First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply China Close To Creating ‘Artificial Sun’ That Could End Reliance On Fossil Fuels
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
Chinese scientists have managed to create a hydrogen gas that is three times hotter than the sun.

The artificial solar energy could eventually be used as an inexhaustible source of power, ending reliance on fossil fuels and solving the world energy crisis.

Chinese boffins created the gas in a huge magnetic fusion reactor at the Institute of Physical Science in Hefei.

Invented by Soviet scientists in the 1950s, the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) features a massive metallic doughtnut-shaped chamber twisted into a figure of eight.

Researchers were able to use the reactor to produce temperatures of 50 million Kelvins (49.999 million°C) and maintain them for 102 seconds.

The core of the sun is believed to around 15 million Kelvins.

Although a previous experiment by German scientists claims to have produced temperatures hotter than this, it was unable to sustain them for as long.

While the news is an important breakthrough, it could still take decades to perfect the process so that it can be used as a constant power source.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-close-to-creating-artificial-sun-that-104504777.html

Uh oh China is going to monopolize it and keep it for themselves meaning the future will be forever Chinas!
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
Time to start learning mandarin.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/8/16

Nyanotic wrote:

Time to start learning mandarin.


All those hundreds of hours I've spent learning Japanese so I can watch anime without subs was a waste.
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 2/8/16

biscuitnote wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:

Time to start learning mandarin.


All those hundreds of hours I've spent learning Japanese so I can watch anime without subs was a waste.


Rest easy, brother; China may take over, but they will never take your blu-rays.
11702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
lel i used to speak chinese

now i dont
19122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
Something that could end reliance on fossil fuels? almost sounds too good to be true.
If that could be developed further into something reliable and sustainable, it would change everything.
37319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
The Germans did it too. According the the article, the United States had a hand in helping to make it happen. So, I'll keep my English speaking skills. Thanks very much.

http://www.popsci.com/german-experiment-takes-tentative-steps-towards-fusion-reactor

11702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/16

DeadlyOats wrote:

The Germans did it too. According the the article, the United States had a hand in helping to make it happen. So, I'll keep my English speaking skills. Thanks very much.

http://www.popsci.com/german-experiment-takes-tentative-steps-towards-fusion-reactor



well ok, i wont hav to relearn my chinese that i hav forgotten
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/8/16 , edited 2/8/16

biscuitnote wrote:


Nyanotic wrote:

Time to start learning mandarin.


All those hundreds of hours I've spent learning Japanese so I can watch anime without subs was a waste.


Oh, I thought we were learning Japanese because they were going to take over the economy at the end of the 80's, which was...also a waste.

(Let's just say, North Korea has soured me on believing the "innovations" that Asia announces to the rest of the world until proven.
China is as just in need of a hangover-free alcohol as it is for an artificial sun.)
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-experimental-fusion-reactor-powers-germany-180958058/

That and the 6.5 meter ITER tomakak that is being built in France.

China's not the only player in the game.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/8/16

instrumental20 wrote:

Something that could end reliance on fossil fuels? almost sounds too good to be true.
If that could be developed further into something reliable and sustainable, it would change everything.


Nuclear power will never substitute for plastics or lubricate moving parts.
19122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 2/8/16

Dariamus wrote:


instrumental20 wrote:

Something that could end reliance on fossil fuels? almost sounds too good to be true.
If that could be developed further into something reliable and sustainable, it would change everything.


Nuclear power will never substitute for plastics or lubricate moving parts.


True, but oil is a finite resource, humanity can't rely on it forever, not completely at least.
2144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Washington State
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
To bad battery technology is only good for 100 miles
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
cold fusion would be here before then
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 2/8/16
yay for Mr. Fusion!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.