First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply What are people's biggest objection(s) to Jesus/Christianity/church?
9149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/2/16
As a Christian, I'm curious to find out why I believe in the God of the Bible but other people don't. Let's keep this friendly.

Go!
19918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Summoners Rift
Offline
Posted 2/2/16
Because... people have learned since the crusades?
3123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/2/16
My biggest objection isn't to the religion, (im Methodist btw, its the catholic branch that does a large number of humanitarian missionary work). My objection is to the church itself. most branches of the church have become industrialized and are becoming more boring and not as personal as they used to be (smaller churches close, people forced to go to larger ones), people are of the mindset that you must go to church and donate to it, which isnt that great anymore, id rather do something meaningful during church then listen to something that puts half the church to sleep...
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/3/16
Some people want definitive proof before they "believe" but at that point it kind of defeats the purpose of faith. Others dismiss it as illogical yet can provide no evidence or proof to debunk it. On that same note, a religious person can't prove their beliefs either. I don't know why people try talking out of their asses to prove the other wrong when you simply can't.

Some people depise the church and beliefs because of how some of those followers present themselves or shove their own views onto others.

Some people have been raised and fed the same information their whole lives and encounter the opposite views in the real world, thus causing confliction in their beliefs.

Some people have had bad experiences with religion as a whole and now look at it with resent.

Some people see those in charge of teaching the word of God preaching hypocrisy or more worried about money and image.

I could bring up history events as well but let's just cut it short here for now...

There's plenty of reasons to be against religion just as there are plenty of reasons to be for religion. Personally, I do believe in God. I see no reason not to at least.
29382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/3/16
I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/3/16

RenegadeVictim wrote:

I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.


You basically just described humans with that logic. Though I do see your point, it's a flawed way to present it.
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

dotsforlife wrote:

Some people want definitive proof before they "believe" but at that point it kind of defeats the purpose of faith. Others dismiss it as illogical yet can provide no evidence or proof to debunk it. On that same note, a religious person can't prove their beliefs either. I don't know why people try talking out of their asses to prove the other wrong when you simply can't.

Some people depise the church and beliefs because of how some of those followers present themselves or shove their own views onto others.

Some people have been raised and fed the same information their whole lives and encounter the opposite views in the real world, thus causing confliction in their beliefs.

Some people have had bad experiences with religion as a whole and now look at it with resent.

Some people see those in charge of teaching the word of God preaching hypocrisy or more worried about money and image.

I could bring up history events as well but let's just cut it short here for now...

There's plenty of reasons to be against religion just as there are plenty of reasons to be for religion. Personally, I do believe in God. I see no reason not to at least.


Wouldn't that also defeat the purpose of God being God? When people say prove God exists, I think they refer to using natural reasons. Though trying to prove God by natural means would defeat his purpose. If I can explain something supernatural naturally, is the thing still supernatural?

I definitely agree with you on your points.
9149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/2/16

Dodebebop wrote:

Because... people have learned since the crusades?


Dodebebop, is that a criticism against Christianity in particular or against religion in general?



dotsforlife wrote:


RenegadeVictim wrote:

I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.


You basically just described humans with that logic. Though I do see your point, it's a flawed way to present it.


Interesting. Suppose I said that the Bible affirms humanity's weakness and brokenness and inability to do anything. Suppose I said that the Bible teaches that as humans, we are incapable of solving all of the world's problems by our own strength, which would therefore point back to the need for a God. Because I agree that there is so much wrong with the world. Do the world's problems, then come from a failure of a God or from messed up people?

11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/3/16

Ctonhunter wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:

Some people want definitive proof before they "believe" but at that point it kind of defeats the purpose of faith. Others dismiss it as illogical yet can provide no evidence or proof to debunk it. On that same note, a religious person can't prove their beliefs either. I don't know why people try talking out of their asses to prove the other wrong when you simply can't.

Some people depise the church and beliefs because of how some of those followers present themselves or shove their own views onto others.

Some people have been raised and fed the same information their whole lives and encounter the opposite views in the real world, thus causing confliction in their beliefs.

Some people have had bad experiences with religion as a whole and now look at it with resent.

Some people see those in charge of teaching the word of God preaching hypocrisy or more worried about money and image.

I could bring up history events as well but let's just cut it short here for now...

There's plenty of reasons to be against religion just as there are plenty of reasons to be for religion. Personally, I do believe in God. I see no reason not to at least.


Wouldn't that also defeat the purpose of God being God? When people say prove God exists, I think they refer to using natural reasons. Though trying to prove God by natural means would defeat his purpose. If I can explain something supernatural naturally, is the thing still supernatural?

I definitely agree with you on your points.


Yes, I assume people mean scientific methods when they are asking for proof. Sort of how ghosts and the like are treated. We know what supernatural means, but I'd argue that it also implies beyond comprehension. At this time anyways. We have disproven things that were initially taken as fact throughout history, so who's to say this won't be another one in the history books someday? With things as they currently are though, I just take it with a grain of salt.

Of course with how people can have vastly different ideas of who or what God is could have us arguing completely different things.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16 , edited 2/2/16

Drewkun88 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


RenegadeVictim wrote:

I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.


You basically just described humans with that logic. Though I do see your point, it's a flawed way to present it.


Interesting. Suppose I said that the Bible affirms humanity's weakness and brokenness and inability to do anything. Suppose I said that the Bible teaches that as humans, we are incapable of solving all of the world's problems by our own strength, which would therefore point back to the need for a God. Because I agree that there is so much wrong with the world. Do the world's problems, then come from a failure of a God or from messed up people?



I would say no based on what the Bible says about God giving us free will. Plus it is written that we were practically sinless before the fall of man.

Though that could be argued against by saying man was created in Gods image, so what does that say about us in the first place?

Take your pick.
52842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16
When I was Kid, I remembered not so often that I go to Church and only to fall asleep since I'm deaf I cannot hear or missed out most of what the Priest saying! XD

Once I went to Deaf school, in high school I got into Bible seriously and there this Priest that know sign language.. I got so deep into it..That if I win lottery ticket I probably donate it all to the Church! XD

Also when reading Rebecca brown M.D. Book call.. Look at the image below!




That book depress me lots.. Because she made it sound impossible, and explaining how Satan and his followers take control of the world! XD

I do believe in God and his son Jesus Christ, but I don't think Jesus is God.. He is Son of God.. Remember Jesus Christ said he cannot do thing without his father help, and he said its his father will.. and people should thanks to his father one true God.

But in order to get to his Father God, we must accept Jesus as our lord/Savior and ask him to forgive us, wipe our sin cleans, and though him we can reach to his Father God.

I dislike the feeling of Hell, like when people say if you don't believe in God or his son Jesus Christ you go to Hell forever.. I just don't see how Jesus would want people suffer in Hell. I would think Jesus fix that by dying on the Cross and went down in hell to defeat the Devil for three days and than raise up to Heaven.


52842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

RenegadeVictim wrote:

I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.



It natural to feel that way, we all been there.. feeling doubt. God understanding is beyond our understanding.. There is a reason why thing happen the way it is..

God use Satan (used to be name Lucifer before kick out of Heaven) to test us, also to toughen us up for Spiritually Wars.

If it wasn't for the Devil, we wouldn't be able to tell the different between Good and Evil.

Also Satan input impure thoughts in our mind.. Like Doubt.. To lure us away from God and prevent us from truly understanding God way.

Kind of like Game Chess for example we can only see two or 4 move ahead, But God can see all move ahead, His Wisdom is so vast that we don't even have small fragment of this wisdom..

Also Lucifer was consider most powerful Arch-Angel of all, Full of Wisdom, Full of Abilities.. His Pride corrupt his Wisdom thinking that he can defeat God. When Lucifer rebelled, Arch-Angel Michael saw Lucifer and knowing that he cannot defeat him.. So he went to see God and God bestow him some power to defeat Lucifer.. And also since Lucifer left God side, Lucifer already lost the Battle.
52842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

dotsforlife wrote:


Drewkun88 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


RenegadeVictim wrote:

I simply find the idea that there's some great higher power with some kind of plan for us all rather laughable. In all honesty, it's hard to believe that there's a "God" when there's so much wrong with the world. If there really was some kind of all powerful higher power that supposedly created us all, would it not make sense then that this supposed higher power would do everything within its power to prevent the destruction of its own creation? See, the bible makes out that "God" is our all-powerful caring creator in spite of the fact that there are people suffering.

It's hard to take religion seriously when religious material contradicts itself.


You basically just described humans with that logic. Though I do see your point, it's a flawed way to present it.


Interesting. Suppose I said that the Bible affirms humanity's weakness and brokenness and inability to do anything. Suppose I said that the Bible teaches that as humans, we are incapable of solving all of the world's problems by our own strength, which would therefore point back to the need for a God. Because I agree that there is so much wrong with the world. Do the world's problems, then come from a failure of a God or from messed up people?



I would say no based on what the Bible says about God giving us free will. Plus it is written that we were practically sinless before the fall of man.

Though that could be argued against by saying man was created in Gods image, so what does that say about us in the first place?

Take your pick.


I was told when we born in this World, The World of Sin, We're already Sinned. That why Jesus Christ died for us by wiping off the Sins though his blood. When accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior the Sins is wipe off..
7259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

Drewkun88 wrote:

As a Christian, I'm curious to find out why I believe in the God of the Bible but other people don't. Let's keep this friendly.

Go!


I commend you for being bold enough to announce your faith on this forum site. Nice to meet you fellow Christian, we watch anime, too.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/2/16

JanusCascade

I was told when we born in this World, The World of Sin, We're already Sinned. That why Jesus Christ died for us by wiping off the Sins though his blood. When accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior the Sins is wipe off..


If you're talking about the new testament then that would be correct.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.