First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply The reason AKB48-styled idol groups will never fly in the west
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
Holy shit I'm gone for 8 hours and the SJW brigade stormed right on through. So much I could reply to.. but too lazy. Too stupid. Not enough motivation. x.x

I'll just reply to a sum of things because why not :P. I'll also keep it short and sweet. You know, because lazy.

To the SJW who posted the girl who shaved her hair off. Yah sure, public shaming is shitty, but let's not forget that she still chose to go through with that. She obviously wanted to stay in the group enough to go through with that, so let's not belittle her decision and pretend to know more about what the girls are feeling than the girls do, k.

To the SJW(s) that are complaining about how their lives are being regulated. Once again, they are still choosing to go through with that. They know that this is what is expected of them the moment they fucking sign up. As someone pointed out, they have an image that they are supposed to uphold, and idols there are looked at differently than 'idols' of the west. They are supposed to have a pure image. and. yes. that includes not having relations with other men or women. Yah, sucks, but let's not forget all the benefits that come with the job, k.

To the SJW that literally compared idols to WW2.


There was another one or two, but I ain't going back to find it. These comment are kind of OT, as it were, but sometimes you just read something so stupid that you can't really not say anything.


I ain't replying to any more off base topics anymore, dough. Keep the salt at bay gaize


And I ain't even claiming to know this topic that well, as I only really actively listen to μ's (Love Live)(Akb48 is really good though; digression). But I have enough common sense to know that there are some pretty extreme cultural differences going on, and don't even fucking start complaining about their culture because ours is fucked in a number of ways: Let's just be honest here. Aint no one perfect. Come the fuck on.
41699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16
Look, even if wotas can be creepy, there are many harmless AKB fans, in addition to the batshit crazy ones. They're like kpop fans. They have a bad rep based on a few kooks that pollute a fairly large pool. Not all the men involved are stalkers, not all of them are lonely, basement dwelling nerds, not all of them are even MEN, there are plenty of women and girls who favor the 48 groups and idols of Japan as well, domestically and internationally. To deny the existence of all the good fans based on the bad ones is asinine, really, but you can't necessarily blame the oblivious outsider either, only try to tell them that it's not the case.

I will admit that Japan does have a certain sexualization of youth, and innocence, as well as of the schoolgirl uniform. Lest we forget, however, that it's a completely different society, and Japan certainly isn't the only society to invoke imagery of the 'sexy youth' concept. The west ain't innocent in this either, everyone just condemns Japan because they are an easy target, but in the west, there are plenty of underage people who are put in sexualized situations, especially people in the modeling and acting industry. Nobody likes to acknowledge it, and it's viewed as a "different" type of sexualization based on the fact that it's come from the west and isn't so glaringly based off of the "lolita" concept, the way that Asian sexualization is. Annnnyway, I'm not going to say that the sexualization of youth is RIGHT, but all the same, to say it's restricted to East Asia alone is a fucking lie, highly hypocritical, and just plain stupid.
49485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
I found nothing offensive about this group. I thought they were cute and gave the impression of innocence and purity. Innocence and purity does not sale for long in the USA eventually an agent will tell them that to make $$$ you need to be slutty.
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 2/10/16 , edited 2/10/16
I liked the song I didn't like the dancing.

Was this suppose to be offensive? Why because their in bikinis? Because they are not all 18? 15 is legal where I live.
God Americans always want to bitch about something and call themselves social justice warriors.
People that find this offensive are the kind of people that made someone like Anita Sarkeesian popular.
Morons
9303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/10/16
No way in hell you would see it in any western nation. Maybe Russia?
Even the groupd like tokyo girls style would never happen in a western nation.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/16

Ranwolf wrote:
So let me get this straight. These girls obviously have some sort of hardcore passion about being idols, after all they are putting up with draconic and outdated rules in order to be one. And instead of making the chasing of their passions and dreams easier you think continuing this bullshit status quo is best.

Once again: idol groups are not a grrl power get-together clubs, they are a business. They are in the business of selling dreams. Not dating, or creating the appearance of not dating, is part of the idol business. Not drinking and not smoking are also part of it. If you give idols free reign to do as they please, they are no longer idols.


I mean Christ mate even the most hardcore of Special Force units don't put that kind of barrier between themselves and prospective recruits. You're basically saying in order to chase their dreams these girls should put up with a discipline that not even say the Airborne Rangers of the United States Army are expected to live under.

I'm almost speechless here. These mental gymnastics you're employing to justify why girls should be allowed to do whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want, with whoever they want, for whatever reason they want, are simply amazing. I know feminists are batshit crazy, but I still keep being surprised.


Ranwolf wrote:
Sorry mate as a soldier I only have sympathy for those willing to fight for their beliefs and passions. Everyone else is a sub human coward in my eyes.

In other words if you aren't willing to fight for something better then ya deserve nothing.

If you had actually served in the military you would not be saying nonsense like this:

]I mean Christ mate even the most hardcore of Special Force units don't put that kind of barrier between themselves and prospective recruits. You're basically saying in order to chase their dreams these girls should put up with a discipline that not even say the Airborne Rangers of the United States Army are expected to live under.

And there's no way a feminist pussy like you would survive even one day in the military.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


To the SJW who posted the girl who shaved her hair off. Yah sure, public shaming is shitty, but let's not forget that she still chose to go through with that. She obviously wanted to stay in the group enough to go through with that, so let's not belittle her decision and pretend to know more about what the girls are feeling than the girls do, k.

To the SJW(s) that are complaining about how their lives are being regulated. Once again, they are still choosing to go through with that. They know that this is what is expected of them the moment they fucking sign up. As someone pointed out, they have an image that they are supposed to uphold, and idols there are looked at differently than 'idols' of the west. They are supposed to have a pure image. and. yes. that includes not having relations with other men or women. Yah, sucks, but let's not forget all the benefits that come with the job, k.


An SJW really? Thanks for the laugh babes.

The point still stands, an akb48 style idol band in America would face controversy and a negative backlash in America if the company controlled the performer's lives to the extent they do in Japan. This challenge would make it harder for the group to achieve commercial success in America on par with its Japanese or Chinese equivalents.
51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16
I think people in the west would think the only thing an idol can be is what they see on that shitty American idol show.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16

Voc666IV wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


To the SJW who posted the girl who shaved her hair off. Yah sure, public shaming is shitty, but let's not forget that she still chose to go through with that. She obviously wanted to stay in the group enough to go through with that, so let's not belittle her decision and pretend to know more about what the girls are feeling than the girls do, k.

To the SJW(s) that are complaining about how their lives are being regulated. Once again, they are still choosing to go through with that. They know that this is what is expected of them the moment they fucking sign up. As someone pointed out, they have an image that they are supposed to uphold, and idols there are looked at differently than 'idols' of the west. They are supposed to have a pure image. and. yes. that includes not having relations with other men or women. Yah, sucks, but let's not forget all the benefits that come with the job, k.


An SJW really? Thanks for the laugh babes.

The point still stands, an akb48 style idol band in America would face controversy and a negative backlash in America if the company controlled the performer's lives to the extent they do in Japan. This challenge would make it harder for the group to achieve commercial success in America on par with its Japanese or Chinese equivalents.

Yah; if the shoe fits, bratja.
27275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

Look, even if wotas can be creepy, there are many harmless AKB fans, in addition to the batshit crazy ones. They're like kpop fans. They have a bad rep based on a few kooks that pollute a fairly large pool. Not all the men involved are stalkers, not all of them are lonely, basement dwelling nerds, not all of them are even MEN, there are plenty of women and girls who favor the 48 groups and idols of Japan as well, domestically and internationally. To deny the existence of all the good fans based on the bad ones is asinine, really, but you can't necessarily blame the oblivious outsider either, only try to tell them that it's not the case.


...and even TENNIS fans.

I don't know if people remember the '93 Monica Seles stabbing.

It happened right on the tennis court for Pete's sake. There are all sorts of fans in any fandom.


Ranwolf wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


That what voters felt when they voted for Sanders and Trump in New Hampshire

So try not to lump everyone and everything together mmk?


Sorry mate as a soldier I only have sympathy for those willing to fight for their beliefs and passions. Everyone else is a sub human coward in my eyes.

In other words if you aren't willing to fight for something better then ya deserve nothing.


Much of the topic has turned into how the industry is. There is no shortage of that discussion, trust me.

The thing is, if the condition (e.g. the same industry in its state) doesn't exist then there are no beneficiaries of it either. It's not as if all the fans actually want all the idols to start dating. If that's the case, then maybe a call for a virtual tar-feather for their "cowardice" would be warranted.

Again, take the tech industry, for example. As you probably know, high-tech office workers don't have unions. What would happen if, say, all the people working at Apple's Cupertino headquarters decided one day to unionize and walk off the job?

1. Apple would lose quite a lot of money for a few days, possibly even a couple of weeks, in lost productivity
2. All of the Apple high tech office workers would be fired, replaced with eager replacements in no time flat

How exactly would the "fight" go on, then?
Posted 2/11/16
because they don't have wings or robot legs?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16

nanikore2 wrote:



Much of the topic has turned into how the industry is. There is no shortage of that discussion, trust me.

The thing is, if the condition (e.g. the same industry in its state) doesn't exist then there are no beneficiaries of it either. It's not as if all the fans actually want all the idols to start dating. If that's the case, then maybe a call for a virtual tar-feather for their "cowardice" would be warranted.

Again, take the tech industry, for example. As you probably know, high-tech office workers don't have unions. What would happen if, say, all the people working at Apple's Cupertino headquarters decided one day to unionize and walk off the job?

1. Apple would lose quite a lot of money for a few days, possibly even a couple of weeks, in lost productivity
2. All of the Apple high tech office workers would be fired, replaced with eager replacements in no time flat

How exactly would the "fight" go on, then?


The same way any other fight goes on, through sheer numbers. Don't let anyone fool you, very few wars have ever been won by the outnumbered party. Tactics, skill, and organization are all very good hallmarks of an excellent army. But the side with the most bodies in uniform tend to be the ones left standing in the end.

Of course how you would apply that thinking to a situation like the Idols or your tech example is difficult. One of our fellow forumers whom shall remain nameless who is a misogynist prick and is a perfect example of what sort of opposition the Idols would face trying to change such Fascist thinking. Trying to create an army out of attention starved fans who jack off to their idols single status is not a task I'd envy anyone.

As for the Apple example, that is consumerism and human desperation at it's finest. They likely need an entire shift away from Capitalism to fix.
27275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 2/11/16 , edited 2/11/16

Voc666IV wrote:

The point still stands, an akb48 style idol band in America would face controversy and a negative backlash in America if the company controlled the performer's lives to the extent they do in Japan. This challenge would make it harder for the group to achieve commercial success in America on par with its Japanese or Chinese equivalents.


Actually, I would say that even if the members of an American sister group are all allowed to date, the backlash would still be too much.


Kerst wrote:

God Americans always want to bitch about something and call themselves social justice warriors.
Morons


*whisper* social justice warrior is a demeaning term. Nobody calls themselves that, and if you call other people that they'd be offended.
27275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 2/11/16

Ranwolf wrote:

Of course how you would apply that thinking to a situation like the Idols or your tech example is difficult. One of our fellow forumers whom shall remain nameless who is a misogynist prick and is a perfect example of what sort of opposition the Idols would face trying to change such Fascist thinking. Trying to create an army out of attention starved fans who jack off to their idols single status is not a task I'd envy anyone.

As for the Apple example, that is consumerism and human desperation at it's finest. They likely need an entire shift away from Capitalism to fix.


That doesn't make sense.

If the idols themselves don't fight back (they are not trying to change things) I don't imagine you calling them cowards.

As for the shift away from Capitalism... no comment except "I won't hold my breath"
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/11/16

nanikore2 wrote:



That doesn't make sense.

If the idols themselves don't fight back (they are not trying to change things) I don't imagine you calling them cowards.

As for the shift away from Capitalism... no comment except "I won't hold my breath"


Battles are won by heroes, wars are won by armies. The Idols themselves may need to lead the charge mate, but without an army to back them up so to speak it'll be a short and costly war for them that will achieve very little. You can't change the Idol's situation without changing the mindset of both their fans and their employers. Their employers are fucking dicks but it's only because the fans demand such things from them.

Without changing the way the fans demand such a ridiculous lifestyle out of their idols the girls themselves can throw themselves against the guns of their employers all they want so to speak and it would achieve nothing really.

As for the Capitalism thing yeah I have to agree, those benefiting from such a corrupted system aren't likely wanting to change it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.