First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Why Do People Even Like Sena from Haganai Anyway?
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Oh, I forgot, I argued with you on culture imperialism and why apparently I can't judge something from the different perspective of an outsider just because I wasn't born there. Yeah, okay.

I never said anything of the sort, and what does it even have to do with this thread?
Posted 2/6/16

drninja wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Oh, I forgot, I argued with you on culture imperialism and why apparently I can't judge something from the different perspective of an outsider just because I wasn't born there. Yeah, okay.

I never said anything of the sort, and what does it even have to do with this thread?


Well, you said if I wanted to apply my western ethics to stuff I should watch western media. That's a form of cultural whatsit, where you say you can't judge a culture if you are an outsider. For example, this could apply to people not having the "right" to judge certain countries for their backwards treatment of women. We argued about it for quite some time. I on the other hand, while I disprove of any sort of imperialism, believe it is all right and natural to apply your own home bred ethics to other civilizations. For example, we often disprove of the barbaric ways of say, burning widows in the funeral pyre of their husbands and whatnot. And I forgot where I was going.
15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 2/6/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

So just because it's not wrong in their world doesn't mean we should find anything wrong with it ourselves? Poppycock. I don't care if it is a fictional Japan or real life Japan, it is disturbing to see so many people excuse a characters just because they're hot. I feel as if my views on it should be independent of the people involved in some cases.


<Insert Kirino here>
7523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Crimson Mage Village
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
Is there a reason to like any of the girls? They don't have friends for a reason, you know...
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
She's hot, could use a better personality that much I can agree with.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Well, you said if I wanted to apply my western ethics to stuff I should watch western media. That's a form of cultural whatsit, where you say you can't judge a culture if you are an outsider.

No, it's a form of not understanding how anime works.

If you want fiction and reality to have a 1:1 relationship then go watch Western media. It's very simple.
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
Yozora is so mean to Sena sometimes you have to feel bad for her. I like the dynamic between them though, watching them fight is my favorite part of Haganai.

Posted 2/6/16

drninja wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Well, you said if I wanted to apply my western ethics to stuff I should watch western media. That's a form of cultural whatsit, where you say you can't judge a culture if you are an outsider.

No, it's a form of not understanding how anime works.

If you want fiction and reality to have a 1:1 relationship then go watch Western media. It's very simple.


That makes no sense. Reality and western media have no 1:1 relationship either.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
While not my favorite character she's not bad. My favorite was the boy missing his 'thing' aka Yukimura Kusunok. Also Yozora was a fav till the lame ass ending of season 2. Sena gets a bad name because she's beautiful, popular and OCD.


Favorite episode is from season 2 and the roller coaster ride.


Yozora and Sena try to out do each other. :)
35746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
I like Sena cause I like her I guess?

I mean if I find a character entertaining then that's what matters right?
xxJing 
37163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/6/16

Gafennec wrote:
Sena gets a bad name because she's beautiful, popular and OCD.


I don't understand why some people hate Sena so much while they adore Yozora.

This isn't a Chitoge vs Onodera thing where both characters are generally nice people.

Sena puts on a conceited facade but everything she tries to do is helpful and nice even if what she says doesn't reflect it. The only one she ever insults is Yozora, and Yozora always starts the fight. Sena is never malicious toward anyone. Hell, during the amusement park episode she even offers to pay for Maria's ticket when they were short one.

Now what I said about Sena can also be said about Yukimura and Rika. They never do anything to really hurt any of the other girls, and they even help out most of the time.

Yozora on the other hand did a crap load of small, but nonetheless malicious, actions against Yukimura, Sena, and she even fooled Maria a bunch of times. Yozora was an asshole. The only reason I can think of that she didn't do anything against Rika was that she knew that she would lose if she tried to pick a fight with her.
60138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
None of them are that great, I'd say. Kobato is adorable cause of her chuuni and when she breaks persona and is embarassed.

Sena didn't need to have that creepy attachment to Kobato, though. Sena is the kindhearted one who fits best romantically with MC, thus she gets a lot of attention. She's also entertaining, usually. Meanwhile Yozora is total bitch... nearly all the time. But if they'd toned her obsession to something like Rena from Higurashi, it would be a lot less creepy and we wouldn't be having this convo.
Posted 2/6/16

xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
Sena gets a bad name because she's beautiful, popular and OCD.


I don't understand why some people hate Sena so much while they adore Yozora.

This isn't a Chitoge vs Onodera thing where both characters are generally nice people.

Sena puts on a conceited facade but everything she tries to do is helpful and nice even if what she says doesn't reflect it. The only one she ever insults is Yozora, and Yozora always starts the fight. Sena is never malicious toward anyone. Hell, during the amusement park episode she even offers to pay for Maria's ticket when they were short one.

Now what I said about Sena can also be said about Yukimura and Rika. They never do anything to really hurt any of the other girls, and they even help out most of the time.

Yozora on the other hand did a crap load of small, but nonetheless malicious, actions against Yukimura, Sena, and she even fooled Maria a bunch of times. Yozora was an asshole. The only reason I can think of that she didn't do anything against Rika was that she knew that she would lose if she tried to pick a fight with her.


He does say the truth. Sena is by far the least flawed and most popular of the potential mates. I think it's sort of a streisand effect on part of the authors bias toward's Sena and her perceived popularity. In short, it's hipsterism, but Yozora is kind of an every man for the troubled, the unloved, and the asshole. She's somewhat sympathetic and she's a fairly entertaining character as well as intelligent. In contrast to Sena, who for some odd reason is the most beautiful, Yozora's academic superior, rarely malicious as the story wants to make us believe, rich, openly loves Kodaka.....do you see where this is going? It's gotten to the point where I don't know if people genuinely like Sena or rather the idea of her and her admit tingly well designed character. I gravitate for the person with the broken past, the bashful tsundere, the timid stepford smiler, the broken bird, and I think a lot of people do like those characters, especially those that play VNs that generally revolve around this trope. As far as I know Sena never had to deal with the stuff Yozora has done in the slightest.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 2/6/16 , edited 2/6/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Sena is clearly a pedophile with no respect to Kobato's boundaries. Therefore, she is a pedophile in nature and in actions. One might say it is played for comedy, but people hate Patrick Star from Spongebob for being such an asshole.

Oh, but let me guess. She's BEAUTIFUL. I guess it's easy to excuse beautiful people when they're suffering from Affluenza, huh? No but seriously, Yozora gets hated on for being a bitch, but wouldn't you be a bitch if said love triangle story was so freaking biased?




She's a busty onee-chan, she realizes Kobato is basically what her kid with MC would be.


Of course she's crazy for her, it's basically her kid.


Also, Yozora is a terrible human being. She's a villain that somehow ended up in the harem.
xxJing 
37163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/6/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
Sena gets a bad name because she's beautiful, popular and OCD.


I don't understand why some people hate Sena so much while they adore Yozora.

This isn't a Chitoge vs Onodera thing where both characters are generally nice people.

Sena puts on a conceited facade but everything she tries to do is helpful and nice even if what she says doesn't reflect it. The only one she ever insults is Yozora, and Yozora always starts the fight. Sena is never malicious toward anyone. Hell, during the amusement park episode she even offers to pay for Maria's ticket when they were short one.

Now what I said about Sena can also be said about Yukimura and Rika. They never do anything to really hurt any of the other girls, and they even help out most of the time.

Yozora on the other hand did a crap load of small, but nonetheless malicious, actions against Yukimura, Sena, and she even fooled Maria a bunch of times. Yozora was an asshole. The only reason I can think of that she didn't do anything against Rika was that she knew that she would lose if she tried to pick a fight with her.


He does say the truth. Sena is by far the least flawed and most popular of the potential mates. I think it's sort of a streisand effect on part of the authors bias toward's Sena and her perceived popularity. In short, it's hipsterism, but Yozora is kind of an every man for the troubled, the unloved, and the asshole. She's somewhat sympathetic and she's a fairly entertaining character as well as intelligent. In contrast to Sena, who for some odd reason is the most beautiful, Yozora's academic superior, rarely malicious as the story wants to make us believe, rich, openly loves Kodaka.....do you see where this is going? It's gotten to the point where I don't know if people genuinely like Sena or rather the idea of her and her admit tingly well designed character. I gravitate for the person with the broken past, the bashful tsundere, the timid stepford smiler, the broken bird, and I think a lot of people do like those characters, especially those that play VNs that generally revolve around this trope. As far as I know Sena never had to deal with the stuff Yozora has done in the slightest.


I guess it's different characters for different people.

I tend to enjoy stories either about a character who is put into a shit situation and manages to end up on top through their will power (Shonen). Or About characters who are gifted and try to fix a shitty world.

I hate stories about people who were put into a shitty situations and decide to make things shittier for everyone.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.