First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Portrayal of Women in Media
33886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
Well, I never really noticed woman being portrayed like that...
8715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
I don't know why people think it's such a bad thing for a girl to want to be skinny and pretty. Being skinny and pretty/looking good shouldn't be a negative thing to anybody. I mean if that girl is fat and ugly... and she gets sad because she "can't be that skinny". The bitch needs to shut the fuck up and exercise, no offense to fat people.. but if you want to be skinny.. exercise... don't cry that you're fat. I know it isn't really simple, but it also isn't all that complex. Don't try those pills or diets, diets don't necessarily work. Diet + Exercise = good
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
I don't like the way some forms of media portray women. So I don't watch that type of media. (I probably wouldn't watch the shows that do that anyway since most of them are crappy) Sad thing is I know many girls who are like that.
3824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / atlantis
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
i guess this is a bit like why are all chinese people in movies portrayed as martial artists? its the stereotype, just like thats the stereotype 4 women in films.

its what people expect to see, so thats what they get
2844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 2/11/08

artgeek707 wrote:

I don't like the way some forms of media portray women. So I don't watch that type of media. (I probably wouldn't watch the shows that do that anyway since most of them are crappy) Sad thing is I know many girls who are like that.


Am I to understand that you wouldn't watch forms of media with objectified portrayal of women...yet you watch anime, which is probably the biggest offender of them all??

Not meaning to be harsh, and I'm not trying to target you specifically, I'm just using your post as an example. Because, when you really think about it, the top three forms of media with some of the worst portrayals of women are:

1) R&B/Hip-hop/Rap music videos (DX)
2) Movies
3) ANIME!!

Just an opinion...but there are a lot of terribly written female anime characters. I mean, they are just bad characters. They really get on my nerves.

Sure, I love movies and I love anime. They're fun to watch. But the women get on my friggin' nerves. They're mostly stupid empty-headed air-brained morons. Everybody knows women are smarter than that!! Quite frankly, it's offensive and gives a bad name to women everywhere.

Even as I write this, I'm listing some of my top favorite movie and anime characters in my head in terms of characterization and personality. And they're all men. The women have no credibility to me...they just don't...oh, yeah, and about personality in female characters in general in movies and anime. You can forget about it, because they have none. They're all based off the same types of clichés. No personality = no character depth = boring character. They may as well all be variations of the same damn character. At least the male characters have more character variety in terms of personality and characterization. (Except for the annoying whiney punka** emo stereotype. Grr! I can go into an entire rant on that one too, because this is the main anime male stereotype that friggin' gets on my nerves!!!! X0 But I won't because that would be deviating from the original topic...)

No, I don't give a what about the character's back story, because in the long run, all these characters are the same there too! (Mainly, the poor tormented soul that was abused or ignored and whatnot and you're supposed to feel extraordinarily bad for her. Please. Not even remotely interested, thank you very much.)
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/11/08

hikaruchan16 wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

I don't like the way some forms of media portray women. So I don't watch that type of media. (I probably wouldn't watch the shows that do that anyway since most of them are crappy) Sad thing is I know many girls who are like that.


Am I to understand that you wouldn't watch forms of media with objectified portrayal of women...yet you watch anime, which is probably the biggest offender of them all??

Not meaning to be harsh, and I'm not trying to target you specifically, I'm just using your post as an example. Because, when you really think about it, the top three forms of media with some of the worst portrayals of women are:

1) R&B/Hip-hop/Rap music videos (DX)
2) Movies
3) ANIME!!

Just an opinion...but there are a lot of terribly written female anime characters. I mean, they are just bad characters. They really get on my nerves.

Sure, I love movies and I love anime. They're fun to watch. But the women get on my friggin' nerves. They're mostly stupid empty-headed air-brained morons. Everybody knows women are smarter than that!! Quite frankly, it's offensive and gives a bad name to women everywhere.

Even as I write this, I'm listing some of my top favorite movie and anime characters in my head in terms of characterization and personality. And they're all men. The women have no credibility to me...they just don't...oh, yeah, and about personality in female characters in general in movies and anime. You can forget about it, because they have none. They're all based off the same types of clichés. No personality = no character depth = boring character. They may as well all be variations of the same damn character. At least the male characters have more character variety in terms of personality and characterization. (Except for the annoying whiney punka** emo stereotype. Grr! I can go into an entire rant on that one too, because this is the main anime male stereotype that friggin' gets on my nerves!!!! X0 But I won't because that would be deviating from the original topic...)

No, I don't give a what about the character's back story, because in the long run, all these characters are the same there too! (Mainly, the poor tormented soul that was abused or ignored and whatnot and you're supposed to feel extraordinarily bad for her. Please. Not even remotely interested, thank you very much.)


Not all anime is like that. Take Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiments Lain,
389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Pacific Ocean
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
It is hard to not buy into the portrayal of a woman through all the ads. Any woman product has an incredibly beautiful woman incorporated into their ad. Even other commercials, like Budweiser support it. I myself can honestly say that I have seen women differently for this reason. TV ads are pretty much a form of brainwash.
5449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / CALIFORNIA
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
in my opinion women are eye candy who are judged only by their looks and, if bad behavior is portrayed many go off on it. there are many examples of this britney spears of course, stars arent perfect and they fall.

women have talent but once the image is destroyed so is a career in mens case acting will go on for a long time look at george clooney
2801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/11/08
the media r just selling whatz hot that moment i dont think anyone sould be offended watching it those who makes a big deal out of they they are just bitching cuz they got nothing else to do me personally i just watch what ever but if there is hoott guys in it it will grab my attensions but i never really think much about is just another form of entertaiment
3237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Nottingham/Manche...
Offline
Posted 2/22/08

dj_catmix wrote:

So I'll keep this short and simple since its my birthday and i want to bet back to eating cake and decorating the pinata.
As we all know in today's entertainment women are portrayed as these brain-dead abominations whose only purpose is to supply eye candy for the viewers (well not all but many). many of us dont believe that all woman are like this but alot of us draw prejudices from watching it.

My question to men is do you buy into this and view woman differently due to the media?

And for women do you become cynical and blame men for thier chauvinism or do you accept it and become happy and blissful?


I see no point for feminists like you. Have you noticed sales in 'lad's mags' going down? Have you noticed that women have more rights than men nowadays? Have you noticed that women objectify stereotypical males as well? Your argument is pretty poor and you seem to know so very little. And if you are so bothered about this issue, complain to the advertising agency. This isn't just with men, women are usually just as bad as men nowadays. Accept it.
I think that most men don't see women any differently. Although I would say overweight and obese people are pretty much shunned, just because it seems unattractive and gives out the message you don't care about your body. But most men go for personality and are a lot less shallow than you give them credit for.
1213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/22/08
For me it's not a matter of being cynical, happy or blissful. I am very into human rights and social jusitce and to be honest this thread is a joke if no one realises that men are also used in advertisements, usually dominated by a woman, or women. They are also made to seem dull witted, lazy and the whole stereotype of what a man "s". They are also made to be sex objects. And in the legal system, there is not much room for a man to move around in especially when it comes to consent and children. So no I'm not cynical, nor am I happy or blissful. I am more saddened by the fact that in a first world country, where I can get free education, free health and shelter where other women don't have clitorises (even though banned by the UN) and don't know their rights at all that women even dare to say they are oppressed. As a woman whose been independant for most of my life, I am very insulted.

Besides women have so much power then they even realise. If a guy asks me out on a date, he is the one asking. That is the supposive protocol, where does the power lie? In the household (differing in cases of the dysfunctional family) but women run the household. Where does the power lie? A mother has a child and then seperates from the father, automatically the mother is rewarded custody of the child. Where does the power lie? A woman who is also responsible for consent, has one drink (which depending on women, could or could not make one drunk but we'll just say it doesn't to this one specific woman) and soon enough a guy asks her to have sex, now he has no idea she has one drink if she accepts he can be pulled up for rape. Where does the power lie?
6468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/22/08
I think that a lot (not all, there are plenty of smart women in show buis too) of the women in show buisness are brain dead and idiots and some should have their kids taken away *cough*. Though that judgement doesnt carry over to the women i know. Nor does it at all influence my actions

Though thinking about it logically the number of women i know and would classify as idiots, super self centered, or ignorant is much greater than the number of guys i know. I know about the same number of women and men too.

Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 2/22/08
Models scare me... ._.

I mean, how can they possible walk on those sticks they call legs?! :(

- off-topic: Ergo Proxy = :awsm:

By the way, anime being the biggest offender when it comes to the portrayal of women:

Half true & false.

Yes they are often portrayed as women with perfect bodies etc, however, they are not (in most cases I'd like to claim) secure about themselves & know exactly what to say in every situation.

Other examples of animes not showing "perfect" women with hour-glass bodies & big breasts are Shakugan No Shana, Noein (though the main character has legs that are so freaking slim o_O), Death Note, Elfen Lied, Ghost In The Shell (<3) & more.

One good example of "perfect" women is Grenadier xD When I learned the main character's true age I went "WHAT THE FUCK?!" - She looks like she's 18+ but she's really 16.... Teh hell....

Anyway! D:

I forgot what I was going to say, I'll post more later \o
4095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 2/22/08
watch the documentary "killing us softly" its all about how women are portrayed in the media.

it is definitley worth a watch if this topic interestes you. here's a 6 minute preview of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FpyGwP3yzE
2212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / back in cr
Offline
Posted 2/22/08

Ketsuen wrote:


dj_catmix wrote:

So I'll keep this short and simple since its my birthday and i want to bet back to eating cake and decorating the pinata.
As we all know in today's entertainment women are portrayed as these brain-dead abominations whose only purpose is to supply eye candy for the viewers (well not all but many). many of us dont believe that all woman are like this but alot of us draw prejudices from watching it.

My question to men is do you buy into this and view woman differently due to the media?

And for women do you become cynical and blame men for thier chauvinism or do you accept it and become happy and blissful?


I see no point for feminists like you. Have you noticed sales in 'lad's mags' going down? Have you noticed that women have more rights than men nowadays? Have you noticed that women objectify stereotypical males as well? Your argument is pretty poor and you seem to know so very little. And if you are so bothered about this issue, complain to the advertising agency. This isn't just with men, women are usually just as bad as men nowadays. Accept it.
I think that most men don't see women any differently. Although I would say overweight and obese people are pretty much shunned, just because it seems unattractive and gives out the message you don't care about your body. But most men go for personality and are a lot less shallow than you give them credit for.



so you rather me be like this dood?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-95793/MILF.html?pg=0
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.