First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime Shows/Movie Recommendation for Children (Ages 10 & under)
23312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Fort Worth, TX
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
Hey everyone!

Working on another article for YattaTachi.com. This time I'm wondering what shows/movies would be great to show to children (under 10 years old).

Here's what I have so far:

Hamtaro
Chi's Sweet Home
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo

Requirements: Must be Rated G and be available Dubbed since most children will have difficulty reading subtitles.


As usual, be sure explain why your pick would work and I will select a few to quote in the article!

Thanks!
Posted 2/21/16
Pokemon, because it will suitably rot their brains.
22994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16
Kiki's delivery service is a great one. Girl power but has cool boy who is her friend- rated G 1989 Dub available

672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Country above...
Offline
Posted 2/21/16


Almost anything made by Studio Ghibli.
23833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Winter Park, FL
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
did Gundam Build a Fighter ever get a dub?
23312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Fort Worth, TX
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16

burr789 wrote:



Almost anything made by Studio Ghibli.



Honestly, there are a quite a few movies from Studio Ghibli that are not appropriate for children under 10. :-/
Is-9 
14284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Denmark
Online
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16
Since the Ghibli recommendation has already been given...

Princess Tutu

One of the smartest shows aimed at (the higher end of) that age group ever made. Plays with and subverts fairy tale tropes and the very concept of narrative in a way that's still easily accessible to kids. Also serves as a great introduction to classical music. If the kid in question is going through a ballet phase, this should be an easy sell.
26 episodes, standard anime dub.

Oban Star-Racers

This one literally aired on Toon Disney, so it's definitely for that age group, though since it's a Japanese-French co-pro some might not consider it 'true' anime. It does have a european flair to the designs, but the direction and style of storytelling is very anime and the vast majority of the staff is Japanese, so I'd say it counts. No matter what, Oban is a very gripping sci-fi story with a serialized plotline, well-rounded characters, and strong themes of family and loss.
26 episodes, dubbed in a ton of languages
(I'm not actually sure which voice track is the original)

Digimon Tamers

This one is a cautious recommendation for two reasons: One, the dub here is a typical early 2000s somewhat loose adaptation with added jokes and changed music, which IMO takes away a lot of the charm of the original. And two, this was written by Chiaki J. Konaka, the writer of Serial Experiments Lain, with apparently no-one to keep him in check, which means things get... disturbing at points. Not inappropriate per se, but definitely too scary for some kids. I mean...

That said, this is a great series for the right kid and the best alternative to the similar Dennou Coil (which was never licensed, let alone dubbed). Tamers takes the tropes of a typical merchandise-driven monster/card game show and explores them in a much more real way, with a cast of distinct and relatable kids and monsters and a well-constructed if initially slow-moving serialized storyline. Also, the monsters are EXTREMELY adorable.
51 episodes, less-than-faithful TV dub
1481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/23/16

Is-9 wrote:

Since the Ghibli recommendation has already been given...

Princess Tutu

One of the smartest shows aimed at (the higher end of) that age group ever made. Plays with and subverts fairy tale tropes and the very concept of narrative in a way that's still easily accessible to kids. Also serves as a great introduction to classical music. If the kid in question is going through a ballet phase, this should be an easy sell.
26 episodes, standard anime dub.

Oban Star-Racers

This one literally aired on Toon Disney, so it's definitely for that age group, though since it's a Japanese-French co-pro some might not consider it 'true' anime. It does have a european flair to the designs, but the direction and style of storytelling is very anime and the vast majority of the staff is Japanese, so I'd say it counts. No matter what, Oban is a very gripping sci-fi story with a serialized plotline, well-rounded characters, and strong themes of family and loss.
26 episodes, dubbed in a ton of languages
(I'm not actually sure which voice track is the original)

Digimon Tamers

This one is a cautious recommendation for two reasons: One, the dub here is a typical early 2000s somewhat loose adaptation with added jokes and changed music, which IMO takes away a lot of the charm of the original. And two, this was written by Chiaki J. Konaka, the writer of Serial Experiments Lain, with apparently no-one to keep him in check, which means things get... disturbing at points. Not inappropriate per se, but definitely too scary for some kids. I mean...

That said, this is a great series for the right kid and the best alternative to the similar Dennou Coil (which was never licensed, let alone dubbed). Tamers takes the tropes of a typical merchandise-driven monster/card game show and explores them in a much more real way, with a cast of distinct and relatable kids and monsters and a well-constructed if initially slow-moving serialized storyline. Also, the monsters are EXTREMELY adorable.
51 episodes, less-than-faithful TV dub

Tamers and Tutu? Jeez, that's some really dark stuff for kids. She did say these have to be rated G.
101435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / You, Knighted States
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
It's too bad a dub is required because Polar Bear Cafe is great for kids.
48597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
Cardcaptor Sakura
Pokemon
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 2/21/16
*Waits for someone to post Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note*
43662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
A one-shot short, having almost no dialog except for a couple of lines at the end: /traveling-daru The travels of a lost stuffed toy seeking its master. It feels like a Ghibli film even though it isn't.

Also: /sherlock-hound Hayao Miyazaki was responsible for the first 6 episodes. Anthropomorphic dogs and Jules Verne steampunk technology. How could you go wrong with that?
23312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Fort Worth, TX
Offline
Posted 2/22/16

saprobe wrote:

It's too bad a dub is required because Polar Bear Cafe is great for kids.


See? I was thinking that one too! :'( Maybe ONE DAY!
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 2/22/16

Lalanna wrote:

Hey everyone!

Working on another article for YattaTachi.com. This time I'm wondering what shows/movies would be great to show to children (under 10 years old).

Here's what I have so far:

Hamtaro
Chi's Sweet Home
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo

Requirements: Must be Rated G and be available Dubbed since most children will have difficulty reading subtitles.


As usual, be sure explain why your pick would work and I will select a few to quote in the article!

Thanks!

As a Dad with 4 kids all under 10, suggestions here are appreciated. What I've introduced my kids to so far include:
Chi's Sweet Home, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo (Which you already mentioned)

Donyatsu - Seems like an odd choice, but the anime removes enough of the overt references to the grim post-apocalyptic setting which my 6 year old son didn't pick up on. My 6 year old read the subtitles for the first episode of this one. To him, it's just a series about cats shaped like donuts & he finds the whole idea of that hilarious.
Doraemon - Disney XD has done a better job than some are giving them credit for, for the American adaptation. They put WAY too much effort into it at times to the point of over-Americanizing it, but the humor and fun is still there for little ones.
Yo-Kai Watch - Also currently on Disney XD in the US. My 6 year old son likes this. A lot.
23312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Fort Worth, TX
Offline
Posted 2/22/16 , edited 2/22/16


As a Dad with 4 kids all under 10, suggestions here are appreciated. What I've introduced my kids to so far include:
Chi's Sweet Home, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo (Which you already mentioned)

Donyatsu - Seems like an odd choice, but the anime removes enough of the overt references to the grim post-apocalyptic setting which my 6 year old son didn't pick up on. My 6 year old read the subtitles for the first episode of this one. To him, it's just a series about cats shaped like donuts & he finds the whole idea of that hilarious.
Doraemon - Disney XD has done a better job than some are giving them credit for, for the American adaptation. They put WAY too much effort into it at times to the point of over-Americanizing it, but the humor and fun is still there for little ones.
Yo-Kai Watch - Also currently on Disney XD in the US. My 6 year old son likes this. A lot.


These are all great examples!!! Thank you!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.