First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply (My review on) Keyboard/Mouse Vs Controller
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/16 , edited 2/12/16
Theres so many people saying "Keyboard and mouse is better" and especially those who say that, and right when Me and this person boot up Ultra Street Fighter 4 or KoF13 on PC, this person grabs a controller, its kinda mind boggling.

This is really hitting some nerves when people say this, that Keyboard and mouse is better is because either they're playing an FPS (which I will say the keyboard and mouse only does one thing really good is aiming) or they're playing some dumb RTT RPG like League of Legends, but to play any other game, they'll grab a controller or be wishing for one.

The controller does everything, its faster, its at your thumbs mercy with vastly superior speed, sh*t, LOOK AT THE SMASH TOURNAMENTS, people using controllers, you couldn't do any of that stuff with a keyboard and they probably already know, your keyboard is ultra slower with its f'ing bulky buttons that you need to press down your fingers on but with a controller, you only apply pressure and the button is instantly pressed.

Not only that but the Keyboard in movement is limited to 8 directions (WASD or Arrows).
A controller has two control stick with infinite directions and a D-Pad with the superior speed of 8 directions.

NOT ONLY that but heres the deal, Nintendo is kinda trusted at times when it comes to designing stuff, the WiiU gamepad works but it isnt the best but also they supply the Pro and classic controllers, AND THE GAMECUBE CONTROLLERS.

I'm saying if Keyboard and mouse was anything better, why hasn't Nintendo made games with the keyboard and mouse and ever even a PC game?, And I dont buy the whole "Nintendo makes stuff that people are familiar with" Because loooking at the Nintendo Wii Nun-chuck and the WiiU game pad and that... yoga... thing.... I dont think thats the case!

Sh*t, if we're talking about making stuff people are familiar with, as I said they supplied the Gamecube controllers for smash4.

You can't play too well any other game with keyboard and mouse thats outside this small circle of RTT RPG games and FPS games, you probably could play them, but the controllers will always be superior, AND ACTUALLY I've been doing some interesting research in alternate controllers, like something completely different than having a controller in hand, more like steering wheels and joysticks and maybe even that giant f'ing Mechwarrior thing for some mech game (I really dont know what its called) and other stuff too.

And that would be cool if someone could point out what the Mech board game thing is. It has an eject button and levers I think? a Link would be cool too.

And Before anyone starts saying "You can't play Dota or League of legends with a controller" thats a completely different subject due to the way they designed the game and I can compare that to a Zelda game and draw dots in showing it is possible but League of Legends and Dota sucks for so many reasons.

Like I said, my objective is not to make people mad, I want to make games, and when that time comes, I refuse to feed my consumers garbage.
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 2/12/16
some games work better with a keyboard, while others work better with a controller. having said that, outright saying that "keyboard is superior" and then picking a controller seems pretty bizarre and contradictory.

as for Nintendo, i don't think they made any game outside their system. the only exception is that mii thing for iOS/android (which isn't even a game, but just a social app) (no, emulators don't count)
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/12/16
Controllers are better for games designed with that interface style in mind.

Keyboard + mouse offers far mor flex ability and complexity for games built to take advantage.
9234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/12/16

AzuroHeart wrote:

And that would be cool if someone could point out what the Mech board game thing is. It has an eject button and levers I think? a Link would be cool too.



You mean this, the Xbox game Steel Battalion? The one that deletes your save if yer mech blows up and you don't eject in time?
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/16

retrometroid wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:

And that would be cool if someone could point out what the Mech board game thing is. It has an eject button and levers I think? a Link would be cool too.



You mean this, the Xbox game Steel Battalion? The one that deletes your save if yer mech blows up and you don't eject in time?


Geez I dunno but I was looking into different way to play a game, plus in many aspects, Keyboard fell behind.
15630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/16 , edited 2/12/16
For me, a keyboard and mouse is the preferred option when I play video games. Games with re-bindable keys or those that allow specific actions to be mapped will generally play better with a keyboard for the sheer fact you don't have to do a button combo just to perform a basic function. You can also place actions in generally accessible locations (like a button on your mouse). And this isn't limited to the game genres you've discounted (RTS and FPS; both of which make up a significant amount of the market).

That is also the reason that fighting games generally play better with controllers is because they're based on combos using a finite number of buttons (once you've reached that number there is little reason to have more). Smash 4 for example rehashes several buttons to perform the exact same action on anything beyond the GameCube controller. (this being said by the guy who has 2000+ matches in FG)

I've played dozens of 3rd-person games with mouse and keyboard with absolutely no issue. I've also played dozens with a controller too. To the point of WASD being inferior, I argue it's not given the mouse and its free mobility in all directions at any speed. A controller can't do that (even with all of the acceleration it tacks on) so the second control stick is meant to compensate for that.
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/16

To the point of WASD being inferior, I argue it's not given the mouse and its free mobility in all directions at any speed. A controller can't do that (even with all of the acceleration it tacks on) so the second control stick is meant to compensate for that.


Again thats incorrect, and the evidence to this is because of a different subject, the subject on how the game is made, for a majority of the credible games and not, I say Credible because someone will point to some "Click and kill" like dumbass WoW or even a Top-Down game where they made the game not at all mapped to a controller, thats already been easily been made to a controller even with Zelda in the 1980's, and talking modern games, Spiral Knights, Link Between worlds, Secrets of Grindea, Shining force and many more!

Your argument on the mouse free mobility is invalid, and I know I've almost only mentioned fighting games, but think of any other game like Racing, Platformers ranging from 3D and 2D, Hack and slash like Dynasty Warriors, where the extra speed is needed.

Your using your entire hand with the mouse and you need to point and click, an input for movement, and that is slower than a game made for the stick that I could just flick it in a direction and I'd be facing and moving that direction instantly which a game where you have full control over is superior than a game where your just tell a character to do something, rather than being in full control with many different movement options that you can get good at and utilize as a player, your being at the mercy of some stupid number RPG system that completely determines your worth as a player, weather or not you win or lose, but not because of ANYTHING you could do, but how many numbers you have, that in a sense your at the game's mercy, and not the skill of the player. (Aka League of Legends, Dota 1&2, Diablo games and Torchlight)

Its the Subject and argument against Games and how they're made, and if they are credible to being actually good games or not.

And I'm not buying the whole "You gotta use these strategies to play League of legends", PEOPLE... just because theres a strategy to a game, does not excuse that it sucks, if Sonic Boom and Sonic 06 have strategies to play them, weather or not its making the game not glitch, then a strategy can virtually exist anywhere, and this would be evidence.

With this evidence, now is the question of credibility, what is credible to a game weather its good or not?

Now dont think I hate RPG's, I love'em, like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star and a bunch others, but Fire Emblem is a gridded strategy game that the gameplay and being a better tactician and managing peoples EXP and equipment and making the right choices and the correct placements could determine the battle.
And you got alot more to work with, like Weapon proficiency, or the triangle, and your stats actually do things like 5 More Speed points than your opponent then you get dual strike, alternate weapons like Throwing spears, hand axes and tomahawks, Magic ranged swords and brave weapons, its alittle more diverse.

My point being is I know people will defend Keyboard and Mouse due to their love of really stupid games, I mean, I've taken these games apart and analyzed them, broken them down and observed and the same with games that turned out to be freaking awesome, wwaayy better than these Wow games, again with FPS's, a few action games, like...

People will try to argue with me with games that are uncredible to be really fantastic games, in fact, I don't think legitimately anyone could bring to me any game that's is fantastic and is better with keyboard or mouse and that is usable with that.

What I'm wanting to say is that things can be better people, the fun you might be having playing these games, I say you could be having an even better time playing games that are fun and awesome, and in the palms of your hands.
Its mind boggling that theres games that are considered Esports games that are down right atrocious, But recently I've heard Splatoon has made it to the Esports, which is pretty cool.


7016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/16
Certain games play better with a mouse and keyboard, others with a gamepad or steering wheel, or dance mat. I don't understand why you're so upset over this.
15630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/13/16

AzuroHeart wrote:
Its the Subject and argument against Games and how they're made, and if they are credible to being actually good games or not.

And I'm not buying the whole "You gotta use these strategies to play League of legends", PEOPLE... just because theres a strategy to a game, does not excuse that it sucks, if Sonic Boom and Sonic 06 have strategies to play them, weather or not its making the game not glitch, then a strategy can virtually exist anywhere, and this would be evidence.

With this evidence, now is the question of credibility, what is credible to a game weather its good or not?

I'll have to apologize for this in advance, but wasn't your argument supposed to be whether or not a controller is superior to mouse/keyboard? Your argument is trying to leverage the "terrible games are the only ones that don't work with controllers" while then brushing huge genres under that carpet. If you're going to argue from that direction then do it, but don't also try to say one control decision is inherently superior than the other.

Your mention of racing games is a bit moot because those are specialized controllers designed for a very specific purpose. Those are not general purpose controllers and so of course a generic device will lose to a specialized one. Arcade games can be notoriously bad ports given they can't use their proprietary controls anymore. However, you'd never use those controllers for a game in another genre.

The only point you've presented is speed, but again, a controller doesn't necessarily win against a keyboard/mouse. All of my actions are mapped to keys that are in close proximity to one another so it's hardly slower to use them over a controller. And as I mentioned, 3rd-person games are just fine with keyboard/mouse (the only games I couldn't play keyboard/mouse with was Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Dead Space because they tied their camera movement to the framerate).

At this point, I'd just say use the device you feel most comfortable with. It's clearly a controller for you and there is nothing wrong with that.
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/13/16
Damn, I guess I was playing video games the wrong way all along.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a controller so I can play Sim City.
2742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Nightosphere
Offline
Posted 2/13/16 , edited 2/13/16
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/16 , edited 2/14/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:

Damn, I guess I was playing video games the wrong way all along.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a controller so I can play Sim City.


This actually made me laugh, good one! xD
Edit: Wait a minute, isn't one of those pictures Roller coaster Tycoon? xD
948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/16

AzuroHeart wrote:


Kanudelgruber wrote:

Damn, I guess I was playing video games the wrong way all along.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a controller so I can play Sim City.


This actually made me laugh, good one! xD
Edit: Wait a minute, isn't one of those pictures Roller coaster Tycoon? xD


They're from three different games, one of which is Sim City.
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/16

Kanudelgruber wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:


Kanudelgruber wrote:

Damn, I guess I was playing video games the wrong way all along.
Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a controller so I can play Sim City.


This actually made me laugh, good one! xD
Edit: Wait a minute, isn't one of those pictures Roller coaster Tycoon? xD


They're from three different games, one of which is Sim City.


Oh dude I have not played too much of Sim City, but I remember Nukes and aliens and tornadoes and stuff xD
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/16

AzuroHeart wrote:


retrometroid wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:

And that would be cool if someone could point out what the Mech board game thing is. It has an eject button and levers I think? a Link would be cool too.



You mean this, the Xbox game Steel Battalion? The one that deletes your save if yer mech blows up and you don't eject in time?


Geez I dunno but I was looking into different way to play a game, plus in many aspects, Keyboard fell behind.


This kinda reminds me of the Gundam Pod games that I've never played T.T
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.