I am a conservative. You are advocating a strengthening of government over individual freedoms, you are advocating a police state over a government of the people for the people.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/289513.Benjamin_Franklin

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”


Mate I am really surprised ya can say that with a straight face..Are you sure you spent 12 years with the Marine Corp..and were those 12 years spent on the front lines, or with the REMs doing paperwork or fixing busted rifles? Cause if you spent any time on the front lines ya wouldn't even be saying that let alone thinking it.

Giving up our obsessive compulsive desire to hide trivial data isn't giving up our right to an elected government , to free speech or even the right to dissent. The fact we can even have this discussion is ample proof of that. After all we've both seen places were true rights and freedom were given up or rather taken away. And I don't know about your country but Canada is nowhere near as that bad, despite the rather large leeway we've given our law enforcement as of late.

If you really think this skewed viewpoint of the government being powerless is best I'd really like to know why? Not wanting a police state is one thing but thinking you can have your cake and eat it to is foolish in my mind. A government has to be empowered to be of any real use, we've known that since we stopped eating raw meat.

Also you do realise quoting the outdated thoughts of dead men is all well and good but it means little to me. His world was a vastly different place whose dangers were far different then the ones we face now.
Posted 1/26/16 , edited 1/26/16

sundin13 wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


You assume that is their intent. However, under Patriot Act, and with the way the NSA and Homeland Security have been doing things, what will happen is that they will conduct large scale searches. Notice that it's New York and California that are doing this. These states are the victims of recent terrorist attacks. They'll use this legislation to search everyone, violate everyone's Forth Amendment rights in order to ferret out a few sleeper cells.

This will be abused.

The other part is that building a back door into a cell phone will mean it is compromised and subject to cyber criminals who will find the door and use it to rob us blind. This is the worst and most blatant disregard of our Forth Amendment rights I have seen since the enactment of the Patriot Act and the establishment of our secret police - the Homeland Security Dept.

This stupid law will not stop criminals nor terrorists from getting their cell phone from Las Vegas, as someone has already alluded to, or New Jersey.


Again, it cannot be abused in the way you believe, as the Supreme Court has already ruled that warrants are required to search mobile phones. No judge will allow mass warrants without any probably cause. You are over-reacting. Also, it is not an infringement on fourth amendment rights as it does not remove the warrant requirement.

As for the other part, it is a fair consideration, although it does require the criminal to actually have the phone before taking anything from it so it isn't as big of a concern as you seem to think here also.


The DEA has run a massive surveillance operation out of one court in California.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/11/dea-wiretap-operation-riverside-california/75484076/

Police lie, mislead, and make omissions, I'd rather not have to rely on the willingness of a magistrate judge to error check warrants to maintain my privacy anymore than I already have to.
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/26/16

nooneinparticular wrote:
Police lie, mislead, and make omissions, I'd rather not have to rely on the willingness of a magistrate judge to error check warrants to maintain my privacy anymore than I already have to.


Holy shit, that Judge is popping off at least 4 taps a day
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.