First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
How helpless would you be if the power went out?
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16
How helpless would you be if the power grid in the entire region went out and would not expected to be restored until 6 months up to a year? Due to a EMP attack or major disaster.

How screwed would you be? Food ready? Water? How would you keep warm? What would you do for entertainment? Protection?

Added this video to gave you a general idea of what could potentially happen during a large scale power outage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYoXxVnTePA#t=2677

8476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16
But this is fox news so...
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16

ILuvCats11 wrote:

But this is fox news so...

Edited, so stop whining and post on topic. LOL. I posted the link from Fox News just to use as an example. Stop trying to make this thread political for no reason.
148263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Overlord's Castle
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16
Its called buy a generator.

We ended up having to buy one when we lost power for a month. It sucked.
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16

Kira0309 wrote:

Its called buy a generator.

We ended up having to buy one when we lost power for a month. It sucked.

Do you have enough fuel to last for 6 months to a year? What would you do if a EMP attack knocks down the entire power grid and you can't use the generator or any electronics? Food? Water?
8476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 2/20/16

VividDreamZ wrote:


ILuvCats11 wrote:

But this is fox news so...

Edited, so stop whining and post on topic. LOL. I posted the link from Fox News just to use as an example. Stop trying to make this thread political for no reason.


I'm not.... never mind

So its the whole area loses power
148263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Overlord's Castle
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16

VividDreamZ wrote:


Kira0309 wrote:

Its called buy a generator.

We ended up having to buy one when we lost power for a month. It sucked.

Do you have enough fuel to last for 6 months to a year? What would you do if a EMP attack knocks down the entire power grid and you can't use the generator? Food? Water?


.....again....G.E.N.E.R.A.T.O.R.

Generators don't need power grids. And if its solar power then don't need fuel either. Not like an EMP is going to prevent me from getting fuel though.

Its pretty easy to obtain you're own food and water. Its called a shot gun/fishing pole and outdoor water distiller.

Ever heard of the Amish? They don't use electricity and they get by just fine.
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16

Kira0309 wrote:


VividDreamZ wrote:


Kira0309 wrote:

Its called buy a generator.

We ended up having to buy one when we lost power for a month. It sucked.

Do you have enough fuel to last for 6 months to a year? What would you do if a EMP attack knocks down the entire power grid and you can't use the generator? Food? Water?


.....again....G.E.N.E.R.A.T.O.R.

Generators don't need power grids. And if its solar power then don't need fuel either. Not like an EMP is going to prevent me from getting fuel though.

Its pretty easy to obtain you're own food and water. Its called a shot gun/fishing pole and outdoor water distiller.

Ever heard of the Amish? They don't use electricity and they get by just fine.

So you are going to speak to me like I am slow now. OK.

Some generators will work, some will not. Most generators have electronic motor management these days to regulate output voltage and frequency. So in the event that a EMP is large enough there is a "potential" it will not work.

I simply wanted to gauge everyones survivalist skills, and not everyone is Amish and can easily obtain their own food and water. I simply wanted to know your own methods for survival.
Posted 2/20/16
Not helpless at all. And since it's not a zombie apocalypse where it's pretty risky to go out and scavenge/loot, I think my cats and I will be perfectly fine. I have a ton of books and 1+ player board games. Plus don't need generators when you can just get your hand on car batteries and hook stuff up to them.
35025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 2/20/16
I guess it would suck differently depending on the time of year. Even then, not like we couldn't get by.
148263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Overlord's Castle
Offline
Posted 2/20/16


And I am telling you my methods of survival! I don't know why you are trying to argue about it.

I own a generator, I have 3 shot guns, 2 revolvers, 3 swords, 1 dagger. I have an outdoor water purifier. I have a ton of fishing poles. I own a boat. I am saying I will survive just fine in an apocalyptic world.
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16

Kira0309 wrote:



And I am telling you my methods of survival! I don't know why you are trying to argue about it.

I own a generator, I have 3 shot guns, 2 revolvers, 3 swords, 1 dagger. I have an outdoor water purifier. I have a ton of fishing poles. I own a boat. I am saying I will survive just fine in an apocalyptic world.

I already seen your methods of survival. And thank you. I was just stating my intentions for this topic and trying to clarify. Not arguing with you.

48910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16
I'll lose my mind at first but then I'll find a way to get over it. Maybe I can catch up on my reading and writing.
16173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Pennsylvania,US
Offline
Posted 2/20/16

MissKittenVicious wrote:

Not helpless at all. And since it's not a zombie apocalypse where it's pretty risky to go out and scavenge/loot, I think my cats and I will be perfectly fine. I have a ton of books and 1+ player board games. Plus don't need generators when you can just get your hand on car batteries and hook stuff up to them.


I dont know, it seems like it would be more risky if everyone else was still alive. zombies seem, SEEM easier to deal with than psychos
here's a certain scene from an old game on that subject.

On the generator subject i dont know if i would want to be the only one with power surrounded by thousands of people
who are willing to do just about anything to get a piece of that pie.
Gonna be using that shotgun for more than just hunting.

And i dont mean to be rude with this comment, honest curiosity, you said 1+ player board games,
are there any board games that can be played solo? or did i grasp that wrong?
1814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/20/16 , edited 2/20/16
Here is my response to this thread.

In the event of a large scale blackout. I haven't really planned extensively, it has been low priority on my list. My main concern would be protecting my valuables, food and water from people looting. In the event that I cannot successfully protect these items, I would need to construct a contingency plan if forced to evacuate my home.

• I have a 2 month supply of canned foods and MRE's.
• 2 month supply of water.
• Plenty of hand sanitizers and wipes.
• 2 Walkie Talkies with a decent amount of range.
• Decent supply of batteries.
• Tons of warm clothing and blankets.
• In progress of getting a firearm.
• Cheap solor powered radio.

I have one friend that lives close by, we would probably join forces to survive. I personally think once I lose my home and supplies I will probably not last too long unless I find shelter someplace else. It would become a situation where the strong take from the weak and I am not sure if I could steal or harm another innocent person to survive.

In crisis situations people are in survival mode, and in chaos people act crazy. People will not act orderly and obey the laws.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.