First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Mississip Passes Law Against Gays
4565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
Ok I'm bi-sexual with a prefrence towards boys and I sadly live in Mississippi. As everyone knows the southern states are racist and prejuidice.

Well lovely recently Mississippi just passed a law to refuse "service" to anyone who is in a same-sex relationship they can refuse to marry them, serve them, rent them a apartment, or just about anything as long as they state it's against their religious beliefs.

Fucking south man.
Fucking Mississippi this is the same states that banned sex toys because they promote sex. Ugh this state is so stupid.
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
News that surprises no one. Don't sweat it too much, though. The law won't last.
6638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
I would imagine that if you would legally challenge these statutes that the Supreme Court would (eventually) strike them down under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.
4565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

News that surprises no one. Don't sweat it too much, though. The law won't last.


You underestimate the stupidity of Mississippi.
48409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

Kerst wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:

News that surprises no one. Don't sweat it too much, though. The law won't last.


You underestimate the stupidity of Mississippi.


I live in Louisiana. I'm well accustomed to stupidity.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
It's shit like this that makes me glad I was born straight, white and male. Like geauxtigers1989 said though, don't sweat it. This would either get struck down immediately or taken to higher courts and then struck down (like gay marriage was). The most it will do is stall or cause those who fit the bill for this some temporary issues.

What's worse is most people you go around and ask about that type of shit, southern states or not, would think it's stupid. It's the crooks in power that pull this kind of shit.
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
I can understand certain churches refusing them but everything else is ridiculous.
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
unconstitutional, and if people challenge the law, it will be removed by the Supreme Court, as someone above said.
sadly, challenging the law is expensive...someone has to pay for the paperwork, attorney fees, etc.
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/16
Isn't there already a law that says an owner of a business can refuse to serve anyone for any reason?

What would this law even do?
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
I can understand refusing service if it requires you to support/assist a gay relationship, such as marrying them or making some sort of gay art when its against your beliefs, but how does being gay even affect renting an apartment.
224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / F
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

Kerst wrote:

Ok I'm bi-sexual with a prefrence towards boys and I sadly live in Mississippi. As everyone knows the southern states are racist and prejuidice.

Well lovely recently Mississippi just passed a law to refuse "service" to anyone who is in a same-sex relationship they can refuse to marry them, serve them, rent them a apartment, or just about anything as long as they state it's against their religious beliefs.

Fucking south man.
Fucking Mississippi this is the same states that banned sex toys because they promote sex. Ugh this state is so stupid.


I'm from the south too, and not everyone is like that. Education helps, but also people tend to not care too much about that sort of thing...unless someone starts stirring up trouble and hatred for each other. But that law is pretty harsh, I saw something in the news about it, but I didn't realize it was THAT serious. I mean come on, that's not exactly showing love, that's claiming God's territory, in my opinion. Someone is just trying to be mean and stir up hatred, using gays as the victims of choice this time.
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 2/19/16 , edited 2/19/16
The only option I can see is to relocate until this law is overturned.
17156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Online
Posted 2/19/16
What get me mad is you know some of the politicians who passed this law ARE closet gays in hetero relationships. This has been proved again and again by the number of politicians, relgious men who have been publicly outed when found with thier gay companion. Hypocracy and treason of the self and fellow human beings.
PS Their is a thread running "what offends you". Add you view.

PPS I'm straight and completely indifferent to anyone else's sexual identity.

PPPS Either we are all equal or none of us are
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/16

Ravenstein wrote:

I would imagine that if you would legally challenge these statutes that the Supreme Court would (eventually) strike them down under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.


Yep, leaving aside the Constitution, even HUD would have something to say about the apartment thing.

This is more just a deliberate saber-rattle, trying to portray the Right as starting an "angry revolution" for Trump and/or evangelical Rights, hoping to get a suit into court in the hopes that Ole Miss can howl in headlines that they're all being "attacked" and "martyred" by the current administration, especially one trying to "force" gays on them.
You don't have to be pro-gay (I think we all know by now I'm not) to hope to see them lose a big ol' Supreme Court battle, big time.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.