First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Legal means of watching Dragon Ball Super...?
28783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
I can't find a streaming service that simulcasts episodes of Dragon Ball Super anywhere. Has no one acquired the license to do so yet?
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
Sell your soul to satan-san.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/6/16
If you're in North America, to the best of my knowledge, the series is unlicensed, and thus should be perfectly legal for you to watch from your fansubber of choice.
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/7/16 , edited 2/7/16

Von_Goethe wrote:

If you're in North America, to the best of my knowledge, the series is unlicensed, and thus should be perfectly legal for you to watch from your fansubber of choice.

I'm 99% sure that fansubs are illegal.

Should you care? That's a question of your own morality. I doubt you'll be getting a knock on your door because you watch fansubs. I personally don't like watching anything I haven't paid to watch. Sure, CR isn't tantamount to buying a blu-ray, but it's still giving something back.
10989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 2/7/16
maybe a better question is: why watch db super when the quality is terrible?
they literally used flash animation in some scenes...
but yea. fansubs are not legal, whether a license exists or not. if you really want to stay legal, you'd have to either rent a dvd from a local library, or buy the dvds.
25169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
The only HONEST way is to wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release. But like namealreadytake said, why would you want to watch this?

At least in the home release Toei said they will redo the animations
11632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/7/16 , edited 2/7/16
Everything is legal until you're caught...

And if you are caught, have a fall guy.
20267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Von_Goethe wrote:

If you're in North America, to the best of my knowledge, the series is unlicensed, and thus should be perfectly legal for you to watch from your fansubber of choice.

I'm 99% sure that fansubs are illegal.

Should you care? That's a question of your own morality. I doubt you'll be getting a knock on your door because you watch fansubs. I personally don't like watching anything I haven't paid to watch. Sure, CR isn't tantamount to buying a blu-ray, but it's still giving something back.


If there are no legal alternatives what are you supposed to do? Twiddle your thumbs and hope that maybe years down the road somebody might license it? I used to watch a lot of fansubs until Funimation, Crunchyroll and Hulu finally started licensing everything a few years back. Now with more accurate translations and better video quality, and most importantly not having to go to sketchy websites and hoping not to get viruses that is no longer necessary. Personally I recommend that you go ahead and stream it already and enjoy the show.
3545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Indiana
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
yeah episode 5 is notorious for the trash animation and theres some other scenes that people point out as being bad, but the whole series isnt shit because of that. They're past the two movies and nows the time to watch and get caught up though cause everyones hype for universe 6 arc
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

kevz_210 wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Von_Goethe wrote:

If you're in North America, to the best of my knowledge, the series is unlicensed, and thus should be perfectly legal for you to watch from your fansubber of choice.

I'm 99% sure that fansubs are illegal.

Should you care? That's a question of your own morality. I doubt you'll be getting a knock on your door because you watch fansubs. I personally don't like watching anything I haven't paid to watch. Sure, CR isn't tantamount to buying a blu-ray, but it's still giving something back.


If there are no legal alternatives what are you supposed to do? Twiddle your thumbs and hope that maybe years down the road somebody might license it? I used to watch a lot of fansubs until Funimation, Crunchyroll and Hulu finally started licensing everything a few years back. Now with more accurate translations and better video quality, and most importantly not having to go to sketchy websites and hoping not to get viruses that is no longer necessary. Personally I recommend that you go ahead and stream it already and enjoy the show.

Okay? That just means that you are watching things illegally. I said it's more of a moral decision because unless you or someone watching with you decides to call the fucking cops and tell them you're doing illegal stuff, you're not likely to be caught.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Von_Goethe wrote:

If you're in North America, to the best of my knowledge, the series is unlicensed, and thus should be perfectly legal for you to watch from your fansubber of choice.

I'm 99% sure that fansubs are illegal.

Should you care? That's a question of your own morality. I doubt you'll be getting a knock on your door because you watch fansubs. I personally don't like watching anything I haven't paid to watch. Sure, CR isn't tantamount to buying a blu-ray, but it's still giving something back.


"Fansubs" are not illegal, "disseminating licensed content for free without permission of the license holder" is. Fansubs sometimes are a means of accomplishing such illegality, but if there is no license holder, exactly what problem would they be causing? It's perfectly legal to translate light novels, manga, anime, or whatever into English and spread it about the Internets if no one in North America has the rights to it, which, as far as I know, is the case with Dragon Ball Super. Obviously, FUNimation will eventually acquire the rights and translate it themselves, but until that happens, it's open season.
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

Von_Goethe wrote:


"Fansubs" are not illegal, "disseminating licensed content for free without permission of the license holder" is. Fansubs sometimes are a means of accomplishing such illegality, but if there is no license holder, exactly what problem would they be causing? It's perfectly legal to translate light novels, manga, anime, or whatever into English and spread it about the Internets if no one in North America has the rights to it, which, as far as I know, is the case with Dragon Ball Super. Obviously, FUNimation will eventually acquire the rights and translate it themselves, but until that happens, it's open season.

The fact that you didn't pay for the content that you are viewing makes it illegal. And fan translations are illegal, too.
29382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
No legal streaming service has the simulcast rights yet so just stream it illegally. I may not be paying for Blu-Rays but I do support the industry however I can, which is why I'm subscribed to CR and Animelab. I also buy anime when I can afford it.
28783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/7/16
Thanks for the info, ladies and gents!
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Von_Goethe wrote:


"Fansubs" are not illegal, "disseminating licensed content for free without permission of the license holder" is. Fansubs sometimes are a means of accomplishing such illegality, but if there is no license holder, exactly what problem would they be causing? It's perfectly legal to translate light novels, manga, anime, or whatever into English and spread it about the Internets if no one in North America has the rights to it, which, as far as I know, is the case with Dragon Ball Super. Obviously, FUNimation will eventually acquire the rights and translate it themselves, but until that happens, it's open season.

The fact that you didn't pay for the content that you are viewing makes it illegal. And fan translations are illegal, too.


After checking on the matter, I stand partially corrected. It is technically illegal under Japanese copyright law to disseminate the audio/video of the original series, licensed or not, though not to translate it (posting a script of an English translation looks to be okay), although the laws seem to be such that as far as overseas Internet fansubs are concerned, they would be difficult to enforce, and I have found no precedent of any serious attempt having been made to do so. Back in the so-called "Golden Age of Fansubbing", it was sort of common Internets wisdom that subs of unlicensed material are not in violation of any laws, which was where/when I picked up that notion.

Now, as for the viewing of fansubs of unlicensed material, that actually does not appear to violate any aspect of Japanese copyright law (they were not really written with the curbing of overseas fansubbing in mind, Japanese companies have historically given few enough fucks about this that exceptions to the rule stand out as truly bizarre) so OP is still good to go if sheer legality is his only concern.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.