First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Netflix , Hulu or Amazon Prime?
Posted 2/19/16
My choice would be Netflix >_<
1075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
Netflix no question for me. Hulu is cool but I get most of my current TV shows from the net, and Amazon Prime is a huge ripoff IMO. You pay for the service and then still have to pay to rent most of the movies individually, from what I understand.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
Amazon Prime is not a rip-off. the main purpose of prime is quick, free shipping. the video streaming service is just an after-thought.
(some movies/series are available for free, while you need to pay for others - usually the top blockbusters)

also: iirc hulu premium still have ads lmao. no, just no.
7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
I have Netflix, but I just wish it was a lot easier to find stuff to watch. It probably takes just as long to find something to watch as watching what I've found on there.

But it could be that most of the content doesn't tickle my fancy.

4682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
Hulu with upgrade for no commercials. I watch a lot of news so its mostly biased for that reason. But hulu also has a butt load of anime and other good shows. Their movies suck so much ass though. Only movie I was happy to see on there was Escape from New York. Classic.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
what's even the point of a paid hulu membership with ads..? it just seems like a rip-off.
i'm not too found of Netflix making dub adaptations and claiming said to be "Netflix original"
other than that, it seems to provide the most options for series/movies.
Posted 2/19/16
none of the above
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
I use Amazon Prime since I order a lot of shit. Saves me money in the long run. Netflix/Hulu I have used before and from time to time I will pay for a month when I feel like movie binging hardcore.
1075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

Amazon Prime is not a rip-off. the main purpose of prime is quick, free shipping. the video streaming service is just an after-thought.
(some movies/series are available for free, while you need to pay for others - usually the top blockbusters)

also: iirc hulu premium still have ads lmao. no, just no.


Ohh okay, I didn't realize it was part of the whole Prime package. I guess I thought it was a separate thing or something. I definitely like Prime in general, so if it's just an added bonus I guess that's pretty cool.
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

Burgermonz wrote:Ohh okay, I didn't realize it was part of the whole Prime package. I guess I thought it was a separate thing or something. I definitely like Prime in general, so if it's just an added bonus I guess that's pretty cool.


you get free, fast shipping (including same day), free ebooks (with kindle), free prime music, in addition to a limited amount of video and music. (and unlimited storage of photos, if anyone cares about that feature). the only downside is it doesn't apply for internatonal shipping, or at least i don't think so.
224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / F
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
Amazon prime. I can do more than just watch movies, I can buy stuff too, including food and books.
14777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/20/16

Burgermonz wrote:

Netflix no question for me. Hulu is cool but I get most of my current TV shows from the net, and Amazon Prime is a huge ripoff IMO. You pay for the service and then still have to pay to rent most of the movies individually, from what I understand.


They have a Prime service, which is basically their own Netflix of "free" videos with your subscription, but it's getting emptier than Netflix by the minute. Only a diminishing handful of past mainstream-studio releases, pretty much everything airing on Viacom (MTV, Comedy Central, Nick) and PBS, and the rest is pure random.
The "random" is more the ripoff than anything else, but if you've seen "Rewind This!", and remember the days of searching out obscure titles from the back shelves of mom-and-pop rental stores, Amazon has whole backrooms of strange public-domain titles that, if you search for another few extra minutes, can bring up some interesting serendipity.
But that's more salvage-operation than an advantage to having the subscription--More like "What else can I get after I paid for the free shipping?"

Netflix took a big hit to its mainstream movies when StarzPlay pulled out--
And then Netflix became the symbolic "buzzword" to studios' new fear that subscription services would take away all their business, so now studios don't WANT to license their "real" movies to NF anymore, when they can get that sweet VOD money themselves. Now, if you don't want to watch Daredevil, you're pretty much stuck with gay movies, telenovelas, and indie horror/drama/documentaries that have nowhere else to go after the arthouses shut down.
We'd like to see it come back to the one-stop source it used to be, but realistically, that's not likely to happen. Those who five years ago sold their disk collection saying "Why bother, Netflix has it all now!", here, I'll lend you some boots to kick yourself with; you'll probably be wanting to very soon. (I was too smart to fall for such nonsense.)

Hulu is for those who cut the cable but still want to watch current network shows. I did, and don't.
But in addition to its collected "pile" of anime licenses from every single streaming channel--CR, Funi, Anime Channel, Neon Alley--they've also got the entire Criterion foreign/classics catalog, and if you've never delved into that for a home-study course in World Film history, you'll have viewing for the next year. (Start with the Kurosawas. )
And for those who just want Netflix for some vintage TV reruns for weekday comfort food, I've found Hulu has the bigger stock of vintage 60's, 70's and 80's network reruns from Fox, Universal and Shout Factory. There's a Hulu ad montaging great TV catchphrases from the 70's and 80's, and if you're a Millennial kid who's been deprived of a generation when we actually watched TV, Hulu's got the sources for you.
xxJing 
37207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
It really depends

Both Netflix and Hulu have certain TV shows, they really can't be compared in that department. Netflix has much better movies, Hulu has much more anime (possibly even more than CR).

Amazon Prime on the other hand has a decent selection of movies and a decent selection of tv shows, the anime selection is really weak, but people generally don't subscribe to Amazon Prime for the streaming service, they subscribe because it's $80 / year for free 2 day shipping. If you order a lot, that is a great deal.

As to which streaming service I personally utilize the most, I'd have to say Hulu. I almost never watch movies, it's primarily TV-shows or anime for me. Usually when I feel like watching a movie it's something rather new. If I can rent it, then I do, if not I do go the less ethical route. I refuse to buy a movie before I have seen it.
1075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Orlando, FL
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

Ejanss wrote:


Burgermonz wrote:

Netflix no question for me. Hulu is cool but I get most of my current TV shows from the net, and Amazon Prime is a huge ripoff IMO. You pay for the service and then still have to pay to rent most of the movies individually, from what I understand.


They have a Prime service, which is basically their own Netflix of "free" videos with your subscription, but it's getting emptier than Netflix by the minute. Only a diminishing handful of past mainstream-studio releases, pretty much everything airing on Viacom (MTV, Comedy Central, Nick) and PBS, and the rest is pure random.
The "random" is more the ripoff than anything else, but if you've seen "Rewind This!", and remember the days of searching out obscure titles from the back shelves of mom-and-pop rental stores, Amazon has whole backrooms of strange public-domain titles that, if you search for another few extra minutes, can bring up some interesting serendipity.
But that's more salvage-operation than an advantage to having the subscription--More like "What else can I get after I paid for the free shipping?"

Netflix took a big hit to its mainstream movies when StarzPlay pulled out--
And then Netflix became the symbolic "buzzword" to studios' new fear that subscription services would take away all their business, so now studios don't WANT to license their "real" movies to NF anymore, when they can get that sweet VOD money themselves. Now, if you don't want to watch Daredevil, you're pretty much stuck with gay movies, telenovelas, and indie horror/drama/documentaries that have nowhere else to go after the arthouses shut down.
We'd like to see it come back to the one-stop source it used to be, but realistically, that's not likely to happen. Those who five years ago sold their disk collection saying "Why bother, Netflix has it all now!", here, I'll lend you some boots to kick yourself with; you'll probably be wanting to very soon. (I was too smart to fall for such nonsense.)

Hulu is for those who cut the cable but still want to watch current network shows. I did, and don't.
But in addition to its collected "pile" of anime licenses from every single streaming channel--CR, Funi, Anime Channel, Neon Alley--they've also got the entire Criterion catalog, and if you've never delved into that, you'll have viewing for the next year.
And for those who just want Netflix for some vintage TV reruns for weekday comfort food, I've found Hulu has the bigger stock of vintage 60's, 70's and 80's network reruns from Universal and Shout Factory. There's a Hulu ad consisting of great TV catchphrases from the 70's and 80's, and if you're a Millennial kid who doesn't know the shows, Hulu's got them for you.

Ahh I forgot about the Criterion Collection! I remember watching a ton of them at a friend's house on her Hulu account back in the day, I fiend for Criterions. I usually just check them out at my local library though, they have a lot of them. But I might reconsider, and I never checked out their anime. I mostly watch documentaries on Netflix and the occasional movie or SatAM cartoon series (doing season 2 of Young Justice as I type this). I've noticed the recent dearth in good titles, though. And the themed category lists it serves me are occasionally laughable. "Exciting Movies" -- really? Amazon Prime sounds more like something I'd invest in for entirely different reasons, but I doubt I'd end up using their video service. Much in the same way that I virtually never use Google Play's movie service, either (a digital copy of the Jurassic Park trilogy is $90, for instance).
14777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16

xxJing wrote:
As to which streaming service I personally utilize the most, I'd have to say Hulu. I almost never watch movies, it's primarily TV-shows or anime for me. Usually when I feel like watching a movie it's something rather new. If I can rent it, then I do, if not I do go the less ethical route. I refuse to buy a movie before I have seen it.


Too bad, that's what studios are genuinely believing you'll do.
Which is one of the reasons I still predict VOD streaming is a bubble, and it's going to pop shortly after the fallout from UHD, but studios' faith in VOD isn't going to pull them back out of the fire when it does.
That said, I still save Vudu VOD (I can get full-download HDX and 3D on my PS3 box) pretty much only for the new-movie rentals I missed in theaters, and any full movie that I know is a keeper goes on my hard shelf.

With Hulu, Netflix, and the occasional PD Amazon digging, I look more for TV comfort food out of my subscription services, and while Netflix has good PBS documentaries, I'm currently digging through Hulu's stash of 70's network reruns I never could stay up for as a kid and don't come back on local stations anymore...Columbo, Bob Newhart and Mission: Impossible were insane genius of their day, with or without today's standards, and we barely even appreciated it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.