First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply (My review on) Keyboard/Mouse Vs Controller
7070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/14/16 , edited 2/14/16

retrometroid wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:

And that would be cool if someone could point out what the Mech board game thing is. It has an eject button and levers I think? a Link would be cool too.



You mean this, the Xbox game Steel Battalion? The one that deletes your save if yer mech blows up and you don't eject in time?


I remember how much I wanted to play that game back when the Xbox was launched. I was like 12 and didn't have the money lol (it was like $300-400 or something back then... for a single game... not to mention online console multiplayer wasn't very big back then either and I don't even remember if it could go online lol).

OT:

Keyboard/Mouse VS console controller really, really depends on a lot of things. A keyboard/mouse setup allows for much more complexity and versatility overall. Controllers generally provide better ergonomics and mobility. Then you have specialized setups that work well for specific genres of games (or even just specific games) like HOTAS rigs and such (above pic in quote is an example of a HOTAS setup).

FPS: really doesn't matter, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Strafing and shooting work pretty much equally just as well, while the console style controller's "dead zone" might affect aiming precision just a tiny bit (really only affects aiming when stationary, while moving most players strafe anyways... so... yeah).

Fighters: a specialized gamepad or the keyboard probably works best for these types of games overall. Using a standard console style controller really limits the number of fingers that can press buttons (thumbs for most buttons while you might use the pointer finger for the occasional trigger button; advanced users might have the middle finger on a secondary trigger/bumber button), while a fighter gamepad or keyboard allows for all fingers to be hitting buttons to execute those combos more fluidly.

Action-combat and hack-n-slash: Both the keyboard/mouse combo and console style controller should work fine in this case; more of a preference thing than anything else. Although, it also depends on the complexity and number of attack variations.

MOBAS: Keyboard/mouse wins out here... Simpler examples of this genre could work pretty well with a console controller... if they weren't so click spammy. While the more complex examples would have difficulty being working as well as their keyboard/mouse versions.

In any case, most games only see a slight benefit one way or the other (unless the devs did a really piss poor job with input...).
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/14/16
Personally I will always prefer a controller, I've yet to find a single keyboard set up I can honestly say was comfortable. This despite a 10 k spent over two years trying to find a board for my gaming rig that didn't feel so damn carpal tunnel syndrome inducing after more than a half hour. There is no damn reason a input method has to be uncomfortable expect sheer laziness, get your shit together pc gaming and build your damn keyboards as comfortable as a controller is .
9311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/15/16
Well, i grew up playing games on console and at the arcades and i had no interest in computers what so ever and the thought of playing games on a keyboard and mouse was not appealing in the slightest.
I was like this until i was like 20 or probably older.

Now, i play 99.99% of my games on PC with a keyboard and a mouse and it is SOOOOOOOOOO much better than a control pad.

But, in all honesty, its mostly for FPS games that i consider a key board and mouse an absolute must. Many games are fine either way. I mean i always like playing JRPG's on console with a control pad, of course platform games and fighting games are much better with a control pad but i dont really play games like that anymore.
But FPS games, a keyboard and mouse is far superior. Really any game that is 1st person is. Probaly 3rd person also. And its good for RTS games and MMo's also.

I played Dragon age 2 on xbox becasue it seemed more designed for console/control pad. But i played Dragon age inquisition on PC with keyboard and mouse and it seemed a bit shit at first but i got used to it.
Assasins Creed seemed awkward with keyboard and mouse. But yeah, how anyone could play Battlefield or COD with a control pad is beyond me?
Racing games could probably go either way.

Of course it helps if you buy a good mouse. A mouse with extra buttons on the side. I usually have melee and grenade and push to talk all bound to my mouse.
And you can adjust the weight of the mouse and the mouse sensitivity/dps very thoroughly and precise if you really want to.

I dont think a control pad is really needed for a game unless its button mashing or combo's and timing involved.

As others have said, different games are better with control pad and others are better with a keyboard and mouse. I prefer mouse/keyboard overal. But my taste in games changed also. I would not play street fighter with keyboard and mouse.

103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 2/16/16
DEFINELY Controller. More control :> *BA DUM PSH*
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/16
I've yet to hear anyone say "I play Super Mario World with a keyboard and it's so much better!" or something when I literately said people will defend keyboard and mouse because they can aim better or can play a game unoptimized for Controller when completely it can.
29349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/16/16
Depends entirely on the game- and on the person playing it. Just because most people would probably say Super Mario World is better with a controller doesn't make it the best option in general for gaming. Have you seen anyone do this with a controller- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8 ???
If I play Fallout 4 on PC I do so with keyboard and mouse. When I play Fairy Fencer F on PC I use a controller.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/16/16

MrAnimeSK wrote:



Of course it helps if you buy a good mouse. A mouse with extra buttons on the side. I usually have melee and grenade and push to talk all bound to my mouse.



Push to talk what are you a cave man, voice command activated headsets are the way to go, disable and enable much faster. And it's more intuitive to boot. Plus that way none of my fingers leave actually important keys. And besides FPS don't need the complexity of a keyboard and mouse.

There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.

If you had used something like a RTS as an example I'd lend more credence to your opinion.
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/16

There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.


This is almost on dot man! xD
Posted 2/16/16 , edited 2/16/16
Are we really whining over other people's choice of control method? Seriously?
I like my mouse and keyboard, if you want to use a controller have fun. They feel awkward to me at least for camera/look control.


11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Online
Posted 2/16/16 , edited 2/16/16

AzuroHeart wrote:


There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.


This is almost on dot man! xD


For FPS's the issue has never been the number of buttons. It's all about speed and precision. Some FPSs don't really require much speed and precision so it's really not a big issue, but some do. That being said, I more often play FPSs on console or with a controller cause it's what I'm more used to. I've always gotten CoD for consoles and played Titanfall on my PC with my Xbox controller. But I'm now playing Overwatch with Mouse/Keyboard and greatly enjoying it.
9311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/16/16 , edited 2/16/16

Ranwolf wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:



Of course it helps if you buy a good mouse. A mouse with extra buttons on the side. I usually have melee and grenade and push to talk all bound to my mouse.



Push to talk what are you a cave man, voice command activated headsets are the way to go, disable and enable much faster. And it's more intuitive to boot. Plus that way none of my fingers leave actually important keys. And besides FPS don't need the complexity of a keyboard and mouse.

There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.

If you had used something like a RTS as an example I'd lend more credence to your opinion.


I haven't seen those head sets. But i have a good expensive one and iam not going to replace it for something like that.
May finger dose not leave an important key to talk.
Well a mouse is much more precise than a analog on a control pad. At least IMO. WSAD and a mouse , the movment just feels so much better. So much smoother and so much easier/accurate to aim.
I find with a control pad its easy to over aim and etc. But maybe you use aim assist?
And space bar for jump. left Ctrl to crouch, Z to prone, R to reload, left Shift to sprint, Q to bring up commands/spot, mouse buttons for melee, primary and secondary fire, push to talk, greanade, can use either mouse wheel or hot keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc) to switch weapons is PERFECT.
I play Battleifield and i love having my set up like this. I have a good mouse, big mouse pad (like a bar matt) good key board (the keys light up), good computer chair, good head set and i wouldn't play a game like this with a control pad if you paid me.
Oh and i did mention RTS games.
But its a personal choice. You sound like a trolling console noob if anything?
Youngster. lol


Barbobot wrote:


AzuroHeart wrote:


There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.


This is almost on dot man! xD


For FPS's the issue has never been the number of buttons. It's all about speed and precision. Some FPSs don't really require much speed and precision so it's really not a big issue, but some do. That being said, I more often play FPSs on console or with a controller cause it's what I'm more used to. I've always gotten CoD for consoles and played Titanfall on my PC with my Xbox controller. But I'm now playing Overwatch with Mouse/Keyboard and greatly enjoying it.


Yep, pretty much this. I played one cod game on xbox i returned it and got it on PC.

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/16/16

MrAnimeSK wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:



Of course it helps if you buy a good mouse. A mouse with extra buttons on the side. I usually have melee and grenade and push to talk all bound to my mouse.



Push to talk what are you a cave man, voice command activated headsets are the way to go, disable and enable much faster. And it's more intuitive to boot. Plus that way none of my fingers leave actually important keys. And besides FPS don't need the complexity of a keyboard and mouse.

There are a grand total of five possible inputs need in a FPS, aim, shoot, grenade toss and switch, and alt fire if you have something like an under barrel grenade launcher or shotgun attachment. A gamecube's controller has enough buttons to handle that for crying out loud.

If you had used something like a RTS as an example I'd lend more credence to your opinion.


I haven't seen those head sets. But i have a good expensive one and iam not going to replace it for something like that.
May finger dose not leave an important key to talk.
Well a mouse is much more precise than a analog on a control pad. At least IMO. WSAD and a mouse , the movment just feels so much better. So much smoother and so much easier/accurate to aim.
I find with a control pad its easy to over aim and etc. But maybe you use aim assist?
And space bar for jump. left Ctrl to crouch, Z to prone, R to reload, left Shift to sprint, Q to bring up commands/spot, mouse buttons for melee, primary and secondary fire, push to talk, greanade, can use either mouse wheel or hot keys (1,2,3,4,5, etc) to switch weapons is PERFECT.
I play Battleifield and i love having my set up like this. I have a good mouse, big mouse pad (like a bar matt) good key board (the keys light up), good computer chair, good head set and i wouldn't play a game like this with a control pad if you paid me.
Oh and i did mention RTS games.
But its a personal choice. You sound like a trolling console noob if anything?
Youngster. lol

[



Oh yes cause trading in a 8 angle movement system for a four angle system that is WASD is an improvement. And needing to switch from the primary weapon is all that important. Honestly the only time I ever had to switch from the primary weapon is when it has run out of ammo.

And honestly mate I thought insults were my thing, is insulting me the only thing you have?

9311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/17/16 , edited 2/17/16
^if you dont ever switch to your pistol then you must play crap games or be a real noob. You die reloading alot? or are you just that good that you always kill everyone with a head shot or with one clip?
Anyways to each their own.
I like what i like, you like what you like. And iam guessing that you play COD? lol.
Anyways.
EDIT: and LOL at you claming that WSAD is a four angle movment ha ha ha um, have you ever played a game with a mouse before?
The mouse is what is used to look around, to look side ways and up and down. WSAD is used to move forward and backwards and to strafe left and right. The rest is all done with the mouse.
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 2/17/16

AzuroHeart wrote:

Not only that but the Keyboard in movement is limited to 8 directions (WASD or Arrows).
A controller has two control stick with infinite directions and a D-Pad with the superior speed of 8 directions.



Explain how exactly you got to this part, both use only 1 side to move in a direction which is the same 8 directions while the other is used to aim. playing right handed, WSAD would be your left stick while the mouse would be your right
9311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
OP got burnt.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.