First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Do you have a Nihilist view on life?
4338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / F / 妙境 «« Changmin's ;;
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
For those who don't know:

Nihilism (from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical position which argues that Being, especially past and current human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. Nihilists generally assert some or all of the following:

* there is no reasonable proof of the existence of a higher ruler or creator,
* a "true morality" does not exist, and
* objective secular ethics are impossible; therefore, life has, in a sense, no truth, and no action is objectively preferable to any other.
996 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / moving to UK soon
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
This is not a discussion about religion.
And no I'm not a nihilist.
1682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
There is always a reason to exist. If you dont have one, you aint looking hard enough.
3896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
Yeah, I'm a nihilist. Menos, u say to look hard but how do u noe where to look?
275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / mnvhg
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
nihilisism has nothing to with religion. it just means that you think nothing thats been done matters.
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 2/9/08

MenosGrande87 wrote:

There is always a reason to exist. If you dont have one, you aint looking hard enough.


And you can explain exactly WHY things exist?

I guess I'm a bit of a Nihilist, the way I see it now, there is really no reason we, or anything, should exist. We're not fulfilling anything (or at least that we know of), and because I don't believe in some kind of consciousness after death, life seems kinda pointless. However, that's not any reason to give up on life, or to lowers it's value just because there doesn't seem to be a purpose for it. To me, it's similar to one of those gifts that you get and think "what the hell do I need this for?", but its a massive load of a gift (Happy Birthday) and you only receive it once IN A LIFETIME!.
1682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/9/08

Gabcom wrote:


MenosGrande87 wrote:

There is always a reason to exist. If you dont have one, you aint looking hard enough.


And you can explain exactly WHY things exist?

I guess I'm a bit of a Nihilist, the way I see it now, there is really no reason we, or anything, should exist. We're not fulfilling anything (or at least that we know of), and because I don't believe in some kind of consciousness after death, life seems kinda pointless. However, that's not any reason to give up on life, or to lowers it's value just because there doesn't seem to be a purpose for it. To me, it's similar to one of those gifts that you get and think "what the hell do I need this for?", but its a massive load of a gift (Happy Birthday) and you only receive it once IN A LIFETIME!.


I dont believe in life after death, god or any of that stuff but that dont mean i dont appreciate life. Youre right, theres no reason why we SHOULD exist, but we DO exist because we were lucky millions of years ago. And thats reason enough to make the most of it.
2160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / somewhere with in...
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
theres no reason for existence.. thats y u hafta give urself a reason to exist, give urself a reason to fight and survive, thats wat it means to live life to the fullest
9528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Las Vegas Nevada
Offline
Posted 2/9/08
This topic is not about religion it simply about our personal views of life.
An from my view there have never been any proof of anything beyond life and death
so Yes I Have a nihilist view
2546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 2/9/08

MenosGrande87 wrote:


Gabcom wrote:


MenosGrande87 wrote:

There is always a reason to exist. If you dont have one, you aint looking hard enough.


And you can explain exactly WHY things exist?

I guess I'm a bit of a Nihilist, the way I see it now, there is really no reason we, or anything, should exist. We're not fulfilling anything (or at least that we know of), and because I don't believe in some kind of consciousness after death, life seems kinda pointless. However, that's not any reason to give up on life, or to lowers it's value just because there doesn't seem to be a purpose for it. To me, it's similar to one of those gifts that you get and think "what the hell do I need this for?", but its a massive load of a gift (Happy Birthday) and you only receive it once IN A LIFETIME!.


I dont believe in life after death, god or any of that stuff but that dont mean i dont appreciate life. Youre right, theres no reason why we SHOULD exist, but we DO exist because we were lucky millions of years ago. And thats reason enough to make the most of it.


Exactly the same mind-set as me then lol.
1682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/9/08

Gabcom wrote:


MenosGrande87 wrote:


Gabcom wrote:


MenosGrande87 wrote:

There is always a reason to exist. If you dont have one, you aint looking hard enough.


And you can explain exactly WHY things exist?

I guess I'm a bit of a Nihilist, the way I see it now, there is really no reason we, or anything, should exist. We're not fulfilling anything (or at least that we know of), and because I don't believe in some kind of consciousness after death, life seems kinda pointless. However, that's not any reason to give up on life, or to lowers it's value just because there doesn't seem to be a purpose for it. To me, it's similar to one of those gifts that you get and think "what the hell do I need this for?", but its a massive load of a gift (Happy Birthday) and you only receive it once IN A LIFETIME!.


I dont believe in life after death, god or any of that stuff but that dont mean i dont appreciate life. Youre right, theres no reason why we SHOULD exist, but we DO exist because we were lucky millions of years ago. And thats reason enough to make the most of it.


Exactly the same mind-set as me then lol.


Lol, its good to have common sense aint it? As far as i see it this aint a pretty world but its got alot of freedoms and priviliges we wouldnt have had 100 years ago so why not make the most of it? Party hard or die tryin.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

zombiexmylove wrote:

For those who don't know:

Nihilism (from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical position which argues that Being, especially past and current human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. Nihilists generally assert some or all of the following:

* there is no reasonable proof of the existence of a higher ruler or creator,
* a "true morality" does not exist, and
* objective secular ethics are impossible; therefore, life has, in a sense, no truth, and no action is objectively preferable to any other.


No objective meaning? Agreed.
No purpose? No objective, absolute purpose. We can make our own.
No comprehensible truth? I'm not entirely sure what this means. I suppose we can't have certainty in anything except mathematics, which only exists in terms of ideas.
No essential value? I'm more with Nietzsche on this one. We make our own through exercising our freedom. He actually criticized Western religion as nihilistic because it more or less asserts that what really matters is the afterlife, not the current life.
No reasonable proof of the existence of a higher ruler or Creator? Agreed. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
No true morality? Agreed.
Objective secular ethics are impossible? Agreed.

Of course, this is all somewhat idealistic, thinking in terms of absolutes. Getting stuck on these things paralyzes the individual, but there is no need for such focus. Our lives are almost always in contexts where certain actions or truths or ethics are better than others, whether it be for the individual or some system.

So yes, I'm nihilistic in the sense that I do not believe in absolutes in and of themselves, but I am nevertheless down-to-earth and affirming of life.

Posted 2/19/08
Yeah. I guess I am. I'm also against these so called "good-morals" set by society.
I also don't care enough about it to do anything, lol
1174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Muffin Land ~~ Co...
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

Tyrone700 wrote:

This topic is not about religion it simply about our personal views of life.
An from my view there have never been any proof of anything beyond life and death
so Yes I Have a nihilist view


Too true. but i religion does play a part in it.... I dont think i could live with a nihlist veiw on life. Im not religious.
9528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Las Vegas Nevada
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

peppermil wrote:


Tyrone700 wrote:

This topic is not about religion it simply about our personal views of life.
An from my view there have never been any proof of anything beyond life and death
so Yes I Have a nihilist view


Too true. but i religion does play a part in it.... I dont think i could live with a nihlist veiw on life. Im not religious.


Thanks for quoting me. it is nice to see that someone share my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.