First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Iowa Caucus
51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
Best image I've seen come out of tonight's caucus:

137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
Hmm…

General reaction in brief:
* As expected, Rubio ended up emerging as the plutocrats' champion (on the Republican side, at any rate); likely to be the new American legacy-media star now that their parent companies know for sure who to throw money at. He will probably get the nomination at this point, although as far as I know, that seems to be what most people who really followed the Republican candidates semi-objectively had already believed well before tonight.
* Everyone is squealing with delight at an apparent opportunity to knock Trump down a peg, even though he actually did shockingly well in a state with nearly two-thirds evangelicals in its Republican base.
* Pretty much also like everyone already expected, Ted Cruz is this season's Huckabee/Santorum character.
* I was pleasantly surprised that Sanders did so well. Can't say I unequivocally support him just due to his bizarrely out-of-character pro-war record in congress, but the man comes off as a fucking pacifist standing next to Clinton, so I'll reluctantly take what I can get there, I guess. His speech was probably the ballsiest one I've seen from a serious contender since Perot's day.


Rujikin wrote:

Cruz won! Woot!

Also Hillary fucking cheated to tie: http://www.dailydot.com/politics/iowa-caucus-coin-flip-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders/

If its a tie then split the vote .5/.5



Thanks for the link in the quote, good info. Although it appears to actually be standard operating procedure for the caucus, so I will opt to take it as learning a new and exciting way that our election system can go all shitbrained rather than as evidence of Clinton cheating, as much as some parts of me would like a valid excuse to accuse her of that.
51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
99% of the votes are in and Bernie is behind Hillary by 2 votes. Unless that remaining 1% is for Bernie, it looks like that coin flip gave Hillary the win in Iowa.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/16 , edited 2/1/16
Yeah, I'm not denying that one bit, and I do feel it's something everyone should know about now that I've heard it. Just saying that in the absolute strict sense of the word, it wasn't really cheating, just fortuitous exploitation of a rule that most would probably agree shouldn't have been in the books in the first place.
14924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
Many early polls did show that Iowa would vote for Cruz over Trump. And past primaries have shown that those that win in Iowa usually don't make it to the final election.

If anything, there's a long road ahead.
51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
I can imagine Fiorina and Santorum dropping out within the next few days. Christie and Kasich also finished in the bottom half but the polls show them doing better in New Hampshire so they're probably wait until after that when they finish low again to drop out. Although I wouldn't be surprised if all of them dropped out tomorrow.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/16
Iowa doesn't really mean anything. It's not reflective of the general public at all. You could say that Rubio "won" by finishing in a strong 3rd place. Other than that nothing has changed. Consider that the previous two "winners" in Iowa were Santorum and Huckabee.

It's notable that the democratic race is so close, but we knew that going into Iowa.

51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/16 , edited 2/1/16
For the record, John McCain finished 4th in Iowa when there were only 8 guys running. Iowa is pretty bad at predicting the republican nominee. I doubt Cruz will go on the win the nomination.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/1/16 , edited 2/1/16
It turns out that you can stump the Trump and Cruz to victory
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 2/2/16
Kinda disappointed to see Hilary taking the spot despite her and Bernie being tied.


However, as the old saying goes "When you get knocked down, get back up."
14763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/2/16

PhantomGundam wrote:

99% of the votes are in and Bernie is behind Hillary by 2 votes. Unless that remaining 1% is for Bernie, it looks like that coin flip gave Hillary the win in Iowa.


Hope that isn't the result of the real Democratic primaries, or we'll have a Democratic candidate we didn't really elect and just settled with a tie-breaking coin toss...

Well, at least she won't be throwing a tantrum over her "Superdelegates" like last....nah, on second thought, we've seen that angry-Hitler video enough times.

As for Cruz winning...okay, HERE'S where Trump-mania starts meeting a little thing called Reality. Votes elect candidates, not sieg-heil chants and call-in radio shows.


kinga750 wrote:

Iowa doesn't really mean anything. It's not reflective of the general public at all. You could say that Rubio "won" by finishing in a strong 3rd place. Other than that nothing has changed. Consider that the previous two "winners" in Iowa were Santorum and Huckabee.


Yeah, but they had to rotate to Iowa after New Hampshire got a little too full of itself and started picking the goofy non-winners.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

Ejanss wrote:

kinga750 wrote:

Iowa doesn't really mean anything. It's not reflective of the general public at all. You could say that Rubio "won" by finishing in a strong 3rd place. Other than that nothing has changed. Consider that the previous two "winners" in Iowa were Santorum and Huckabee.


Yeah, but they had to rotate to Iowa after New Hampshire got a little too full of itself and started picking the goofy non-winners.


I think the media just makes too much of the early voting states. Iowa in particular is full of evangelicals who don't reflect the broader Republican base. These days being popular in Iowa means you are probably too far right to appeal to the moderates who really decide the election. I'm jaded though. Following the elections is exhausting, and this year is particularly bad.
9451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/2/16
I wish Paul had performed better. I want a Cruz/Paul ticket. lel
51315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

TheCrushmaster wrote:

I wish Paul had performed better. I want a Cruz/Paul ticket. lel


He'll probably do better in states where independents are allowed to vote since the rest of the republican candidates don't bother trying to appeal to that group. Still, 5th place out of 12 isn't bad. Especially when he beat a whole bunch of establishment politicians. McCain was in 4th place in Iowa when there were only 8 people to choose from and he eventually won the nomination. Iowa republicans usually pick whoever they think is the most religious, so Cruz winning was no surprise.
101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16
Well, I'm damn happy with the way Bernie Sanders performed in Iowa, especially since the deck has been stacked against him there for months. I think nailing a draw gives some much-needed evidence regarding his viability as a Presidential candidate. Of course, an upset would've been even better, but Iowa still gives his campaign a sufficient foundation from where he can start overtaking Hillary. Now his campaign should focus on solidifying its lead in New Hampshire and turning up the pressure with regards to the other states. I've also heard that the Martin O'Malley supporters are more likely to flock to Bernie now that O'Malley's out, so that's good news. Bernie's battle is basically just beginning in earnest now.

As for the Republicans, I'm aware that the Iowa caucus is a far from definitive predictor of the final candidate. Nonetheless, I'm glad Donald Trump's been taken down a peg; with all the arrogance that jerkoff has, placing second really should embarrass some of his supporters, even if he does ultimately make the nomination. Since Ted Cruz has been right on Trump's heels, and is more popular among Evangelicals, I can see why he won. And Mike Huckabee dropped out too, which is a small consolation for me since I really hate that guy. Really, the only viable Republican candidate that I have even a shred of confidence in (as far as not being an absolute madman is concerned) would be Marco Rubio, which really isn't saying much. If I was a US citizen, I'd completely steer clear of the Republican Party this election cycle, because I feel they're a lost cause at this point.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.