First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Do you have a Nihilist view on life?
Posted 2/19/08

Tevesh wrote:

So that's what it's called. Then yes, i'm a nihilist to the extreme. Truly there's no purpose behind any action, so there's no actual reason to make choices.


do you treat others with a nihilstic point of view?

I know people who claim they are nihilists but don't act as a true nihilist would. i believe nihilism exists, but i have serious doubts that there are many true followers of it.
Posted 2/19/08

iForgottenn wrote:

yeah i dont believe in gods. if there is a god, i would most likely kill him.


not believing in god is atheism, not nihilism. and if god exists, you being able to kill him is probably not realistic, because he's...God.
626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / o.o;;
Offline
Posted 2/19/08
Roar! God(s) is/are an important tool(s) to control the common people! Don't make fun of their influence(s)!

Anyways, on topic, Nihilism sounds like a horrible group. They remind of me hippies. We need people with ideas and hope for the future. Not stupid emos like, a pathetic example, Yagami Light ((Death Note)) who wants to destroy everything and miraculous rebuild it. Saying that your Nihilist is cool on the forums, but if you have a zero view on life, just kill yourself, right now. NAO. You'd be doing this forum a favor, your community and school a favor, and this world a big favor.

Of course, IMO. <-- Flame Protector ON.
Posted 2/19/08

Th3holyon3 wrote:

Roar! God(s) is/are an important tool(s) to control the common people! Don't make fun of their influence(s)!

Anyways, on topic, Nihilism sounds like a horrible group. They remind of me hippies. We need people with ideas and hope for the future. Not stupid emos like, a pathetic example, Yagami Light ((Death Note)) who wants to destroy everything and miraculous rebuild it. Saying that your Nihilist is cool on the forums, but if you have a zero view on life, just kill yourself, right now. NAO. You'd be doing this forum a favor, your community and school a favor, and this world a big favor.

Of course, IMO. <-- Flame Protector ON.


hahaha. actually, killing yourself would be just as pointless as living on. and no, nihilists are NOTHING like hippies. total different mindset. light isn't nihilistic either.

hahaha, it is funny how people say stuff on forums that they would never live out in real life, nihilism being one of these ideas.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

krnsoldierofGod wrote:

#1 then why do YOU not believe in Christianity?

#2 Just because your a Christian doesn't mean that there are not certain "rules" that you have to follow in order for you to stay as a Christian. The Bible says we weren't created to be perfect. For being moral, they are God's rules so they are moral/immoral if you like it or not ( in the Christian religion)

#3 you should see back what I said (I think somone would be a nihilist IF they are ignorant athiest)



#1: I see no convincing evidence for the existence of God. Even if I accepted that there is some supernatural Creator, that would not mean that it is the Christian God. It could easily be something else.

#2: I think you misunderstood. All I'm saying is that Christianity is nihilistic in its emphasis on the afterlife instead of the current life. It's the life you'll have forever, the life in which you'll either be rewarded or punished, the life where you will be in your "true form," etc. It leads to people regarding this life as meaningful only in terms of where one goes after death. Do I think this is bad? Of course I do. But my purpose here is to point out that Christians can be understood to be nihilistic as well, so it doesn't make much sense for a Christian to actually mock nihilism in this form.

#3: I don't get your point. You said that people who aren't Christian are ignorant, so I asked for absolute proof of all of Christianity's claims. If you cannot provide that, it is not a matter of ignorance - it is merely a matter of opinion.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

JuliaRhys wrote:

hahaha, it is funny how people say stuff on forums that they would never live out in real life, nihilism being one of these ideas.


Well, let's be careful here. A nihilist isn't necessarily paralyzed by his conclusions. If he believes that there are no absolutes, he can create his own rules for his life.

8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

Regulus133 wrote:


krnsoldierofGod wrote:

#1 then why do YOU not believe in Christianity?

#2 Just because your a Christian doesn't mean that there are not certain "rules" that you have to follow in order for you to stay as a Christian. The Bible says we weren't created to be perfect. For being moral, they are God's rules so they are moral/immoral if you like it or not ( in the Christian religion)

#3 you should see back what I said (I think somone would be a nihilist IF they are ignorant athiest)



#1: I see no convincing evidence for the existence of God. Even if I accepted that there is some supernatural Creator, that would not mean that it is the Christian God. It could easily be something else.

#2: I think you misunderstood. All I'm saying is that Christianity is nihilistic in its emphasis on the afterlife instead of the current life. It's the life you'll have forever, the life in which you'll either be rewarded or punished, the life where you will be in your "true form," etc. It leads to people regarding this life as meaningful only in terms of where one goes after death. Do I think this is bad? Of course I do. But my purpose here is to point out that Christians can be understood to be nihilistic as well, so it doesn't make much sense for a Christian to actually mock nihilism in this form.

#3: I don't get your point. You said that people who aren't Christian are ignorant, so I asked for absolute proof of all of Christianity's claims. If you cannot provide that, it is not a matter of ignorance - it is merely a matter of opinion.


#1 just imagine if some man said I am the Son of God and started performing miracles would you believe?

#2 you don't understand Christianity at all. There is a reason why God put us here on earth, if there was no meaning to life here, then we would just simple be in heaven. ( I forgot what the reason was I wasn't paying too much attention to the sermon, yeah I know i'm not the best of all Christians)

#3 let me put the word athiest out I think someone would be nihilist if they are ignorant

Posted 2/19/08

Regulus133 wrote:


JuliaRhys wrote:

hahaha, it is funny how people say stuff on forums that they would never live out in real life, nihilism being one of these ideas.


Well, let's be careful here. A nihilist isn't necessarily paralyzed by his conclusions. If he believes that there are no absolutes, he can create his own rules for his life.



you're missing my idea. a nihilist does not create rules for his own life because there is NO POINT. If he creates some standard by which he lives by, he is not a nihilist, because living by that standard is POINTLESS. the only reason he may choose to do so is for the sake of survival, which makes no sense either because survival is POINTLESS. it's an endless cycle of contradiction. almost no one lives like a true nihilst.

i'm pretty sure that if i killed someone close to everyone who claimed they were a nihilist, they would come after me and try to decry my actions as "wrong" or "bad" or "evil," all of which are inconsistent to nihilistic thinking.


and it's not a matter of not believing in absolutes. it's a matter of not believing in ANYTHING. not in the "everything in this world is fake" mentality, but the "everything in this world, person and action alike, is pointless" idea, which is what nihilism essentially is.
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

krnsoldierofGod wrote:

#1 just imagine if some man said I am the Son of God and started performing miracles would you believe?

#2 you don't understand Christianity at all. There is a reason why God put us here on earth, if there was no meaning to life here, then we would just simple be in heaven. ( I forgot what the reason was I wasn't paying too much attention to the sermon, yeah I know i'm not the best of all Christians)

#3 let me put the word athiest out I think someone would be nihilist if they are ignorant



#1: Not necessarily. What I perceive to be miracles may not actually be miracles. Someone once said that any sufficiently advanced technology appears as magic. Couple such technology with a liar and you have what you asked. Of course, I don't need to go so far out on a limb. Even if someone could perform miracles, there's no reason to assume that it is because he has the power of the Christian God. Furthermore, you're asking me to imagine it, but imagining it isn't proof. I am not aware of anyone who claims to be the Son of God and can perform miracles. Sorry, Jesus doesn't cut it; if he existed, he died a long time ago, and there's no proof that he did anything the Bible says he did.

#2: Of course I understand Christianity. I'm not saying there is no reason for God to have put us here. In fact, I'm saying precisely the opposite: Christianity would have us believe that we're here for some reason independent of life itself. That is precisely the problem. And might I add that it's a little childish to be telling me that there is a meaning but you don't know the reason because you weren't paying attention to the sermon? Every church teaches differently, so there's no guarantee that your pastor/priest is correct. Besides, telling me something is true and being unable to explain it doesn't make you seem too reliable. Nevertheless, I accept what you say, but I want you to realize what I'm trying to say.

#3: A nihilist still isn't necessarily ignorant. If he perceives no absolutes, he perceives no absolutes, so he must decide his own path in life, even if it is to end it.

1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

JuliaRhys wrote:

you're missing my idea. a nihilist does not create rules for his own life because there is NO POINT. If he creates some standard by which he lives by, he is not a nihilist, because living by that standard is POINTLESS. the only reason he may choose to do so is for the sake of survival, which makes no sense either because survival is POINTLESS. it's an endless cycle of contradiction. almost no one lives like a true nihilst.

i'm pretty sure that if i killed someone close to everyone who claimed they were a nihilist, they would come after me and try to decry my actions as "wrong" or "bad" or "evil," all of which are inconsistent to nihilistic thinking.


and it's not a matter of not believing in absolutes. it's a matter of not believing in ANYTHING. not in the "everything in this world is fake" mentality, but the "everything in this world, person and action alike, is pointless" idea, which is what nihilism essentially is.


Please consult the definition given at the start of the thread rather than your own. Nihilism asserts that there is no objective, absolute purpose, not necessarily that it is pointless to do anything. People who do that are also nihilists, but a nihilist is not necessarily that (just like: a cat has four legs, but not all things with four legs are cats). Get it?

8000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M / california
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

Regulus133 wrote:


krnsoldierofGod wrote:

#1 just imagine if some man said I am the Son of God and started performing miracles would you believe?

#2 you don't understand Christianity at all. There is a reason why God put us here on earth, if there was no meaning to life here, then we would just simple be in heaven. ( I forgot what the reason was I wasn't paying too much attention to the sermon, yeah I know i'm not the best of all Christians)

#3 let me put the word athiest out I think someone would be nihilist if they are ignorant



#1: Not necessarily. What I perceive to be miracles may not actually be miracles. Someone once said that any sufficiently advanced technology appears as magic. Couple such technology with a liar and you have what you asked. Of course, I don't need to go so far out on a limb. Even if someone could perform miracles, there's no reason to assume that it is because he has the power of the Christian God. Furthermore, you're asking me to imagine it, but imagining it isn't proof. I am not aware of anyone who claims to be the Son of God and can perform miracles. Sorry, Jesus doesn't cut it; if he existed, he died a long time ago, and there's no proof that he did anything the Bible says he did.

#2: Of course I understand Christianity. I'm not saying there is no reason for God to have put us here. In fact, I'm saying precisely the opposite: Christianity would have us believe that we're here for some reason independent of life itself. That is precisely the problem. And might I add that it's a little childish to be telling me that there is a meaning but you don't know the reason because you weren't paying attention to the sermon? Every church teaches differently, so there's no guarantee that your pastor/priest is correct. Besides, telling me something is true and being unable to explain it doesn't make you seem too reliable. Nevertheless, I accept what you say, but I want you to realize what I'm trying to say.

#3: A nihilist still isn't necessarily ignorant. If he perceives no absolutes, he perceives no absolutes, so he must decide his own path in life, even if it is to end it.




#1 just bear with me and imagine if someone from your family has been blinded scince that horrible accident he or she had, and some guy came and healed that person. Would you believe then? If you don't then your one of the arrogant people I mentioned who can't accept that fact that there is a higher being than them.

#2 I don't really get what you mean by "we're here for some reason independent of life itself" For me not knowing why there is a reason for life doesn't really affect me much because I have faith and I don't need reasons to justify my faith. Also, every church teaches it the same as long as they teach from the same Bible

#3 this was just an opinion that I strongly believe is true

619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Australia.
Offline
Posted 2/19/08
I'm not sure if a god exists or not...
But i don't believe in soul mates or any of that love stuff...
I think that things happen for a reason though...like if someone dies
it had a deeper purpose behind it...i dunno...
7809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 2/20/08
i believe that Buddha and God exists. i also believe in soul mates, past lives, fate, destiny, the whole package. i guess it depends on how we were brought up
1433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

krnsoldierofGod wrote:

#1 just bear with me and imagine if someone from your family has been blinded scince that horrible accident he or she had, and some guy came and healed that person. Would you believe then? If you don't then your one of the arrogant people I mentioned who can't accept that fact that there is a higher being than them.

#2 I don't really get what you mean by "we're here for some reason independent of life itself" For me not knowing why there is a reason for life doesn't really affect me much because I have faith and I don't need reasons to justify my faith. Also, every church teaches it the same as long as they teach from the same Bible

#3 this was just an opinion that I strongly believe is true



#1: False. Just because science can't explain something now doesn't mean it never can. If I saw someone perform a genuine miracle, all I'd believe is that the person performed a miracle. It does not imply that everything he says is true. So if he called himself the son of God, I would need more than miracles to prove it to me. Besides, even if he were the son of God, I would have to wonder: which God? Christianity isn't the only religion of miracles. It's about standards for proof, not arrogance.

#2: It's not about the idea being bad or implying that you need reasons to justify your faith (though you do to be taken seriously), it's just about applying the label 'nihilistic' to common Christianity. It doesn't have to be a bad thing if you don't want it to be; just drop the negativity you associate with nihilism. You don't have to be an atheist to be a nihilist in this sense. By the way, you are demonstrably incorrect in saying that every church teaches the same thing. I used to be Christian, and I experienced different interpretations in different churches that used the same Bible. It is, unfortunately, text, so it is subject to different analysis.

#3: Again, backing up your opinion is what counts, not stating it.
Posted 2/20/08

saranghaefromangel wrote:
i believe that Buddha and God exists.

Which Buddha are you talking about and in what way does he exist? (Just wondering, because the historical Buddha is said to neither exist nor not exist.)


Regulus133 wrote:

shibole wrote:
Yes, basically, but I think the society you're in also has a sort of "group purpose" that's decided as a group or imposed on people.

Of course, but the question is whether it is objective and absolute.

I don't think the "group purpose" is any more objective than the individually declared purpose.





True, but one could declare a creator god as at least being empirically irrelevant based on lack of evidence.

I agree. The only concern I really have with God is the way people use it as a concept to influence others.

I would go slightly beyond this and say that God also matters in that many people attribute some of their mental phenomenon to God (for example, people saying "God told me to <whatever>"). So it's possible that there are certain "spiritual" mental processes which some number of people attribute to God, while others attribute them to "insight" or something else.



Since nihilistic claims regard objectivity and absolutes, I'm sure you can affirm that purpose and remain nihilistic. However, I'm not quite sure where Buddhism fits when it comes to nirvana (can we even speak of that?).

Well, stress/suffering is a product of impermanence/change. Since basically everything except a few things like space-time and nibbana are subject to change, that would make stress an absolute. The elimination of stress would be an absolute goal then, but not everyone will have that as their goal. The goal exists and would be absolute though. So "no action is objectively preferable to any other" would be false, making Buddhism not nihilistic. Even beings who don't want to totally end stress typically would want to reduce it by becoming rich, etc.


Not that Nietzsche himself defines nihilism, but it's rather clear that he would criticize it for its denial of attachments (including freedom) in life.

That may be a bit of a misconception about Buddhism. Laypeople aren't supposed to be severing all attachments, and people can find drive in something other than craving I think, but maybe not. I'm not that familiar with Nietzsche though.

In any case, if stress is objective because stress exists wherever there is change, and change is objective, note that you can reduce stress through gratification of desires. The methodology wouldn't be Buddhist since the recommendation in Buddhism is to reduce craving for things subject to stress/change rather than just satisfy the cravings, but the objective direction of the goal "reduce stress" remains the same.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.