First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply The reason AKB48-styled idol groups will never fly in the west
18092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
I really question the fact of how much time you invest in thinking about this kind of trifling subject.

I really question myself.

Like really.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16

Ranwolf wrote:


Voc666IV wrote:

I'd of said the controversy surrounding the idol's personal lives EG not allowed to have boyfriends/girlfriends etc. etc. would be the bigger issue.





Wait..what the actual hell..How can that even be legal?


No idea how it’s legal, but it is a thing. For example members of akb48 are contractually forbidden to have romantic relationships and are punished if they break that rule. An example of this was in 2013 when Minami Minegishi who was photographed leaving the flat of her boyfriend Alan Shirahama. She them posted a video on the internet with a shaven head, apologised for her actions and claimed she desperately wanted to remain in the band.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/02/01/music/akb48-members-penance-shows-flaws-in-idol-culture/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21299324
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/10/16

Voc666IV wrote:



No idea how it’s legal, but it is a thing. For example members of akb48 are contractually forbidden to have romantic relationships and are punished if they break that rule. An example of this was in 2013 when Minami Minegishi who was photographed leaving the flat of her boyfriend Alan Shirahama. She them posted a video on the internet with a shaven head, apologised for her actions and claimed she desperately wanted to remain in the band.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/02/01/music/akb48-members-penance-shows-flaws-in-idol-culture/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21299324


Geez and here I thought the Japanese were only assholes for not importing their games here...Goddamn that whole Island nation is fucked up seven ways to sunday ya know. How in the hell do you put that kind of wording into a legally binding contract?
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
There's a lot of problems with this industry, but that wasn't one of them.
7878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
Just by the title itself, I totally thought it was because there are too many members. If my memory serves me right, girl groups (and boybands even) in the west aren't as popular as they were in the 80's and 90's. Most of the artists out now (in the west) are solo (and I'm not even talking about rock, alternative, punk, etc., just pop).

Plus the fact that AKB48 is under the graduation model on top of them being a huge group, it would be too much work to remember them all.

And then you'll have feminists protesting against the concept in the west. In Asia, it's basically normal to be perceived as cute, sexy, teasing, etc. the group is marketed to please mens' imaginations, which is why they have to abide by a no-dating/relationships clause.

Also, they are IDOLS, which are different from artists. Idols in Asia have to maintain a reputation to their career choice. They are also considered a product and business opportunity before they are considered artists let alone normal human beings.

Basically, there's a reason why there's an east and west. The cultural differences are vast, and can cause lots of misunderstandings and offenses, which is why AKB48 would not even be the same if such a concept was attempted in the west.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16
This live hentai?
I am all up for that..
oh wait reality can't do that... shiiit...

Jakubi - Can't Afford It All
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLjapNXA88&index=3&list=PLpHQSQnnQ1S-Ivsl2LazgxrwkxDipO42p
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
just saw the video and don't see the big deal. it's just a bunch of girls in the beach singing what i presume to be a song related to summer/vacation. the instrumentals reminded me of Love Live for some reason though.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/10/16

Ranwolf wrote:


Voc666IV wrote:



No idea how it’s legal, but it is a thing. For example members of akb48 are contractually forbidden to have romantic relationships and are punished if they break that rule. An example of this was in 2013 when Minami Minegishi who was photographed leaving the flat of her boyfriend Alan Shirahama. She them posted a video on the internet with a shaven head, apologised for her actions and claimed she desperately wanted to remain in the band.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/02/01/music/akb48-members-penance-shows-flaws-in-idol-culture/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21299324


Geez and here I thought the Japanese were only assholes for not importing their games here...Goddamn that whole Island nation is fucked up seven ways to sunday ya know. How in the hell do you put that kind of wording into a legally binding contract?


That really sucks for them.
8830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
Stupid feminazis should use their non-existing brains to stop being triggered and otherwise be ignored. Dont talk to them dont interact with them dont hire them you get it...

For an interesting reason i think the group is too big and cutey to be popular here...

Altough akb48 might come give a concert in Belgium!! I will so go there and i hope they will do heavy Rotation... Fav song dat fanservice! I like!!
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16

Ranwolf wrote:
Geez and here I thought the Japanese were only assholes for not importing their games here...Goddamn that whole Island nation is fucked up seven ways to sunday ya know. How in the hell do you put that kind of wording into a legally binding contract?

Idol groups don't exist so the members can have fun, they are in the business of selling dreams. Being involved in romantic or sexual relationships breaks the illusion they're trying to create. Members of idol groups are also mostly minors, and it is the responsibility of their agency to keep them out of trouble. Do you think it's a great idea to let a 16 year old idol get pregnant after a drunken one night stand? Would you raise your daughter that way?

I've seen Westerners debate the idol issue, and the consensus seems to be that girls and women must always have the right to do anything they want, whenever they want, however they want, with anyone they want, regardless of how it might affect someone else. They also seem to think that in the West you can never get fired for doing something your employer disapproves of, even though that happens all the time.



The deeper truth is that idol fan culture, as well as the closely related anime and manga fan culture, is institutionally incapable of dealing with independence in young women. It seeks out and fetishizes weaknesses and vulnerabilities and calls it moé.

This writer really has no idea what he's talking about.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16

drninja wrote:


Idol groups don't exist so the members can have fun, they are in the business of selling dreams. Being involved in romantic or sexual relationships breaks the illusion they're trying to create. Members of idol groups are also mostly minors, and it is the responsibility of their agency to keep them out of trouble. Do you think it's a great idea to let a 16 year old idol get pregnant after a drunken one night stand? Would you raise your daughter that way?

I've seen Westerners debate the idol issue, and the consensus seems to be that girls and women must always have the right to do anything they want, whenever they want, however they want, with anyone they want, regardless of how it might affect someone else. They also seem to think that in the West you can never get fired for doing something your employer disapproves of, even though that happens all the time.


Mate if a parent hasn't taught their daughter a semblance of responsibility by the time they are 16 then they have failed as parents. Doubly so if the sole remaining authority figure in their life ,their employer, feels the need to keep your failed child raising experiment in line though a legally binding contract.

But whatever it's not my fight and my opinion on it seems to offend you anyway. I never really cared for Idol groups anyway, doubly so now that I know they aren't actual artists, just underage pin up models.
23629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / California
Offline
Posted 2/10/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

America on sexuality = "we'll show a lot of heavy stuff on television– violence and crass jokes alike, but oh, nooo, young girls in bikinis!! That's bad! That's evil! Outlaw this!! Can't let the politically correct public or the FCC flay us for showing something so vulgar!"

America's always has this kind of aversion to specific content that could be considered sexually charged— being broadcast. We are willing to show all the gore in the world that we are allowed, though.


Pretty much this is the reason why AKB48 would not be a hit in the US but I will still support them.

The original Ponytail no Shushu didn't really bother me. Honestly, I don't really care about the PVs when I was still an active AKB fan (Acchan & Yuko's era), I just love their songs. Although, I was a bit surprise with Heavy Rotation's PV... but I still love them, after all Yuko was the center at that time.. Oh yeah, try watching the Heavy Rotation Live Performance where they were wearing cat-ears. ^_^; nya~
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/16

Ranwolf wrote:
Mate if a parent hasn't taught their daughter a semblance of responsibility by the time they are 16 then they have failed as parents. Doubly so if the sole remaining authority figure in their life ,their employer, feels the need to keep your failed child raising experiment in line though a legally binding contract.

This is not relevant. What's relevant is that the agency has the responsibility to take care of their idols, and that letting the idols get caught having relationships is really bad for business.


But whatever it's not my fight and my opinion on it seems to offend you anyway. I never really cared for Idol groups anyway, doubly so now that I know they aren't actual artists, just underage pin up models.

Japan already has underage models. Idols are a different thing.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

just saw the video and don't see the big deal. it's just a bunch of girls in the beach singing what i presume to be a song related to summer/vacation. the instrumentals reminded me of Love Live for some reason though.


As you probably know, Love Live is huge in China... someone shot a short footage of the Shanghai fan meeting concert and the audience size is absolutely insane. That concert looks to be at least 10x to 20x the size of any Japanese LL concert I've seen (the 2015 Dream Sensation was the biggest JP one I've seen)

I would not be surprised if some planners in SNH48 watched some LL concert footage and took some notes.

Edit: ok not sure about 10x but that footage is crazy
24946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 2/10/16

Voc666IV wrote:
I'd of said the controversy surrounding the idol's personal lives EG not allowed to have boyfriends/girlfriends etc. etc. would be the bigger issue.


Yes, it seems unacceptable to try and control their personal lives like that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.