First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Hidden Christians of Japan
50573 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 2/6/16 , edited 2/6/16

In the sixteenth century Portuguese Catholic missionaries introduced Christianity to Japan. The religion flourished for about fifty years, but by 1614 the Tokugawa government issued an edict that outlawed Christianity and expelled the missionaries from Japan. About 150,000 believers went underground and continued to practice their religion in secret. These people are known as the "Hidden Christians".


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdSIWT3OjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkw7UeX_p74
18156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
Oh wow. I like these kind of secret occults. You know too well we have in our culture a lot of these dear Huasteco.

Interesting, love history and even more Japan.
Sogno- 
47243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
and today less than 2% of the population is religious, and even less than 1% is Christian

i think there was an anime that had one of those hidden Christian characters on one of the smaller islands. uumm i think it was samurai champloo maybe idk for sure.

432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/16

Sogno- wrote:

and today less than 2% of the population is religious, and even less than 1% is Christian

i think there was an anime that had one of those hidden Christian characters on one of the smaller islands. uumm i think it was samurai champloo maybe idk for sure.




It was Samurai Champloo. They were searching for the sunflower samurai who was protecting Christians.
Posted 2/6/16
My ex-gf is Japanese buddist and I wanted to convert from catholism to hers. It made more sense and meant more to me but idk maybe I could of converted anything for her.
Posted 2/6/16
No matter what you do, cults will always practice religion.
3508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

Nasirei wrote:

Oh wow. I like these kind of secret occults. You know too well we have in our culture a lot of these dear Huasteco.

Interesting, love history and even more Japan.



There was once a sizable population of Catholic converts in the areas that Portugal occupied. The National Museum in Tokyo even has some icons on display. By the way, Japan today is at least 1% Christian and the majority of them are Catholics. I think there are some Russian Orthodox as well.
Posted 2/7/16 , edited 2/7/16
Proud of them for outlawing lies.
28772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
My wife is a Japanese Christian,
26422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/16 , edited 2/7/16
Are you also proud of them for crucifying believers?
28772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Proud of them for outlawing lies.


Outlaw? Some of the best schools in Japan are Christian denomination schools. I think you have Japan mixed up with some other country.
I believe that Kansai Gaidai and Baika are both denomination based schools. I taught at NVA when I lived in Japan, but that was a private school.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Proud of them for outlawing lies.


Have proof to back up that claim?
73840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / A nice safe dista...
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
I stumble upon this church in Tokyo:

Posted 2/7/16 , edited 2/7/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Proud of them for outlawing lies.


Have proof to back up that claim?


I'm God, and he speaks the truth; the Bible is a lie.
5229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

Hrafna wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:


40YearOldVirgin wrote:

Proud of them for outlawing lies.


Have proof to back up that claim?


I'm God, and he speaks the truth; the Bible is a lie.


So calling bullshit, lol
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.